• Dear forum visitor,

It looks as though you have not registered for a forum account, or are not signed in. In order to participate in current discussions or create new threads, you will need to register for a forum account by clicking on the link below.

Click here to register for a forum account!

If you already have a forum account, you can simply click on the 'Log in' button at the top right of your forum screen.

Your Elvenar Team

Chapter after Halflings?

DeletedUser1036

Sooner or later everything will be changing to HTML5 to get away from Flash in this game anyway, just as the dev's like to say "wait for it or soon" :rolleyes:

Ashrem

Oh Wise One
Sooner or later everything will be changing to HTML5 to get away from Flash in this game anyway, just as the dev's like to say "wait for it or soon" :rolleyes:
I think that's one of the reasons that the app was so important. They need to develop a new code base, and getting the HTML5 code tested extensively is probably why they are pushing so many updates for the app so quickly. My guess is that there's very little development going on for the browser version at the moment (other than serious bug fixes) because they need to migrate the game off Flash fast. It's only a few months until some browsers will stop allowing flash unless they can get the end users to install a special extended support version of the browser, which will probably not be easy for the player-base. By late this year, anyone using Firefox or Chrome will have to enable flash every time they launch the browser, as it will stop remembering Flash permissions between sessions. That will be frustrating for a lot of people.

I feel certain that the majority of their development energy is devoted to the HTML5 version, and we'll see only a little work on the browser, other than art changes, until it is ready to switch over.

That also implies that any of their programmers who aren't already familiar with HTML5 are either spending some time going through training, or are (or will soon be) let go, and new people have to be hired to replace them. The only ones that can really be going full-tilt are the designers and artists.

WolfSinger

I've got my city set-up for Chapter 12 and it looks like I'm using 18 expansions for the guest race buildings. 1 Portal / 8 canals / 3 eac manifestations of fire and air / 4 water / 5 earth (which is the listed full settlement requirements on GoK)

ekarat

I've had to keep the graphics on low since orcs to not get lags and freezes on a yr old mid grade hp and if I try to visit anyone at woodelves+ with the graphics on high it just kicks me out of the game and reloads so I would say it's probably a valid claim. If they want to add rows they need to add a graphics setting lower than low. LOL

As a programmer, I want to make it clear that size of grid and level of detail in the city are two completely different factors. A large grid that is mostly empty need not be that difficult to render. Remember, a day 1 player has the same grid size as someone on orcs, so if visiting a day 1 player isn't too slow, the size of the grid isn't the issue -- it's level of detail, which can be affected by turning down the graphics.

That said, the size of the grid can affect memory usage, so it's not necessarily irrelevant either.

DeletedUser5800

As a programmer, I want to make it clear that size of grid and level of detail in the city are two completely different factors
Obviously, but one allows for more of the other. More space will inevitably equal more buildings/animations to be rendered. They can expand the 'grid' all they want so long as no one can use the space... but the way they have done it now people have expansions setting they can't use so unless they steal those back, people will use the space. o_O

ekarat

Obviously, but one allows for more of the other. More space will inevitably equal more buildings/animations to be rendered. They can expand the 'grid' all they want so long as no one can use the space... but the way they have done it now people have expansions setting they can't use so unless they steal those back, people will use the space. o_O

Honest question (since I don't know): Do a significant number of people have more expansions than grid squares to place them?

If a limited grid is all that's preventing crashes when visiting those players, then there are bigger problems than I realized, and of course they can't increase the number of expansions you get from conquering provinces either.

DeletedUser5800

Do a significant number of people have more expansions than grid squares to place them?

If a limited grid is all that's preventing crashes when visiting those players, then there are bigger problems than I realized

Being that I have the same limited data as anyone else I have no idea how many, just that it is some. I also don't know where the 'crash line' is.
My point just was that I wouldn't call outright bull on the notion that the crash line is to close to expand and add expansions as they have indicated based on my limited data, and furthermore that if it is that close, people already holding expansions would be a problem with adding space even without expansions. ;)

DeletedUser3507

I think yes I have been maxed on city size for 5 months and have 4 expansion eared that can't be placed.

ekarat

Being that I have the same limited data as anyone else I have no idea how many, just that it is some. I also don't know where the 'crash line' is.
My point just was that I wouldn't call outright bull on the notion that the crash line is to close to expand and add expansions as they have indicated based on my limited data, and furthermore that if it is that close, people already holding expansions would be a problem with adding space even without expansions. ;)

I still find all this very unlikely unless I have a direct dev quote that says that this is precisely the situation. Being unable to add expansions because that would cause slowdowns is not the same thing as being unable to add grid squares because that will (hypothetically) cause slowdowns, as the former is more obviously a cause of slowdowns than the latter. I am skeptical that the reason for the small grid is to prevent players from placing the expansions they have, though it is possible and I cannot disprove that.

DeletedUser5800

I am skeptical that the reason for the small grid is to prevent players from placing the expansions they have, though it is possible and I cannot disprove that.
That's all I was saying. I perhaps just find it slightly more possible. :)