• Dear forum visitor,

It looks as though you have not registered for a forum account, or are not signed in. In order to participate in current discussions or create new threads, you will need to register for a forum account by clicking on the link below.

Click here to register for a forum account!

If you already have a forum account, you can simply click on the 'Log in' button at the top right of your forum screen.

Your Elvenar Team

Dreaming about an expiring negotiation boost building

Enevhar Aldarion

Oh Wise One
I dont understand this sentiment.
Because fighters can use it too, it has no value or benifit?

I think he means when competing for position in the tournament, which some people do, as you win extra ranking points when you finish in the top 100. If a caterer and a fighter are otherwise equal, this type of building will give the fighter just a little bit extra edge, because they can cater if their troops run low, but a caterer cannot fight, since they won't have the military buildings or troops to use when goods get low.

Deleted User - 1178646

It has a benefit, but it can in no way close the gap between someone who stubbornly only negotiates and someone who uses all tools aviable, may that be fighting, negotiating or both.

@SoggyShorts hit the nail on the head when he said:
It's just logical.
Every single fighter city makes goods too, it would be a total freak unicorn who made only exactly enough goods for techs and not a single plank more usable for negotiation.

There is no such thing as a fighting city or a negotiating city. you do not choose a path in the research tree where you'll be either a fighter or a negotiator.
We are all both, if you refuse to embrace 1 side but not the other thats a choice you make. and a limitation you put on your game.
The best results will always be a combination of both.

Fight where you can, negotiate where you can't or have a hard time.
So if you add a building to benefit 1 of the 2 styles it becomes by default a tool in the arsenal of players who combine both styles.

If you limit yourself to 1 style you pay the price for that limitation, but nobody forces you, therefore it can never close "the gap" as there is no gap.
It's something some of you create artificially.

SoggyShorts

Mathematician par Excellence
Nectar said she wants this building so that caterers can catch up to fighters and make the balance fairer, but since it would help both players it will not accomplish that goal.
If I make $20/h and you make $40/h giving us each a 5% raise won't bring our salaries closer.

Last edited:

samidodamage

Buddy Fan Club member
I'm glad this thread is still alive. I'd like to see this idea develop into a formal 'suggestion' adhering to the requirements to get something in front of the devs via the Ideas/Suggestions forum here. I'd like to see this building added, even though I consider myself a 'combat only' player. I agree it will not help caterers 'catch up' even a little bit with fighters, but that doesn't mean the building has no value.
To help explain why it won't be of 'limited' use to fighters, at least in the tourneys:
A side effect of being a fighting city is having a huge inventory of goods. I've teleported out all my T1, 2, and 3 factories from both cities and only place them for event quests and FA's. I still have millions of each good. They come from having factories out during events/FA (if they're taking up space they might as well produce!) and from buildings that I've placed for other reasons, mainly to provide a link bonus in sets to buildings that produce something I want (mana, CC's, etc). I prefer combat; I prefer manual combat. It's a part of the game I enjoy. I also like consistency, so I tend to try to always do the same amount in tourneys every week. I'm not a competitive tourney player. I like to keep my tourney average in the 3-4K range. Right now, I've settled into 5 rounds of 20 provinces every week though I will do some of the 6th round some weeks. I like to place the expiring military bldgs late in the week so I can get the use of them for 2 tourneys and the Spire (I have the TimeWarp and a lvl 10 Polar bear to speed up the cooldown between rounds). Real life makes my in-game time less predictable every Thurs-Sun, so I like to get as many rounds out of the way by Wed evening as I can. During this event, I got out of sync with placing my military bldgs due to placing them when I wanted to do the tourney/spire for some of the event quests. So, this week, I catered the first 3 rounds of 20 provinces in both cities to get some done and placed my bldgs Friday evening for rounds 4, 5 and a few round 6. I've even recently started catering provinces 17-20 for all rounds just to have somewhere to use my excess goods. I saw barely any impact on my goods balances. If it impacts my coins/supplies, I have plenty of instants. It did impact my mana since I'm trying to upgrade my TimeWarp in both cities and it's taking 500K mana each level for those upgrades now. But, I have a Dragon Abbey and thousands of EE spells I rarely use, so I just made my cities sparkle (for a week or 2!)
For me, it wouldn't impact my Spire much if at all. I go to the top every week and have for over a year in both cities. I think I used diplomacy once in one city when it first came out and since then I may have resorted to diplomacy one other time when a fight was giving me problems. I just don't like it. And it takes sentient goods. There's a huge demand on those goods for other parts of the game (research, upgrades, guest race bldgs, etc) and they decay daily.
I would use this bldg. Just because I have an abundance of goods doesn't mean I'll just throw them away if I don't have to, lol! Since it would go into the 'bldgs' slot in crafting, it's not like I'd have to choose between crafting it or crafting a military bldg. So, I'd craft it every time it came up. Once I got ~5-6 in inventory, I'd start placing it every week. With the current structure of the tourneys, I can see competitive tourney players doing the same and making use of goods to supplement their fighting.
But just because it won't solely help cater-only cities doesn't mean they shouldn't have something to reduce their costs. Cater-only is a valid choice. It's a much harder way to play and should be respected for that level of difficulty alone. I'm not opposed to something that will help them. It's just not going to make them competitive for top rank in tourneys against players willing to make use of all of the tools provided.