• Dear forum visitor,

It looks as though you have not registered for a forum account, or are not signed in. In order to participate in current discussions or create new threads, you will need to register for a forum account by clicking on the link below.

Click here to register for a forum account!

If you already have a forum account, you can simply click on the 'Log in' button at the top right of your forum screen.

Your Elvenar Team

Required culture for current level

DeletedUser

"Required culture for current level:" I would like to know how this is calculated (i.e., what is the formula?). Cookies for anyone who can tell me!

DeletedUser43

I'll buy the flour and sugar! I've been dying to know the answer to this for a long time.

DeletedUser366

fangterror -

Thank you for posting in Question and Help section in the forum.

Every building you build and every upgrade you make requires culture. The culture needed for the current level is related to your available culture. When you move from 125% bonus to the 150% bonus, the required culture for the current level will increase because you are on a new level. In order to maintain your cultural bonus, you're available culture cannot dip below that number.

Here's an example:
KBysOgw.png

If this character dips below 1800 available culture, he will revert back to 100% standard bonus. However, to attain the next level he has to get 3600 available culture. [Calculated as: available culture + neighborly help bonus + needed for next level] Hope this clarified your question.

https://en.wiki.elvenar.com/index.php?title=Culture

Hope it helps. Feel free to ask any more questions.

-Jarreth

DeletedUser

My question is how is the "1800" number calculated. The answer to my question cannot be found in the wiki.

Edit: No cookies just yet! :p

DeletedUser

I think that ingame mathematics, formulas, etc, etc, are not given out. If you think you have been wronged, it would be wise to submit a ticket. Just my IMHO.

DeletedUser43

No one is saying they have been wronged. We are trying to figure out where the numbers come from. This is a city building game and we are city planners. How can we plan unless we know the math?

Here is where I am baffled:

I currently have a city that requires 3990 culture. One would think that "requires" means the minimum number in order to have 100% culture. Ok.

I currently have 5616 culture points.

100% of 3990 is 3990.
125% of 3990 is 4987.
150% of 3990 is 5985.

Since I only have 5616 that should mean I need 369 culture points to get 150% because 5616 plus 369 equals 5985. But that is not even close to the case.

Because right now I have 800 neighborly help bonus and I still need ANOTHER 374 to get to 150%. Instead of needing 5985, for some bizarre reason the game figures I need 5616 plus 800 plus 374 which equals 6790. Why do I need so much culture? 150% of 3990 is 5985 but instead I need 6790. Why??? It is so messed up.

So, the question we all have is where on earth does the 1800 number in the example come from?
To make my numbers more clear:
Total Culture: 5616
Required culture: 3990
Available culture: 1626 (And shouldn't this be called excess culture and not available?)

Under the culture bonus tab:
Required culture: 1400 (Huh? Where does this number come from???)
Available culture: 1626 (Huh? Why does this number move over here but not the other numbers??)
Neighborly help bonus: 800
Need for next level 374

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

Here are my numbers:

Total pop: 2036
Working pop: 1837

Total culture: 5715
Required culture: 2294
Available culture: 3421

Bonus level: 170%
Required for current level: 3300 << Where does this number come from?
Available culture: 3421

My best guess was 1.7*1837, but that's only 3123....

Edit: I'm going keep updating this post as I get more data...
-------------------
Total pop: 2036 / 2036 / 2036 / 2036 / 2036 / 2046
Working pop: 1837 / 1893 / 1935 / 1949 / 1997 / 2044

Total culture: 5715 / 6431 / 6431 / 6431 / 6431 / 6586
Required culture: 2294 / 2452 / 2604 / 2610 / 2622 / 2744
Available culture: 3421 / 3979 / 3827 / 3821 / 3809 / 3842

Bonus level: 170%
Required for current level: 3300 / 3500 / 3600 / 3600 / 3700 / 3800

DeletedUser43

Or to put the questions another way:

100% of what?
125% of what?
150% of what?
160% of what?
170% of what?

DeletedUser

Or to put the questions another way:

100% of what?
125% of what?
150% of what?
160% of what?
170% of what?

That's actually a question I can answer. Those are multipliers that are applied to your coin/supply production (as discussed in the wiki). The real question is how do you know how much culture is required to unlock the respective thresholds? We might be able to figure it out more people post their numbers as I did.

DeletedUser

According to a post on the beta forum the distance between the culture levels are the same but how big the distance is between the culture levels depends on your available culture+working population.

DeletedUser43

My confusion may come from the fact that in two different spots they use the word "required" when speaking of culture. So, one would think the "required" culture from one tab would be the same "required" culture from the other tab. But apparently they are not the same required. I would use a different word. So, the one is how much culture is required in order to run your city and the other tab is a number of culture that you need for your bonus. ok

But, how do we figure out how much will be required for the bonus? It makes a big difference in city planning. Why have a component of the planning be a secret?

Update: Since my last post I have not upgraded a building, so my culture requirement has stayed the same. I have been building culture things all day. I can now tell you it will take exactly TWICE as much culture for a 150% bonus as for the 125% bonus. In order to get the 125% bonus, I need 1400. In order to get the 150%, I need 2800. The best culture item I can buy has 36 culture points per space (The Gift of the Garden Fairy). I would need to use 38 spaces in order to get that much culture. One expansion is only 25 spaces, so that means I would need to use one and half expansions just on culture in order to get that extra 25%. Forget it. If I get lucky and almost every neighbor I have come by to give me neighborly help at the same time, then I might get that extra boost. On beta, I am much more advanced and I would need 7 neighbors to come by at the same time, all of them polishing my Mysterious Cyclones, in order to get a boost from 150% to 160%. I can tell that is next to impossible. Oh...you might get that many in a day, but not at the same time.

I can also tell you that my city looks absurd on beta. I have more mysterious cyclones than level 15 houses. That would be like designing New York City to have more than one Lincoln Center every block.

According to a post on the beta forum the distance between the culture levels are the same but how big the distance is between the culture levels depends on your available culture+working population.
I don't see how the differences between the levels are the same percentage.

In order to get 125% I need 1400
In order to get 150% I need 2800
In order to get 160% I need 5800.

So, to go from 125% to 150%, I need to double my culture, and in order to go from 150% to only 160%, I need to MORE than double my culture again? How is that even steps? It just doesn't make any sense to keep your culture high after a while.

Crowella

I don't think it's intended to be even steps. Rather, it's a steep curve, especially at levels higher than 150. So it takes a lot more culture to get from 150 percent to 160 percent than it does to go from 100 to 125 percent. I assume this is to encourage people to ask themselves questions like "is it really worth it to spend way more on culture just to get an extra 10 percent? I could have a bunch of buildings doing other things and just have 10% less production of gold and resources, which I don't need that much anyway." Or something like that.

DeletedUser

it's the excess
My confusion may come from the fact that in two different spots they use the word "required" when speaking of culture. So, one would think the "required" culture from one tab would be the same "required" culture from the other tab. But apparently they are not the same required. I would use a different word. So, the one is how much culture is required in order to run your city and the other tab is a number of culture that you need for your bonus. ok

But, how do we figure out how much will be required for the bonus? It makes a big difference in city planning. Why have a component of the planning be a secret?

Update: Since my last post I have not upgraded a building, so my culture requirement has stayed the same. I have been building culture things all day. I can now tell you it will take exactly TWICE as much culture for a 150% bonus as for the 125% bonus. In order to get the 125% bonus, I need 1400. In order to get the 150%, I need 2800. The best culture item I can buy has 36 culture points per space (The Gift of the Garden Fairy). I would need to use 38 spaces in order to get that much culture. One expansion is only 25 spaces, so that means I would need to use one and half expansions just on culture in order to get that extra 25%. Forget it. If I get lucky and almost every neighbor I have come by to give me neighborly help at the same time, then I might get that extra boost. On beta, I am much more advanced and I would need 7 neighbors to come by at the same time, all of them polishing my Mysterious Cyclones, in order to get a boost from 150% to 160%. I can tell that is next to impossible. Oh...you might get that many in a day, but not at the same time.

I can also tell you that my city looks absurd on beta. I have more mysterious cyclones than level 15 houses. That would be like designing New York City to have more than one Lincoln Center every block.

I don't see how the differences between the levels are the same percentage.

In order to get 125% I need 1400
In order to get 150% I need 2800
In order to get 160% I need 5800.

So, to go from 125 to 150, I need to double my culture, and in order to go from 150 to only 160, I need to MORE than double my culture again? How is that even steps? It just doesn't make any sense to keep your culture high after a while.

It's the excess culture that you consider.......And the length should also increase if you have neighbors helping you.
Read this, xD
>>This<<

DeletedUser43

I don't understand this part:

We won't be releasing the exact formula for these calculations, but you are of course free to try and figure them out yourself!

Why not? Why keep it a secret?

DeletedUser

My guess is that it would make it so much easier to get 170% all the time that way. Because you would know what you exactly need to do to get the 170% or any other bonus

DeletedUser43

And why is that a problem, Cuddles? This is a city planning game. If I am going to build houses I need to know the rent I will get from them. That depends on the culture bonus. If I am going to build workshops I need to know the amount of supplies I will get from them. That too depends on the culture bonus. It is all a part of the planning. It is as silly to keep the culture bonus a secret as it would be to keep the cost of building a structure a secret.

Trust me. Even if you knew the exact number it would take to keep your culture at 170% you aren't going to bother after the initial stages of the game. You'd need to have too much of your city be culture to stay at that level. You gain more in rent and supplies by using the space for additional buildings with a low bonus than wasting it on culture points to keep the bonus high.

Unless you just have a thing for Spots of Whispering trees... :p

DeletedUser

the bonus is well a bonus you still know all the basic values you get from some building :p
Maybe there is another reason,but i've never heard of any browser game sharing any of their formulas so i doubt they will share this one:p

DeletedUser

Anyone who replies here: PLEASE take the time to submit this information as well:

Total pop: ???
Working pop: ???

Total culture: ???
Required culture: ???
Available culture: ???

Bonus level: ???
Required for current level: ???

TYVM!

DeletedUser

Total pop: 1928
Working pop: 1862

Total culture: 3480
Required culture: 1721
Available culture: 1759

Bonus level: 150%
Required for current level: 1400

Next level: 160%
Required for next level: 2200

Next level: 170%
Required for next level: 3000

DeletedUser

Bonus level: 150%
Required for current level: 1400

Next level: 160%
Required for next level: 2200

Thank you for contributing this useful information! Your tidbit shows us that "X" (see the thread in the beta forum linked by cuddles) is NOT constant as claimed in the beta thread... Explanation: 150% (2X=1400, so X=700); 160% (3X=2200, so X=733). Back to square one.