• Dear forum visitor,

It looks as though you have not registered for a forum account, or are not signed in. In order to participate in current discussions or create new threads, you will need to register for a forum account by clicking on the link below.

Click here to register for a forum account!

If you already have a forum account, you can simply click on the 'Log in' button at the top right of your forum screen.

Your Elvenar Team

Rotation

• Thread starter DeletedUser5659
  • Start date

DeletedUser5659

It would be nice to rotate the map and locations (where villages are built). It also would be nice to be able to rotate various structures for better placement in squares rather than one view. This would help in terms of use of space (village map).

SoggyShorts

Mathematician par Excellence
100% not going to happen I'm afraid. The developers have stated that the puzzle aspect of re-arranging buildings as they upgrade and change in shape/size is a core aspect of the game and will not be altered. Likewise there will be no building swap or storage feature.

DeletedUser5278

100% not going to happen I'm afraid. The developers have stated that the puzzle aspect of re-arranging buildings as they upgrade and change in shape/size is a core aspect of the game and will not be altered. Likewise there will be no building swap or storage feature.
That's unfortunate. There are those, like me, who were attracted by the aspect of creating an Elven city - not fighting battles. I want to create a vibrant fantasy community rather than just achieve maximum efficiency by creating a Stalinist megalopolis whose goal is simply to maximize production.

SoggyShorts

That's unfortunate. There are those, like me, who were attracted by the aspect of creating an Elven city - not fighting battles. I want to create a vibrant fantasy community rather than just achieve maximum efficiency by creating a Stalinist megalopolis whose goal is simply to maximize production.
You can still make a pretty city, you just have to plan ahead, or keep an expansion empty to give you room to rearrange things

DeletedUser5841

The ability to rotate buildings would not change the fact that you have to figure out how best to lay out the city. It would not take away the "puzzle" aspect since the buildings still change size when upgrading.

DeletedUser3799

When will they introduce the ability to rotate the buildings or has it already been done?

Sorry, guess I did not read enough posts. It would be nice if we could...

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser3799

Did not mean to offend, by the time I posted the top part of the thread loaded and I was able to read all of it, second post reflects my stupidity. Nevertheless, I was eager to join the forum to discuss my intrest in a game that has consumed most of my evenings. Perhaps, it was a mistake.

DeletedUser3297

I didn't mean to offend either, I am sorry. Inno will never allow building rotation or storage of any kind. It is the puzzle aspect of this game. :)

DeletedUser5906

I have posted this on another thread.
You should NOT have the ability to rotate the Squares of the building just the direction the buildings face.
the challenge is in the building squares needed.
But give us the ability to redesign the direction builds face.
for example
a 3x3 building should rotate in all four directions but a 3 x 1 should only rotate in the 2 directions that the squares are assigned to use

SoggyShorts

I have posted this on another thread.
You should NOT have the ability to rotate the Squares of the building just the direction the buildings face.
the challenge is in the building squares needed.
But give us the ability to redesign the direction builds face.
for example
a 3x3 building should rotate in all four directions but a 3 x 1 should only rotate in the 2 directions that the squares are assigned to use

Two possibilities exist for this:
1. the "other side" of the building looks exactly the same, so rotating it 180 degrees is pointless.
2. the "other side" looks different on each building, so being able to spin it 180 degrees would require that the developers DOUBLE the amount of artwork in the game.

DeletedUser5800

would require that the developers DOUBLE the amount of artwork in the game.
Double the work to make literally no difference in game play. On the list of things that need to be done, or at least would be vast improvements to game mechanics... for some reason this seems like the most likely one to happen. LOL :p :D

Deleted User - 1221058

I guess what is so stupid about the concept that being able to rotate buildings would ruin the puzzle aspect of the games, is look at games like SimCity and Sid Meier's Civilization games. Do not tell me that being able to rotate a building made any of those games less challenging or puzzle like or even made it less likely that someone that might play them in the cloud would not still spend money.

I do not buy the idea that rotating buildings would ruin that... in fact, what I do see, is the fact that it will drive more people away, towards games that do allow that function, purely because of frustration. Why stay frustrated here, when you can find another 'City Building' game elsewhere, that understands the needs and wants of the community which plays the game.

DeletedUser5278

I'm not a proponent of rotating the buildings 360 degrees - I would simply like to be able to flip them from right facing to left facing. This would enable players to be more creative and have more flexibility in laying out our cities. This wouldn't involve any extra design for the now-unseen rear of the building and could be done within the same grid layout we now have. It simply appears that the developers stubbornly refuse to do this. (I've raised three year olds, I recognize the attitude...;-)!

Last edited by a moderator:

SoggyShorts

look at games like SimCity and Sid Meier's Civilization games
Not even remotely the same kind of game.
The only challenge in Elvenar is trying to fit what you want/need into a limited space. To keep that challenge interesting, every couple chapters your building upgrades cause a 90 degree rotation to occur--that forces you to change your city around to accommodate the new orientation.
Removing this aspect of the game by allowing you to flip buildings 90 degrees would indeed greatly reduce the puzzle aspect of a game that doesn't have very many other aspects.

Deleted User - 1221058

Not even remotely the same kind of game.
The only challenge in Elvenar is trying to fit what you want/need into a limited space. To keep that challenge interesting, every couple chapters your building upgrades cause a 90 degree rotation to occur--that forces you to change your city around to accommodate the new orientation.
Removing this aspect of the game by allowing you to flip buildings 90 degrees would indeed greatly reduce the puzzle aspect of a game that doesn't have very many other aspects.

Actually they are the same kind of game. This is a city building game, albeit a fantasy one. Yes, SimCity goes even deeper into what you can control, but if you are seriously trying to suggest that the so-called puzzle aspect of the game is the only challenging part of this, then perhaps you should quit playing it right now. I don't want them to change it to make the game easier to play, I want to do it or aesthetics and for the ability to add more to the puzzles. Even in Tetris, which by your comment, is perhaps the only game that might be similar in challenge, you can rotate the pieces to make them fit better.

From what I have seen, there are a lot of other aspects to this game, beyond just a simple puzzle, that makes it interesting. If that were all this game had to offer, I would be gone a long time ago. In fact I think a lot of people would have quit by now, if some simple puzzle design is all the game had to offer.

Gath Of Baal

Actually they are the same kind of game. This is a city building game, albeit a fantasy one
This has ceased to be a fantasy city builder game for some time now... There are no updates or has been no updates for the city building aspect for quite some time ... Yes, they have released guest races, but I consider that game progression and not actually city building... You have no real choices over what path your city takes and very limited choices over what you can do to your city... With the exception of the Event buildings in cities, everyone's cities look pretty much the exact same, Since the game emphasis is on trying to cram as much stuff on a limited amount of space as possible, ultimately leads to everything looking the same... Things like no building rotation, no customization, lack of things to city build with, only proves that the city building aspect is not really alive...
This game however has turned into a fantasy city manager game.. You manage your resources, supplies, gold, fellowships, trades, troops, upgrades, knowledge research and city space... I like the manager aspect of the game, but still would like to city build eventually ...

The true challenge in this game is trying to find the right balance of building space to place everything, while maintaining progress and profitable production, and that is the puzzle of each city to find the right balance within the system in place...