• Dear forum visitor,

It looks as though you have not registered for a forum account, or are not signed in. In order to participate in current discussions or create new threads, you will need to register for a forum account by clicking on the link below.

Click here to register for a forum account!

If you already have a forum account, you can simply click on the 'Log in' button at the top right of your forum screen.

Your Elvenar Team

Suggestion for space restrictions

DeletedUser1434

Could you make it possible to turn the buildings and other items so they will fit in spaces that aren't oriented the same way as the item. For example, the marble factory is a 2x1. If it was possible to turn it, it could fit into a 1x2 space. This would greatly improve our ability to manage space and build new buildings or upgrade existing ones.

DeletedUser594

This gets brought up periodically and it's not something they will consider for several reasons but mainly because part of the games challenge is space use and allowing for rotation strips the puzzle like aspect out of the game. There are also technical issues regarding development/graphics that allow for 4 way viewing. There my be some options in the future where you can swap one building for another allowing more flexibility. Don't shoot the messenger.

DeletedUser1495

They don't actually gain the ability to change orientation, as Katwijk's comment might seem to imply. You get better buildings (culture/square) in opposite orientations.
Which still doesn't really give you much flexibility, as you'll probably want to phase out the previous buildings for their lower efficiency.

EDIT:
I'm sorry. I kind of assumed we were talking about culture buildings, as these mostly make me wish for changing orientation.

It's definitely not true that other buildings "more often than not" change orientation with upgrades. I browsed the wiki and the only examples for that behavior I could find were Marble and Elixir manufactories, and those only for Elves.
Unless we are simply talking about "changing dimensions". But this is hardly the same as flipping orientation.

But in the long run, I think this hardly matters. The more challenging issue is how to fit something in right now, with limited space.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser627

SHazel, I understand your frustration...

In a game where strategy is the key element to success, one doesn't expect luck to play a key factor. But it does. One's initial random placement on the board affects the entire outcome of a game.

Your specific boosts determine how efficiently you can lay out your city. Also, if you look at the Wiki, you'll see that different boosts score differently - for example, planks score higher than marble in Elven cities. You can look up the Human buildings to see how yours compare.

For the long game, you could look at high ranking players who have all three of your boosts and see the strategies they've applied. If you want to maximize your score you can consider emphasizing your scoring options, and always optimize layout based on the fewest roads possible. If you enjoy the game, it's fun to practice variant layout schemes along the way. I enjoyed getting an expansion and refining the best possible layout options for my boost combination.

DeletedUser594

SHazel, I understand your frustration...

Also, if you look at the Wiki, you'll see that different boosts score differently - for example, planks score higher than marble in Elven cities. You can look up the Human buildings to see how yours compare.
Difference in city score? or are you talking production?

DeletedUser594

Ok- I'm not sure what you mean by "scores". If I build a factory I get points added to my overall score based on the working pop. an culture required. and my score (points) goes up. Is that what you're referring to?

DeletedUser627

Yes...and when I first started I assumed that the scores for each of the basic goods would be the same - but they're not. Certain boost combinations score higher than others.

DeletedUser594

I'm glad you brought that up. I've played with the production numbers quite a bit but never even thought about score. But after factoring in score and also having a look at culture and population- I'm thinking every different boost combination would give us the same score
and the same goods +/-2.5, and at the same cost at least in population but I would assume coin & supply. BUT only:

If you compare them square for square (same tier only)
Which is only fair really. That costs/goods/score etc are determined by how much of your space you use and not by # of manufactories. Here's some #'s on Human Steel LvL 15 which pumps out a boat load, and Marble which is in chronic shortage most places
Yellow is raw production numbers for level 15 human steel vs elven marble with score. Blue is also production but calculated Per Square with score earned per square
It's not that one is better/higher scoring/ higher point value. It's just bigger and calculated by space.

2hzqusm.jpg

Here's some numbers. I've tried different tiers/levels etc, they all seem to come out like this except when upgrades are out of synch.

DeletedUser1161

I've played with the production numbers quite a bit but never even thought about score.
Bobbi is right about scoring Elven marble vs. planks. It was such a weird observation I went to the wiki and added things up. The two manufactories are exactly the same size and make the same goods but one takes a bit more culture and a few more elves to build. Given the care taken to balance production per square, the disparity in culture and elves feels like a mistake. I've half a mind to bug report it, except I'm sure it's been brought up to the devs before so I doubt they would change anything.

Deleted User - 312108

I think you would have to look at it all the buildings of a given level. Elven vs. Human houses of a level give different populations. I haven't examined it in detail, but in general I think my elven cities score higher than my human cities. But my brain isn't working right now so I'll think about it more later.

DeletedUser594

Yeah- going back again I see disparities throughout.
Lyleth- we were speaking only about manufactories- they are structured to give the same amount of goods per square in the same tier.
Bobbi pointed out that their score value is different so we were looking at those numbers

DeletedUser

Space restriction is one of the most delicious challenges of the game. Obviously, part of the solution is to upgrade to the most efficient use of each square, as you progress. This concept would apply especially to goods and culture. As far as buildings rotating with upgrades, that seems less important than the fact that upgrades usually mean bigger (i.e. using more squares) and taking up wayyyy more space.

joboxo

For me, the ability to rotate a building has a second benefit: making a more attractive city.

Personally, I love the game art. My personal goal is to create an aesthetically pleasing city. I don't particularly like the look of rows of identical buildings. Rotating a few would make a huge impact!