• Dear forum visitor,

It looks as though you have not registered for a forum account, or are not signed in. In order to participate in current discussions or create new threads, you will need to register for a forum account by clicking on the link below.

Click here to register for a forum account!

If you already have a forum account, you can simply click on the 'Log in' button at the top right of your forum screen.

Your Elvenar Team

News from Beta - May Contain Spoilers!

Status
Not open for further replies.

BAChief

It doesn't take that long to build up a sizable pile of junk, just find a good fellowship that isn't full of noob-hating elitists. :p
Does anyone have or know of a good fellowship that doesn't mind new blood and is willing to give appropriate opinions and advice? I'm eager to improve my strategy and overall knowledge of city managing with minimum expansions and battling tactics. I hope there is a place among the experienced so I can begin to learn and excel.

mikeledo

W
Does anyone have or know of a good fellowship that doesn't mind new blood and is willing to give appropriate opinions and advice? I'm eager to improve my strategy and overall knowledge of city managing with minimum expansions and battling tactics. I hope there is a place among the experienced so I can begin to learn and excel.
Wiki has knowledge on city arrangements. There is a lot of good information on the forum and the links, you just have to dig for it. As for me, I am done telling newbies not to have roads on the perimeter of the city.

Gladiola

@BAChief Try posting under members seeking fellowships in your game world. There are many fellowships that are delighted to help newer players learn and grow. I suggest looking for a fellowship with at least 2-3 members with more than 50k points. (Preferably more, but that's a bare minimum.) Look them up on elvenstats and vet them before you join to make sure your goals are compatible.

Jackluyt

Platinum Leaf -FB
From Marindor in the Forum:
Sorcerer's Knowledge bug and compensation

Dear Humans and Elves,
Today accidentally a change has been introduced with Sorcerer's Knowledge granted for event quests and the daily login bonus. We will do our best to prevent the bug from going to Live, but for Beta it has been decided that instead of putting a lot of time into fixing it here, to leave it as it is and compensate everyone affected with 250 Sorcerer's Knowledge.
Thank you for your understanding and sorry for the confusion caused!
Kind regards,
Your Elvenar Team

Enevhar Aldarion

Oh Wise One
Dear Humans and Elves,
Today accidentally a change has been introduced with Sorcerer's Knowledge granted for event quests and the daily login bonus. We will do our best to prevent the bug from going to Live, but for Beta it has been decided that instead of putting a lot of time into fixing it here, to leave it as it is and compensate everyone affected with 250 Sorcerer's Knowledge.
Thank you for your understanding and sorry for the confusion caused!
Kind regards,
Your Elvenar Team

To give a summary of this: There are two event currency rewards in the milestone prize bar. Until the past day or two, they were 250 each, and now, after this "bug", they are only 200 each. Up until last night, the free daily currency was 45. Last night is was 35, and will probably be 35 for the rest of the event. Two days ago, the event currency from the daily quests suddenly dropped by 7 per quest, for probably the final 7 quests of the event. It is not known how far back this drop goes or how many of the daily quests it actually affects. I am thinking it is not further back or the compensation would have been higher. As it is, the 250 is about equal to what a Beta player already at quest-lock, and not collected the milestones yet, would have lost.

This still seems very odd to just be a set of bugs/glitches, so I am thinking, as @SoggyShorts is also guessing, that these were changes to the amounts that would happen for the event on the Live servers, and they somehow accidentally made the changes on Beta too. If this stays like this, this will definitely be one of those times where the small print saying things may change from Beta to Live will be painfully true. I am quoting Jack's post here, rather than putting this in the event thread, because we will not know for sure if they nerfed the amounts for Live until the event starts next week.

Jackluyt

Platinum Leaf -FB
This still seems very odd to just be a set of bugs/glitches, so I am thinking that these were changes to the amounts that would happen for the event on the Live servers, and they somehow accidentally made the changes on Beta too.

That is not what Marindor is saying. He says it is a game glitch that they want to fix before the game goes live - so it would appear it was not intentional. Apparently the glitch is something to do with the new Tournament system that went wrong.

SoggyShorts

Mathematician par Excellence
That is not what Marindor is saying. He says it is a game glitch that they want to fix before the game goes live - so it would appear it was not intentional. Apparently the glitch is something to do with the new Tournament system that went wrong.
That makes no sense whatsoever.
Think about it:

What "tournament glitch" changes
  • the daily award from 45 to 35?
  • the quest rewards from 62 to 68?
  • the milestones from 250 to 200?
That's like saying the fan belt went on your car because you stubbed your toe yesterday. We all love the idea of the butterfly effect, but if you believe this is the case here I've got a bridge to sell you...

Iyapo1

A data query program with a line of test code propagating data from a test file into the game? Just a thought.

Last edited:

Lelanya

Scroll-Keeper, Keys to the Gems
And I don't trust Inno to tell him the truth.
Right? Because they've been so honest in the past!
Let us name some favorite excuses, shall we?
Our computers are too old.
We don't clear our cache often enough.
Oh! Our wifi connection is unstable.
What was it the gremlin goblin says? "Something is missing ... your internet connection" when it's their issue.
:rolleyes:

Gladiola

I don't know how their databases are structured. It's possible that there is a table that holds "rewards" and that in changing "tournament rewards" they overwrote some other values for "event rewards" with an alternative that they had considered but discarded. It doesn't seem very likely, but it's not impossible. We will find out soon enough.

We can only hope that Inno will not decide to introduce an innovative "league" system that rewards big spenders while at the same time making a change from the beta to live release that people feel disadvantages them. That would seem like poor planning, as it would leave a bad taste in players' mouths about the first event with this new feature.

Last edited:

Jackluyt

Platinum Leaf -FB
This is the pop-up news window in Beta today. It would appear from this that the decrease in SK from quests, quest milestones and log-in is a glitch, not a deliberate downgrading as has been suggested elsewhere.
This announcement originally appeared in Beta Forum's Changes to Tournaments thread, not the SK thread, with the explanation that somehow the game's re-programming for tournaments had caused this. That is not at all impossible; although I am not a programmer, I discussed this with one of the developers in Hamburg a while back. Different game modules sometimes use lines of programming code from elsewhere in the game - or even borrowed from other games! Game changes are most often made by patching new lines of code into the existing game version. This is by far the cheapest solution, because it requires a lot less programmers' time - though ideally it would be better to rewrite blocks of code rather than patch it.
As it was explained to me, when you patch code, you often come up against The Law of Unexpected Outcomes - another game module that uses some of that code suddenly goes dysfunctional - and that is the reason for quite a few of the game glitches that we see. The more patched a game becomes with time, the more likely something will go wrong.
This could explain how a glitch like this might come to be.

It will be interesting to see if the SK values in the Live version are the same as the ones we recorded in Beta.
:)

178366793_10219295401436432_7914463664912546630_n.jpg

Last edited:

The Unbeliever

The upcoming set building has my undivided attention. Any suggestions on daily buildings worth a look?
While I don't think any of the daily prize buildings themselves are all that great, I *WILL* be going after the giant Mimic, because no self respecting Dragon Quest fan would ever build a city that didn't feature deadly, man-eating treasure chests!;)

*insert casting Thwack here*

Deborah M

Oh Wise One
Can you get the entire set without participating in the league stuff? At first glance the set looks awesome. My hat is off for the art folks! I just have no interest in the league PvP

Lelanya

Scroll-Keeper, Keys to the Gems
Can you get the entire set without participating in the league stuff? At first glance the set looks awesome. My hat is off for the art folks! I just have no interest in the league PvP
I think so. I'm checking that shortly; feeding the Fire Phoenix in half an hour so it covers 17/70 & 18/71 tomorrow, I'll be looking in inventory and spending scrolls for Orc Stat instants afterwards.

Enevhar Aldarion

Oh Wise One

It requires the same number of grand prizes, 13, that maxing an evolving building without an FA does. So if you normally earn 9 artifacts during an event, you can get the whole set. Plus, the buildings in Silver and Gold are extras of buildings you will already have won. Those ranks are for people trying to make two or three complete sets. You have to spend a lot and finish in Silver for two complete sets and you have to spend more than a lot and finish in Gold for three complete sets.

Status
Not open for further replies.