• Dear forum visitor,

It looks as though you have not registered for a forum account, or are not signed in. In order to participate in current discussions or create new threads, you will need to register for a forum account by clicking on the link below.

Click here to register for a forum account!

If you already have a forum account, you can simply click on the 'Log in' button at the top right of your forum screen.

Your Elvenar Team

Scouting/Completing provinces

DeletedUser2959

So it is good or bad to scout and complete more provinces than necessary now? I'm a little muddled. Does it make fights harder in the Spire/Tournaments? I like having a big territory, but I don't want to hamstring myself.

I did go and backfill all the SS upgrades I had skipped. RIP my Orc population.

StarLoad

Over Scouting, pre-Orc is Bad, over scouting post-Orc is fine based on the old rules, but as we have seen this may change but for now you are "safe" to scout to your heart's content.

Deleted User - 3932582

Scouting beyond 500 provinces or so makes no difference now. The last chapter needs 480, the last expansion requires 500. Outside of very specific circumstances basically no one will be going 50+ provinces in tournaments. Scouting rewards from AWs / evolution buildings are laughable. Unless you're desperate for relics on demand (event quests?), I see no reason even to keep on scouting. It doesn't make things worse, but neither does it make better.

Enevhar Aldarion

Oh Wise One
Scouting beyond 500 provinces or so makes no difference now. The last chapter needs 480, the last expansion requires 500. Outside of very specific circumstances basically no one will be going 50+ provinces in tournaments. Scouting rewards from AWs / evolution buildings are laughable. Unless you're desperate for relics on demand (event quests?), I see no reason even to keep on scouting. It doesn't make things worse, but neither does it make better.

The scouting expansion for chapter 17 will require 525 completed provinces.

DeletedUser2959

Thank you!! I take what you say as canon, so that's enough for me.

Deleted User - 4750465

Over Scouting, pre-Orc is Bad, over scouting post-Orc is fine based on the old rules, but as we have seen this may change but for now you are "safe" to scout to your heart's content.
Why is over scouting bad? I understand the impacts of over scouting, but there are plenty of benefits as well.

samidodamage

Buddy Fan Club member
Why is over scouting bad?
Over scouting before you can produce little green orc heads will cause a hard stop in map province completion when you reach provinces that are 11 rings away from your city if you can't produce them. They will be required for negotiating every encounter in that ring and beyond. At that point, if you are pre-Orc chapter it is unlikely your troops will be strong enough to win fights there. You must be in Orc chapter (defined by the game as having activated Adv Scout tech for Ch8) to get event/crafting bldgs that will provide those green orcs. You will be able to produce them in armories once you've gotten to the research in the Orc chapter that allows you to upgrade them to at least lvl 20. Once your armories are upgraded, you set them for production (they costs supplies) the same way you set goods productions in factories.
That's why @Ed1960 made the distinction between over scouting pre-Orc and post-Orc.

StarLoad

Another reason over scouting is bad is that you will often cause you to scout provinces that are hard and very hard. As a smart play, you should avoid this as it will increase the cost of many parts of the game. I make it a rule never to go above easy(green) for scouting provinces and never more than needed for the chapter.

Deleted User - 4750465

Over scouting before you can produce little green orc heads will cause a hard stop in map province completion when you reach provinces that are 11 rings away from your city if you can't produce them. They will be required for negotiating every encounter in that ring and beyond. At that point, if you are pre-Orc chapter it is unlikely your troops will be strong enough to win fights there. You must be in Orc chapter (defined by the game as having activated Adv Scout tech for Ch8) to get event/crafting bldgs that will provide those green orcs. You will be able to produce them in armories once you've gotten to the research in the Orc chapter that allows you to upgrade them to at least lvl 20. Once your armories are upgraded, you set them for production (they costs supplies) the same way you set goods productions in factories.
That's why @Ed1960 made the distinction between over scouting pre-Orc and post-Orc.
That just means you can't scout anymore from that point forward until you can get Orcs. I still disagree that it makes it "bad". You all are still overlooking the benefits of over-scouting - tournament, expansions, crystal lighthouse, etc. Even in the new tournament format a small to mid size city is able to clear most of the provinces up to 5 stars.

Aritra

Over scouting before you can produce little green orc heads will cause a hard stop in map province completion when you reach provinces that are 11 rings away from your city if you can't produce them.
How do I know which ring a province is in? I imagine it isn't necessary to count as the game will tell you (surely), but where?
It is easy to simply count, if I'm identifying the rings correctly. I just expected the game to say *somewhere*.

Last edited:

Iyapo1

I understand the impacts of over scouting, but there are plenty of benefits as well.

New players do not always understand the impact. They have such short scouting times that they can scout themselves to a dead stop. So boil it down.

Over Scouting is bad. It will interfere with your ability to participate in events. It will quickly over run your production capabilities and grind your city and map expansion progress to a halt. Also, hard wall at ring 11.

Of course, once you understand the impact this has on your city you can work around it. I think a lot of players do. They need that specific relic, they want to open another tourney province for the push, for an event, they need more KP, or whatever reason. Balancing production against needs is the game.

Deleted User - 4750465

New players do not always understand the impact. They have such short scouting times that they can scout themselves to a dead stop. So boil it down.

Over Scouting is bad. It will interfere with your ability to participate in events. It will quickly over run your production capabilities and grind your city and map expansion progress to a halt. Also, hard wall at ring 11.

Of course, once you understand the impact this has on your city you can work around it. I think a lot of players do. They need that specific relic, they want to open another tourney province for the push, for an event, they need more KP, or whatever reason. Balancing production against needs is the game.
That's well said. Over scouting is not bad. Over scouting and not understanding the impact or how to build your city to support it is bad.

samidodamage

Buddy Fan Club member
How do I know which ring a province is in?
On the browser (haven't checked on mobile), when you go to the world map they added a honeycomb shaped icon at the bottom where you can choose the next province to scout. The first column in the Scoutable provinces tab shows the ring number where that province is located. Before they added this feature, all we could do was count the hexes going out from our city.

Aritra

On the browser (haven't checked on mobile), when you go to the world map they added a honeycomb shaped icon at the bottom where you can choose the next province to scout. The first column in the Scoutable provinces tab shows the ring number where that province is located. Before they added this feature, all we could do was count the hexes going out from our city.
Thanks! I had seen that and figured the arrow was telling me where they were located from me. I didn't know the number there indicated the ring level discussed.

Ashrem

Oh Wise One
That's well said. Over scouting is not bad. Over scouting and not understanding the impact or how to build your city to support it is bad.
Bad is being used by players in the sense of wasting resources. "Over" scouting literally costs you more to do the same number of provinces at the defined pace. Each advanced scout tech reduces the cost of any provinces scouted after that, and therefore reduces the troop loss or expense of goods for negotiating. As a result, scouting early means you pay twice, more coin to scout and more resources to clear.

Aritra

How do you know if you are keeping pace with the game (not "over-scouting") since the ring numbers don't correspond to chapters?
The experienced players try to warn newbies about the danger of over-scouting and say "don't do it!" but never *how* to avoid it.
Maybe that part of the advice is in another thread and I didn't search/dig far enough...
I'm trying to remember when the game even tells you to scout other than Event quests (I don't know about spire, which is extra).

Ashrem

Oh Wise One
How do you know if you are keeping pace with the game (not "over-scouting") since the ring numbers don't correspond to chapters?
The experienced players try to warn newbies about the danger of over-scouting and say "don't do it!" but never *how* to avoid it.
Maybe that part of the advice is in another thread and I didn't search/dig far enough...
I'm trying to remember when the game even tells you to scout other than Event quests (I don't know about spire, which is extra).
Each chapter requires a certain number of provinces completed for you to pass into it. While there is no defined maximum, anything over that requirement is costing more.

That said, the cost is not large within the scale of the game, so when you take the opportunity cost of the extra KP and expansions from doing more provinces, it is usually a net gain for eat least 10-20% over the requirement.

Ashrem

Oh Wise One
The first tech in every chapter tells you how many provinces are required to be completed before you can open the chapter. the sample below is for chapter IV, while I am at the end of the tree, so it says I have 499 of the 50 I need.:
1602775000227.png