• Dear forum visitor,

It looks as though you have not registered for a forum account, or are not signed in. In order to participate in current discussions or create new threads, you will need to register for a forum account by clicking on the link below.

Click here to register for a forum account!

If you already have a forum account, you can simply click on the 'Log in' button at the top right of your forum screen.

Your Elvenar Team

New Spire of Eternity rewards - discussion thread

Darielle

Chef, Scroll-Keeper, and Buddy Fan Club Member
I only started a few months ago and got all pieces of the set except the main piece. Good job INNO you helped me quit the game!
The funny part is, I had four libraries and I didn't put a single one out, while I put tons of endless scrolls, mana plants, moonstone gates and gum trees out in configurations that gave me all the bonuses. I felt the little things, and the mana they gave, were worth far more than what the library would give me. I've only recently put out one of the libraries because I had room after the FA, but I still wonder whether I should put it back in storage and put some more of the little things in its place. Mana is much more important to me than scrolls (and one little cc per day).

Darielle

@Eudaemonia I'm pleased that has been your experience but it hasn't been mine at all. In the time since the moonstone library has been available in the spire I've haven't seen a trade asking for scrolls in my NH for more than 2500 - usually they are closer to 1000 or less (these are from newer cities who haven't either built their own scrolls yet or gone far in the spire). Daily I go to the trader and look....not a single trade demanding scrolls (other than the rare and few, scattered little ones mentioned above). And I have 32 daily active neighbors so location isn't the issue. Non-scroll boosted members of my fellowship have millions of scrolls which they also bemoan having no home for in the trader and so they just...amass. When I go to the trader trying to get some silk or crystal I am essentially putting a hat out and asking for a hand-out. The two regulars who actually take my scroll trades are -I know because I've chatted with them about it - helping me out because they have more silk and crystal than they know what to do with and they are generous players. I feel fortunate to have them in my neighborhood.

Asking for more scolls in tournies and the tech tree has not come close to balancing the imbalance where I reside. These 400k or more asks are easily eaten up once or twice in a tech tree, or once a week in the tourney by anyone with a decent moonstone set. I have seen zero uptick in scroll demand (which is at zero) in my trader since the release of chapter 16 or 17 or the new tourney format. I'm looking for something substantial to come along and correct the obvious imbalance of goods created by the moonstone. And I would argue that "the same" cannot be said for the imbalanced production between human and elven cities. This is an apparent imbalance which is easily overcome by the circumstances you outlined. The over abundance of scrolls in not apparent, it is a real and day-to-day reality.

Sure, I lump along fine despite there being no value to my scrolls anymore, but without a ton of enthusiasm for this aspect of things. It isn't the game I loved before the moonstone where FSs advertised for scroll boosted players, my trades were actualy needed within the fs or the neighborhood trader and there was some purpose to me unlocking and upgrading my scroll factories.
I wholeheartedly agree. I think the only ones who don't see the imbalance are players in chapters 1-10, and who haven't seen the disadvantages when trading with people who regularly play the spire and who are in advanced chapters. With few exceptions like AJ, of course. :)

Darielle

What did Inno do to the percentages for the rewards in the Spire? I have never before won so many Spell Fragments and so few Time Instances. And coin rains & supply refills, really? I thought the notes on the change indicated that players in Chapter 6 and up would have more opportunities to win Portal Profits. Where did I go wrong?
Yeah, I noticed that too.

Darielle

@MinMax Gamer would you be so kind as to give us some of that statistics magic of yours?
How many artifacts should a player get if they complete the spire 6 times?
36x5% plus
18x10% plus

Every encounter other than a boss(30%) gives 10% chance of a bonus chest, but do we know the odds of blue, gold & purple chests?
It feels like 60/30/10 but that's based on nothing.
The boss on the third floor this last time I made gold had a 5 percent chance at an artifact. I don't know if it's usually 30 percent, but I sure hope so. (I got the Dwarven armorer).

Deleted User - 3932582

The boss on the third floor this last time I made gold had a 5 percent chance at an artifact. I don't know if it's usually 30 percent, but I sure hope so. (I got the Dwarven armorer).
L3 boss has 30% chance for a bonus chest; the artifact is indeed only 5% directly.

Deleted User - 3932582

and while rare, I do every now and then get them so there not that rare lol.
1% per Genie collection means you'd be hitting it about every 2 months on average, because you're sampling every 12 hours or so. So if you have several Genies out you'd be seeing 200 diamonds every couple of weeks, which sounds about right. I have certainly seen quite a few of these.

Now 1% per single Spire (so weekly) is quite different, so you'd be expecting to see it pay off only about once every 2 years or so. But 100K in diamonds is more than enough to compensate for rarity. We're talking about 1000 diamonds a week amortized; nothing else can generate that much in this game (well, outside of a credit card).

Darielle

I found your response to be so refreshing. Most people find my hard edges uncomfortable. I value direct and open communication above all else but for many people my bluntness comes across as aggression or anger(or that I'm being an arsehole) and stop engaging. I do try to buffer my approach but I suck at social nuance. Sometimes I get stuck in the black and white, fixated on defining and refining the rules that define them that I forget about all the colours needed to paint the full picture. So thank you for bringing more colours, for pushing back on my edges and keeping the dialogue open.

Getting back to the topic, I know it may seem like I'm minimising the experiences of scroll boosted players but I'm not. Your experiences are unique to you just as everyone's are so how can I or anyone say they are more or less valid? What I am contesting is whether those experiences on their own are enough to present a full and accurate picture of the problem. Without accurately identifying the problem we can't possibly hope for successful solution. The devs are going to bow to community pressure once that pressure becomes a sufficient barrier to profits. They won't care whether it actually solves the problem or not because their focus is on balancing the happiness of the players and their profit margin. If people keep blaming moonstone libraries for scroll imbalances we could lose a great resource and still have a goods imbalance.

There's 3 points I want to make:
1) I believe that if there is an imbalance caused by the moonstone libraries that Inno knows about it and has put measures in place to equalise things.
There's ample evidence to support the idea that everything Inno does is purposeful - part of a well thought out game strategy. Given this, it is unreasonable to expect they would introduce buildings that give free goods and not anticipate the impact this would have on the trading environment. They could easily remedy any potential imbalance by increasing the amount and frequency of quests and negotiations that ask for scrolls. Inno has proven they often give with one hand whilst taking away with the other; The AW MM offers a fighting boost but also gives a fighting burden in a different way. In fact, the entire game is framed in this way. Remember that it's Inno's algorithm that determines a new players boosted goods so it's reasonable to believe that Inno may be limiting the number of new players who get scrolls boosted.

2) I don't think our personal experiences are a reliable source of information for forming an accurate understanding of the problem. If we believe there's a problem we will see proof of that - our brains will literally filter out information that doesn't fit our beliefs. This doesn't mean that we're imagining a problem but simply that without corroborating data our experiences must be weighed with caution. Given that the evidence against moonstone buildings is almost entirely anecdotal we need to look at other variables to support or dismiss that claim.

3) If there is an imbalance (and I do believe there is) we can't assume that this trading imbalance means scroll players are disadvantaged over other boosted goods players. I've shown before that steel production in human cities is far more profitable than it is in elven cities when all other factors are equal. Does this mean human cities have an advantage over elven cities? No. Human cities pay for their increased production rates in other ways like bigger housing and longer upgrade costs and time. So it's reasonable to expect that if the imbalance causes a disadvantage in trading that it also gives an advantage in some other way to scroll boosted players.

When I said the ground is wet and you're assuming it rained I meant that correlation is not causation - just because there are buildings that make scrolls and people experience an excess of scrolls doesn't mean that one caused the other - simply that they have something in common and we need far more than that before we draw conclusions.

As far as point one, goes, that there is "ample" evidence that "everything" Inno does is thoughtful and purposeful ... if this were true, then Inno would not backtrack and change things when they goof up ... and they do. They goofed up when first implementing the new tourney. They goofed up when implementing the new FA. They goofed up on countless other things. Every month they post "fixes" to problems they caused. I'm not saying they don't try hard. They do, and most of the time, they get it right. It's a good company and a lovely game. But there is not "ample" evidence that "everything" they do is thoughtful and purposeful, except in the matter of trying to make money.

Ergo, since not everything is thoughtful and done after taking in all different sides and getting input from a variety of opinions, then by the same token, you can't "assume" that Inno has compensated fully for the imbalance of scrolls. Maybe they are spending too many years "studying" the problem, as you suggested, or maybe they're working on other things and have this on a back burner until they can figure out a good approach. Someone (probably the creator) may like the idea of "scrolls" in a "library," and may not like the idea of putting less appropriate things in there. Hence the debate. Who knows? We cannot assume they are fixing it in a thoughtful and purposeful way, at least not currently. Maybe their spire change was a way to test it out and see what would happen. Maybe they didn't want to abruptly end something that people (especially those not boosted in scrolls) love. Who knows?

As far as point two goes, there are times when people spend years (as I said above) "studying" a problem while many people are hurting from that problem. How many times have we said "We need a Marshall Plan for the Third World," but no one does anything about it because they are "studying" the problem. So year after year, people languish. We can't know that isn't what's happening here. How long should we avoid listening to people saying, "We're hungry" and saying "Well, that's only your opinion. We need hard data that you're actually hungry, and that will take many medical tests and then spending months crunching the data before we really know." ? That doesn't make sense to me.

As far as point three goes, let's use another analogy. Say there are three items that everyone needs ... fuel, food, and shelter. Everyone has the ability to provide one of these items and trades the other two for the rest. This works fine until everyone has a home. They don't need another one. So the home builders cannot trade for food and fuel, so they starve. Now you may say that just because there are so many homes doesn't mean that the home builders go hungry. They simply can offer bigger houses (more scrolls) for smaller amounts of food (say crystal). You may think that doesn't harm them, but it does. They've spent more time gathering the resources to make those bigger houses and now they're getting less than the others do. They didn't ask to be homebuilders, and it wasn't something they got into willingly. I know this isn't a perfect analogy, but it doesn't take a genius to understand that if you have an abundance of one item, the ones who only have that item as their boost are being harmed. Why make things more complicated by saying you have to spend forever studying the issue? Inno should have been studying this all along ... and maybe they are. Maybe they have several Eudaemonias on their staff, lol.

As far as "When I said the ground is wet and you're assuming it rained I meant that correlation is not causation" that is rather silly in this particular context (although it would be logical in a different context.) I had to laugh because you sound so much like my son. He graduated summa cum laude with a math and comp sci degree ... a real geeky engineer type. I'll never forget the time when the jam jar was empty and put back in the fridge. We were the only ones living in the house at the time, and no one had visited recently. I asked him "Why did you put the empty jam jar back in the fridge?" and he asked me, "Why would you assume it was me?" I said, "Because it wasn't me and you're the only one here." And he fired back with "What evidence do you have for using that as a basis for proof? It's not proof. No one saw me do it." I laughed then, too (and he started laughing because he knew how silly it was).

I'm glad you are able to debate so forcefully; I'm the type who can enjoy such a challenge and hold no grudges. I do think that Inno has had more than enough time to study this problem and come up with a better solution than a temporary 6 week change in the spire. Hopefully that is only the first step, and that step two will come in a more timely manner than step one did.

SoggyShorts

Mathematician par Excellence
I still wonder whether I should put it back in storage and put some more of the little things in its place.
You can't teleport set buildings :( WTH since when? This is great!
I do think that Inno has had more than enough time to study this problem and come up with a better solution than a temporary 6 week change in the spire.
Sometimes it's a good idea to examine the issue, perhaps form a committee to confirm just how bad the issue is, and then come up with various methods that could be used to remedy the situation. Sometimes it's better to just change the diaper ASAP.;)

Last edited:

Deleted User - 1178646

1% per Genie collection means you'd be hitting it about every 2 months on average, because you're sampling every 12 hours or so. So if you have several Genies out you'd be seeing 200 diamonds every couple of weeks, which sounds about right. I have certainly seen quite a few of these.

Now 1% per single Spire (so weekly) is quite different, so you'd be expecting to see it pay off only about once every 2 years or so. But 100K in diamonds is more than enough to compensate for rarity. We're talking about 1000 diamonds a week amortized; nothing else can generate that much in this game (well, outside of a credit card).

you forget that there are 8?-9? worlds on us now, so thats more once every 2-3 months

AtaguS

Thanks for the response @Eudaemonia , and for laying out the points you want to make. It helps to see them all in one place. That said, I still disagree. And fixing this moonstone issue -whateverthecause - is important enough to me that I'll keep pressing.

For starters...
When I said the ground is wet and you're assuming it rained I meant that correlation is not causation
And when I said we were all standing in the rain I meant that sometimes a cigar is just a cigar :)

From your first point,
I believe that if there is an imbalance caused by the moonstone libraries that Inno knows about it and has put measures in place to equalise things.
I would like to think this were true, but have yet to see any measures having an impact in the way you suggest. As with your example of the AW MM and fighting balances...those effects are identifiably seen and experienced. I'm curious what you base this belief on. Are you seeing something out there that I am missing?

From your second point...
Given that the evidence against moonstone buildings is almost entirely anecdotal we need to look at other variables to support or dismiss that claim.
We do agree that one player's (even a handful of players') personal experience does not conclusive evidence make. But,
(better said than I could so:)
It's not anecdotal though, it's factual: We know for a fact that this building set only makes scrolls. We know that players have this building and that no silk or crystal equivalent building exists.
This is why Beta players predicted the problem over a year ago.
There is no question about whether it has an impact, just how much of one.

And from your third point...
I've shown before that steel production in human cities is far more profitable than it is in elven cities when all other factors are equal. Does this mean human cities have an advantage over elven cities? No. Human cities pay for their increased production rates in other ways like bigger housing and longer upgrade costs and time
I feel as though you are helping to make my case here (see my respone to point one above) when you admit that this "far more profitable" production is intentional and that Inno has identifiable measures in place to equal things out so that an imbalance does not occur. If the same were true of the moonstone library, as you believe, why is there still an imbalance? Might the lingering imbalance be a good indication that these measures (as yet unseen or unknown) are either not working or non-existant?
If the first, then let's get back to discussing how best to minimize the damage to scroll-boosted players caused by the moonstone.
If the latter, then let's get back to discussing how best to minimize the damage to scroll-boosted players caused by the moonstone.

Nectar of the Gods

New players need spell fragments.

When the Spire comes available in Chapter 3, yes, players need spell fragments and they need them desperately. I created a new city to remember what younger players had to go through. (I won't go into how ridiculous Chapter 2 is in difficulty, but that really should change so more new people are retained.) But I had my eye on Chapter 3 because the Spire would appear and I could take advantage of it to grow my city. And I did. I was grateful for every spell fragment I could get during that initial foray into the Spire. But by the end of the chapter I had enough spell fragments to use without getting copious amounts of spell fragments endlessly from the Spire.

I never said to take out all the spell fragments. I said to reduce the amounts. When you get to Stage 2 and 3 of the Spire, put something else in. There is no reason to continue to bombard people with spell fragments. And if you are unlucky, like I have been in one of my cities, the spell fragments seem to be the prize upwards of 90% of the time. There are people overran with time boosts. I would LOVE to be one of those people because then I could use the time boosts everywhere, including in the MA to speed up production. But no. I get spell fragments. I look like a hoarder of useless event buildings I will never place because there is no reason to disenchant them for spell fragments. Which is the way people used to get spell fragments, you know. Disenchanting items. Then the Spire arrives full of spell fragments and now there is no need to disenchant anything. Yes, new players need spell fragments. It's just new players don't stay new for very long. But the overabundance of spell fragments remain. It is maddening for a player who is no longer new.

And in my youngest city I never did win a Moonstone Library. Where I desperately need it. Because, you know, luck. I have none.

Last edited:

Nectar of the Gods

Not just new players ;)
I still need spell fragments, the spire alone is not able to keep up with my crafting.
I do own a level 5 academy for a reason, I want catalists.

I do own a level 5 MA for a reason too, in every city I have. For more than just catalysts. It's necessary to make anything in a reasonable amount of time and quite worth the diamond expenditure.

As far as spell fragments go, the Spire is quite enough to keep up with my crafting needs. I have the MA going constantly, as long as it has something I need in it. I have to make time boosts because I don't get as many as I could if the spell fragments were less prevalent, or at least less of a percentage chance of getting. I had over 300k of spell fragments before the last FA. I had a number of CCs saved up and so I sat there and made the vision vapor badge (whatever it's called) for my FS, using my precious time boosters. I spent a tremendous amount of spell fragments on badges and right now I am almost back up to 300k of the things. Working the Spire this morning I actually got some combining catalysts and a couple of other prizes. I was quite pleased. I also got another 4,700 spell fragments. And I'm not through with the Gateway yet. I will be faced with more spell fragments and I really just don't need them.

I would like more of something else. Anything else, honestly. Just less of something I don't need and can't use.

I have not placed moonstone set(s) as I got better stuff from the past.

Actually, you are missing out. The Moonstone sets are wonderful. Not just for the CC, which isn't bad when you need them. All the little set buildings that go around the Library produce a number of useful things. I love the Moonstone sets. I just wish they would produce something besides just scrolls. We won't mention spell fragments. ;)

Yogi Dave

It seems in other threads the consensus has been to reduce the number of or remove the spell frags at the top level and redistribute some of them from the 1st level to the 2nd level.
And in my youngest city I never did win a Moonstone Library. Where I desperately need it. Because, you know, luck. I have none.
This made me chuckle since one of the things you get from the library is spell frags. I know you get pop, culture and scrolls, but if you want the CC, you also get spell frags. At least the spell frags are just an annoyance since it feels like less than getting nothing. At least they do nothing to unbalance the game. I have almost a half million of them. To me, they are just a booby prize, like yet another relic when you have over 5K of each of them.
We won't mention spell fragments. ;)
Dang, I just did, but you posted before I finished mine.

Deleted User - 1178646

I do own a level 5 MA for a reason too, in every city I have. For more than just catalysts. It's necessary to make anything in a reasonable amount of time and quite worth the diamond expenditure.

As far as spell fragments go, the Spire is quite enough to keep up with my crafting needs. I have the MA going constantly, as long as it has something I need in it. I have to make time boosts because I don't get as many as I could if the spell fragments were less prevalent, or at least less of a percentage chance of getting. I had over 300k of spell fragments before the last FA. I had a number of CCs saved up and so I sat there and made the vision vapor badge (whatever it's called) for my FS, using my precious time boosters. I spent a tremendous amount of spell fragments on badges and right now I am almost back up to 300k of the things. Working the Spire this morning I actually got some combining catalysts and a couple of other prizes. I was quite pleased. I also got another 4,700 spell fragments. And I'm not through with the Gateway yet. I will be faced with more spell fragments and I really just don't need them.

I would like more of something else. Anything else, honestly. Just less of something I don't need and can't use.
Thats because you own moonstone sets, the spire itself (assuming you make all decent timeboosters, petfoot and combat buildings and lesser timeboosters if no petfood or combat buildings is an option) cannot keep up.

But if you own moonstone set(s) those make up the difference by a lot. but thats not the fault of the spire.
You cannot say the spire rewards sucks because I have something else that makes all I need, it's a choice to use it or not.

Actually, you are missing out. The Moonstone sets are wonderful. Not just for the CC, which isn't bad when you need them. All the little set buildings that go around the Library produce a number of useful things. I love the Moonstone sets. I just wish they would produce something besides just scrolls. We won't mention spell fragments. ;)

Load my biggest city trough elvenstats and see wonders ;)
I have 2 sets (kirit/karat + harvest set) that take 6 expansions and produce goods worth about 60-70 expansions
no moonstone set can get anywhere close to that insanity. I also still own a winterset that grant me another big T2 and T3 boost.

I recognise the power of the set (you can look up my name again for a city in a guild named "kings landing"
I most likely got one of the most insanly optimised moonsets there you have seen.

and yes I craft a lot more than on my main there as it's essentially a crafting factory that crafts anything. and I still got way way way too many spell fragments. but thats not because of the spire. but because of all the spell fragments from that set.

So I see both sides of the coin.

Nectar of the Gods

It seems in other threads the consensus has been to reduce the number of or remove the spell frags at the top level and redistribute some of them from the 1st level to the 2nd level.

It makes sense to me to leave the spell fragments on the 1st level where the younger players are most likely to play and take them off of the 2nd and 3rd levels. I could live with that. Sure, I'll still get them on the first level, but if I knew the 2nd and 3rd levels would be fragment free it would be something to aim for. I'm betting a lot of people would aim for higher levels if they knew the prizes were worth their time and energy.

This made me chuckle since one of the things you get from the library is spell frags. I know you get pop, culture and scrolls, but if you want the CC, you also get spell frags. At least the spell frags are just an annoyance since it feels like less than getting nothing. At least they do nothing to unbalance the game. I have almost a half million of them. To me, they are just a booby prize, like yet another relic when you have over 5K of each of them.

It truly isn't an issue of how many are sitting in my inventory. I could care less. It's like scrolls. There are so many scrolls being traded and I take those trades when I can. It leaves me with an excess of scrolls. But they aren't burning any holes in my pocket. There's no penalty for having an abundance. So who cares? The thing I do care about is not getting the prizes I want/need, like time instants, because I get an over abundance of spell fragments. If the devs fix that I will be happy. I just want a better chance at something decent for a change.

Lelanya

Scroll-Keeper, Keys to the Gems

Lol
I use those fragments for quests that ask for them during an event, so they are somewhat useful.