• Dear forum visitor,

It looks as though you have not registered for a forum account, or are not signed in. In order to participate in current discussions or create new threads, you will need to register for a forum account by clicking on the link below.

Click here to register for a forum account!

If you already have a forum account, you can simply click on the 'Log in' button at the top right of your forum screen.

Your Elvenar Team

Easter set almost impossible to get?

DeletedUser5800

There is mine, no diamonds, I wanted 2 pavilions but thems the breaks, I will still have 100 essence to spend on the last 2 days... I also grabbed 4 seed producing Golden Palaces while the hr overlap error had them on doubles... no complaints here. I ended up having to drop $20 on my other one to get the 3rd grand... I am your 50/50. ;)
upload_2018-4-9_17-49-43.png

DeletedUser6189

So there has been at least one player in my FS who tried the "only small chests" method, with most of the chests opened on double days.

We're not the end, and already she's gotten a NUMBER of Wishing Wells (her personal desire from this event) AND the third grand prize.

I on the other hand tried it, and will NOT be getting the third grand prize. I just had bad luck opening chests. 34% of the chests should have given me bonus essence, but I have come out much lower than that ... like 28%.

I just started a city on SA server though and here's the funny part ... THAT city, with like zero resources and no real space or ability to finish the quests (I'm not even halfway through the sequential quests there) gets bonus essence like gangbusters! And I actually started the game during the Snow Flurry event a few years ago, and I remember actually getting a ton of great stuff out of that too.

So in order to help lower players, part of me wonders if the odds vary depending on what chapter you're in ................ o_O

Pheryll

Set Designer
So in order to help lower players, part of me wonders if the odds vary depending on what chapter you're in ................ o_O

A fairly large standard deviation always makes people ask these types of questions. When the probability is high for straying a few dailies too many or too few and when the re-roll (essence rewards) probability is quite high, one can expect many anecdotal tales that describe situations far from average.

DeletedUser5800

My main has always had better luck than my minis... and all of my smaller ones started during events. It would actually be cool if they scaled the odds in favor of lower chapters since the prizes become worthless faster but I've seen nothing to indicate it being that way.

SunsetDanar

I didn't get everything I had in mind but I did get them all in both worlds. I had plenty to begin with thanks to pre-planning and aside from targeting the buildings offered as dailies I just pounded the double days.

The Unbeliever

Got horribly RNG screwed on my end...
Had 1200 essences yesterday during the 'double feathers' bonus & blew them all on the small chest... got 2x 90 & only 3 or 4x 50. >.<

So, I ended up barely getting half way to the 3rd grand prize, and due to their greedy stupidity of not learning why the FoE Winter event sucked so hard, there was no way I'd 'reward' Inno by spending $28 to get the 3rd prize.

DeletedUser3468

The whole "you can't get all three without using diamonds" thing has me being very amused at the irony of the only one of my cities actually getting the third grand prize is my Sinya Arda No Diamonds city! :p

Came close in one other city but my luck didn't hold enough for me to get even halfway to the third prize in most of my cities. :( Oh well... I probably couldn't afford the space for it anyway. :rolleyes:

Ashrem

Oh Wise One
The whole "you can't get all three without using diamonds" thing has me being very amused at the irony of the only one of my cities actually getting the third grand prize is my Sinya Arda No Diamonds city! :p
I think it's easy to confuse what people are worried about. Getting the third grand prize was not especially hard. Getting the third grand prize, while also getting the daily prizes that make a complete set, was quite difficult, and relied on unusually good luck or buying essences.

DeletedUser3468

I think it's easy to confuse what people are worried about. Getting the third grand prize was not especially hard. Getting the third grand prize, while also getting the daily prizes that make a complete set, was quite difficult, and relied on unusually good luck or buying essences.

Too true! I'm just amused that I had the best luck in my no diamonds city! There were just too many pretty buildings that I wanted, to save all my essence for the double feather days, which would have increased my chances of getting all 3, I suppose. I think we may have gotten a bit spoiled by the last big Event where it was actually fairly easy to get all three of the main prizes while still getting the daily prizes too.

The Unbeliever

Also the fact that unlike the FoE sets, you also needed to get 2x of at least one of the offered daily special set buildings to claim the full bonus for just the 3 main 'grand prize' buildings, making things even harder...

Again, I really think part of Inno's thinking with our initial set buildings has been, "how do we not up and destroy any semblance of balance?"
However, they've gone and swung the pendulum from one extreme to the other here... Elvenar's sets are 'moderate' to 'decent' depending on your chapter, but are nearly impossible to obtain AND are always faced with 1 or more buildings losing out on bonuses.
Conversely, 2/3 of FoE's sets are 'disgustingly powerful' for their size-vs-benefits, and are only becoming even more stupidly over powered now that they're introducing Lv1 --> Lv2 upgrading!

Only hope for this year's Phoenix set is that we get the Lv upgrading ported over, and ALL of this year's buildings get offered at some point as a daily prize in next year's Spring event...
At least that way, there could be a chance for many of us unlucky ones to finish off their incomplete sets?!:rolleyes:

DeletedUser3638

I still say large chests is way to go. I got to 3rd prize with no diamonds. In my test city I did the small chest thing and got close but no cigar. 140 or 200 is just so much higher than 50 or 90. Even with a lower percentage the payout makes a huge difference. I got the prize but won't be placing it as I don't need non boosted goods

samidodamage

Buddy Fan Club member
I still say large chests is way to go. I got to 3rd prize with no diamonds. In my test city I did the small chest thing and got close but no cigar. 140 or 200 is just so much higher than 50 or 90. Even with a lower percentage the payout makes a huge difference. I got the prize but won't be placing it as I don't need non boosted goods
I think the statistical difference in small vs large chests is small. The added probability comes from the removal of runes as rewards causing the free essence rewards of 50 and 90 to have a higher likelihood than those of the large chest. I didn't try for the 3rd GP or any of the set bldgs. I went for as many of the Burning Pools as possible instead (event started when I was early Woodelves). For that day, started with 2562 essence, only opened small chest, gained 2880 essence (90essx22; 50essx18) and ended up with 7 Pools and 42 essence left. But, that's all anecdotal. Someone has a simulator where they run trials with a million 'tosses of the coin' to determine the statistical probabilities. Sometimes I do better than that probability indicates I should; sometimes I do worse.

Pheryll

Set Designer
Someone has a simulator where they run trials with a million 'tosses of the coin' to determine the statistical probabilities. Sometimes I do better than that probability indicates I should; sometimes I do worse.

You could do a very quick simulator. The probability distribution for 100 small chests (about 2500 essences) is very close to the distribution of rolling two six sided dice adding their results. That is the probability of getting 2 burning pools from your 2500 or so essences is about that of rolling a 2 from two dice. When you roll out the various possibilities, you begin to see why the standard deviation is relatively high, and anecdotal experiences far from the average are quite common. Your exactly 7 burning pools is right at the center and can be seen as an average return, yet exactly 7 is still at around a 1/6th chance (slightly lower). When I did my burning pool run with about 2500 essence, I only got 3 burning pools. Well, roll the two dice enough times and you reasonably quickly roll a three.

Last edited: