• Dear forum visitor,

It looks as though you have not registered for a forum account, or are not signed in. In order to participate in current discussions or create new threads, you will need to register for a forum account by clicking on the link below.

Click here to register for a forum account!

If you already have a forum account, you can simply click on the 'Log in' button at the top right of your forum screen.

Your Elvenar Team

Why does Solstice Event have to be "luck" based?

DeletedUser627

By basing the Chest rewards on Luck, Inno is virtually guaranteeing that many of us will be unhappy. Why would they do this?

If I work to be able to open a Gold Chest, and then end up with some retarded Spells I can't even use...how is that fun?

We've all seen that Inno's version of probabilities is highly suspect - we know this from the number of Rune Shards it typically takes to win an Ancient Wonder. How many of us are likely to believe the award percentages they're posting for Chests? I know I'm not: Inno makes its living from frustrating players - not from rewards nor encouragement.

Why for flipping once can't they just be straight up?

DeletedUser594

I dislike these random reward ones too- if foe is any guide- and it has been so far so I may as well drop the preface- you can expect some events with prizes being won by chance in the fashion of this line. Others will have chance elements with different mechanics. Some will let you accrue the points and then spend them in a store type environment so you might pick whats of value to you and limit the junky stuff you don't want.
This type is a decent $ maker for inno I would imagine. Anyone with a little gambling jonesing will pulling out the CC.

DeletedUser486

In all fairness, it shouldn't generate frustration. It's not an uncommon tactic, nor is it unethical. The randomness of the chests appeals to the newer players that have difficulty completing the quests, as they have a chance to open good rewards.

In fact, the argument could be made that it is more fair for the rewards to be random than it is for them to be completely dependant on the chest type and thus unavailable to a decent portion of the playerbase.

DeletedUser627

Unfairness always produces frustration. And a fair methodology for attaining the rewards wouldn't make them "unavailable" - it would make them equally available to every player. Everyone would receive what they worked for.

As I predicted, I bought a silver chest and was the unlucky recipient of useless Spells. And I mean totally useless. There's nothing "fair" about getting nothing in exchange for something.

DeletedUser2191

In all fairness, it shouldn't generate frustration. It's not an uncommon tactic, nor is it unethical. The randomness of the chests appeals to the newer players that have difficulty completing the quests, as they have a chance to open good rewards.

In fact, the argument could be made that it is more fair for the rewards to be random than it is for them to be completely dependant on the chest type and thus unavailable to a decent portion of the playerbase.

Let's set aside the random chance factor. Go have a look at my reply in the Summer Solstice feedback thread. Now tell me that players won't be frustrated when there is a statistical value differential of the daily and grand prize rewards because of where a player is chapter progression wise.

DeletedUser3575

Let's set aside the random chance factor. Go have a look at my reply in the Summer Solstice feedback thread. Now tell me that players won't be frustrated when there is a statistical value differential of the daily and grand prize rewards because of where a player is chapter progression wise.

Yeah, I saw that post, and you're right - that's probably the most frustrating part of it! I wonder if those buildings will increase in value as the player progresses once they're built. I would say "that seems only fair" but as bobbipiazza points out, there's not a lot of "fair" going around these days...

DeletedUser627

they had the "progress" discussion on beta, with the conclusion that they don't progress in value as players advance. It's stuck at the level where you "won" it. So, it's just another premium building to discard later.

DeletedUser2191

they had the "progress" discussion on beta, with the conclusion that they don't progress in value as players advance. It's stuck at the level where you "won" it. So, it's just another premium building to discard later.

So the chapter progression factor was already a known concept, yet in the wiki and announcements on the US forums or in game, there is not a single mention of this. Can I get a face palm LOL.

DeletedUser61

Unfairness always produces frustration.
Fairness is obviously subjective. All Ponies and Rainbows would make for a pretty boring game.

Random is as fair as it gets. Eliminating "frustration" is an inherently unfair process. If it's less frustrating to you, it's more frustrating to somebody else.

DeletedUser43

Think of the uneven level things like this. If you started a year ago you didn't have this contest or any chance to win any of those buildings. If you start now, you do. With any luck, they will continue to have more of these contests so that as you progress as a newer player you will have more buildings to win that will give you higher rewards.

If the rewards were the same, either the buildings would be crazily overpowered for lower players or crazily underpowered for advanced players. I think this was a good solution.

Regarding the randomness....strategy helps. Don't open all the chests you can. Wait. Save up your chances for a building you really want. Those quests that keep coming, don't keep coming. There is a finite number of them. Sorry, I don't know the number. But with 13 days left on beta, I am already out of them. Now I am down to the daily thing only.

Of course, if you want to buy the moon thingies, ]you can get as many of them as you want to buy.

DeletedUser627

Random is as fair as it gets. Eliminating "frustration" is an inherently unfair process. If it's less frustrating to you, it's more frustrating to somebody else.

You know how simple it would be to eliminate frustration? Take the list of possible rewards for the Gold Chest, and where there are percentages, instead put little check boxes. Then players could actually PICK which reward they want!

Imagine that - rewards we actually like. Conclusions that make us enjoy playing.

Not at all like I feel at this moment, having just purchased 2 gold chests and received 60 utterly useless Magic Spells, the substantive benefit of which is nada to my city.

Unless you're lucky, this event sucks.

DeletedUser594

There's going to be more contests with varying payout schemes and different options for obtaining items than you can shake a stick at. This was so very similar to the forge event I have no doubt they will be adopting other events for this game. This particular payout style is one of the more frustrating. There will be others that give you choices in picking out your prizes- think skee-ball tickets and a payout counter. This was not a great contest to kick things off with because of the pile of blah prizes you have no ability to avoid. There's a high ratio of junk to good prizes in this one.

DeletedUser3694

This is an interesting discussion, because some players will love the random side of it, and others won't.

The deciding factor is, of course, who wins what prizes. If they ever make item trading, and a few years down the line, someone offers me five billion gold for my rainbow unicorn, I'll be happy that they are rare. But because the Silver Unicorn went by before I could get it, I was then also upset that the event was random.

Hitting the sweet spot here is tough. I watched a LOT of players get angry when, on a dragon game I play, they made it possible so you could just go into the market place during events and purchase the event skins with treasure. It over inflated the market and now basically all event items are totally worthless. There's no point to an event that awards items if everyone can get them very easily. But at the same time, without item trading being available, there's also no reason for me to push harder to get the items. If I have one unicorn, I have one unicorn. I don't need to stock up five unicorns so I can trade 4 later.

I do think it would benefit the game greatly if we could choose prizes here, even if the cap of not giving us 'enough' sun flares happened. While there still has to be some incentive there to get some players to spend money, I'd rather spend all my moon splinters on unicorns. I would have actually built the Magic Academy when that quest came up, because I would have wanted the extra moon splinters. Or, players could just buy moon splinters and buy those prizes if that's what they want to do.

DeletedUser3312

smiles it is ... without a lot of effort and thought.. about making money. we finished the non episodic quests and got the first prize. now we have the daily prize of 35 shards each and need 200 of them.. not going to happen with buying shards and the 3rd prize.. ya.. it's all about money. The devs have got greedy.. trips to Tahiti have filled their brains and they want us to pay for them. I do buy diamonds for culture and for expansions.. but I don't and will not for things like this. sigh......

DeletedUser61

Do you think a Slot Machine pays out the BIG prize every time? Not for an instant.

You're ignoring basic psychology. People keep playing when there's still a prize that they want.

DeletedUser2396

Here i am thinking to myself "So i am in Chapter 5 now and i get the prize i want a Culture Building with Population - months later i am in Chapter 7 or 8 and i am deleting this prize to make room for space as it doesn't provide more culture and population that i will need down the road - what kind of basic psychology is this reasoning thought process imply to you - Katwijk

DeletedUser3312

I have followed Katwijik for a while.. this person is determined to play the 'DEVILS ADOVACATE' in things. smiles. no matter what you think this person will have a negative response. Seems that katwijik has an unlimited number of credit cards and such to play as they are always for whatever the game puts out. That being said.. this person does at times have useful information for players so continue to read his helpful posts... however know that for the most part, you will be dissed for the way you play and think.

Here i am thinking to myself "So i am in Chapter 5 now and i get the prize i want a Culture Building with Population - months later i am in Chapter 7 or 8 and i am deleting this prize to make room for space as it doesn't provide more culture and population that i will need down the road - what kind of basic psychology is this reasoning thought process imply to you - Katwijk

I also am in chapter 5.. the last of the "sane' chapters.. smiles.. the next begin dwarves, fairies, and then oh heck no Orcs. smiles. I belong to an awesome FS and get lots of good advice. and that is important... belong to a strong fellowship. check them out and apply to the top fellowships. they will help you so much. culture is very important.. know that culture you buy with diamonds will be simply deleted when you out grow it. sad but true... so don't spend money on diamond culture. I did and sigh.. now.. I have a ton of waste that truly ticks me off. now.. understand.. some culture does give population a very important aspect. so before you delete that culture.. make sure you have more population and culture to take its place.

Here i am thinking to myself "So i am in Chapter 5 now and i get the prize i want a Culture Building with Population - months later i am in Chapter 7 or 8 and i am deleting this prize to make room for space as it doesn't provide more culture and population that i will need down the road - ,,,,,

From what I have been told.. we all sell obsolete culture when the space does not support the amount of culture. Sadly many of us used real money (diamonds) to buy culture and we simply hate to just toss out real money. I mean it is crazy!!! however the developers do not really care what we think and so declare items bought with real money to be simply trash. I will no longer spend cash to buy culture. it is silly to do so. we outgrow it quickly and if we used game coins we get coins and hammers back. If we use real money.. we get nothing back. stupid to the max but there you have it. only use coins to buy culture. if you hover at 100% you are in the norm. few get more unless they spend lots of diamonds. so.. build houses and workshops and don't worry about it. keep just enough that you can build and grow.

Last edited by a moderator: