• Dear forum visitor,

It looks as though you have not registered for a forum account, or are not signed in. In order to participate in current discussions or create new threads, you will need to register for a forum account by clicking on the link below.

Click here to register for a forum account!

If you already have a forum account, you can simply click on the 'Log in' button at the top right of your forum screen.

Your Elvenar Team

Interesting Psychological Dilemma

Sprite1313

Yes, I was kind of shocked when I saw one player tell new players multiple times in different situations not to post 3 star. It seemed bizarre that they would get upset about that. But then again, they probably would think it bizarre to see me getting upset about their getting upset, lol. Just when I think it's a matter of someone wanting to control others and their behaviors, then I have to look twice at myself if I try to control theirs, too. Sigh ... I have a habit of overthinking things and getting nowhere. :p
I recently had a small player posting three star trades. I just sent her a message and said that I would always be happy to take her trades, but it made me feel like I was stealing from her to take her trades. How can I, in good conscience, take her lopsided trades (she was asking for a quantity around 50, offering 75), when I am sitting on millions of goods? I would feel like I was taking advantage of an inexperienced player. Obviously, that's my own bias, but it is how I feel.

Alram

Flippers just flip
When I first read this, I didn't take time to absorb it. I just rejected it outright since I never "insist." But now that I think more about it, I realize that it's not whether I insist that matters. It's whether people perceive me as insisting when I object to THEIR objection to 3 star trades. Hmm ... that gives me food for thought. Thanks, Alram.
It sounds like everyone is trying really hard to be good to each other. :cool:

Darielle

Chef, Scroll-Keeper, and Buddy Fan Club Member
I recently had a small player posting three star trades. I just sent her a message and said that I would always be happy to take her trades, but it made me feel like I was stealing from her to take her trades. How can I, in good conscience, take her lopsided trades (she was asking for a quantity around 50, offering 75), when I am sitting on millions of goods? I would feel like I was taking advantage of an inexperienced player. Obviously, that's my own bias, but it is how I feel.
It opens up new perspectives all the way around when we see things from the other side. I can see your view better than I did when I started this thread. There's nothing wrong with telling someone how you feel about it; you were being honest. But I always felt very uncomfortable when people asked me to lower my three star trades so they can better help me. I really wanted to progress on my own merit, without undo advantage. I couldn't enjoy the game or feel proud of my success if I took advantage of their offers to "cheat," so I withstood the pressure and just said no, except when helping the team win another chest. Some people really insisted though, even when I wasn't doing a tourney or spire, and it was very awkward and unpleasant. It was like they were trying to take away my feeling of achievement. I guess this just goes to show that most people have no idea how the other side feels. I'm glad you and others have shared yours side of this. It enlightening to know that while one side can feel guilty at getting one star trades, the other side can feel the same guilt in taking three star. Thanks.

Lelanya

Scroll-Keeper, Keys to the Gems
Waaayyy back when, geez I guess it would be May of 16, we used to hold a 'tag sale' day. As we were on the International server, we had designated times where goods were 'on sale', and anything goes. Someone would post in chat, "ok marble going up now, grab marble if you need it, trades are up for 10 minutes ". It was very successful, and so much fun, but we had to vary days and times to keep our neighbors from grabbing too much at once.

FallingFox

Gee, I have a completely different trading style. I find the greatest benefit accrues from producing only boosted goods and trading for the non-boosted goods. Therefore, it makes sense to trade freely and fairly. Boosted goods gain such a huge advantage, trying to gain advantage from trading seems silly and only discourages others from trading. With that said, I use the three star trade when I am desperate for something and want others to take my goods quickly. So, I interpreted others using three star trades as having a need that I could help with by taking their trades. It is interesting to see that you use three star trades differently. I mostly use two star trades as a way of moving goods fairly, and people take them, I hope, on that basis. It seems to me that everyone has their own style, and trading fairly allows all to take what they need.

Michael3

Thank you, Darielle, and everyone else for this discussion. I find it very comforting to listen to a good intelectual discussion, especially when the ideas can be turned around to apply to actual real life. I appreciate all of you sharing your thoughts and view points in a calm thoughtful manner. I've been playing tis game for a few years, just building my village and making a few occasional friends on the side. It's a nice release from the lonly world I find myself in real life.
Peace and Love, Michael

Darielle

Thank you, Darielle, and everyone else for this discussion. I find it very comforting to listen to a good intelectual discussion, especially when the ideas can be turned around to apply to actual real life. I appreciate all of you sharing your thoughts and view points in a calm thoughtful manner. I've been playing tis game for a few years, just building my village and making a few occasional friends on the side. It's a nice release from the lonly world I find myself in real life.
Peace and Love, Michael
Elvenar is a great place to come together in peace and love, and most of the time, I think, we achieve it here on the forum. :)

Darielle

Waaayyy back when, geez I guess it would be May of 16, we used to hold a 'tag sale' day. As we were on the International server, we had designated times where goods were 'on sale', and anything goes. Someone would post in chat, "ok marble going up now, grab marble if you need it, trades are up for 10 minutes ". It was very successful, and so much fun, but we had to vary days and times to keep our neighbors from grabbing too much at once.
I love fire sales. That sounds like a great idea, and boy would the fellowship members love it! When I acquire millions of goods, I'm going to steal that idea.

I'm off today to go to a fire sale in real life. The library in the county seat has an annual 10 cent book sale ... including hard covers and best sellers. I get as many books from famous authors as I can carry in five bags, and pay less than the price of one book new. They usually last me almost the whole year, until the next sale. I always feel like a kid at Christmas every time it comes, lol.

Enjoy your day, Lelanya and everyone; I know I will. :)

Elf Emma

My thoughts . . . the being scolded would be off putting even if the intentions are to be helpful. Maybe that person doesn't realize and could use some help with wording their message so it doesn't come off as over-bearing?

quin629

I'd all but forgotten - when I was a brand new player the mage in my FS offered repeatedly to take 1-star & 0-star trades for the newbies, and the others all took advantage of it. The amounts seemed huge to me at the time but were probably small in reality. I politely refused several times, and finally had to phrase it as a toddler with a temper tantrum: "No! Don' wanna! I tie mine shoes mine own self! Don' care if they're on the wrong feet. Do it my SELF!" with much foot-stamping. Everybody laughed but they got the point. Part of the enjoyment of the game, for me, was that personal accomplishment.

Now, that was back in the dark ages when it was pretty much just city building. That FS didn't participate in tournaments. The imbalances were not a real problem; lack of goods only slowed down my progression through those first few chapters. Fast forward to today where I recently started a city in a new world with several years' worth of gaming knowledge behind me now. Talked my way into a FS that was starting to hit gold when I was only chapter 1 on the grounds that as soon as I hit chapter 3 I'd top the spire for them too. They fed me goods to get me into chapter 3 so fast it made my head spin but I cheerfully accepted them because I understood what was at stake: they needed those 63 Spire points and I was able to deliver as soon as I could open the Spire. So I see both sides of the argument in terms of taking or not taking 3-star / 0-stars.

But to the OP's original point - no one should insist that someone play in a fashion that they do not wish to unless it is a requirement for the FS. If it is, the a player who does not wish to comply should leave at once and find a group without such a rule. "You have to let me help you in this specific manner" is, at best, highly passive-aggressive.

Darielle

I'd all but forgotten - when I was a brand new player the mage in my FS offered repeatedly to take 1-star & 0-star trades for the newbies, and the others all took advantage of it. The amounts seemed huge to me at the time but were probably small in reality. I politely refused several times, and finally had to phrase it as a toddler with a temper tantrum: "No! Don' wanna! I tie mine shoes mine own self! Don' care if they're on the wrong feet. Do it my SELF!" with much foot-stamping. Everybody laughed but they got the point. Part of the enjoyment of the game, for me, was that personal accomplishment.

Now, that was back in the dark ages when it was pretty much just city building. That FS didn't participate in tournaments. The imbalances were not a real problem; lack of goods only slowed down my progression through those first few chapters. Fast forward to today where I recently started a city in a new world with several years' worth of gaming knowledge behind me now. Talked my way into a FS that was starting to hit gold when I was only chapter 1 on the grounds that as soon as I hit chapter 3 I'd top the spire for them too. They fed me goods to get me into chapter 3 so fast it made my head spin but I cheerfully accepted them because I understood what was at stake: they needed those 63 Spire points and I was able to deliver as soon as I could open the Spire. So I see both sides of the argument in terms of taking or not taking 3-star / 0-stars.

But to the OP's original point - no one should insist that someone play in a fashion that they do not wish to unless it is a requirement for the FS. If it is, the a player who does not wish to comply should leave at once and find a group without such a rule. "You have to let me help you in this specific manner" is, at best, highly passive-aggressive.

You sound just like me, lol. I couldn't have put it better.

Darielle

I think what I've learned from this thread is that every side has a point, and everyone has to do what suits them best. If someone insists on no 3-star trades, just say "I respect your style, but it isn't mine. To each his own!" If it's the AM, of course, then find another fellowship. If it's a member, just let them play their game their way and play yours your way, for peace's sake. If they won't take trades, that's their loss ... someone is out there who will take 3 star trades, and usually very quickly.

Elvenar is meant to be a peaceful haven. I think in the future I'm going to try not to let myself get upset by this. If they bully a new member, I'll probably just PM that new member and tell them to play however they want, and not worry about so-and-so's rule. Problem solved.

I do tend to worry about things too much, until people make me see sense. Thank you all for doing that.

MaidenFair

Chef - Head Philologist
This is not directed at anybody, it's just me thinking through the topic. :) When I started playing, I saw the trader, thought "Oh, an economy!" and offered a few one-star trades at a very minor profit, thinking that I could just build up goods a little faster that way. After all, that's how the real world works...if you're just breaking even, you're not making any money and you won't be able to stay in business. And if somebody has a 700% boost, then me asking for a 2% profit still leaves them with a 698% profit on their own production, so that seemed acceptable. After reading on the forums how profit-making was abhorred by so many players, I put my head down and just offered 2-star trades from then on. I've gotten used to that concept because this isn't a real economy and everyone's got boosted goods at varying levels, so I'm fine with that now. However, when I see that new players are often encouraged to take 3-star trades to boost their goods levels, I have wondered "Then what's the big deal about someone posting a 0- or 1-star trade? It's the exact same amount of goods exchanging hands!" Reading this thread made me understand that I guess it comes down to the feelings of both sides, and a large player feels like they're being taken advantage of if a small player posts a 0-star trade, while they just feel generous when they offer the same player a 3-star trade. I do think this perhaps robs the new player of the pleasant feeling that they can be self-sufficient and encourages them to think they must rely on the large players to get started, but I can understand that perhaps the feeling of being taken advantage of is a worse negative than that.

Regarding the 3-star trades specifically: I've been mostly trading in larger amounts than my chapter peers since fairly early, since I'm a caterer. Therefore, I'm usually trading with higher-chapter players. I am, however, only in mid-chapter 7, so my trades are still small to most advanced players, and I suppose some players would feel like they were stealing if they took a 3-star trade from me. I personally offer three star trades either a) when I need the goods quickly/desperately, in which case someone taking it is doing me a huge favour, or b) because I've got plenty of goods and I'm feeling generous, in which case someone refusing it (not just not needing it, but actually refusing to take my 3-star trades) hits me like saying, "Your generosity isn't good enough", which hurts.

I appreciate you trying to understand both sides of the issue, @Darielle . People clearly have strong feelings on both sides of the topic, and it's good to be able to discuss the 'whys' instead of just the 'but-why-nots?!'. Thanks for doing your part to promote understanding on both sides. :cool:

Darielle

This is not directed at anybody, it's just me thinking through the topic. :) When I started playing, I saw the trader, thought "Oh, an economy!" and offered a few one-star trades at a very minor profit, thinking that I could just build up goods a little faster that way. After all, that's how the real world works...if you're just breaking even, you're not making any money and you won't be able to stay in business. And if somebody has a 700% boost, then me asking for a 2% profit still leaves them with a 698% profit on their own production, so that seemed acceptable. After reading on the forums how profit-making was abhorred by so many players, I put my head down and just offered 2-star trades from then on. I've gotten used to that concept because this isn't a real economy and everyone's got boosted goods at varying levels, so I'm fine with that now. However, when I see that new players are often encouraged to take 3-star trades to boost their goods levels, I have wondered "Then what's the big deal about someone posting a 0- or 1-star trade? It's the exact same amount of goods exchanging hands!" Reading this thread made me understand that I guess it comes down to the feelings of both sides, and a large player feels like they're being taken advantage of if a small player posts a 0-star trade, while they just feel generous when they offer the same player a 3-star trade. I do think this perhaps robs the new player of the pleasant feeling that they can be self-sufficient and encourages them to think they must rely on the large players to get started, but I can understand that perhaps the feeling of being taken advantage of is a worse negative than that.

Regarding the 3-star trades specifically: I've been mostly trading in larger amounts than my chapter peers since fairly early, since I'm a caterer. Therefore, I'm usually trading with higher-chapter players. I am, however, only in mid-chapter 7, so my trades are still small to most advanced players, and I suppose some players would feel like they were stealing if they took a 3-star trade from me. I personally offer three star trades either a) when I need the goods quickly/desperately, in which case someone taking it is doing me a huge favour, or b) because I've got plenty of goods and I'm feeling generous, in which case someone refusing it (not just not needing it, but actually refusing to take my 3-star trades) hits me like saying, "Your generosity isn't good enough", which hurts.

I appreciate you trying to understand both sides of the issue, @Darielle . People clearly have strong feelings on both sides of the topic, and it's good to be able to discuss the 'whys' instead of just the 'but-why-nots?!'. Thanks for doing your part to promote understanding on both sides. :cool:
And thank you for contributing a valuable POV to the discussion. :)

Clusseau

One view that doesnt seem explicit in replies so far;
Perhaps the person against 3-star trades is simply a poor communicator?

They mean to tell someone that offering such premiums is not necessary,
and they are possibly frustrated that the person giving away their goods does not seem to understand?

Regardless of that, one thing that eases my mind is that the only reason people post trades is because they want them taken.
People should be free to post 0 or 3 star trades, as they wish. If people are taking them, who could tell them not to post??
The only 'real' issue would be if they're not being taken, (= cluttering the board).

On occasion I'll message folks; If they need a large amount of anything, pls let me know.
(and-) have found that additional words or worry are of scarce benefit.

DeletedUser27062

That's how I've always felt. Even when I was new, people would offer to do bad trades for me (bad for them, I mean), and I refused because I didn't want to jump ahead like that. It made me feel bad.

The key word here is "push." Offering is great and kindly. Pushing or ordering is not. You've got it right here on your scenario.

Reading this thread has been interesting. People refer to receiving help as "cheating" or "jumping ahead".

The implication is the same - that there's an ethical issue with accepting an advantage not given to everyone. So, if such acts are viewed negatively why is offering to give the advantage seen as 'good & kindly'?

I'm wondering if it's another one of the weird humaning things like asking people how they are but not really wanting an honest answer. Or the way we never speak ill of the dead even though their feelings can't be hurt yet the living are fair game.

crackie

Chef, Scroll-Keeper, Buddy's #1 Fan
The only 'real' issue would be if they're not being taken, (= cluttering the board)
Yeah, maybe they should make us see our own trades at the top of the listings so those that choose to make diarrhea runs with pages worth of 0 and 1-star trades that sits for a week will have to shift through their own mess with the rest of us. Nobody's saying they can't do it, but they now have to wallow in their own mire of utter crap that nobody wants either.

ajqtrz

Chef - loquacious Old Dog
I agree with almost everything in this thread. My take is simple. Every trade offered is the trade that person wishes to make. They may wish to make it because the system tells them the two goods are of equal value, they may wish to offer it because, at the current time they have a big need for something and are willing to pay more or less for i what their star rating, are what the traders want to do because they, at that time, feel it's in their best interest to do it. It may give them something they couldn't get any other way or at least any cheaper way, including the intangibles of feeling like they are smart, a good player, a good person or whatever. I don't begrudge anybody any trade, even when it appears to me they might be "gouging" other players. I can always ignore what I don't like.

The moral problem occurs when we mistake our irritations for moral stances. I label a certain trade as "gouging." "Gouging is bad, therefore the one offering it must be bad. I won't trade with him and I'll do all I can to insure nobody else does until he changes his ways!" This line of thinking is common with anybody, in any situation, who doesn't agree and do what you expect. And it's just as bad when you judge yourself in the same manner. You are afraid to offer 3 star trades because you might be "taken advantage of" and thus feel you were weak or stupid to have put up the trades in the first place. You accept zero star trades, but only from those who you know because, again, somebody who doesn't deserve to profit at your expense, might be profiting. The scenarios of judgement -- yourself and/or others -- are almost without limits. The key, therefore, is to refrain from judging altogether.

Here's my approach. I take all the trades I can and all my trades are at a 5% markup, minimum. I usually clear the board once a day (just under 400 discovered cities) because I get a lot of satisfaction from doing so. In other words, my goods are worth 95% of yours because I get 5% of the value in my intangible. I feel good about being able to do that and good about myself for doing so. I ignore any irritations. How I do that is in the next paragraph.

Second, when I do get irritated I think about the possible reasons for the trade's I'm seeing. One player near me consistently puts up 0 star trades. Every day, sometimes dozen. Everyone else, seeing that, might think he's trying to gouge, right? On the other hand, had they been privy to a conversation between he and I when we became neighbors, they might not be so judgemental. In that conversation I promised him I'd pick up all those zero star trades until he reached a certain size. Those trades aren't gouging or selfish, they are part of a contract I made with him! And that is the secret. When ever you come across anything that irritates you about trading, just consider you don't know the whole story. Yes, there are "gougers" but just because a person puts up a bunch of 0 star trades, day after day, doesn't mean they are one. There are many, many other reasons one might do so. At one point we were trading large amounts of silk with another fellowship. One of us would put up huge 0 star trades and the other would take them. Then we reversed and they got their goods at the same rate. The trader board doesn't tell you who is going to pick up the trade. It might be an arranged trade with a larger fellowship member. Or a friend. Or whatever. The thing is, if you are going to accuse somebody of being something moral, at least make sure you have all the facts. Almost all the time, I've found, when I feel irritated at anothers "bad" behavior, I just don't know the whole story.

Finally, on bullying. When you write rules for you fs, include them in you page, and enforce them, that's not bullying. Even if you kick somebody for "disobeying" the rules. They are dishonoring their commitments and every group has the right to disqualify their members based upon the agreement they made when they joined...unless they were forced to join, of course.

On the other hand, it is definitely bullying when you insist somebody trade your way and then follow it up with "acts of intimidation and threats of coercion." Like saying you aren't going to take their trades and are going to tell all the people you can not do do so either. In this you are trying to force your will on somebody else through "intimidation and threats of coercion." I've seen attempts to bully here and have pointed it out when I see it. The same logic applies. If you can't convince someone of your point of view and he/she insists he/she is right, you don't gather all the people in your group you can to exclude him/her from the group. That's an attempt to ostracize, a form of social bullying. And you don't continue to make snide comments about the posts he/she makes even though you "didn't read" them. And you don't, privately spread rumors, make negative claims you can't substantiate, or otherwise attempt to put down his/her reputation. All of those are a bit childish and a mild form of attempting to bully the person. Don't participate or support such behaviors. Don't do it because how can we ever stop bullying in the world when we won't take a stand against it in our own playground?

Anyway, I too liked this discussion as it was civil and carefully thought out for the most point.

AJ