• Dear forum visitor,

It looks as though you have not registered for a forum account, or are not signed in. In order to participate in current discussions or create new threads, you will need to register for a forum account by clicking on the link below.

Click here to register for a forum account!

If you already have a forum account, you can simply click on the 'Log in' button at the top right of your forum screen.

Your Elvenar Team

Future of the Scrolls of Knowledge and other resources

Smooper

As this game gets older and the peak popularity has gone down, many of our favorite sources of help and information have been disappearing. I imagine one day most of them will be gone and it will be much more difficult to navigate through the game especially for new players. Our scrolls of knowledge are a pretty great resource and one that is connected to an official Elvenar site so should be available as long as the game is available.

My proposal is to collect the information from player run websites and get the information directly into INNO sites. That means links which can be broken on the other end need their information collected and placed in the Scrolls of Knowledge. Does this seem to be a good strategy and what would the drawback/negatives to doing this?

I know there is no way to get spreadsheets for events if iDavis quits making them also or the weekly information from ElvenStats so that is another matter entirely.

Smooper

LOL. Sure I guess you could say that but are we making money off of it? Has it been posted free to use? I am sure there are some lawyers out there who could tell me but because you say "it sounds like theft to me" doesn't mean it is theft. I will defer to experts on the subject.

Lady Dastardly

Some of the outside sources ARE making money off of their work, and wouldn't appreciate it being appropriated by Inno. Even if they aren't, they should still get a say in how their work is used. Especially considering what they did to the Artist's Corner, where now Inno claims to own the rights to any work posted there.

Smooper

My basic inspection of the laws of copyright tell me it is copyright material and I see nothing on the site which grants anyone unlimited use of the material. Having said that, I do not know who to contact in regards to Gems of Knowledge material. Since I am just entering chapter 12 I will play the chapter and make notes and create a guide and post a thread. Anyone else who has info can add to that thread and from that group work a Scroll of Knowledge can be created for Chapter 12.

SoulsSilhouette

Buddy Fan Club member
Inno could actually sponsor those sites to keep it running. ElvenStats has cut what it updates for all but the top tier fellowships because of the time investment involved and I'm thinking that no matter what money they make in donations or with the click ads, it's not enough to make it worthwhile choosing to that over just about anything else. As far as I can tell, Gems of Knowledge is defunct.

Of course I don't know for certain, but if that was available to the people who want to maintain a game related site, it might inspire longevity of those sites.

Sprite1313

My basic inspection of the laws of copyright tell me it is copyright material and I see nothing on the site which grants anyone unlimited use of the material. Having said that, I do not know who to contact in regards to Gems of Knowledge material. Since I am just entering chapter 12 I will play the chapter and make notes and create a guide and post a thread. Anyone else who has info can add to that thread and from that group work a Scroll of Knowledge can be created for Chapter 12.
If you look at @The Fairy scrolls of knowledge on guest races, you will already find links to several sources for information, including the quest list, and guides from Platinum Leaf and the Italian site (Cavalieri Dello Zombiaco). True, the discussion thread from the forum was less in-depth than later chapters, but that is because the information was available elsewhere. When you look at later chapters, the discussions are longer, and include sample settlement layouts and pitfalls players experience advancing through the chapters. As @Lady Dastardly has pointed out, you can still get to the ElvenGems guide through an internet archive.

Kudos to you wanting to help players coming after you, but I would encourage you to add your information to the discussion thread already in the scrolls, or work with @The Fairy to incorporate it for easy indexing later.

Things are getting harder and harder to find on the forum, so adding to a pinned area would be better.

Smooper

If you look at @The Fairy scrolls of knowledge on guest races, you will already find links to several sources for information, including the quest list, and guides from Platinum Leaf and the Italian site (Cavalieri Dello Zombiaco). True, the discussion thread from the forum was less in-depth than later chapters, but that is because the information was available elsewhere. When you look at later chapters, the discussions are longer, and include sample settlement layouts and pitfalls players experience advancing through the chapters. As @Lady Dastardly has pointed out, you can still get to the ElvenGems guide through an internet archive.

Kudos to you wanting to help players coming after you, but I would encourage you to add your information to the discussion thread already in the scrolls, or work with @The Fairy to incorporate it for easy indexing later.

Things are getting harder and harder to find on the forum, so adding to a pinned area would be better.
I am not wanting to compete with the Fairy on her Scrolls of Knowledge content, I want to add to it. Unfortunately there is too much dependance on outside sources for all of our guides and tips and as we find out, these sites can go dark and then we have nothing but a broken link. This forum, Elvenar Wiki and the game itself should always be here until they shut the lights out on Elvenar. My proposal is to get this information while we can or create new guides so that we can add them to the forum.

For my sake can you provide a link to the thread, in this forum, on chapter 12 which I can look at for the information provided. I know how to find The Scroll of Information so that is not what I am looking for.

If you can also do it for Chapter 20 so I can compare the amount of information available in that thread vs. the one for Chapter 12, I would be very grateful.

edit: nvm. I have the links to the chapter threads. (doh)

Lelanya

Scroll-Keeper, Keys to the Gems
I am not wanting to compete with the Fairy on her Scrolls of Knowledge content, I want to add to it. Unfortunately there is too much dependance on outside sources for all of our guides and tips and as we find out, these sites can go dark and then we have nothing but a broken link. This forum, Elvenar Wiki and the game itself should always be here until they shut the lights out on Elvenar. My proposal is to get this information while we can or create new guides so that we can add them to the forum.

For my sake can you provide a link to the thread, in this forum, on chapter 12 which I can look at for the information provided. I know how to find The Scroll of Information so that is not what I am looking for.

If you can also do it for Chapter 20 so I can compare the amount of information available in that thread vs. the one for Chapter 12, I would be very grateful.

edit: nvm. I have the links to the chapter threads. (doh)
Prim is maintaining her site. Please use the Translate feature on the right side, for her Guest Race Guide.

Smooper

Not sure if I am making my point here. I personally have been able to access all the chapter guides I need in Gems of Knowledge. But what if tomorrow they stop paying for the website or just shut it down? The same can happen to Prim in 2 months or a year. As a player I am hoping to put a guide which is sourced from this forum site.

Dew Spinner

Not sure if I am making my point here. I personally have been able to access all the chapter guides I need in Gems of Knowledge. But what if tomorrow they stop paying for the website or just shut it down? The same can happen to Prim in 2 months or a year. As a player I am hoping to put a guide which is sourced from this forum site.
Gems of Knowledge is full of ads that make someone money, so anyone associated with it won't be on board with this because it will cut into their profits. ;)

Smooper

Gems of Knowledge is full of ads that make someone money, so anyone associated with it won't be on board with this because it will cut into their profits. ;)
Thanks, I have decided it isn't wise to just take their information. I will be developing my own as I play the chapter and then will post a thread here on this forum which anyone can add information to. Or I will just add my info to the discussion thread in this forum. Granted for ch. 12 it is only 2 pages long at this time and has minimal bits of helpful tips.

edit: It appears I do not have the permissions to post in the old ch. 12 discussion thread which means it is closed or archived or something like that.

Last edited:

Deborah M

Oh Wise One
@Smooper I have wanted to find guest race layout information for chapters after Gems stopped adding to their wealth of knowledge. I have a couple of alts in later chapters and others in my FS. I went to Beta forum announcements. I found the announcement for the chapter I was looking for and then clicked on the link to the discussion thread. I have found layouts for each chapter in those posts. A little effort on my part and I was able to copy/paste the layout I wanted as a guide into my spreadsheet. Hope that helps you or others looking for that information.

C-Nymph

ElvenStats has cut what it updates for all but the top tier fellowships because of the time investment involved
Rather because they were told by Inno to limit their demand on Inno’s servers, because all the data that can be pulled up on demand in ElvenStats is readily available because it pulls it directly from Inno’s servers. So I highly doubt it is limited to just the top tier FS results because of time investment (since it’s an easily programmable query and doesn’t require someone actually updating it weekly) but rather to limit the high server demands.
Which is actually very friendly from Inno, that they allow it at all, because they see many players benefit from that third party site. They could’ve just as easily said they don’t allow the extra data-pull on their servers at all.

Rythel

I, for one, think this would be an absolutely amazing idea.

I was personally devastated when Elven Gems didn't have any super solid information on chapter 15 and even less for chapter 16. As someone who meticulously plans each city design for each chapter, not having that information was significantly disheartening. I have scoured the internet and forums and found a lot of information out there about the upcoming chapters but not in the simple, succinct and clear manner Elven Gems did it.

I feel like having all of that information on the official forum would be of great benefit to all players present and future, but do agree that we cannot just take the information from other sites. I think we would have to recompile all the data manually again for it to be ethical.

I just don't know what the best way to compile all that information onto the forum would be. Having a single player write individual posts for each chapter could become quite overwhelming. While there are open chapter discussions, I feel as if the important information that people want to be able to easily reference would get lost in such long posts as those. If we wanted to get another group of dedicated players to maybe add chapter guides to the scrolls of knowledge section, I would love to volunteer for that.

Given that the fan sites are using copywritten images from INNO games, I believe that INNO could claim ownership of the material. There were a couple of lawsuits about this in the early days of Magic: The Gathering.

Last edited:

Lelanya

Scroll-Keeper, Keys to the Gems
Given that the fan sites are using copywritten images from INNO games, I believe that INNO could claim ownership of the material. There were a couple of lawsuits about this in the early days of Magic: The Gathering.
So far as I know...
The owner of Gems had developed a business relationship with InnoGames.

Deleted User - 849777001

I THINK...You can find "Elven Gems..." on the WayBack Machine.
Once you get on the WayBack Website...you can put ElvenGems in the search line.
Last updated posts were in May '23...I don't have the link addy...but someone must have...

Last edited by a moderator: