• Dear forum visitor,

It looks as though you have not registered for a forum account, or are not signed in. In order to participate in current discussions or create new threads, you will need to register for a forum account by clicking on the link below.

Click here to register for a forum account!

If you already have a forum account, you can simply click on the 'Log in' button at the top right of your forum screen.

Your Elvenar Team

Thinking and Resolving

ajqtrz

Chef - loquacious Old Dog
I'm not sure from where this originally came, but @Iyapo quoted it in another thread and I thought it interesting enough to address it.

"Do these pleasing attentions proceed from the impulse of the moment, or are they the result of previous study?"

The thing is, as many philosophers have said, one can arrive at the same state of mind via several paths. One can arrive at a pleasant state because one just ate a nice meal and the more or less physical satisfaction of that meal is pleasant, one can arrive at a pleasant state because one has engaged in a nice social exchange (in words, generally speaking) and is satisfied with the interaction, and one can arrive a pleasant state by the discovery of new perspectives through contemplation. In other words, whatever "pleasing attentions" one gets, can come from many places. And, thus, those pleasing attentions can be delivered in many ways as well.

The quote, to me, is about a person's desire to please. The one questioning wonders about the depth of the attentions being given. Implied, I think, is a distinction between the immediacy of emotional response (the "impulse of the moment"), and the "previous study." The first, I think, may not be as permanent as the latter and thus, since one assumes the speaker values long term "pleasing attentions" over short term ones, is not to be preferred over the latter. And, in this, it would seem to me, the speaker is right. All of which is related to how we think.

When we respond to our environment we have a couple of things we do within our minds. First, we scan the environment not looking for things which we expect, but for what we don't expect. We live in anticipation of the next moments and expect them to be a certain way. We ignore anything and everything which is as we expect it, and focus on anything we don't expect. This is true of our physical environment, our social environment, and even our mental environment. The unexpected always gets first dibs on our attention.

Now, of course, this is necessary as the unexpected is probably from where harm is most likely to come. I'm walking down a path in a dark jungle and suddenly, and unexpectedly, I spot a long orange vertical stripe in the bushes. I had better pay attention as that long, unexpected orange stripe may be a tiger! So I pay attention. I find out it's a new plant with an orange stem. I am, thus, not afraid of it and go about my way. Now, the interesting thing is that the next time I walk this path I expect that plant to still be there and if it is, and if it's still orange, I hardly notice it because I anticipated it being there. We pay attention to what we don't anticipate.

So what the speaker is asking is if the "pleasing attentions" are the result of a sudden, probably unexpected, response, or if they are a part of a more permanent response based upon a longer history. Taking our tiger/flower example we find that if the one walking notices the plant at the first he/she might briefly consider it to be a tiger. But after passing it many times and observing it more closely, the walker may discover it has properties the walker might need. Like it is long, stiff, and useful as a walking stick. The walker's response and appreciation of the orange stripe grows as he/she encounters and studies it. The speaker quoted above is obviously wondering if the one providing the pleasing attentions is in the "might be a tiger mode" or the "studied" mode.

In the end then, thought is about experience and that which we experience becomes expected pretty fast. Walking through a new room you "map" that room without giving it a thought. Your mind does this and if you then, having passed through to another room, go back you have an expectation that the couch that was on the right as you entered will be on the left as your leave. Experiments have been done which moved the couch while the person was in the second room (and unable to see what was going on in the room with the couch, of course). When the person returned, depending on if the couch was moved or not, they would pause. They would pause and a look of confusion would cross their face if it was moved, but not if it wasn't. In other words, they had mapped the room the first time and upon re-entry, anticipated where the couch would be. When it was not, they attended to the unexpected change.

It has been found, in the same set of studies, that the more you change the room, the more the person will pause and become confused. And if you change it enough, they will actually stop and ask if they are leaving the same way they came in...even if the second room contained only one door!

Thus, the nature of thought is at least two fold. It is anticipatory and it is reactive. It anticipates and then reacts to the unanticipated. The reaction to the unanticipated is conscious thought. (There's also thought that attends to rehearsal, which is the recalling and remembering of things, but that is a minor group compared to what we usually are doing). The reactions we give to conscious thought, though, are usually based upon either our immediate impulses (which reflect, for the most part, our flight/fight instinct) or our personality -- how we categorize what we encounter.

The categorization and analysis of what we encounter is first survival. We attend to the unexpected and evaluate them as to our basic survival. Once that is past, if we find our survival is not in danger (this includes things like loss of income, prestige, etc, as well as physical survival), we move to place the encounter into our general matrix of understanding. The greater the surprise the greater the impact upon our matrix. Thus, the first course of action is to minimize the surprise and to account for it in the simplest of terms.

I sneeze. My first response is to ignore it. My experience is that sometimes we sneeze and there is nothing to worry about. Again, the surprise is minimized because I can easily account for it and it poses no real danger to my existence. If I sneeze a second time, though, I might look around and consider my environment. Are there flowers in the room? I am allergic to pollen. If there are flowers I move them to another room. If I continue to sneeze I might take a pill to lower my reaction. But if I keep sneezing I might seek medical help. In other words, we incorporate what we don't expect into our understanding with the least satisfactory explanation first, and only escalate our attention to it as the lower explanations/reactions fail to remove the dissonance.

Now think about this in terms of ideas you might encounter. You have some strongly held belief. You encounter somebody who believes the opposite. Depending on your circumstances you may be surprised that anybody could hold the opposite opinion, or you may have encountered it many times before. In either case if you enter into the discussion you'll probably begin with some simple, common, statements. I call them "mantras" and "memes" about the subject. This is mostly establishing the ground game of the discussion as it's about stating your opinion and he/she stating his/hers. Now if both parties are pretty sure of themselves they might go beyond the basic repetition of mantras and memes. Why do they do this? Because, in general we believe that we think the way all persons should think and being in the presence of one who does not think what we think can only mean he/she is either morally corrupt or needs good reasons to change his/her mind. The problem though, isn't the other person, it's the dissonance they cause within us by holding to a different position. So, in an effort to reduce our own dissonance, we engage, seeking to convince them, or to at least find some reasonable position that both of us can accept (and thus remove the dissonance for both of us). So now we are engaged. Depending on how strongly we hold our beliefs, we can arrive at a resolution or not. If both parties are quite certain of their beliefs and are equally matched in terms of their knowledge and ability to argue the subject, the dissonance will continue for a long, long time, and will drive the argument into a third stage, the one where emotions begin to take over. A stubborn dissonance escalates our response, as noted above.

Eventually, one of three things happen. If one or both sides hold their position less strongly, they might find some formulation of the answer that satisfies (removes the dissonance from them). If both sides hold their position very strongly the usual response is to either "agree to disagree" (which means the dissonance in both remains but they that the dissonance of an unexpectedly unpleasant encounter is greater than the dissonance of a different opinion. This leads them to take the easier path of enduring the dissonance of disagreement over the dissonance of continuing an unpleasant encounter). Or, they abandon the subject and re-evaluate the assumption (i.e. what they anticipated) that the other person is a rational/moral person. In other words, they resolve the dissonance by agreement, by ignoring it in favor of resolving a greater dissonance, or by casting the cause of their dissonance into a different type of disagreement -- where the other person is the cause of their dissonance, not the ideas he/she brings to the table.

All of this, is, of course, why an impulsive response to things is less wise than a more thoughtful one. A more thoughtful approach to everything puts the life into a wider set of experiences and, as we all know, the wider the set of experience we have with something, the more likely it will be we can responde in a manner that anticipates a more pleasant outcome.

AJ

Iyapo

Personal Conductor
It is a quote from Pride and Prejudice.

Because, in general we believe that we think the way all persons should think and being in the presence of one who does not think what we think can only mean he/she is either morally corrupt or needs good reasons to change his/her mind. The problem though, isn't the other person, it's the dissonance they cause within us by holding to a different position.
It never actually occurred to me that the note I play is correct and the world should harmonize with me!

Last edited:

Katwick

Cartographer
It never actually occurred to me that the note I play is correct and the world should harmonize with me!
Or that everybody BUT you is out of step??

One of my church friends drives everybody crazy because when everybody ELSE is reciting in unison, she's one syllable ahead. I'm just grateful that she doesn't try to sing. :oops:

Last edited:

Silly Bubbles

You cant pop them all
Or that everybody BUT you is out of step??

One of my church friends drives everybody crazy because when everybody ELSE is reciting in unison, she's one syllable ahead. I'm just grateful that she doesn't try to sing. :oops:

Maybe in different churches her timing is perfect. :D

ajqtrz

It is a quote from Pride and Prejudice.

And even if one accepts the idea that it's okay to play a different tune it still causes dissonance. So we try to resolve it. Orchestras "tune up" before they start, which is sort of like finding places of agreement before you start or as you start a conversation.

Iyapo

Personal Conductor
See, right there, you hit upon the problem. The tunes being played are not the problem. The problem is with the hopped up self appointed little conductors that show up and decide that everyone has to unite in an orchestra and play the same tune.

Darielle

Chef, Scroll-Keeper, and Buddy Fan Club Member
See, right there, you hit upon the problem. The tunes being played are not the problem. The problem is with the hopped up self appointed little conductors that show up and decide that everyone has to unite in an orchestra and play the same tune.
Good point.

You made a witty P and P joke based on a previous post (a pic of Mr Collins I believe), not something most folks would turn into a lengthy muse. While I understand that some people have a compulsion to impart their vast, overwhelming, stupendous knowledge on others while appearing to efface themselves in their oft-expressed desire to learn from those they subconsciously (or consciously) consider less intelligent, I think that a joke should simply be left as a joke.

(Note: I'm using muse in the noun form: "an instance or period of reflection." I am not calling anyone a muse, so there's no need to reflect on whether anyone is, indeed, a muse.) :p

Astram

Forum Moderator
Elvenar Team
And with that, we have a conductor

Last edited:

Iyapo

Personal Conductor
30ca84bb3925d396abc72521fa366008.jpg

Katwick

Cartographer
Once upon a time, when I was in High School, several of the kids in the drum section were members of the local Klikitat branch of the Yakama Nation.

Our band teacher got interested in the rhythms that the kids were using when they were just goofing around. Long story short, his consequent PHD thesis was on the Musicality of the Yakama Nation.

So, during the breaks in the basketball games, the Pep Band is whomping out foreboding tribal rhythms, the song squad is doing authentic war dances, and our taxidermy Timberwolf Mascot is in mid-court, staring at the other team.

Screenshot_20230728_131730_Android System.jpg

We went to State three times, not because the basketball team was all that good, but because the other teams got so rattled.

Last edited:

Siorse

Once upon a time, when I was in High School, several of the kids in the drum section were members of the local Klikitat branch of the Yakama Nation.

Our band teacher got interested in the rhythms that the kids were using when they were just goofing around. Long story short, his consequent PHD thesis was on the Musicality of the Yakama Nation.

So, during the breaks in the basketball games, the Pep Band is whomping out foreboding tribal rhythms, the song squad is doing authentic war dances, and our taxidermy Timberwolf Mascot is in mid-court, staring at the other team.

View attachment 16269

We went to State three times, not because the basketball team was all that good, but because the other teams got so rattled.
I LOVE THIS!!!

Too bad the indigenous tribes didn't use this tactic when Europeans came to their shores

Siorse

I truly enjoyed reading the OP's thoughts.

We're all different and we all enjoy different things.

A joke is fine left as a joke, but I also see no problem with pondering other thoughts that stem from reading it.
It takes nothing away from the joke and perhaps opens up a broader dialog.

I've noticed a few people on here aren't fans of aj's lengthy discourse which begs the question of why they read any of his posts at all?

Is it simply so they can disagree? Is it a guilty pleasure? I'm curious if any of you will reply :)

ajqtrz

In an ideal world then, each musician would play in a small, sound-proof box, whatever they wished to play. The audience would wear special headphones where they could switch from one player to the next until they found something they liked. Unfortunately, an orchestra is a group of players working to produce an orchestrated sound. Those sounds are written down by the one who created the orchestral piece and then interpreted by the one actually conducting the performance. In other words, it's a group thing and when you are working with a group to get anything of note done (pun intended) you have to agree on the tune.

Good point.

You made a witty P and P joke based on a previous post (a pic of Mr Collins I believe), not something most folks would turn into a lengthy muse. While I understand that some people have a compulsion to impart their vast, overwhelming, stupendous knowledge on others while appearing to efface themselves in their oft-expressed desire to learn from those they subconsciously (or consciously) consider less intelligent, I think that a joke should simply be left as a joke.

(Note: I'm using muse in the noun form: "an instance or period of reflection." I am not calling anyone a muse, so there's no need to reflect on whether anyone is, indeed, a muse.) :p [bold added]

I've always wondered what the difference in appearance would be between a person who is represented by the quote, and a person who isn't. How does one say one needs to learn without saying one needs to learn? And what would you do if you did have "overwhelming, stupendous knowledge," keep it to yourself? Assuming the "self-effacement" is just for appearance's sake, focuses on the motivations, not the act, and motivations are a tricky thing. How does one climb into a person's mind and see what they sometimes can't see themselves ("subconsciously?") And If that person is convinced they are actually being genuine, what would the difference be in a subconscious expression of a disingenuous and genuine expression?

In the long run such musing (there's that "muse" again) are choosing to put a "bad face" (my second pun -- aren't you lucky!) on the persons self-effacement. In other words, it could, as easily, be a genuine expression.

Putting the most positive interpretation on what another says does two things. It avoids taking insult where insult was not intended, and it forces the speaker who did intend an insult to be much more clear.

AJ

Silly Bubbles

You cant pop them all
We're all different and we all enjoy different things.

I fully agree. Life is not orchestra, if we keep rejecting everyone that is different, we'll end up on our own. Life is a teamwork, where everyone contributes different things and together we create more than each one of us on our own.

Iyapo

Personal Conductor
an orchestra is a group of players working to produce an orchestrated sound.
I agree with this. An orchestra is not a pick up team unwillingly drafted to play some rando's tune upon demand.

I think we have pretty much killed the metaphor.

Silly Bubbles

You cant pop them all
I agree with this. An orchestra is not a pick up team unwillingly drafted to play some rando's tune upon demand.

Yep, and everything can be taken to the extreme. Luckily, most of the things are not. :D

I suppose some need a boss, some don't, some like to boss, some just like to get along with everyone, some like to work with others to get what we want even if it means disagreeing with an outdated popular opinion.

Again, we can't get along without respecting each others' differences because they do exists even though some do try to hide it from others just to fit in and do not share their views so they don't upset anyone. It's the different views that create better things, without new ideas and views, we would still be in caves.

We might be able to boss a small group but definitely not a public forum.