• Dear forum visitor,

It looks as though you have not registered for a forum account, or are not signed in. In order to participate in current discussions or create new threads, you will need to register for a forum account by clicking on the link below.

Click here to register for a forum account!

If you already have a forum account, you can simply click on the 'Log in' button at the top right of your forum screen.

Your Elvenar Team

When the game becomes a job, it's no longer fun

I know that you can lose less troops, if you manual fight...but it makes the game even more like a job. We have had players quit playing, because they thought the game had become a job. My wife's other group had a 2,000,000 point player who always finished 1st or 2nd in the Tournaments, quit playing today, and wrote a long tearful good-bye to them (he had been a member of their FS for over 4 years), and basically told them he had lost all joy of the game, because it had become a JOB instead of a game. Tree Walker's who have been with me for awhile know that one of my 'truism', that I state periodically...'If it ain't FUN, then it ain't a game'. I really believe the developers need to aggressively address this issue.

SoggyShorts

Mathematician par Excellence
I really believe the developers need to aggressively address this issue.
How?
I see a complaint, and perhaps a valid one, but not even the vaguest hint of what the developers could do.

"Make it more fun"

What Specifically needs changing?
goodness.png

Last edited:

Darielle

Chef, Scroll-Keeper, and Buddy Fan Club Member
I have never manually fought, so I don't know if I lose a ton more troops. Then again, this would be a job if I did that, so I can sympathize. But I do think the devs have made it more fun over the years. Cutting down on the agonizing way to give gifts helped a lot. The FA improvements helped a lot. Even the tourney provinces are different than they were at first, and it goes a lot faster than it once did. So overall, I'd give the devs at least a B+ if not an A-. They are trying, in my opinion.

Silver Lady

Question: Is there anybody else that although they don’t really want to do the event just can’t make themselves leave those event quest alone?

I’m pretty sure someone is going to say it’s a personal problem (and so it is) but it makes me agitated to see a quest sitting there and not do it. Would anyone else like to se an option where we could elect to participate in an event or not? The choice to participate or not would need to be made each event and selecting not to participate would hide the quests and the button to enter the mini-game. Would you want to be able to change your selection during the event?

Just thinking out loud here.

Yavimaya

Scroll-Keeper
I know that you can lose less troops, if you manual fight...but it makes the game even more like a job. We have had players quit playing, because they thought the game had become a job. My wife's other group had a 2,000,000 point player who always finished 1st or 2nd in the Tournaments, quit playing today, and wrote a long tearful good-bye to them (he had been a member of their FS for over 4 years), and basically told them he had lost all joy of the game, because it had become a JOB instead of a game. Tree Walker's who have been with me for awhile know that one of my 'truism', that I state periodically...'If it ain't FUN, then it ain't a game'. I really believe the developers need to aggressively address this issue.
You don't have to manual fight though...were there other reasons they felt this way?

Myne

Oh Wise One
You don't have to manual fight though...were there other reasons they felt this way?
In my experience they felt tied to the game because without the regular logging in to harvest goods and tourney and spire, they couldn't keep up with their participation. It sounds like they kept enduring the monotony until they hated the game. Instead, they could have easily scaled back their fierce competitiveness for a while and perhaps solved that problem.

Yavimaya

Scroll-Keeper
In my experience they felt tied to the game because without the regular logging in to harvest goods and tourney and spire, they couldn't keep up with their participation. It sounds like they kept enduring the monotony until they hated the game. Instead, they could have easily scaled back their fierce competitiveness for a while and perhaps solved that problem.
I agree with that. Hopefully in future after a break they might return!

crackie

Chef, Scroll-Keeper, Buddy's #1 Fan
That’s the problem with wanting to be number 1 though, ain’t it? Eventually, the only direction to go is down, unless you want to maintain the frantic pace of keeping up with the Joneses. To be honest, 4+ years ain't a bad run. Blockbuster games like Fortnite and Pokemon Go prob didn't have player retention for that long. They have a massive infusion of players in the beginning and then fizzle out a bit.

Personally, I think the game is open-ended enough to have wiggle room to do whatever you want to keep yourself entertained, however it is you define it. If you don't like FSs, tourney, Spire, FA, or events, you are free to skip any or all of it. I'm about to leave a 19th-chest, top FA and Gold FS to start a new venture because my truisim is sometimes stupid ideas are worth pursuing. When you are the source of your own fun, you are also less bothered by what other people choose to do with their time and less prone to make demands that the developers aggressively address things.

Ms Molly

Question: Is there anybody else that although they don’t really want to do the event just can’t make themselves leave those event quest alone?

I’m pretty sure someone is going to say it’s a personal problem (and so it is) but it makes me agitated to see a quest sitting there and not do it. Would anyone else like to se an option where we could elect to participate in an event or not? The choice to participate or not would need to be made each event and selecting not to participate would hide the quests and the button to enter the mini-game. Would you want to be able to change your selection during the event?

Just thinking out loud here.
I think that is a great idea....I would add the ability to chose in the FA as well as "events" : i.e., participate / not participate / see / not see FA paraphernalia

Ms Molly

Perhaps we need rehab fellowships? LOL
We do have rehab fellowships....the FSs that state clearly that they have no minimums to achieve and allow people to play the way they want. Its good for the soul even for larger players to join one of these laid-back FSs for a while to take a break! Having said that....
I'm about to leave a 19th-chest, top FA and Gold FS to start a new venture
Crackie, you are cordially invited to the Good Golly Gang for rest, relaxation, reprieve, and revitalization!!!! Love to have you! :)