• Dear forum visitor,

It looks as though you have not registered for a forum account, or are not signed in. In order to participate in current discussions or create new threads, you will need to register for a forum account by clicking on the link below.

Click here to register for a forum account!

If you already have a forum account, you can simply click on the 'Log in' button at the top right of your forum screen.

Your Elvenar Team

Ancient Wonder Improvement Idea

Lord Syer

Over the years as an AM, I've heard many players complain that they wish they had enough room to build all the AWs. I've also heard many express the wish that the perimeter of their city could look more magnificent with the addition of each AW they build--not just those early few. As more chapters are introduced, lack of space becomes an increasing concern--for both players and the developers. I'd like to propose a solution for all of the above:

Instead of building AWs in the game grids, have pre-designated plots in the outskirts (like you already have for Mountain Halls, Prosperity Towers, Crystal Lighthouse, etc.) and build the AWs there--not within the grid. This will allow players to build all of the AWs (thus fully taking advantage of the developers hard work) and still have space to play the game, while beautifying our cities even more! Players would interact with and upgrade their AWs there and through the existing AWs menu. This would continuously make our cities more magnificent looking with each AW built, and solve the expansion issues (running out of space on the grid for future chapters) by freeing up space on the grid. There is plenty of room on the perimeter for AWs to be "carved into" the existing mountains, valleys, and landscape. There is still an enormous challenge leveling them up after you've unlocked them in the tech tree and saved enough runes to build them.

I personally would love to build them all and see the devs hard work in creating them rewarded. Players would still need to prioritize them when choosing how to level them with limited resources, KPs, etc. But this solves a huge space issue for all parties; helping the devs maintain space for future chapters' requirements. It also rewards them and players with a more magnificent looking city and the hard-earned advantages gained by building the AWs. Otherwise, many of these AWs are simply empty stops on the tech tree. Thoughts?

crackie

Chef, Scroll-Keeper, Buddy's #1 Fan
I don’t think they planned the difficulty around us building all the wonders though. That would greatly increase the cost of doing tourney and Spire. Space is the premium item in the game. Using it efficiently is a big part of the game’s challenge. Likewise, part of city Tetris is the inability to rotate buildings. You gotta figure out how to work around it to squeeze everything into your plots. Otherwise, we’d all have developer cities like in the videos with ample space of 80 unused plots to give every residence a yard, pool, picket fence, 2.5 kids, and a dog.

Palavyn

Overall, it's a good idea. However, there are several wonders that produce goods. If all such goods were transferred for collection through the Main Hall, I would be 100% in favor. Otherwise, if I have to drag the map to collect from the perimeter it's a big no from me. Having to do that with event ground spawns is annoying enough.

helya

Beloved Ex-Team Member
Not to be the destroyer of hopes and dreams here, but the devs have stated that they want players to choose the Wonders they use carefully, so I don't think making it easy to place all of them would fit in their plan.

helya

Beloved Ex-Team Member
Soooo.... you're saying I can't have a llama? :(
Fine, just this once. Don't ruin my reputation
1645411366924.png

Lord Syer

I understand your point of view, but I believe that the challenge of how to best use space will never disappear, nor will moving the AWs to the peripheral nerf the game's challenges. It is clear that in future chapters, we will run out of space on the existing game map. Does the game simply end then? This could easily be incorporated into the research tree and phased implementation by chapter. For example, in the next new chapter, there could be two new research items--one each to "carve" two early-chapter AWs into the mountainside/cliffs/valley (wherever). This would dovetail nicely with unlocking two new expansions per chapter. The difficulty of the game would proportionately INCREASE not decrease, as players would be forced to prioritize resources, KPs, etc. to strategically choose where to invest in AW upgrades. You simply wouldn't have enough resources to upgrade them all. It would put increased pressure and difficulty on resource management, while space constraints would remain roughly constant.

Gkyr

Chef
My advice is to get there and then evaluate that situation, @Lord Syer . Game suggestions based on players' concrete experiences is taken very strongly; anticipation, not so strongly, I have observed.
For the record, I am trying to practice the above preach.

Alram

Flippers just flip
And THAT should be fixed ASAP!

I used the browser version once...just once! to see what all the hoopla was about the cliff face design; so jealous now!
I just don't see mobile being able to have whole AWs out in the wilderness when we can't even have a bit of art.
I am much more jealous of manual fighting and being able to see terrain. :cool:

Mykan

Oh Wise One
I understand your point of view, but I believe that the challenge of how to best use space will never disappear, nor will moving the AWs to the peripheral nerf the game's challenges. It is clear that in future chapters, we will run out of space on the existing game map. Does the game simply end then? This could easily be incorporated into the research tree and phased implementation by chapter. For example, in the next new chapter, there could be two new research items--one each to "carve" two early-chapter AWs into the mountainside/cliffs/valley (wherever). This would dovetail nicely with unlocking two new expansions per chapter. The difficulty of the game would proportionately INCREASE not decrease, as players would be forced to prioritize resources, KPs, etc. to strategically choose where to invest in AW upgrades. You simply wouldn't have enough resources to upgrade them all. It would put increased pressure and difficulty on resource management, while space constraints would remain roughly constant.

I am unsure we are playing the same game, from my experience (and visting other high evel towns) space gets much easier as the game goes on, not harder. It is its hardest in the early chapters, it only only improves from there. There is plenty of room to build all the wonders if you so desire, but be warned it will hurt other parts of your game. This fits in with the devs idea of people choosing their wonders carefuly, as Helya mentioned above.

If you look at a lot of higher level towns they have a lot of buildings they just don't need. I easily have 5-10 factories and the infrastructure to support it that I just don't need. Towns have the space so they fill it up with all sorts of things. If AW's is your priortiy then fill it up with those and not the factories, armouries, culture, evolving building or FA buildings etc that are common filliers. As an example of space one of our fellowship members turne their excess space into a wonderful unicorn race (6-8 expansions dedicated to this). It was awesome fun watching the unicorns charge along the course. Personally far more useful and exciting than certain wonders ;)

Also before someone says you have to be premium to have enough space:
  1. Reach chapter 3 and learn about the spire and crafting
  2. Explore on the world map to max out your expansions