• Dear forum visitor,

It looks as though you have not registered for a forum account, or are not signed in. In order to participate in current discussions or create new threads, you will need to register for a forum account by clicking on the link below.

Click here to register for a forum account!

If you already have a forum account, you can simply click on the 'Log in' button at the top right of your forum screen.

Your Elvenar Team

Feedback Ads Feedback thread

Silly Bubbles

You cant pop them all
I open the ads and wait out the few seconds cuz I like to get the little prizes. Also cuz some of them completely crack me up:

-The plush hanging dead monkey being strangled by a human hand

-"Cremation Urns Are Our Passion"

-Re: the 'scantily clad' hangman's girl: just walk down the street in your city and you'll see more boob that she's showing (IS quite well built, however...jealous)

I'm not sure about the app but the browser ads have options to customise or report the ads you see when you click on the three dots in top left corner.

satchmo33

Well, as I said before....I endure the ads for both the little prizes and for the laugh-out-loud value from their stupid-ness

ajqtrz

Chef - loquacious Old Dog
I would recommend reading the Ideas & Suggestions guidelines, so you can re-format your post accordingly.
If I remember correctly, they won't consider any new suggestions anyway, so why bother?

As for the ads, nobody sees any. What you see is an advertisement to get paid for watching an ad. If there were ads that popped up, yeah, that would be annoying. But an ad about getting paid in some kind of game resources? That's, technically, not a pop ad. So it probably can't be blocked even if you wished for it to be so.

In addition, we live in a world full of advertising. And in most cases it's not something you can choose to watch or not. I avoid social media for that reason...way too much unavoidable advertising for my taste. But advertising is a way to pay for things. Inno has to pay for things and the only way to do it is to find "revenue" streams. They could have, of course, started actually popping up ads on us. But they didn't. And that's a positive.

In any case, the reason they did, I believe, is basic business economics. They have stock holders and those stock holders can withdraw their money (sell their stock), at any time. Many will when the return on investment of the company drops below either a certain level, or a level below that of the competition. Nothing hurts a large company more than the loss of capital. Capital is the blood of business. So, to avoid losing the capital they must keep profits at a level at least near that of their competition. As time goes on in the gaming world this is harder to do. So, I get the sense that, given the age of the game, they have reached a point of flat revenue growth. That means you either begin to lose your capital or you find ways to increase revenues/profits. The fact that Inno is not popping ads up, makes me have more confidence in the company. They are giving us a choice to contribute to their revenue stream in a way that trades time for resources rather than forcing us to deal with real pop-up advertising.

AJ

ajqtrz

Chef - loquacious Old Dog
My comment that you're responding to is from 6/5, before the US forum was notified of this. SillyBubbles brought it to the forum on 6/12, so my comment at the time was still relevant.:rolleyes:
I appologize for being a bit too harsh. Sometimes important details elude me, but that's not much of an excuse.

lauren1957

Every experiment has to have 2 groups: the Test group and the Control group.
You are probably in the Control group for the experiment on your server.
This is not "backwards". It's not "inappropriate". It's not "wrong".
No! I was told specifically by an Inno support person that I was in the experimental group. Maybe s/he was confused; else it is indeed bass-ackwards.

Elovios

Co-Community Manager
Elvenar Team
Hi there!

To get back on track, I would like to underline that mods don't make things up (unless we're writing a fantasy novel) and that we're trying to promote posting that is comprehensive; therefore symbols and other stuff aren't that helpful to the community.

lauren1957

Every experiment has to have 2 groups: the Test group and the Control group.
You are probably in the Control group for the experiment on your server.
This is not "backwards". It's not "inappropriate". It's not "wrong".
No. I am in the experimental group. Not a control group, and not a test group. Thus, if you are correct, the rollout was totally random (Inno did not use either of the words control or test in their communication to me). I want to know the basis for selection into what is referred to as the experimental group. If not purely random, this is cause for concern.

Katwick

Cartographer
I want to know the basis for selection into what is referred to as the experimental group. If not purely random, this is cause for concern.
But everybody knows that you have to ask the right questions if you want the right answers o_O.

Lawyers carry it to the extreme of not asking the question if they don't already know the answer!

Flashfyre

No. I am in the experimental group. Not a control group, and not a test group. Thus, if you are correct, the rollout was totally random (Inno did not use either of the words control or test in their communication to me). I want to know the basis for selection into what is referred to as the experimental group. If not purely random, this is cause for concern.
That's not how experiments work. Subjects in either the control or test groups are not told which group they are in; that would invalidate the results of the experiment. You were told you were in the experimental group; not whether you were a control subject or a test subject within that group. And that experimental group did not have to include everyone on your server; it's quite likely that at this stage, a smaller sample size would give better results.
You don't know the reasons for who was chosen for which section, and you don't need to know; if you did, it could skew the data collected from your participation. You also don't know that this was a random rollout (as you put it) or not; again, not something you need to know as a participant.

lauren1957

It is possible the experiment was designed to see how many players would DEMAND that Inno give them ads. ;)
I suppose anything is possible in Inno land.

Make them go away? Why? If you keep Adblocker on, you have little chance of any security threat and you can just ignore the little man on the builder's shoulder, just like I ignore Melissa who sits atop my Magic Academy.

Darielle

Chef, Scroll-Keeper, and Buddy Fan Club Member
Two people above mentioned 30 second ads. I have used the ads a lot, both the drops and the hobby room, and I've never seen a 30-second ad. I've seen a few 10-second ads but most of them are 5-seconds.

If they were 30 second, I'd hate them, but 5 seconds for a chance to win 18 diamonds (and a guaranteed win of something, anyway) is fine by me.

Enevhar Aldarion

Oh Wise One
Two people above mentioned 30 second ads. I have used the ads a lot, both the drops and the hobby room, and I've never seen a 30-second ad. I've seen a few 10-second ads but most of them are 5-seconds.

If they were 30 second, I'd hate them, but 5 seconds for a chance to win 18 diamonds (and a guaranteed win of something, anyway) is fine by me.

They are all 30+ seconds long in the mobile app. And if you exit the ad before it is done and you have the big X to tap, you don't get a reward. And that is how they are in every mobile game I have ever played. I am surprised they are different in the browser.