• Dear forum visitor,

It looks as though you have not registered for a forum account, or are not signed in. In order to participate in current discussions or create new threads, you will need to register for a forum account by clicking on the link below.

Click here to register for a forum account!

If you already have a forum account, you can simply click on the 'Log in' button at the top right of your forum screen.

Your Elvenar Team

The Cauldron is complete garbage... Change my mind!

Arkadia

The Cauldron has been introduced for quite few weeks now. I just don't see the point of it, besides an extra clicker, but even for that it is pretty boring... to the point, that I even forget about it :(:oops:

We had discussion about it within my FS, even talked to players outside of my FS, we had zooms to figure it out when it was introduced... sorry, I'm still not a fan.

Whatever your interests are, without spending spell frags or diamonds, you only get a hint of boost, that is barely if at all noticeable.
Honestly I am only interested in the military boosts.
I leveled up the effects of all my Mayhems and Morale boosts to 50-76, still ...the boosts i'm getting aren't much noticeable.
Not sure how this stack with the Fire Phoenix, DA, ELR, MMM & UUU, but at this point i'm not seeing the benefit.

and today after using my 4 cups i get all the boosts for Mana (5%), goods, and what not, except the Mayhem that I had the ~40% chance getting, oh also got 6.7% of Monster Morale for ~6hrs which was also lower down on the list.
Not to mention that I may not even be able to use it before it expires...

All in all, I'm not too excited about the Cauldron

Somebody plz change my mind and let me see the light! :)

Darielle

Chef, Scroll-Keeper, and Buddy Fan Club Member
I can't change your mind since I agree with it. The Cauldron is basically a way to spend our goods and spell frags and diamonds (mostly diamonds, I'm sure the hope is) and I really hate it. I often can't use the items before they expire.

mucksterme

Oh Wise One
I won't go so far as to call it "garbage", because maybe others have found it useful.
But I haven't even looked at it in a couple of weeks.

I'll tell you something I found amusing about it.
Early on, I recommended they appoint a Cauldron Scroll Keeper.
I don't remember which mod said so, but they said it was "unnecessary."
Think about that.
They created the Scroll Keepers, for a good reason, and assigned them areas like Spire, Tourny, AWs, Battles, and other things that have been part of the game for years.

But, when the cauldron is introduced, something brand new we never had before.
Something very many people did not understand.
An item many of us find useless.
But THAT requires no further information or instruction.

Maybe, the cauldron isn't garbage. Maybe they just can't be bothered to tell us what it is good for.

muffy.

Chef - Scroll-Keeper - Chandelier Swinger - EAA
@mucksterme …Everything there is to know regarding the Cauldron is listed in the Scroll Keepers section in Game play right after the Magic Academy as that is what it is an extension of. It has been there since the topic started and is added to as new things exist. All you have to do is click it. If you are looking for someone to blame … that would be me

Deleted User - 849411552

I have found the cauldron quite useful, although I do see it as a work in progress that could be improved and better explained by Inno. The cauldron was introduced about the same time as the Season of Dreams, which diverted attention away from it. The Season of Dreams had almost no learning curve and produced instant results, so I felt that it distracted from the cauldron which is essentially a new game within the game.

The greatest annoyance I have with potion making is that I would like the ability to remove any ingredient at will, rather than just the last one I added - or all of them. Like many new features in the game, the developers will need to refine it over time.

I have focused my cauldron research on Magical Tax Increase, Trader's Basic Plea (Tier 1 goods) and Horde Uprising (more Orcs). Using only coins and supplies I have raised these three to between 47 stars and 50 stars. Since I always seem to have a surplus of coins and supplies, I view the cost of research as a trivial one. I never spend diamonds or spell frags on it, but that does not stop me from getting good results.

At these levels I have had good success with potions in assisting the FA. In the last FA, I had a streak of bad luck with the first potion creation in that the results were all for features that were useful but had nothing to do with the FA. However, the second potion creation during that FA effectively doubled my Tier 1 output and coin output for about a day.

I have raised all other non-military potions to about 25 star, and all military potions to about 15 star. I am primarily a negotiator so this suits my style of play. I find that I get useful results from the cauldron every week, for really no cost except a bit of time to experiment with new recipes when I feel like it.

Edited to change "goods" to "supplies". Sorry for the confusion.

Last edited by a moderator:

quin629

Useless! Pointless! Too expensive! Too hard! Wastes goods! You'd have to spend diamonds to get anything good - it's a trap! No guarantee on the rewards and besides the rewards ought to be better! Total fail by the devs!
-------That was the constant refrain not so long ago when the Spire was introduced. But many of us persevered, and figured it out, and now regard it as integral to our game. Won't surprise me if the Cauldron follows that same path over the next two years or so.

For now: as Muffy pointed out, there are Scrolls of Knowledge for you to refer to. You can level up effects with nothing but spare coins and tools that would otherwise essentially go to waste, or to enrich the wholesaler. Take it slow. No need to bankrupt yourself by trying to shove something to level 95 in one week. Or one month. There is no need to ever spend a single diamond or spell frag and you can still get some nice boosts. Just as you don't put a spell on a building until just before you harvest, don't brew until just before you are going to collect/fight.

If nothing else, it's a nice little extra that, again, costs you next to nothing. No, it's not an immediate big reward thing. This is Elvenar. It's all about the long game.

Gkyr

Chef
Agree with you, @Arkadia , @Darielle . There are enough sub-games within the game without devoting even more time to a new sub-game that appears to have an even more protracted timeline than an AW. Part of me feels that this is a 'performance poll' by the game architects (perhaps a level up from devs) to explore the relationship between delayed rewards and player interest: if enough gamers accept it, then there is an even longer deferred sub-game on the horizon and if few gamers adopt it, it may be modified or abandoned.
Just a thought.

Enevhar Aldarion

Oh Wise One
The Cauldron will always be aimed at the end-game players. I am sitting around at the end of chapter 20 and have easily dumped over 120 million standard goods into leveling up the effects and I still have over 50 million left of each. And then there are the coins and supplies and mana and seeds and orcs and unurium as well. And some weeks I still sometimes forget to brew the potion.

ajqtrz

Chef - loquacious Old Dog
Once you figure out the recipe you want to use to boost whatever it is you are boosting you have to remember to not boost that until the right time. After all, if you boost Mercenary Mayhem, for instance, and have already completed the Spire and it's 8 hours to the next tournament round, the 6 hour boost you got looks pretty but is full of rot. Useless. In addition, if you get three boosts, for instance, you have to figure out when to use them (i.e. drink the potions, which means finding out what boosts you will/will not get) before you know what they are and for how long they last! And since they they seldom last long enough for all three (or whatever number you end up with) to be useful you lose. Argggg.

So if they either boosted the amount of time the effect was in effect, or they allowed us to use each potion effect when we wanted (maybe some kind of summoning you could use when you wished...like a 1x1 cauldron portion thing), that would make the Cauldron more than barely useful.

AJ

Darielle

Chef, Scroll-Keeper, and Buddy Fan Club Member
Once you figure out the recipe you want to use to boost whatever it is you are boosting you have to remember to not boost that until the right time. After all, if you boost Mercenary Mayhem, for instance, and have already completed the Spire and it's 8 hours to the next tournament round, the 6 hour boost you got looks pretty but is full of rot. Useless. In addition, if you get three boosts, for instance, you have to figure out when to use them (i.e. drink the potions, which means finding out what boosts you will/will not get) before you know what they are and for how long they last! And since they they seldom last long enough for all three (or whatever number you end up with) to be useful you lose. Argggg.

So if they either boosted the amount of time the effect was in effect, or they allowed us to use each potion effect when we wanted (maybe some kind of summoning you could use when you wished...like a 1x1 cauldron portion thing), that would make the Cauldron more than barely useful.

AJ
What he said!

Katwick

Cartographer
Lotions & Potions

475915090f12cfa724da33f63b30f098.jpg

We already have Traveling Merchants.

There's an obvious opportunity for a Medicine Show that deals with Cauldon Potions & Lotions.

Dew Spinner

The Cauldron is what a player makes of it, for the amount of time and resources that I put into it I feel "I AM" getting enough in return. Any player that totally tunes out and never tries or doesn't look for the available info on how to best use it, is obviously not going to be happy. There has been plenty of info on this Forum and the Beta Forum to help players get the most out of it. So, to each their own, those that want to tune out and get nothing out of it and just complain can do so with no consequences and those that want to put 5 or 10 minutes of effort into it each week can get more benefits. I got a 64% Damage Bonus last week or 12 hrs, even the number 1 building in the game cannot give you that much Damage Bonus, even if it is for less time, and that number 1 building takes up space in your city and requires a Pet Food to get less of a bonus for more time. So, like I said "to each their own", I will continue to spend 5 or 10 minutes a week to figure out how to get the most use out of the Cauldron.

Last edited:

kctanzen

It's a lot of fun when you get, without adding fragments or diamonds, and only using surplus goods to level things up ... a friendly Hedge Witch that blesses you with a 28% supplies boost lasting 22 hours, on top of a 215% culture bonus.....

Pheryll

Set Designer
It's a lot of fun when you get, without adding fragments or diamonds, and only using surplus goods to level things up ... a friendly Hedge Witch that blesses you with a 28% supplies boost lasting 22 hours, on top of a 215% culture bonus.....
Is the supply bonus additive to the culture bonus or a separate multiplier? If additive then it doesn't matter how high the culture bonus is.