• Dear forum visitor,

It looks as though you have not registered for a forum account, or are not signed in. In order to participate in current discussions or create new threads, you will need to register for a forum account by clicking on the link below.

Click here to register for a forum account!

If you already have a forum account, you can simply click on the 'Log in' button at the top right of your forum screen.

Your Elvenar Team

The Case for the Elf Sorcerer and a few other maligned troops

Enevhar Aldarion

Oh Wise One
All I will say is that in the exact same fight, I have sent in 5 squads of 3-star sorceresses that get wiped out, and then send in 5 squads of 2-star banshees or 1-star blossoms and they win the fight. And now that my chapter 13 city has 3-star banshees and 2-star blossoms, the sorceresses get even less use for anything other than fights where my squad size is much higher than the enemy's.

Lelanya

Scroll-Keeper, Keys to the Gems
My lowest level Elven city is just unlocking the second round of Merc Camp upgrades. I should be excited! I am using the Sorceress, and I just grit my teeth, ugh! I am moving at a snail's pace because the fighting is horrid, and the Sorceress is a really nasty part of it. I am on a countdown to selling level 1 tech now, so soon!!

By the way, I am likely wearing a certain target as well, for conserving resources. I feel that I'm in good company. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:

crackie

Chef, Scroll-Keeper, Buddy's #1 Fan
All I will say is that in the exact same fight, I have sent in 5 squads of 3-star sorceresses that get wiped out, and then send in 5 squads of 2-star banshees or 1-star blossoms and they win the fight. And now that my chapter 13 city has 3-star banshees and 2-star blossoms, the sorceresses get even less use for anything other than fights where my squad size is much higher than the enemy's.
I am one of the few defenders of the Bud Sorceress around here, but even I wouldn't send 5 Buds to a fight. They are defense oriented units. She's kinda like the enemy Abbot, but with shorter range, which makes her somewhat less effective bc she can't hang out in the back line. For her troubles, they did give her more health to start with though. You would not encounter a province with 5 Abbots (at least I've never) because he's usually paired up with other offensive oriented units. If you did encounter 5 Abbots, it'd be such an easy fight for the player to win too!

The Abbot, like the Bud Sorceress, isn't there to kill your units. They're there to make a mess of things by turning everyone's weapons into Styrofoam pellets resembling a certain well-known proprietary company's toy (how's that @SoggyShorts ;)). Their effectiveness is in tying your units up trying to figure out how to injure someone with soft foam while the other guys on his team surround you and pummel you. If you save the Abbot to be killed last instead of first, it's not going to be a fun encounter to fight. Likewise, Bud Sorceress is there to buy you time to live long enough for your other guys to surround the bad guys and pummel them. Her role is like the (pre?)medic, like an in-battle UUU unit that costs you a turn to use. You wouldn't send a battalion of only medics to fight a battle alone and then be surprised why the battle was lost. :)

I think she has a role to play for both beginners and advanced players, but it's definitely situational. I would reference what @Gath Of Baal said in the other thread about how many DA or UUUs are used. The tourney progression is stepped and not linear. Regardless of what chapter you're in or what units you have to play with, the battle dynamics boils down to how many hits to kill an enemy vs how many hits it takes to kill you. In the same tourney run, you will experience a wide gamut and fluctuation of this depending on how deep you go in the provinces. The number of buffs you use will change this number, but also where you are in the tourney province will change this number. In the higher provinces, it becomes a matter of survivability bc enemy stacks will greatly outnumber yours so it could only take one hit to kill your whole stack. You can extend this with DA/UUUs or you might get away with adding a Bud Sorceress to battle instead of dropping another DA/UUU for the week. For beginners, maybe they don't have a cache of DA/UUUs to use due to limited access to Spire/MA resources. Buds will buy you time to be able to win the battle if you're trying to bare knuckle fight it (no buffs, no Fire).

Last edited:

Dew Spinner

I am one of the few defenders of the Bud Sorceress around here, but even I wouldn't send 5 Buds to a fight. They are defense oriented units. She's kinda like the enemy Abbot, but with shorter range, which makes her somewhat less effective bc she can't hang out in the back line. For her troubles, they did give her more health to start with though. You would not encounter a province with 5 Abbots (at least I've never) because he's usually paired up with other offensive oriented units. If you did encounter 5 Abbots, it'd be such an easy fight for the player to win too!

The Abbot, like the Bud Sorceress, isn't there to kill your units. They're there to make a mess of things by turning everyone's weapons into Styrofoam pellets resembling a certain well-known proprietary company's toy (how's that @SoggyShorts ;)). Their effectiveness is in tying your units up trying to figure out how to injure someone with soft foam while the other guys on his team surround you and pummel you. If you save the Abbot to be killed last instead of first, it's not going to be a fun encounter to fight. Likewise, Bud Sorceress is there to buy you time to live long enough for your other guys to surround the bad guys and pummel them. Her role is like the (pre?)medic, like an in-battle UUU unit that costs you a turn to use. You wouldn't send a battalion of only medics to fight a battle alone and then be surprised why the battle was lost. :)

I think she has a role to play for both beginners and advanced players, but it's definitely situational. I would reference what @Gath Of Baal said in the other thread about how many DA or UUUs are used. The tourney progression is stepped and not linear. Regardless of what chapter you're in or what units you have to play with, the battle dynamics boils down to how many hits to kill an enemy vs how many hits it takes to kill you. In the same tourney run, you will experience a wide gamut and fluctuation of this depending on how deep you go in the provinces. The number of buffs you use will change this number, but also where you are in the tourney province will change this number. In the higher provinces, it becomes a matter of survivability bc enemy stacks will greatly outnumber yours so it could only take one hit to kill your whole stack. You can extend this with DA/UUUs or you might get away with adding a Bud Sorceress to battle instead of dropping another DA/UUU for the week. For beginners, maybe they don't have a cache of DA/UUUs to use due to limited access to Spire/MA resources. Buds will buy you time to be able to win the battle if you're trying to bare knuckle fight it (no buffs, no Fire).
Very Insightful advice!

Last edited by a moderator:

Gkyr

Chef
All I will say is that in the exact same fight, I have sent in 5 squads of 3-star sorceresses that get wiped out, and then send in 5 squads of 2-star banshees or 1-star blossoms and they win the fight.
With all due respect - and I have a lot of respect for your experience and your many useful contributions - but this is not one of them.

Your single-case-study contribution makes no point. There are battle scenarios that depend on the type of opponent troops and, more importantly, the obstruction layout, and some of those benefit from a majority of Buds in the lineup* and then there are those that would dictate that to be the worst choice. You are free to choose one of dozens of scenarios that will support your contention, but it proves nothing.
* @crackie is right - the number of times 5 Buds is the best choice is very seldom.
And @SoggyShorts you liked that post? You are usually more circumspect in your like awards - also with due respect.
And now that my chapter 13 city has 3-star banshees and 2-star blossoms, the sorceresses get even less use for anything other than fights where my squad size is much higher than the enemy's.
I agree. You have progressed beyond the 'middle game' and, as I mentioned above, the Bud's usefulness is limited to the middle game.

Gath Of Baal

My usage of the Sorceress

1) When I run out of mages
2) When I want to save my mages
3) When no matter what troops I pick, I see that I will take loads of damage because of the map layout. Send in the Sorceresses
4) When I get lazy and can spam 5 units of sorceresses on auto fight
5) Manual fighting the first 10 or so tournament provinces
6) The first floor of the Spire
7) Fighting map provinces

Hmmm seems like I use the Sorceresses a lot more then I thought I did :p

Every troop in the game has it uses Imo

Deleted User - 1178646

Did you try the exact same fight using Blossom mages? If not, then it's irrelevant.
Because the main point almost everyone else seems to be making is that in most scenarios (not all) Blossoms are better.

You can run a real test yourself by taking a fight right to the end and retreating just before you get the final kill shot.
Check your losses then try again with a different unit.
If you do the fights on province 1 to 7 or so, it makes no difference which of the units you take, you overpower the enemy in 1 way or the other,
The losses obvious when you are matching the enemies strength or when the enemy is obviously stronger.

It's the case of who swashed the ant, the boy or the adult. vs the a very small spider or a lice.

In this case someone took the advantage of grabbing a situation that benefitted his case.

helya

Beloved Ex-Team Member
Please get back on topic and refrain from personal insults. I will be cleaning up this thread shortly, you will not receive a notice if your comment was removed, there are just too many.

To address one point made, everyone's feedback is valuable in a discussion no matter their level or tournament average. Comments to the contrary are unacceptable.

Some of the players here also have accounts on other servers not always under the same name. You have no way of knowing a player's achievements without asking them directly.

crackie

Chef, Scroll-Keeper, Buddy's #1 Fan
@CrazyWizard Exactly! You can’t really carry the same strategy from 1-10 to win tents 20-30 for example. It’s a stepped progression with distinct jumps in difficulty at certain stages. Two shots to kill an enemy vs 4 shots changes the battle considerably, as will 4 shots to kill you vs 2 shots. If my units can absorb a bunch of hits, I don’t need a Bud. If they can’t, I need her to buy me time. That’s why I mentioned one needs to consider what province number you are fighting and how many of which buffs are put down. It’s very situational. You either buff until it’s negligible again or have to adjust fighting strategy as you progress. How each of us approach it will vary so even at the same province, everyone will have a different fighting experience! What doesn’t change is counting hits to kill and hits to die. It’s like counting outs in poker?

The Unbeliever

There is also a world of difference between whether or not one fights manually vs. using the god-awful clown show that is the auto-battle feature...

For some, auto-battle is forced upon them because the devs are too damn lazy to just make manual fighting work on the mobile platform. For others, RL simply won't allow them time to spend the hours upon hours to fight manually, even if they play on the browser version.
And still for those like me who just lazy gakkers, who simply can't be bothered to waste away hours and hours when instead, (I for example), can waste hours and hours gluing plastic models together while only removing 2 fingers by probably an accident!

When it comes to anyone who must and/or prefers to use only auto-battle, the Sorceress is proven to be even more useless than the Maple Leafs are in a Game 7...
The AI is beyond dumb as all gak, and typically goes out of it's way to waste your troops by putting them into the worst spot imaginable. With good troops this is highly annoying but still almost playable because the losses will typically still be somewhat reasonable.
With something as horrendous as the Sorceress though? It's a guaranteed auto-lose... it's even more predictable than the Maple Leafs getting clowned upon yet again by their eternal tormentors in Boston!

Units should not be this useless, but alas, the devs are terrible at their jobs. :p