• Dear forum visitor,

It looks as though you have not registered for a forum account, or are not signed in. In order to participate in current discussions or create new threads, you will need to register for a forum account by clicking on the link below.

Click here to register for a forum account!

If you already have a forum account, you can simply click on the 'Log in' button at the top right of your forum screen.

Your Elvenar Team

Rumor has it that the non-working /who feature isn't going to be fixed

• Thread starter DeletedUser9971
  • Start date

Gath Of Baal

What is more important to me than /who is /w. Being able to communicate directly to certain players via whispering in chat.

Yep I agree the /w was of more value to me then the /who.. Boy oh Boy!! how many times did I /w someone ,only to have it fail and show up to everyone in regular chat to cause some real serious awkward moments that afterword's needed context and explanations to the rest of the fellowship.. HAHA :)
Near the end I just started mailing the people I wanted 1 on 1 conversations with to avoid the failed /w

DeletedUser12171

regardless, I believe it when people say that this chat was only a beta test. because it is a rather sad excuse for a live chat function in an MMO game like this.

Deleted User - 841850

Since this is the first time I've played an online game I never knew that these functions existed until I tried them when I found out about the hot keys and by then they weren't working. It sounds like a good thing if it's available, that way you can tell if someone is on and possibly able to answer you at the time or if you should send it to mail and know that it might be a little while longer. I have been getting along fine without it but I can imagine that if it's a tool that you have been making good use of it's a pain to not have it available. As for me, I'll just be glad when my chat messages entirely stop looping.

DeletedUser12485

I use the /who when online but I never thought anyone was ignoring me if they didn't respond. I always took the thought that they were busy doing daily game stuff. Guess I do not have a problem with non-responses when I see people in their cities but it can be helpful sometimes knowing who is on. /who is sorely missed.

DeletedUser5202

Oh for pity's sakes tibsno & RandomNo. the /who feature was always there in the apx. year I've been playing Elvenar. It may have been un-documented, who knows, who cares .... and the nature of a rumor is by definition "a currently circulating story or report of uncertain truth and/or something that's being circulated as an unverified account." AGAIN, who knows, who cares. Bottom line boys, we had it, now we don't.

We play this game because we like it. It passes for home entertainment instead of TV or reading ect. What the dev's need to keep in mind is that Elvenar is FAR from free for many of us. Our $9.99's and our $19.99's and our $49.99's are spent to support our city's directly and Inno games indirectly. But spent we do.. Financial support in lew of a monthly/yearly subscription fee is our responsibility to allow Inno games to continue to support and advance our game to attract and keep an ever increasing number of players. On the other hand, it's the responsibility of Inno games to within reason keep the members happy, ADD features, and create as little frustration as possible. This is all a basic tenant.

Don't listen to the players, take features away from the players, shove unwanted features down the players throats and the players leave for less frustration filled waters.It's joked about, here in the forum, I for one, enjoy the hell out of Elvenar and don't want to be driven away by a few stupid decisions. Listen to your players and try hard to fill reasonable requests and the players will stay and financially support the game.

I don't need your pity! I simply asked a question, since RUMOR is rumor, I wanted a direct link if in fact there was a discussion or announcement about it. That's it!

DeletedUser1349

Update

The loss of /who has totally destroyed chat in my fellowship. People don't want to chat into the wind, not knowing if anyone is online.

We need it back Inno and I am prepared to beg!

As for the claim in this thread that we see people in chat and harass them to chat, that never happens and is a bogus claim. We know who chats and who doesn't. Harassing members is the best way to get them to leave, something we never want.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser12171

Lol seriously, "from very chatty to almost nothing", just because of lack of /who? I can't tell if this is sarcastic hyperbole or serious, but if this is real, I would honestly doubt that members in your FS actually like talking at all. Chat in my FS has not changed in the slightest. If anything, the last FA got many of us excited and people are interacting in chat more than before. Let's be honest here. If people like to chat, lack of /who is just a minor inconvenience. If not, nothing in the basic user interface is going to help them chat. So stop the hyperbolic bs and work on your team spirit and communication, and maybe the chat won't "become nothing"

And the "I want my ice cream and I want it now!!!!!!!!!!!!!" posts popping up all the time over every single issue. I have played this game for almost a year now, initially I had the impression that the general population was older adults. However from the forum posts I would never have guessed.

Last edited by a moderator:

shynner

What is more important to me than /who is /w. Being able to communicate directly to certain players via whispering in chat. /who helped the use of /w by allowing you to know whom you could whisper to and whom you couldn't. And then there is /help which was the directory listing the other two commands.

Without the /who function, you wouldn't know if the individual is even on to whisper to them until you have gone to the trouble of typing a message to that person, hitting send and pop up comes up that they are not found.

I equate the ability to use the /who function to the ability to see who is in a room of people at a gathering. If you don't see a certain individual in the room, you won't have any reason to begin a conversation with them. Not having that function and the whisper function is hindering communication and socializing as well.

DeletedUser5521

In 2 of my FS's when I log on and open the chat window I kind of chuckle a little when I see several posts of "/who" interspersed with a couple lines of dialog, usually by someone pointing out "/who doesn't work anymore :( ", but in 2 other FS's it's just dialog, same as it ever was. For me, the /who feature wasn't something I ever really used and I don't miss it. But apparently others do, and I am genuinely surprised by how much people seemed to depend on this feature :oops:

DeletedUser12171

In my FS, there are 3 kinds of people. 1. Those who say "gm!" "Hey guys" and "hola" the moment they are on, 2. Those who start/jump into a conversation as and when they feel like it but not announcing their presence until that time, and 3. Those who never start convos and join in only occasionally. I have no idea how much each person uses /who but I can tell you for sure that none of the 3 styles of chat require /who to work. Thankfully we have enough of 1. and 2. that chat is alive. /who is not a chat genie, it won't make your people talk if they aren't interested. I liked it too but don't make a mountain out of a molehill.

shynner

In 2 of my FS's when I log on and open the chat window I kind of chuckle a little when I see several posts of "/who" interspersed with a couple lines of dialog, usually by someone pointing out "/who doesn't work anymore :( ", but in 2 other FS's it's just dialog, same as it ever was. For me, the /who feature wasn't something I ever really used and I don't miss it. But apparently others do, and I am genuinely surprised by how much people seemed to depend on this feature :oops:

Not really a "depend on" thing.. more of a "nice to have" thing. I am really surprised and disappointed that they have removed it. A lot of ppl have gotten used to having it. It does leave a bit of a void for those of us who enjoyed the /who and the whisper features.

SoggyShorts

Mathematician par Excellence
I'm surprised no one has mentioned trades. I would think that if you needed a trade for a quest or to get through a tech that the /who command would be really useful.
/who
1. No one is online, post the trade and check back in a while, or use the wholesaler
or
2. A few players are on:
"I posted a trade, just need 1,200 steel for a quest"

Is that not a thing that happens? Especially with back to back quests where you need 1200 steel, then 1200 planks, then 1200 marble for 3 different quests.
I mean, I know you can post "Hello? Anyone there?" and wait, but that seems inferior to me.

DeletedUser12171

I'm surprised no one has mentioned trades. I would think that if you needed a trade for a quest or to get through a tech that the /who command would be really useful.
/who
1. No one is online, post the trade and check back in a while, or use the wholesaler
or
2. A few players are on:
"I posted a trade, just need 1,200 steel for a quest"

Is that not a thing that happens? Especially with back to back quests where you need 1200 steel, then 1200 planks, then 1200 marble for 3 different quests.
I mean, I know you can post "Hello? Anyone there?" and wait, but that seems inferior to me.
What's stopping you from simply posting and saying in chat anyway? Are you saying that if you don't know who's on, you can't post the trade?

SoggyShorts

Mathematician par Excellence
What's stopping you from simply posting and saying in chat anyway? Are you saying that if you don't know who's on, you can't post the trade?
No, I'm saying that with the /who feature

if I know that no one is online I'll post the trade, say so in chat, and leave.
Or
if I know players are online, then I'll hang around for a bit for one to take the trade.

I thought that was clear.o_O It has nothing to do with who is on, just if anyone is on.
Now, without the feature, I post the trade, say I have the trade up in chat, wait.....wait...not sure if someone is on but busy for a minute, or if I'm the only one online...... well screw it, I'll check back later.

Last edited:

DeletedUser12171

No, I'm saying that with the /who feature

if I know that no one is online I'll post the trade, say so in chat, and leave.
Or
if I know players are online, then I'll hang around for a bit for one to take the trade.

I thought that was clear.o_O It has nothing to do with who is on, just if anyone is on.
Now, without the feature, I post the trade, say I have the trade up in chat, wait.....wait...not sure if someone is on but busy for a minute, or if I'm the only one online...... well screw it, I'll check back later.
I have done those kind of trades several times and I never relied on /who for it. I usually just post the trade and say in chat, "quest trade up, planks for steel" etc. and wait. If someone takes it immediately, great. Otherwise I check back later. I never felt it was a problem to have to do that, and I don't need it to be taken immediately, neither do I need to know if there's anyone online at all to do it. Perhaps it's just different preferences, but that's why lack of /who doesn't bother me in this aspect