• Dear forum visitor,

It looks as though you have not registered for a forum account, or are not signed in. In order to participate in current discussions or create new threads, you will need to register for a forum account by clicking on the link below.

Click here to register for a forum account!

If you already have a forum account, you can simply click on the 'Log in' button at the top right of your forum screen.

Your Elvenar Team

Spells Are USELESS

DeletedUser

Anyone can go to the beta forums and read whatever is posted there with or without a Beta account
Yes, but without a Beta account we can only read, and can't click on thumbnails, or join in the discussion with any "alarming" comments or ideas. :eek::eek::eek:

Oh dear...we're not supposed to know that once we buy an Academy, it will cost to update?

I think that plenty of players are interested to know what to expect - but far fewer have the patience required to play through the endless bugs of Beta.

Are there any confidentiality requirements posted for Beta users?
Hoorah! I got posts deleted! Is that enough to get me into the Bobby-bobbi "you have been warned" club yet?

*runs screaming like a little girl as big burly bouncers approach, shaking scary and alarming pom-poms* :eek:

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser551

Let us take the time to review some forum rules.
  • Discussing infractions given by the moderator team as well as punishments given in-game is prohibited on the external forums and should only be done via submitting a support ticket.
  • Mod-bashing is also strongly prohibited. Complaints about moderators should also be done via submitting a support ticket which will be seen by the Community Manager.
  • Spamming the boards is also against the forum rules; to spam the boards is to post messages that are completely irrelevant to the original discussion of a thread.
  • Multi-posting is also a violation of the forum rules; RezaGard received a warning regarding multi-posting previously, yet broke the same rule again hours later.
Please stick to discussing Spells in this thread, and nothing more. From this post forward, there will be no leniency towards spamming, and/or any forms of mod-bashing from me or any other member of the moderator team.
Consider this a public warning that if this thread gets further out of line, I'll be forced to lock it from further replies.

DeletedUser43

Please refrain from alarmist posts

????? Huh ?????

I stated a fact. I didn't even comment on that fact. As everyone here has mentioned, the beta forums are open to anyone to read at any time. Beta is open to anyone to join at any time. Anyone can join beta right now and go post in the beta forums. And are they really still beta now that we have jumped from version .35 to 1.00?

What I find more interesting is that you think that the actions of the developers are alarming. Are you saying this game is going in an alarming manner in your opinion? I would agree with that wholeheartedly. As nearly every change started in beta one to two weeks before it is brought over here, beta isn't really beta...but more of a time machine with a glimpse into our future. If you, or anyone else thinks that requiring diamonds for an upgrade is a problem, then I would suggest complaining now. Once it has been brought over here, it is next to impossible to change anything.

I have a question for anyone who has built a magic academy here....can you upgrade it to level 3 without the use of diamonds?

DeletedUser43

Hey, that's right, Riggs. Thanks. I am really baffled. Why on earth would I get a huge public chastising for talking about a feature we have here? It isn't any different here is it? It DOES cost diamonds to upgrade the thing to level 3, right? So, I repeat my giant....huh?????

QUOTE="Frenesis, post: 11607, member: 551"]Multi-posting is also a violation of the forum rules;[/QUOTE]

And yet, other players do it all the time. I couldn't care less since this forum is so dead most of the time it is great to see anyone post anything. But, if you are going to selectively enforce rules, no one will understand. Here is an example of an entire thread that started with multiple posts.

https://us.forum.elvenar.com/index.php?threads/brainstorming-about-tournaments.1728/

I do not understand what is going on. I am not bashing anyone, I am genuinely confused.

DeletedUser627

Hey, that's right, Riggs. Thanks. I am really baffled. ....

QUOTE="Frenesis, post: 11607, member: 551"]Multi-posting is also a violation of the forum rules;
[/QUOTE]

I just re-read the Forum Rules, which seem to have been updated. There's a lot of wording about politeness and respect now...

But there's no current Rules regarding multi-posting. We're not supposed to make dupliate posts, but the former mention of "multi-posting" has been deleted.

Apparently the new rules apply to some members, and the old deleted rules to other members.

DeletedUser43

How interesting Bobbi, thanks.

I am back to my original thought though. If even a forum moderator thinks a new feature is particularly alarming, shouldn't that concept be discussed in detail? I think it is a big change that the game is now requiring diamonds in order to move forward. That is brand new to Elvenar and this concept comes along very early in the game. In fact, the building is so pivotal that you cannot delete it. I fear this changes this game to essentially pay only. I think that may change the makeup of the players drastically.

Maz Mellor

Just chiming in that I too would like to know how far it is possible to develop the Magic Academy without purchasing diamonds. It requires quite an investment of space, after all—an entire expansion—not to mention a bunch of KP and relics, which I gather will have other uses later on in the development of my city. AND it can't be sold/deleted. For all those reasons, I'm hesitant to invest in building it. Then again, my Archmage has already taken the plunge, so I will soon be able to profit from her experience and the wisdom gained therefrom....

DeletedUser61

I'm still researching the techs, but here's my understanding.
  • In production we can build a single level Magic Academy. It does NOT require Relics to build, but it does require unboosted relics to make either of two spells. It can't be deleted, similar to the Builders Hut.
  • In Beta a more complex MA is available for testing, that CAN be upgraded to level 2 without diamonds, whereupon it provides a third spell. If you want to make several concurrent spells, then you have to pay diamonds for that level 3 capability.
  • This is also similar to the Builders Hut, although the tutorial upgrade to level 2 is a Diamond gimme. In the Builders Hut you DO have to pay Diamonds for level 3, and the ability to support more concurrent upgrades (builders).
Please note that I'm not saying that it's either awful or wonderful, that discussion belongs in the Beta forum. I'm just trying to correct some erroneous information.

But there's no current Rules regarding multi-posting. We're not supposed to make dupliate posts, but the former mention of "multi-posting" has been deleted.
The current forum rules, which were last updated on July 29, 2015 as you can tell by looking in the lower left corner, include.
5. Posting Protocol
- Avoid duplicate posts! You have access to both the 'edit' and the 'multi-quote' buttons, use them.

Maz Mellor

I'm still researching the techs, but here's my understanding.
  • In production, here, we can build a single level Magic Academy. It does NOT require Relics to build, but it does require unboosted relics to make either of two spells. It can't be deleted, similar to the Builders Hut.
  • In Beta, there, a more complex MA is available for testing, that CAN be upgraded to level 2 without diamonds, whereupon it provides a third spell. If you want to queue up MORE spells, then you have to pay diamonds for that capability. This is also similar to the Builders Hut, although in that case the upgrade to level 2 is a Diamond gimme, but you do have to pay Diamonds for level 3, and the ability to support more concurrent upgrades (builders).

Heh. Thanks for this, Katwijk. It looks to me, though, like I will have to spend boosted relics to build the Academy—see attached screenshot from my Build menu (I'm boosted in marble, crystal, and gems). If I spend those 12 relics to build the Academy, does that mean my manufacturing boosts decline accordingly? That would kind of suck, especially given how expensive encounters are in the provinces I'm exploring these days.

Meanwhile, the cost of researching/unlocking the technology in the first place is, at least, totally appropriate for the end of chapter 1, IMHO.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-02-19 at 1.58.07 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2016-02-19 at 1.58.07 AM.png
    460.1 KB · Views: 60

DeletedUser828

I have no plan to even build one....at this point in the game for me I am still waiting for an upgrade that allows me to upgrade my buildings. I've spent a ton of money to play this game and my largest city has been sitting mute, slowly falling backward in rank for lack of upgrades in the game. The magic crap doesn't help me at this point for I have a ton of goods, coins and supplies because I can't do much but trade. As far as my other cities they are advanced enough I really don't see the need for this useless addition to the game. What happened to a new Race??? Did it run off?

DeletedUser627

BobbyKitty - your player name is too disarming. BobbyTiger Lawyer would be more fair - we'd all make more careful word choices.

Spells and the Academy...The diamond upgrade information places the Magic Academy, Builders and Land Expansions on equal terms - so we assume that the intent is that they'll become equally necessary. We can play with only 2 builders, and we can play without diamond land expansions, so we suppose it will be possible to play with an Academy at Level 2.

But in each of these aspects, frustration is the result of trying to play without diamonds. In fact, we see that frustration is Inno's most frequent choice of incentivizer. Diamonds are the solution for "too slow", "too small", "too slow again", "too few"....

I don't know the technical terms for consumer marketing strategies, but I'm sure that this approach is intentional. Some games elect for pleasure incentivizers, some for impulse spending, some a combination of approaches. It seems that Elvenar - a peaceful non-competitive world that appeals to intelligent cooperative consumers - is being pushed by a marketing strategy ill-suited to its players. Frustration doesn't motivate us: we either wait it out, quit, or get mad. Personally, I spent money because I wanted to catch up; since then, the constant frustrations have caused me to stop spending $. I don't think I speak for everyone, but I've been listening to players and hearing the growing tones of frustration. Frustration which - even if it results in spending - doesn't alleviate the tensions.

How does this relate to this thread? I can envision fellow players foregoing a cup of Starbucks in order to have the pleasure of upgrading an Academy - but we're far less likely as a group to give up a small pleasure just to temporarily alleviate a frustration we know is planned by Inno, and which they intend to repeat. This correlates to studies about the spending preferences of intelligent customers.

We've all given suggestions regarding things we'd actually like to spend money on - and if you review what players have written, they want to spend in order to get something they want. We do want Elvenar - but not an Elvenar where developers want to keep us in a state of frustration in hopes of driving sales.

DeletedUser43

Heh. Thanks for this, Katwijk. It looks to me, though, like I will have to spend boosted relics to build the Academy

In production we can build a single level Magic Academy. It does NOT require Relics to build, but it does require unboosted relics to make either of two spells.

I guess I am going to be anti-alarmist here.....in beta....you can read the threads yourself https://beta.forum.elvenar.com/index.php?threads/discussion-release-notes-version-1-0.4231/ or I'll just tell you. As Kat has correctly stated, because he plays on beta too,....they decided in beta to remove the need to use relics to build the academy due to complaints just as you said. So good news.....I would guess that is coming here in a week or so. I am really surprised they brought the feature over here with the old cost.

https://beta.forum.elvenar.com/inde...release-notes-version-0-35-spells.4043/page-6

Anyone who wants to is free to come join us on the beta server if you want a new world to play and to find out all the new proposed changes. :)

This is also similar to the Builders Hut

The diamond upgrade information places the Magic Academy, Builders and Land Expansions on equal terms

I didn't think of it that way. You and Bobbi are correct. I guess you can still go forward but if you want a better academy you have to pay for it. So, maybe that really isn't a change in philosophy at all. That is good news. :)

The current forum rules, which were last updated on July 29, 2015 as you can tell by looking in the lower left corner, include.
(emphasis added)

Ok...thanks for correcting Bobbi. So, let me see if I have this straight....there is one set of rules for all of us, that you can quote and are quick to snarkily point out, yet, you don't follows those rules and are never called out for them. You can imagine that to many of us on the forums, this is considered grossly unfair. https://us.forum.elvenar.com/index.php?threads/brainstorming-about-tournaments.1728/ I count FIVE posts in a row by you Kat. Maybe you need to look in the lower left corner of the forum rules? Frankly, I couldn't care less if anyone posts multiple times, often I think it is much easier to read a few posts in a row rather than one very long one...as this one has gotten...but if you are going to point out to others from a high horse that they should be able to notice a rule, well, then you better be the one to follow it.

DeletedUser627

Posts were merged and a warning was given regarding the multi-posting rule.
5. Posting Protocol
- Avoid duplicate posts! You have access to both the 'edit' and the 'multi-quote' buttons, use them.

"Duplicate" isn't a synonym for "multi". They're not even close in meaning

BobbyKitty - I do think that the introduction of the Magic Academy - on a par with essential buildings like Builder - indicates a substantial change (so I agree with you).

Heh. Thanks for this, Katwijk. It looks to me, though, like I will have to spend boosted relics to build the Academy—see attached screenshot from my Build menu (I'm boosted in marble, crystal, and gems). If I spend those 12 relics to build the Academy, does that mean my manufacturing boosts decline accordingly? That would kind of suck, especially given how expensive encounters are in the provinces I'm exploring these days.

Maz, I looked through the top ranked Arendyll players last night trying to get some feedback re the Academy - so far no one seems to be building one. If you build it now and pay the Relics, it's unlikely you'll get them back if they correct it here. I saw a very polite Beta announcement that the Academy wasn't going to cost Relics, so it seems there's just some lack of cohesiveness in the release process. It could make sense to wait before placing the building, in my opinion.

Please note that I'm not saying that it's either awful or wonderful, that discussion belongs in the Beta forum. I'm just trying to correct some erroneous information

This statement is wrong on so many levels, the only word that comes to mind is "exasperation". Of course players are allowed to offer opinions here in the Forum! The fact that you cozy up with this "gag" suggestion makes it evident to all where your affinities / loyalties lie - and they're certainly not with other players.

Maz Mellor

Maz, I looked through the top ranked Arendyll players last night trying to get some feedback re the Academy - so far no one seems to be building one. If you build it now and pay the Relics, it's unlikely you'll get them back if they correct it here. I saw a very polite Beta announcement that the Academy wasn't going to cost Relics, so it seems there's just some lack of cohesiveness in the release process. It could make sense to wait before placing the building, in my opinion.

That makes sense, Bobbi; thanks. I hadn't realized there was a discrepancy between the Magic Academy here, and the Magic Academy in beta. I assumed things got brought over here as last tested in beta. But it seems the process is more complicated/interesting than that. :D