• Dear forum visitor,

It looks as though you have not registered for a forum account, or are not signed in. In order to participate in current discussions or create new threads, you will need to register for a forum account by clicking on the link below.

Click here to register for a forum account!

If you already have a forum account, you can simply click on the 'Log in' button at the top right of your forum screen.

Your Elvenar Team

Rebalancing of select (old) event buildings

DeletedUser3122

They pinned a conversation to the top of this forum. That means that you NEVER had to go to the Beta forum to know. All you had to do is read within the forum for the Live version of the game YOU are playing.

What pinned conversation are you referring to? I only subscribe to this forum, to be sure I keep abreast of what's coming down the pike. They made this announcement only yesterday. I don't see a link to the pin you're talking about. ??

The change is a minor inconvenience for most: build another residence, and probably delete some useful, but not critical, building to make the space for it.

Do you have statistics on how this is a "minor inconvenience to most?" Most folks within my own FS are complaining a lot. I'm personally not affected by it, but many are.

Some people can't build another residence because you know, that requires culture. If their culture is negative, how can they do that? Some only have so much land to build enough culture to offset a -3000 culture deficit.

But they are promising some form of compensation. Whether its enough is a different question.

If a person got their car totaled (whether they were at fault or not) and the car insurance company said they'd reimburse the cost at some unknown point in the future, how is that person going to get to their job in the meantime?

Arguing about if it's affecting people or not? Of course it's affecting people. But why argue the point on the degree which someone should be upset? If it loses customers, you can argue til the cows come home, but in the meantime, you lost customers.

----------

The correct way to have handled it, but it's too late now of course!, was to send out the list of affected buildings a month ago. This way, people could have known what to build when they still had population and culture! They didn't even include the list in the announcement they claimed they would provide, only yesterday! How's that for preparation?

Last edited by a moderator:

Deborah M

Oh Wise One
@suki14 Sorry you feel that way but it just got to be too much with repeated indignation over not being on Beta forum after being nicely told over & over that it was also on this Forum. It is kind of rude to ignore the answers when it just seems to not play into your agenda.

Ashrem

Oh Wise One
It might have helped if the Thread was actually called

News from Beta - will contain spoilers - and critical information that will keep you from having a stroke in a few weeks - You should really, really read this thread, even if you don't know it exists because you never visit the forums and don't want to see spoilers - Don't say we didn't warn you even if you didn't see this warning - 'cause that's how we roll....

Last edited:

Nectar of the Gods

There is nothing minor about my "inconvenience". I have been robbed of a good deal of population by this "adjustment". I played the events with an eye toward adding buildings that gave both population and culture for the advancement of my city. I play 4 cities. My population has been devastated in all 4 of them. In one of those I went to bed last night with over 1,000 population. I now have -14. I'm in the middle of Dwarves with no space to "just add another residence".

The developers should never take away from a building that has been won. If they want to add to it, then fine. This is a poorly thought out change that does not benefit the players one iota. Yes, I'm angry enough to leave Elvenar. But I've spent a little too much money, time, and effort in the game to just walk out at the moment. Add some people I have come to really like, and I'll stay and see how this plays out. I am deeply disappointed in the developers, however. They are going to lose people. They need to get a clue on how to treat their players. And how not to treat their players.

Nectar of the Gods
Ceravyn, Arendyll, Elcysandir, Khelonaar

Suki14

@suki14 Sorry you feel that way but it just got to be too much with repeated indignation over not being on Beta forum after being nicely told over & over that it was also on this Forum. It is kind of rude to ignore the answers when it just seems to not play into your agenda.
I was not aware that I had ignored any answers, although I must confess that I am struggling to keep up with the way the chat goes on this forum. I have tried to read back and forth and tried to make sense. Perhaps the people who are always on here should remember that folks who are never on here dont understand how it all works, even, in my case, to how people are posting all over the place and then expecting me to know that they answered me somewhere totally different ... I am actually very lost in this conversation trying just to read in a downward way, i.e. like a book. So if you are angry because I have missed something that is miles above, then please understand, that I have not seen what you are referring to and am still trying to read downwards.

Deborah M

Oh Wise One
It might have helped if the Thread was actually called

News from Beta - will contain spoilers - and critical information that will keep you from having a stroke in a few weeks - You should really, really read this thread, even if you don't know it exists because you never visit the forums - Don't say we didn't warn you even if you didn't see this warning - 'cause that's how we roll....

Hahahahaha! You nailed it :cool::cool::cool:

DeletedUser12171

I'm curious about this though, how does one build a city so reliant on event buildings that you seem to not be able to do without them (it's not even really the case now - they're just less effective now than they were before at the same stage)

By extension, does that mean event buildings are a necessity for a decent city to function? If so, I'd say something is very broken with the base mechanics. I mean like, what if they were no events? Or what if you didn't win any buildings in events? But if not, then I feel it's just a matter of preference and adjusting expectations

Elenara

This is the lowest, dirtiest trick you have thus far played on your once loyal players. What is it with you people, does it make you crazy when people actually enjoy playing your game? Do you all sit around and say, "Oh dear, they're having too much fun, we have to mess up the game again." Here's a, thought, if you need to rebalance the game, how about giving us something instead of always taking away.

DeletedUser3122

There was a conversation started here on April 10th,
News from Beta - may contain spoilers!

Where is that post? You did not link it.

If THIS is the link you mean, you'd have to read the entire thread to see the discussion, because the opening thread says:

Dear Humans and Elves,

Since we are noticing more and more players discussing Beta on the US forum, we've decided to create a thread just for this news. This also means that, from now on, all other threads attempting to discuss our Beta version will be either merged with this thread, or will be locked and redirected here. That way, we have a single point on the forums where beta can be discussed.

This ensures that:
  • anyone who doesn't wish to read about Beta-related topics doesn't have to.
  • anyone who does want to read about Beta-related topics knows exactly where to look.
Should you feel that this single thread does not provide enough space for the discussion you want to have, we would like to encourage you to visit the Beta forum, which is dedicated to the Beta version, and offers more information.

We want to thank you for your dedication to Elvenar!

If I don't read posts in the beta forum, why would I read a beta forum copy of spoilers?

I don't like to be a part of these forums because of the snarkiness. But I do subscribe to the Announcements so that I can keep my FS informed!

Burying the announcement in a beta thread is not the way to prepare archmages. And by the way, the post was not April 10. It was April 26.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser12171

Also, people seem to miss the fact that the change was effected by something that players wanted - the ability to upgrade non-magic (diamond) buildings with blueprints

DeletedUser7686

This game is about trade offs in space and time. The value of my trade offs has changed dramatically overnight. Specifically, the amount of sleep I gave up to win these specific Event Buildings has been revealed to be entirely wrong. The money I spent on Diamonds to buy additional space to place these buildings has proven to be be a poor investment. The amount of study and analysis spent to understand the values of the trade offs has proved wasted. My new analysis is that any further analysis of trade offs in the game are likely to be worthless. If my goal in a game is triumph by understanding, to develop strategies, then I cannot derive that from this game.

The money I have given to support the developers haa been wasted. The sleep I gave up to time my collections and quests has been mispent.

My mistake was to think of this game as a puzzle to be worked out. It cannot be worked out, as it in effect has no real rules. It is, in effect, a game whose only rule is that the rules may be changed at any time for any reason.

That is not a game I wish to spend any more time thinking about or giving up sleep over.

Last edited:

DeletedUser9601

My population has been devastated in all 4 of them. In one of those I went to bed last night with over 1,000 population. I now have -14. I'm in the middle of Dwarves with no space to "just add another residence".
Looks like there's some space next to your ice temple to add another residence. Or move any of those culture buildings (ice temple, nut cave, etc) to the candy cane tree where no road is needed, and build 2. Or move them over to below your gems factory.
Or you could delete some level 15 marble factories (of which you have 8). Or your travelling merchant. Or your Throne of High Men (which is a terrible wonder for someone in Dwarves).

And your post is 100% why I have to take most of these complaints with a grain of salt. You say your city was "devastated." There are a few simple changes that would get you right back to where you were, with minimal changes to what your city actually produces. And maybe you only do 9 rounds of the tournament, instead of 10, until you can get a new event building (or until the upgrade spell gets distributed), because you're producing 8% less marble (or whatever). It stinks, but its not the end of the world.

DeletedUser9601

This game is about trade offs in space and time. The value of my trade offs has changed dramatically overnight. Specifically, the amount of sleep I gave up to win these specific Event Buildings has been revealed to be entirely wrong.
Or, you could wait to see what happens when the spells come out. And if those spells improve some of the larger event buildings you've won, then your trade off may have actually improved. And I suspect for anyone with the Grand Prizes still in effect for the last few major seasonal events, that will be true.

It stinks that there's no timeline for those building-upgrade spells, though.

Ashrem

Oh Wise One
I'm curious about this though, how does one build a city so reliant on event buildings that you seem to not be able to do without them (it's not even really the case now - they're just less effective now than they were before
It's not that you can't do without them, it's that you develop a play style that relies on them. I can get rid of my 11 glossy gardens, but it takes moving at a different pace, and playing a different way. I've consistently had my culture at maximum and will now have to find a different way to get some of my coin and supplies. I'll need more residences, which means more culture to support those residences, instead of the buildings giving me extra culture. I'll have to reduce my factories by one or two, and probably add a workshop to have enough supplies, which means adding more residences to support the workshop and giving up more culture to support both, all so that I can move slower.

Deborah M

Oh Wise One
@Deawyne Oops! :oops: You are correct. I got the date wrong. Anyway, I don't get all of this outrage over event buildings from prior to 2017. I don't even see why you would want your city to be so stagnant that you don't upgrade to more current culture buildings. One of the whole points of this game is to evolve your city. I do have some culture items that are "must keep" although most are premium. Bottom line for me was that I knew it was coming, didn't think it was going to really have much if any effect, built a Temple of Elements just in case. Problem solved even though there didn't turn out to even be a problem.

So for all of those saying how Inno is going to go broke over this, have you even considered that probably 1 premium culture plus population building will likely solve the problem? I know. Let the outrage begin over the mere suggestion of spending diamonds. IMO it would be $ well spent to stop being upset over the shortage if players don't want to play the game and actually replace 2016 buildings and evolve their city.

DeletedUser9601

By extension, does that mean event buildings are a necessity for a decent city to function? If so, I'd say something is very broken with the base mechanics. I mean like, what if they were no events? Or what if you didn't win any buildings in events? But if not, then I feel it's just a matter of preference and adjusting expectations
@Ashrem touched on it, but I think pace of play needs to be taken into account. I look to go through the tech tree asap, so for me, event buildings have less value. They'll become obsolete faster.

Someone like Ashrem, who is purposefully going slower, or someone who just doesn't play as much, might get a lot more value out of the old event buildings. I have some neighbors who have taken a year to go from Fairies to Orcs who still have Winter Stars. Those folks play less frequently, and progress slowly, so they're still getting good value out of those Stars (which I assume are "Dwarf" levels).

DeletedUser4441

Well there was a time when there were fewer events. Now events happen every couple of weeks. It's my understanding that more people play during events than not. Also Inno can offer deals to buy things to help players proceed faster and finish an event. Yes, my style of play is using event buildings to help progress through the game. It's a strategy that worked for me and I enjoyed doing it.

I'm in Woodelves and just deleted several event buildings to make room for weeping willows but kept the buildings with the largest populations and smallest footprint.

Now I can spend the next few weeks upgrading houses, spending resources and culture doing so just to get to zero population. Then another few weeks to get to the population where I was at before rebalancing. Or I could buy some magical buildings. I did spend money on the game for expansions and builders mostly. Enjoyed the challenge of trying to progress without spending coin. Players like me are not what Inno wants I'm guessing.

This is the second rebalancing I've gone through while playing this game and no longer feel interested in doing so. I'll hang out for a couple days to see if Inno does anything (doubt if they will).
@Ashrem touched on it, but I think pace of play needs to be taken into account. I look to go through the tech tree asap, so for me, event buildings have less value. They'll become obsolete faster.

Someone like Ashrem, who is purposefully going slower, or someone who just doesn't play as much, might get a lot more value out of the old event buildings. I have some neighbors who have taken a year to go from Fairies to Orcs who still have Winter Stars. Those folks play less frequently, and progress slowly, so they're still getting good value out of those Stars (which I assume are "Dwarf" levels).

DeletedUser12171

Well there was a time when there were fewer events. Now events happen every couple of weeks. It's my understanding that more people play during events than not. Also Inno can offer deals to buy things to help players proceed faster and finish an event. Yes, my style of play is using event buildings to help progress through the game. It's a strategy that worked for me and I enjoyed doing it.

I'm in Woodelves and just deleted several event buildings to make room for weeping willows but kept the buildings with the largest populations and smallest footprint.

Now I can spend the next few weeks upgrading houses, spending resources and culture doing so just to get to zero population. Then another few weeks to get to the population where I was at before rebalancing. Or I could buy some magical buildings. I did spend money on the game for expansions and builders mostly. Enjoyed the challenge of trying to progress without spending coin. Players like me are not what Inno wants I'm guessing.

This is the second rebalancing I've gone through while playing this game and no longer feel interested in doing so. I'll hang out for a couple days to see if Inno does anything (doubt if they will).

sorry to hear that you and several others have been so affected by this change, to the point of not wanting to play anymore. I guess my strategy in this game is simply "I do whatever works" and it's been working pretty well for me so far. GL in your other ventures!