• Dear forum visitor,

It looks as though you have not registered for a forum account, or are not signed in. In order to participate in current discussions or create new threads, you will need to register for a forum account by clicking on the link below.

Click here to register for a forum account!

If you already have a forum account, you can simply click on the 'Log in' button at the top right of your forum screen.

Your Elvenar Team

Interesting Psychological Dilemma

So how would you handle the dilemma faced by the OP?
Depends. If she entered into a fellowship knowing 3 star trades were frowned upon or should not be posted I would either follow what the FS sets forth or find a different fellowship or start my own fellowship. It all depends on the individual and what they can live with or not. For me, the fun level I have with a game is the most important. I also don't think there is only one answer to the OP's dilemma.

Alram

Flippers just flip
Depends. If she entered into a fellowship knowing 3 star trades were frowned upon or should not be posted I would either follow what the FS sets forth or find a different fellowship or start my own fellowship. It all depends on the individual and what they can live with or not. For me, the fun level I have with a game is the most important. I also don't think there is only one answer to the OP's dilemma.
I do think you missed the part where a newer player with limited resources wants to offer 3 star trades and an established player sitting on millions of goods refuses to take those trades, preferring any other trades(0,1,2).

I do think you missed the part where a newer player with limited resources wants to offer 3 star trades and an established player sitting on millions of goods refuses to take those trades, preferring any other trades(0,1,2).
No, did not miss it. If that is what the newer player feels like doing and or posting, then so be it. Again, everyone should be free to post what they want unless joining a fellowship that has rules regarding trades. Fair and or unfair is in the perception of the player that takes or posts trades.

Iyapo1

I have never seen a FS that prohibits 3 star trades. I am sure one exists but I have not seen it. I have seen Fellowships that actively encourage 3 star trades from all members which is, imo, a nasty thing to do to new players.

Alram

Flippers just flip
We still have a choice. No one can force you to do anything unless you let them. If it takes my "Happy" I go elsewhere or create my own.
No one is forcing anyone. The newer player is being generous and the established player is being generous. Where is the middle ground between these shipmates? By all means, go find your own happy.

No one is forcing anyone. The newer player is being generous and the established player is being generous. Where is the middle ground between these shipmates? By all means, go find your own happy.
well, we are talking about someone coming across as a bully in regards to trading even though this is supposed to be a helping situation. The minute the bullying or coercing comes in to play or some feeling guilty or bad, the feel good factor is gone. Two players wanting to do good end up feeling bad. Where is the win in that. So I say let it be and do what you want to do. Meaning let the new player do what they want and you do what you want. There is no middle ground unless you and the other player can talk it out privately. It's all in your choices.
Oh, by the way...I found my happy a long time ago. ;) :)

Darielle

Chef, Scroll-Keeper, and Buddy Fan Club Member
The dilemma, as I've parsed and understood it, is when the free will of players come into conflict with the goodwill and generosity of others. How does one find that balance and how does one detect it before things turn into rowdy bar brawls and hospital therapist visits?

This thread has been rather thought provoking. I may need to reread it just to make sure I didn't miss or forget things. Thanks, @Darielle for starting this. Also, do correct me if I'm wrong I feel like I'm very wrong but this needs posting nao. Mistakes now, fixes later!
Thank you, Zoof. I have had a change of heart back and forth several times since this thread started. I came into it thinking that the big players who insist on "no three stars" were just bullies, and while I still believe they should not push their views, I have now started to understand and sympathize with their feelings. They come from a position of wanting to help the team, and that is not a bad position to have. Most of them are completely unaware that some people cannot enjoy a game with what they perceive as cheats (whether they are such or not). Perhaps it's simply a matter of not expressing themselves clearly. The small player doesn't like to be bullied into a trade that will turn them off on the game, while the bigger player has no idea that they are turning a player off to the game. They're just trying to help.

Yes, Zoof, I think you're right ... it's just a matter of misplaced goodwill and interfering with the rights of others without ever intending to do so. And some lower level players actually like when someone insists ... they don't want to feel as if they're taking advantage while they want the trades. But they sometimes start to rely too heavily on them when it isn't necessary.

In other words ... actually in your words ... how does one find that balance? I think in a perfect world, and only my opinion again, big players would say something like, "I offer zero star trades to players in chapters 1-4 to help them grow, which actually helps all of us grow as a fellowship. If you need them for tournament/spire goals, please ask. You'll be helping yourself and us, too. On the other hand, I know that some people look on zero and one star trades as a crutch, and would rather get through these early chapters without one. Some players prefer "fair" trades. Some even enjoy doing three star, to help neighbors or to clear trades quickly. We are all different and play differently. I respect your choices and I'll take all of your trades no matter how many stars they are."

Of course, when does anyone ever find a perfect world? lol. But this is how I operate on my higher ID, and this is how I would love to be treated on my lower ID. Some people just can't do this, because they think their own viewpoint is the most helpful, and don't understand why others refuse to comply. They resent others for not doing everything to help the team in taking generous trades. The lower level players resent the bigger ones for pushing them into something they don't want to do. They don't like what they perceive as cheating and will feel as if they haven't really "won" when they do accomplish something, and may even lose interest. A lot of resentment and bad feeling generates on both sides, which in the end harms the fellowship far more than merely taking/not taking trades does. It's a real psychological dilemma, for sure.

Darielle

well, we are talking about someone coming across as a bully in regards to trading even though this is supposed to be a helping situation. The minute the bullying or coercing comes in to play or some feeling guilty or bad, the feel good factor is gone. Two players wanting to do good end up feeling bad. Where is the win in that. So I say let it be and do what you want to do. Meaning let the new player do what they want and you do what you want. There is no middle ground unless you and the other player can talk it out privately. It's all in your choices.
Oh, by the way...I found my happy a long time ago. ;) :)
Exactly!

Darielle

I have never seen a FS that prohibits 3 star trades. I am sure one exists but I have not seen it. I have seen Fellowships that actively encourage 3 star trades from all members which is, imo, a nasty thing to do to new players.
Nor have I seen one. As a player who enjoys doing 3 star trades and always has, I would never enter a fellowship that frowned on three star. I have avoided fellowships that frowned on cross tiers as well, because I occasionally (rarely) do those, at 3 star. Even though it's not often, I still wouldn't clash with any rules of a fellowship. It's their way or it's the highway (for me) because I know up front what I'm getting into, and I adapt to them, not the other way around. So yes, I join groups whose rules align with my style.

I've seen a fellowship that actively encouraged three star, but I was already in a different fellowship so didn't join. I agree that such is very difficult for new players, although I've done it. But, I'm actually glad to see all different kinds of fellowships out there, including that one, because I do think we need a wide range of styles to make everyone happy. As the saying goes, different strokes for different folks. :)

Alram

Flippers just flip
So it all comes down talking? Saying out loud that I won't take or place certain trades is bullying and coercion? :cool:

Last edited:

crackie

Chef, Scroll-Keeper, Buddy's #1 Fan
The Elvenar world is big enough to support all types of playing styles and most of this just sounds like a bad fit. If the archmages are being too pushy for your liking, then let them be and find a more relaxed archmage to play for. You're only bullied if you let yourself be bullied. How the heck is someone else's inventory going to end up in yours unless you make the decision to accept it or not? It's almost as if the power is completely in the player's hands! Newsflash: No archmage owns you and you're free to come and go as you please! The players are always the ones in the driver's seat as there will always be more FS looking for players than there are players looking for FS. And if you're the archmage thinking their refusal of your generosity equates to them being a bad team player, then go ahead and load up the trebuchet! Or are you hesitating to pull the trigger because you know how much recruiting sucks so you find it easier to bend someone to your will against theirs? Sounds to me like you're scared and/or lazy, not really anyone all that powerful just because you wear a captain's hat. If you can't find a FS in your server, go try another server. If you can't find a FS in the U.S. market, go try a different market. You won't feel threatened at all if you don't understand what language the archmage is typing :cool:

MaidenFair

Chef - Head Philologist
So it all comes down talking? Saying out loud that I won't take or place certain trades is bullying and coercion? :cool:
I think it depends on how you phrase it. If you say "I'm not taking your trades because you're a low-level player and you shouldn't be posting those"...I wouldn't go so far as to call it bullying but it is enforcing your play style by making the other player feel bad, and perhaps even guilty, about what they're doing (which is not actually a *wrong* thing for them to do, just not what you prefer). However, if you phrase it as "I'm sorry, but I can't bring myself to take your trades because it feels like stealing when I have so much and I know you can't have very much yet" then, whether the other player likes it or not, it's phrased in terms of what you feel comfortable doing, rather than what they should feel comfortable doing. Does that make sense? (early morning brain!)

Iyapo1

which is not actually a *wrong* thing for them to do, just not what you prefer
What if I actually think it is a damaging thing? Can I say it? Three star traders undercut the market to get their trades picked up first in the name of generosity. Such trading practices have a devastating impact on smaller players when there is a server shortage and having experienced this first hand I take 2 star same tier trades first....always. Other players will happily take the three star trades, I will only take them if I still have trade goods after clearing all the two star trades.

Alram

Flippers just flip
What if I actually think it is a damaging thing? Can I say it? Three star traders undercut the market to get their trades picked up first in the name of generosity. Such trading practices have a devastating impact on smaller players when there is a server shortage and having experienced this first hand I take 2 star same tier trades first....always. Other players will happily take the three star trades, I will only take them if I still have trade goods after clearing all the two star trades.
You must stop this bullying, coercing, enforcing talking. It's just not right. ;)

BrinDarby

Some players prefer "fair" trades.
Ya lost me here, 'cause 1 thing I keep hearing here is
"how someone says something" being the problem.....
Yet that quote perpetuates the stigma of a subjective
decision being placed on a static fact....
there is 0*, 1*, 2*, and 3*
there is expensive, even, and cheap offers....
there is Not a fair/unfair trade, thats subjective to
each person differently......

I only ask please,
can we cut this term outta the lexicon and discussion??

Darielle

Ya lost me here, 'cause 1 thing I keep hearing here is
"how someone says something" being the problem.....
Yet that quote perpetuates the stigma of a subjective
decision being placed on a static fact....
there is 0*, 1*, 2*, and 3*
there is expensive, even, and cheap offers....
there is Not a fair/unfair trade, thats subjective to
each person differently......

I only ask please,
can we cut this term outta the lexicon and discussion??
I will concede that I have a different mindset than you do, and that my mindset is not the only valid one. Every time I come to this thread, I have to rethink my own biases, whether or not I reaffirm them or cast them aside. For that reminder, I thank you.

Darielle

What I said to Brin I have to say again to you. I am learning so much about my own biases here, and whether I wish to affirm them or reject them. You and Brin and many others are opening my eyes to different things ... whether I agree with them or not, and whether I change my mind or not. It's always a good thing to examine (and reexamine, repeatedly) our own biases.