• Dear forum visitor,

It looks as though you have not registered for a forum account, or are not signed in. In order to participate in current discussions or create new threads, you will need to register for a forum account by clicking on the link below.

Click here to register for a forum account!

If you already have a forum account, you can simply click on the 'Log in' button at the top right of your forum screen.

Your Elvenar Team

Tournament defaults to the lowest window with an open province

Gkyr

Chef
For the benefit of middle and especially advanced gamers.
When all 6 rounds of the Tourney have been completed for the first eight provinces, that window becomes inert, that is, it has no function and conveys no new information.
Similarly, for the next eight provinces (9-16) and each window of eight after that, upon the completion of the provinces through 6 rounds.
But from the World screen when the Tourney tent pavilion icon is selected, the Tourney always opens to default window 1.
Players who have advanced in the Tourney have to click 2, 3, or 4 more times, or end-click and backtrack in order to find the next easiest encounter.
Proposal: Tourney tent icon function always defaults to the lowest window with an active green button (displaying 'open' or timer) and skips lower windows with all eight greyed-out buttons.
Pros:
This allows faster engagement during later Tournies for advanced players.
The characteristic discriminating active versus exhausted Tourney windows has already been coded for (green versus gray buttons).
It is similar in existing user-friendly intent to having successful Auto. Fight encounters default back to the opened Tourney window.
Gamers who really want to see earlier windows can use the back button (but why would they want to?).
Cons:
Cannot think of any.

Moderators, I earnestly hope this will be put up for polling.

Last edited:

samidodamage

Buddy Fan Club member
player said they prefer to do tourney in reverse order.
I remember a discussion where that came up. Since I read beta, it could have been there. There was quite a bit more support for the 'reverse order' thing than I would have thought. I remember it because at the time, I was doing the 'reverse order after round 1' thing, but didn't think it was common or a particularly strategy-shattering change! It's not like the fights changed, it was just novel to play where each tourney fight was easier than the last one, lol! The end results were the same, you just took your losses earlier.
Now that I have zero tourney cooldown, I do each province x 6 rounds before moving to the next province. Since I do 31 provinces, I'd find it helpful if the tourney window stopped opening on p1 after I've completed all 8 encounters. As it stands now, it opens on p1 even when I've finished the first 3 pages (24 provinces).
I don't think this issue applies to the mobile app, though. When I've completed tourney encounters there, it's one province window and you scroll down to the one you want, I think? Still, it'd be a welcome QOL change for browser players (especially manual fighters, small in number though we may be! Any reduction in time required to manually fight is appreciated!).

crackie

Chef, Scroll-Keeper, Buddy's #1 Fan
I do them in reverse order after Round 1 too. My Timewarp is not quite to 0 cooldown yet. It's being able to do the hardest, most expensive fights when you have the most troops. It's easier to timer some troops for Province 5 when the well is dry than blowing a lot more time instants to make enough troops to fight Province 35.

Any reduction in time required to manually fight is appreciated!
I've been saying they need to add more animation speeds beyond 3x! The code is already done to switch for 3 speeds. It's not that hard to add 2 more even faster animation settings. And must I say it? The FoE battle engine doesn't take this long to do one manual battle!

Lelanya

Scroll-Keeper, Keys to the Gems
Yes, so you are remembering the same debate that I did, Sami. I didn't mean to imply that only one person said that, just that the idea sort of wandered into limbo after that point was raised. I do this with cities that have trouble with resources, usually lower level ones. That way I can get a handle on how much a tournament is going to cost me.

Talaedraiia

I’m two months short of playing for two years and I don’t remember ever seeing a discussion on this topic. I play on mobile so the idea doesn’t really benefit or harm me, but I think I might have learned a new technique for for doing the tourney from the discussion.

Gkyr

Chef
This improvement would have no effect on reverse order players!
I have often played in reverse order.
One has to click the last window arrow to begin accessing the highest provinces and they would have to do this in any case.
This improvement would have zero impact on the minority of players (as numerous as they are) that fight in reverse order.
(KK, if they were insisting on clicking the previous window button to circle around to the end instead of clicking on the last window button they could come up disappointed that their choice has been taken away).

Any reduction in time required to manually fight is appreciated!).
Amen.

Last edited:

Enevhar Aldarion

Oh Wise One
More than just something for the small number of players who complete all 6 stars in provinces, I just get tired of having no open provinces on a page and it still starts on page 1. If I have completed the 1st star of the first 8 provinces and then close the tournament window, when I open it again, it should go to page 2 automatically, or to the first page that has a green Open button for a province, whether that is page 2 or page 22.

muffy.

Chef - Scroll-Keeper - Chandelier Swinger - EAA
For the benefit of middle and especially advanced gamers.
When all 6 rounds of the Tourney have been completed for the first eight provinces, that window becomes inert, that is, it has no function and conveys no new information.
Similarly, for the next eight provinces (9-16) and each window of eight after that, upon the completion of the provinces through 6 rounds.
But from the World screen when the Tourney tent pavilion icon is selected, the Tourney always opens to default window 1.
Players who have advanced in the Tourney have to click 2, 3, or 4 more times, or end-click and backtrack in order to find the next easiest encounter.
Proposal: Tourney tent icon function always defaults to the lowest window with an active green button (displaying 'open' or timer) and skips lower windows with all eight greyed-out buttons.
Pros:
This allows faster engagement during later Tournies for advanced players.
The characteristic discriminating active versus exhausted Tourney windows has already been coded for (green versus gray buttons).
It is similar in existing user-friendly intent to having successful Auto. Fight encounters default back to the opened Tourney window.
Gamers who really want to see earlier windows can use the back button (but why would they want to?).
Cons:
Cannot think of any.

Moderators, I earnestly hope this will be put up for polling.
I feel this is a great idea. Anything that saves time is worth it . Ive played on comp , mobile and iPad . The mobile is simplified with scrolling but that gets annoying at times to on such a small screen . The comp is the worst in my opinion on this topic . Awesome job @Gkyr !!! 100% support from me !!! Good luck I hope it gets forwarded !!!!

Gkyr

Chef
Awesome job @Gkyr !!!
*blush, blush* If truth be told, there are those who really do Jobs. Lelanya would be a prime example of one who does awsome jobs and you, muffy, are a scroll-keeper, as are a handful of real doers in this community, and that is worthwhile sweat-equity in service to this community, for which I thank all of You Who Work at It. I am just using my one and only talent: I am good at complaining. But I am truly grateful for your support.

samidodamage

Buddy Fan Club member
@Gkyr
I think it would be worthwhile to incorporate this suggestion into the idea:
More than just something for the small number of players who complete all 6 stars in provinces, I just get tired of having no open provinces on a page and it still starts on page 1. If I have completed the 1st star of the first 8 provinces and then close the tournament window, when I open it again, it should go to page 2 automatically, or to the first page that has a green Open button for a province, whether that is page 2 or page 22.
That expands the number of players who would see a benefit from tourney pages not just defaulting to p1.

Gkyr

Chef

@Gkyr
I think it would be worthwhile to incorporate this suggestion into the idea:

That expands the number of players who would see a benefit from tourney pages not just defaulting to p1.
At first, I thought, "why not?" Sounded good. But then I started thinking about it.

I think it would introduce unwanted complexity: on the inside perhaps to the coding, perhaps not. I am not a coder. But on the outside (the user interface) it assumes that everyone who progresses in a forward manner through the Tourney does so in a linear fashion. How would the algorithm then handle the player who wishes to cherry-pick EE spells, or KP by jumping around. During the upcoming event someone may only want to win relics, or the serial batch player: one who runs out of time after doing 10 provinces on the first round, comes back after the cool down period and does the same 10 provinces (2nd round) and then the next four (first round). And continues batch-wise from the lowest provinces in that manner.*
In these scenarios the algorithm would interject itself into the selection that the player makes and I am afraid that the experience of the non-linear player would be to fight misdirection by the algorithm as well as selecting the battles that they want to fight.
If we left it the way I proposed it, it would be much simpler: once a screen of 8 is exhausted, it does not show up. Simple. No intrusion into a cherry-picking or batch -playing gamer's experience. This suggestion is not meant to benefit every player who fights Tourney. It will benefit any player who clears six rounds in the first eight provinces; I suspect that there are enough of these that they would poll positive if they knew about this proposal. What we don't want to do is to introduce a frustrating complexity.

*This is how I have been playing for the past two months.

Edited to insert "...is not meant to benefit...:

Last edited:

samidodamage

Buddy Fan Club member
Thank you for that explanation @Gkyr I know absolutely nothing about coding. In my mind it was a simple 'why not just have the default be 'first page with an active/green button'.
I do remember earlier chapters (and under the old tourney structure) where I'd cherry-pick round 6 for MM spells and KP. With the polar bear/timewarp combo and being a manual fighter, doing 6 rounds in a row of the same province has a huge benefit to me: the terrain is the same for all the rounds of a province. If I switch from one province to another, I can't remember the terrain issues, but doing them one right after the other means I don't forget :cool:

Gkyr

Chef
With the polar bear/timewarp combo and being a manual fighter, doing 6 rounds in a row of the same province has a huge benefit to me: the terrain is the same for all the rounds of a province. If I switch from one province to another, I can't remember the terrain issues, but doing them one right after the other means I don't forget :cool:
I can't wait to do that, too. I'm also there.

Gkyr

Chef
@Astram , @helya :
According to the guidelines:
POLL
To make sure the ideas we forward are a community decision, the following process will be followed:

• The Moderator will open a poll in this section. They will also make sure that in the opening post, there is a short description of the Idea (as well as in the Thread Title) and all detailed information is included in the rest of the in-depth description in that opening post.
  • The poll will run for 14 days.
  • During the poll, the discussion can still continue if anyone feels they have something valuable to add.
  • However: No alterations can be made to the idea as it's stated in the opening post, so please refrain from coming up with new ideas at this stage.
  • Any idea that has more “IN FAVOR” votes than the “NOT IN FAVOR” votes at the end of the 14 day voting period will be forwarded.
  • Any idea that does not meet the requirement of the poll, will not be forward. This will avoid forwarding ideas that are not supported by the majority of the community.
Are we at a point where we can open a poll on this?
G

Gkyr

Chef
[MOD Edit] Removed reference to deleted thread/post

@Astram I gladly defer to your experience in these matters; please make the suggested title change.