• Dear forum visitor,

It looks as though you have not registered for a forum account, or are not signed in. In order to participate in current discussions or create new threads, you will need to register for a forum account by clicking on the link below.

Click here to register for a forum account!

If you already have a forum account, you can simply click on the 'Log in' button at the top right of your forum screen.

Your Elvenar Team

These fights are TOO hard (for me)!!!

DeletedUser43

I am in round 3 of the tournament. The tournament. NOT a province that I know I have no chance of winning. The tournament. I in province number TWO. Not far away. Not "over" anything. Close to home in province number TWO.

I have tried every combination I can think of and I have been defeated over and over and over. I have tried swords, swords and golems, golems only, archers and swords, archers and golems, sorc IIIs. DEFEAT.

I did manage to win one stupid battle and I lost four and half squads of sorc IIIs.

I give the heck up. This SUCKS.

I spent months and months and I have a martial monastery on level 15!!! And still I can't win. I don't know who is winning these fights and I don't care any more. I have tried over and over to learn this stupid new system and I am just crushed. Maybe the most advanced fighters in the game, but when a normal person can't win in a baby level of a tournament....

This is ridiculous.

DeletedUser3297

This is on autofight in province 4 just to see if I faced any of the troubles you are facing. If anything for scrolls, I would use a combo of swords and archers.

Since this is not my boost, I didn't go far, but tomorrow when it opens up I will post screenshots of checkpoint 2, level 4.

VNaQkRX.png

DeletedUser3696

This is on autofight in province 4 just to see if I faced any of the troubles you are facing. If anything for scrolls, I would use a combo of swords and archers.

Since this is not my boost, I didn't go far, but tomorrow when it opens up I will post screenshots of checkpoint 2, level 4.

VNaQkRX.png
I find that almost impossible to believe on auto.

Are the levels of opponents easier when you aren't as advanced? Also, what is their troop size vs. your 48? Just curious how the game seems easier for you then everyone else??

DeletedUser43

I don't know who you were asking, but for me, my troop size was 48 theirs was 58.

When I used all swordsmen on auto, I was able to win more fights. So thanks Kaylee for that screen shot. :)

Keep in mind this is still level 3 of the tournament. Halfway through. I made it to province 5. I used to do 30 provinces.

So, just as I think I have found the solution and how to win these fights.....

https://us.forum.elvenar.com/index....1/&temp_hash=4bd64d684a2ce059d3231090e186938f

upload_2016-11-17_22-14-47.png

Attachments

• upload_2016-11-17_22-13-16.png
    upload_2016-11-17_22-13-16.png
    185.2 KB · Views: 114
  • upload_2016-11-17_22-14-5.png
    upload_2016-11-17_22-14-5.png
    184.5 KB · Views: 61

Sir Squirrel

Artist EXTRAORDINAIRE and Buddy Fan Club member
Yeah @Bobbykitty light melee is the key for scroll provinces and tourneys (not provinces in your case though sorry!) I cant beat provinces either for a while as im scouted to far as well. Try Cerberus (if you have them) they are good if you have a lot enemy of archers and sorc's if there are more than three golems,( im a human player though so cant verify that) I use priests for more than 3 golems though and they are the equivalent to sorc's).
Some battles the terrain causes the loss, not the choice of troops. I just cater those as there is no wining them.

Last edited:

DeletedUser43

Some battles the terrain causes the loss, not the choice of troops. I just cater those as there is no wining them.

So you can't win? Then what is the point of fighting? All of those btw are tournaments, not provinces. I gave up on provinces long ago. Now, I will just give up on tournaments too. This isn't fun. This is miserable.

Sir Squirrel

They ( the dev's) are working on it,(as you are in beta im sure you know) and I said some of the battles are unwinnable because of terrain, more so with auto fight. But they are working on it, don't give up or give in, its doable and the system is still new and there are bugs. If you love the game and the battles as I do, we have to give them time to work out the bugs. If not just cater them, you said you have millions of goods, not sure why you battle at all really, but if you like to battle you have to realize that its still new and needs some tweeking. love you!!! lol.
P.S This is about tournaments as I clearly stated, I cant battle in provinces any more either!! Please don't kill the messenger I am just trying to help!!

Last edited:

Mykan

Oh Wise One
I auto-fight tournaments, due to time. This tournament has been much harder then the last which I was able to auto-fighting into round 6. I think they do need to do some tweaking for sword dancers and axe barbarian. The cerberus have their place particularly against those abbots. If you get lots of golems like in your picture most or all sorceress is an option or treants. The lack of range on sorcs hurts in these instances so personally I would have tried 5 treants for that fight.

The fights are winnable but there are certainly some terrain and some troop combinations/later tournament levels that are difficult/impossible. There is some improvements coming in the next update that will help, especially for later levels that are extremely hard to auto-fight on currently with reasonable losses.

DeletedUser3507

Yes this scroll tourney is ridiculously difficult even in round 1.

DeletedUser43

If not just cater them, you said you have millions of goods, not sure why you battle at all really

I don't have millions of goods. I can't even cater regular provinces because I am waiting to get enough goods to do so.

There is some improvements coming in the next update that will help, especially for later levels that are extremely hard to auto-fight on currently with reasonable losses.

Those minute improvements didn't help me much. I am still getting slaughtered on beta too. I don't think they fully get just how hard these fights are for the average person. Maybe some of you who have computer models and spend hundreds of hours studying this can figure out how to win a fight, but not me. I suppose I should rename this thread to these fights are too hard...for me. I haven't had a fight since this all started with no losses. I liked those kinds of fights. I don't like these.

The bigger changes coming to the tournaments don't happen until you hit levels 4, 5 and 6, and I can't even past level 3 without being crushed. The 5% change on that level doesn't do much to help me.

DeletedUser3297

Doing checkpoint 2 on round 3 is nearly impossible on autofight. I autofought every encounter and lost, except for this one.

hpXmEcj.png

@TSmack for the fight I posted above, that was round 1 of checkpoint 4. The enemy squad was 27 to my 48

Sir Squirrel

Yeah ok, I have to agree, just did level 3 and didn't get very far myself, level 3 wasn't as bad last tournament, but couldn't auto fight much this time after level 2 and even manual was too tough for what I would expect for level 3. Sucks as its my boosted relic this time so I run my troops into the ground trying. Not much point in crying though Inno doesn't seem to care much at this point.

DeletedUser3696

Doing checkpoint 2 on round 3 is nearly impossible on autofight. I autofought every encounter and lost, except for this one.

hpXmEcj.png

@TSmack for the fight I posted above, that was round 1 of checkpoint 4. The enemy squad was 27 to my 48
I guess we all use different lingo. I'm going to assume that was the 4th province and round 1. Checkpoints are the thing that give bonus rewards I think. Anyways, that is still a very nice win.
I still don't know if difficulty is affected by how far a player is advanced or not, how far they have scouted, etc?? I think it used to be and that is why those with sorcs and paladins at 3rd level used to crush tourneys.

Mykan

Oh Wise One
My understanding is scouting does not impact difficulty of combats in tournaments, I believe it does impact catering though. A persons tech level I understand does impact it but not the difficulty, per se, simply the squad sizes and troops faced. The difficulty is meant to be from the ratio of your squad size verse the enemy.

It is possible there might be pockets of all the combinations of squad sizes and quality that do have some people in much harder fights then others. Something that would probably be hard to identify and balance by the devs.

qaccy

I don't know who you were asking, but for me, my troop size was 48 theirs was 58.

When I used all swordsmen on auto, I was able to win more fights. So thanks Kaylee for that screen shot. :)

Keep in mind this is still level 3 of the tournament. Halfway through. I made it to province 5. I used to do 30 provinces.

So, just as I think I have found the solution and how to win these fights.....

https://us.forum.elvenar.com/index....1/&temp_hash=4bd64d684a2ce059d3231090e186938f

View attachment 1393

I'm sorry, but in that defeat image you were sending in 5 light melee squads against an army of mostly heavy range (which is boosted against light melee). You were asking to lose that battle.

The rest of this tournament really hinges on the fact that the new unit bonuses favor offensive bonuses more than defensive ones. Light melee may be strong against archers and mages, but they don't have any real defensive bonuses so they don't shrug off much of the damage they take in return. As opposed to tournaments that favor heavy units or mages, both of which have substantial damage reductions against at least one unit type. This is why you'll see on average higher losses even in victories, because light melee units are not 'tanky'. A win is still a win, though! You also can't be expected to get off scot-free every time if you're using auto-battle...when you're leaving things in the hands of the AI, you have to accept that it's going to be more costly in exchange for saving time.

DeletedUser43

As I said qaccy, these fights are too hard for me. If you need to learn all kinds of charts and things like defensive bonuses and damage reductions and offensive bonuses etc etc, then this isn't the thing for me. I am here to play a city builder. I don't want to study charts and be a fighter. If I did, I would play a fighting game. For ME, this isn't enjoyable.

I also don't understand why this particular tournament will be so much harder than others. Isn't that unfair to people who have scrolls boosted?
A win is a win? No. There are costs involved.

As far as leaving things in the hands of the AI....I seem to suck at this even worse than the AI.

With the old level of difficulty, I hated fights in the provinces. I thought those were way too hard. It wasn't until the tournaments came along and I could win that I started having fun fighting. Now the tournaments have a much higher level of difficulty than even the old province fighting was. They took something away that I used to enjoy. I do not enjoy this new system.

DeletedUser

I won a fight yesterday!!! but.... it was against a 28 stack sized mortar unit, I have Cerberus, still ch2, not yet researched the other squad size (currently at 51). I attacked with 2 archers and 3 Cerberus. even going against 28 Mortar I still nearly lost. the terrain restricted me so much I can go at it one at a time to chase it while it had practically full movement by fading and shoot, was a good thing I had the dogs because I could catch it but it was so tough it silenced 4 stacks of my units (4 x51 dead) by the time I killed it. I have 2 more provinces (I am at 28 opened) to finish before ch3 opens and still have many researches to go in ch2

I cannot win any other fight combinations I come across, I have not gotten tournament opened yet. So in my opinion, battles in this game is a ubber lost cause and so broken in favor of the enemies, mite as well throw nerf footballs at fully loaded dump trucks lot of good that will do...

Edit: Just did another fight using all Cerberus units, won that too amazingly. Also this is proof the game is broken, 1 light melee unit called 'Thief' has stats like 98 health and 18-24 dmg. it hit my cerberus unit for 54 DAMAGE! That units strength is best against mages and light ranged. So its average damage should be 21 dmg, not hitting a stack by itself for 54. So yes they using a hidden damage boosting factor like 150% increase on top of what they do.

BROKEN!!!!

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser4778

I'd say it's time to tone down that Abbot. Especially hard now that the Sorceress has been weakened.

Definitely! Or at least tone down the numbers. I don't have a prayer of winning against lots of abbots. Tried different combos and it's not even a 1.8 combat ratio difficulty or difficult terrain. Couldn't win against Ring 6 when I was in Chapter 5 and still can't win against them now that I'm in Chapter 6. I haven't tried cerberi yet because I don't have the Training Grounds and I refuse to build them. Out of curiosity, I compared 70 Abbots II vs. 70 Sorceress II. The abbot has movement 2 and attack range 5 which is proportionate to the sorceress's movement 4 and attack range 3 so let's look at the other stats:

70 Abbots II: 5,250 ave damage; 10,500 hp; 70% atk & -70% def vs HR; 30% atk & -30% def vs HM; Pretended Pacifism: -50% atk for 2 rounds (250% total special abilities)
70 Sorceresses II: 4,620 ave damage; 12,950 hp; 60% atk & 50% def vs HR; 50% atk & 40% def vs HM; Broken Valor: -50% atk for 2 rounds (250% total special abilities)

The 70 abbots have 630 more damage and 2,450 fewer hp so it looks like the sorceresses should win especially since her initiative is 14 and the abbot's is 12 so she gets first strike. That is IF it's an equal fight and those are so few and far between as to be almost a pipe dream. Why do they get more squads while I am limited to only 5? If they really want to balance the battle, they should give me the ability to fight with the same number of squads. But of course if they do that, I expect they'll just jack up the enemy's numbers even more. *mutter mutter*

Now the Enchantress II and the Sorceress II are on par. Here's the comparison:

70 Enc II: 5,880 ave damage; 11,690 hp; 70% atk & 60% def vs HR; 40% atk & 40% def vs HM; Weird Witchcraft: -40% def for 2 rounds (250% total special abilities)
70 Sor II: 4,620 ave damage; 12,950 hp; 60% atk & 50% def vs HR; 50% atk & 40% def vs HM; Broken Valor: -50% atk for 2 rounds (250% total special abilities)

In this case, the Enchantresses have 1,260 better damage and 1,260 fewer hp so it evens out but the sorceress should still win because her initiative of 14 is better than the enchantress's 13.

All things being equal, I should win. Unfortunately, I find that not many things are equal or balanced in this game. Bloody unbeatable 7 squads of abbots and 1 squad of steinlings. If I still can't beat them after researching all the squad size upgrades in Chapter 6, I will consign them to the lowest level of the Abyss and I'm not talking about the Golden Abyss but the one where demons reside.

I am often outclassed, outgunned, outnumbered, and/or outmaneuvered against an AI that never tires or needs to sleep and whose mastery of battlefield movement is beyond my ability to ever reach. Not to mention that the terrain is usually against me instead of with me. Let me drink to my defeat. *clink*

Last edited by a moderator: