• Dear forum visitor,

It looks as though you have not registered for a forum account, or are not signed in. In order to participate in current discussions or create new threads, you will need to register for a forum account by clicking on the link below.

Click here to register for a forum account!

If you already have a forum account, you can simply click on the 'Log in' button at the top right of your forum screen.

Your Elvenar Team

Ashrem

Oh Wise One
ah
that is a welcome change
There's still potential for a slight advantage if your capacity isn't enough to queue a full larger unit. If unit "y" is 6x, and your capacity is 25 units, you can queue 25 archers or light melee ("x") per slot, but you can only queue 4 of unit "y" per slot for a total of 24. Never more than a difference of half a dozen units per slot, but still a disadvantage (if you have a use for the smaller units)

DeletedUser2986

I really enjoyed this event. As a Wiccan High Priestess, I do have a problem with the grand prize. The witches are dancing around the fire widdershins (counter-clockwise). Dancing this way raises negative energy, used for decreasing or diminishing something (like a cancer). At this time of year, we dance deosil (clockwise) to raise positive energy for growing crops.

DeletedUser3622

I'm guessing you haven't been upgrading your main armory.
If you are being required to do 3000 troops you must be fairly advanced.
It wouldn't be that hard to do 3000 if you had a maxed armory and a barracks upgraded to 5 slots.

As a non-combat player, why would I upgrade my armory to max? It's currently already at L23 and I've still used over 15 of my 14-hour boosts to get not even halfway through the last quest. Everything besides the troop training quests has been delightful and fun, but knowing I'm going to stall hard unless I use up all my best boosters makes those other parts much less enjoyable.

DeletedUser16509

well after three days wont finish all the quests for this story

Deleted User - 976657

There's still potential for a slight advantage if your capacity isn't enough to queue a full larger unit. If unit "y" is 6x, and your capacity is 25 units, you can queue 25 archers or light melee ("x") per slot, but you can only queue 4 of unit "y" per slot for a total of 24. Never more than a difference of half a dozen units per slot, but still a disadvantage (if you have a use for the smaller units)
Ashrem, I added a Mercenary Camp in hopes of increasing the number of troops I can train, but I can't tell if it will be a help or not. Do you happen to know? Thanks in advance.

Deleted User - 976657

As a non-combat player, why would I upgrade my armory to max? It's currently already at L23 and I've still used over 15 of my 14-hour boosts to get not even halfway through the last quest. Everything besides the troop training quests has been delightful and fun, but knowing I'm going to stall hard unless I use up all my best boosters makes those other parts much less enjoyable.
I ended up using all of the time boosts that I won in the quest just to try to finish the quest. That was pretty annoying.

mucksterme

Oh Wise One
I really enjoyed this event. As a Wiccan High Priestess, I do have a problem with the grand prize. The witches are dancing around the fire widdershins (counter-clockwise). Dancing this way raises negative energy, used for decreasing or diminishing something (like a cancer). At this time of year, we dance deosil (clockwise) to raise positive energy for growing crops.

Maybe they are evil
Or maybe they are Australian, everything spins backwards down there
They could be evil Australian Witches
which are basically like Evil New Zealand witches but with fewer sheep

One: For events like this
B: But more importantly because you need them producing orcs

Ashrem, I added a Mercenary Camp in hopes of increasing the number of troops I can train, but I can't tell if it will be a help or not. Do you happen to know? Thanks in advance.

I'm not Ashrem, but I do play one on tv

What you can do with the Merc Camp is use it to train units ahead of time
example
say you have 4 slots in your armory and all together they will produce 500 archers
but the task calls for 800 units
now if you train ahead, then once the task comes up you can take those 500 archers then start training 300 more
which is a time saver
BUT
if you train those archers and leave them there
now you go to the merc camp and use the empty slots there to train 300 dogs
then the task comes up and you can take everything immediately

on a side note
now that you have the merc
if you decide to try fighting
dogs are great against mages

Deleted User - 976657

Maybe they are evil

One: For events like this
B: But more importantly because you need them producing orcs

I'm not Ashrem, but I do play one on tv

What you can do with the Merc Camp is use it to train units ahead of time
example
say you have 4 slots in your armory and all together they will produce 500 archers
but the task calls for 800 units
now if you train ahead, then once the task comes up you can take those 500 archers then start training 300 more
which is a time saver
BUT
if you train those archers and leave them there
now you go to the merc camp and use the empty slots there to train 300 dogs
then the task comes up and you can take everything immediately

on a side note
now that you have the merc
if you decide to try fighting
dogs are great against mages

Thanks, Mucksterme. Lots of useful stuff here.

I'm finding that the Merc Camp is terribly useful. If I don't sleep, I think I might be able to complete the quest.

DeletedUser

Maybe they are evil

I'm going to be stuck with this in my head for days.
The Monty Python skit that never was.

Thank you for that. :D

Ashrem

Oh Wise One
Sorry, that was past my bedtome. But no, the Merc camp doesn't really speed things up, it just (as mucksterme said) gives you another place to queue troops, If you're using troops all the time, it can be handy for stockpiling them during an event, by filling it's queue then not harvesting it while you fill the queue again from another building after it's finished. I used it a lot at night when it ran slower than my barracks and I couldn't keep the barracks full overnight. The dogs (as stated previously) are handy when there are a lot of light ranged in the opposition.

DeletedUser12634

I have really enjoyed this event, and I took the final prize. However, I'm a "Goods" player, and recruiting units was ridiculously difficult. I had to use a lot of time boosts, and that became very frustrating.
Why not have a "recruit x units OR produce x tier 1, tier 2, and tier 3 goods" option?
Otherwise, I will not be able to play the next event (without plenty of time boosts), which would make me very sad.

DeletedUser9601

Why not have a "recruit x units OR produce x tier 1, tier 2, and tier 3 goods" option?
I think it comes down to game development intent. Inno has created a game with a lot of different aspects:
-building
-trading
-fighting
-negotiating
-exploring
-researching
The events generally require you to do a little bit of each of these. I think that is intentional, and I don't think its going to change in the future. The quests sometimes get tweaked to be a bit easier to accommodate player progress (e.g., a level 15 building OR scout a province).

One of my cities is a "fighting" city, and I have only 1 tier 1, tier 2 and tier 3 factory. So the string of quests that was 3x 9 hour tier 1, 3x 3 hour tier 1, and 2x 1 day tier 1 would have been impossible for me if I didn't build 2 level 1 steel factories. If you focus entirely one on aspect of the game, you just have to acknowledge that for some events, you will need to make some minor concessions in your cities to proceed.

At the end of the day, Inno can offer really nice prizes because they take some level of sacrifice. If every quest can be solved 3-4 different ways, its going to be much less of a sacrifice/challenge.

Ashrem

Oh Wise One
I think it comes down to game development intent. Inno has created a game with a lot of different aspects:
-building
-trading
-fighting
-negotiating
-exploring
-researching
The events generally require you to do a little bit of each of these. I think that is intentional, and I don't think its going to change in the future. The quests sometimes get tweaked to be a bit easier to accommodate player progress (e.g., a level 15 building OR scout a province).

One of my cities is a "fighting" city, and I have only 1 tier 1, tier 2 and tier 3 factory. So the string of quests that was 3x 9 hour tier 1, 3x 3 hour tier 1, and 2x 1 day tier 1 would have been impossible for me if I didn't build 2 level 1 steel factories. If you focus entirely one on aspect of the game, you just have to acknowledge that for some events, you will need to make some minor concessions in your cities to proceed.

At the end of the day, Inno can offer really nice prizes because they take some level of sacrifice. If every quest can be solved 3-4 different ways, its going to be much less of a sacrifice/challenge.
This is true, to a degree, but the numbers in the last military quest were really prohibitive for people who are avoiding the military aspect. Even if you started with only one factory, you could do it in 4 days. And you could always build more factories (as you did) someone with a low level barracks can't speed up their barracks by building another one.

DeletedUser9601

And you could always build more factories (as you did) someone with a low level barracks can't speed up their barracks by building another one.
True. But someone could also build a few armories to increase the training size. It doesn't get done any faster, but you can get more done overnight.

To me, its a tradeoff that everyone should understand. If you keep your barracks at level 1, you are getting a huge benefit by saving on pop and culture. I have a level 25 barracks. It costs 3,330 population, and 2-3x that in culture. So my barracks, in addition to the massive space requirement of the building itself, is costing me at least 3 expansions worth of space just to support its existence. The player who keeps a level 1 barracks is getting that space for free.

So you have choices: play the game with a level 1 barracks, and have 3 more expansions than other players for the duration of the game, or upgrade your barracks and have an easier time with events (in addition to all the other benefits that troops provide in tournaments and provinces).

The general format of the event quests require some combination of a. player time, b. city space, or c. resources. You put in a, b, and c (in varying amounts), and you get a nice prize.

I won't quibble with whether Inno got the numbers "right" in determining how many troops one "should" have to train to make it comparable to the goods you had to obtain, or the buildings you had to upgrade. I think debating about getting the number of troops "right" is a useful exercise. But I don't think we should expect the removal of the "train troops" quest, and I also think that if we expect these "train troops" quests to exist, the "right" number (in Inno's mind) is going to cause some pain/challenge for a player who does not have a max-level barracks and at least 1 armory.