• Dear forum visitor,

It looks as though you have not registered for a forum account, or are not signed in. In order to participate in current discussions or create new threads, you will need to register for a forum account by clicking on the link below.

Click here to register for a forum account!

If you already have a forum account, you can simply click on the 'Log in' button at the top right of your forum screen.

Your Elvenar Team

How to get spell fragments when a Newbie

Genefer

Is this an issue only with the new research?

I can't remember the details and I do not know if my research has been rearranged to reflect the new arrangement. With the new arrangement when does the Spire become available?

It is illogical for the MA to be Available ahead of the Spire - they should become available simultaneously.

I recall actually needing the buildings earned in events for my city for many chapters - disenchanting the buildings for Spell Fragments did not happen.

What is the purpose of an MA when you cannot craft? You can't even enchant, because that requires relics, and those require provinces to be completed and tournament participation.

What chapter is the Spire available now?

Genefer

I spend a lot of event currency on the biggest building being offered so they can be fragged

Huh, have you always used the events for spell fragments? I disenchant what I have no use for and the further I progress through the chapters the more I have to disenchant, but it never occurred to me to actually target buildings for fragments - interesting approach. Though I would target Portal Profits if they were in the rotation - much higher return than buildings. Interesting :)

crackie

Chef, Scroll-Keeper, Buddy's #1 Fan
Huh, have you always used the events for spell fragments? I disenchant what I have no use for and the further I progress through the chapters the more I have to disenchant, but it never occurred to me to actually target buildings for fragments - interesting approach. Though I would target Portal Profits if they were in the rotation - much higher return than buildings. Interesting :)
For my newest city. I climb the full Spire and there's still never enough spell frags. My older cities have 7 moonstone library sets out each so I can craft everything that comes through the MA and prob still never run out of frags (but still have not seen a Gingerbread base). Hence, I still have oodles of Winter Lampions. Don't need to frag my inventory yet, except for the occasional quests.

An upgraded MA in early game is a blessing and a curse. It does give you more spell frags when you shred things, but you also craft things a little faster so you have more CCs to play with. However, if you don't have any spell frags, then you end up crafting all the ones that costs relics instead and then run out of relics to craft more enchantments. That'll hurt your boost % too. But if you're a veteran, you know the MA is definitely worth the diamonds to get it to level 5. So for the most part, that MA just sits as an expensive ornament early game.

Normally I would shred the Portal Profits, but I have decided as a change of pace, we're going to race my 3rd city since I've played my first 2 without using portal profits. The 2nd biggest city was already in chap 12 when I joined as a chap 1 city so it had a 12 chapter head start. I think half the fellowship is already in chap 20 so I'm just being the obnoxious little puppy barking up giant sequoias and threatening to pee on them to keep things interesting. There's an internal tournament challenge coming up that I'll have zero shot at winning since I won't even have enough cleared provinces to be a viable contender, BUT...there is an award for best smack talker so this little puppy is gonna write so many checks its body can't cash. :D

Genefer

In the new tech tree Spire is a research, at the bottom of the first block after Scout, in Chapter 5,

The MA is available to build in Chapter 1, but it can't really be used until completing chapter 4 +2 research?

So for the most part, that MA just sits as an expensive ornament early game.

I wouldn't even build it without having spell fragments as a reliable resource right around the bend. Of course, I already know the basics unlike new players, but I would definitely recommend new players not to bother until the Spire is available - for fragments and diamonds to upgrade the MA.

Darielle

Chef, Scroll-Keeper, and Buddy Fan Club Member
New people will desperately need those portal profits starting in chapter 6. Those are the last things I would disenchant I'm still kicking myself for disenchanting those when I was new, lol.

To answer the OPs question, you can disenchant all of the inspiring meditations you want (the gold enchantments that make your kp bar double). Those are worthless if you play several times a day. You don't even need those overnight. They don't give many spell frags, but every little bit helps.

Once you have 9 of a certain artifact, you can start disenchanting the numbers above that EXCEPT for regular phoenix and regular bear artifacts (the ones that work for three different buildings). Artifacts are hard to come by so you probably won't have more than 9 of a certain type, particularly before you climb the spire.

I'm going to speak heresy here by saying that when you are new, you can disenchant pet food. If you don't yet have a fire phoenix, you don't really need the food. But I would not be surprised if people jump on me for that because later you will need those desperately. I'm just saying that when you're new, you gotta do what you gotta do.

Yes, spell frags are the hardest thing by far to acquire before chapter 6.

Last edited:

crackie

I wouldn't even build it without having spell fragments as a reliable resource right around the bend. Of course, I already know the basics unlike new players, but I would definitely recommend new players not to bother until the Spire is available - for fragments and diamonds to upgrade the MA.
I def would still get it down. I am not fighting with that city yet, but getting a head start on hoarding buff buildings and pet food. But as @Darielle said, I too have occasional fragged the pet food and troop packs in spell frag desperation. Now I have a healthy stockpile of pet food for when I am ready to fight and need to make multiple Fire Phoenix feeds each week. If I waited, I would be like most people here saying they are out of Pet Food.

crackie

With the new tech tree, MA is in chap 1 but there is a crafting tech in chap 3 and then Magical Inspirations tech also later in chap 3. It’s an expensive ornament if you upgrade it early. You simply never have the relics, spell frags, or CCs to do much.

defiantoneks

If you are in a decent fellowship, and play tourney regularly, you can disenchant the extraneous spells you get. Like purple hands (ensorcelled whatever) and even some Power o Provisions. They aren't worth tons each, but its better than nothing if they just sit in your inventory.

Also, you may have won artifacts in events, while not enough to make the building worth placing. Zap those. Same with any Sorceries you won't use.

As mentioned, your inventory buildings can be used. While I dont "need" to frag old buildings, i do find it nice to clean up the clutter.

It would be nice if you could disenchant things directly from the city, rather than have to teleport them or take only coins & supplies to sell them. But alas, that's not how it works. Maybe they could add a few frags in the ad prize rotation.

Genefer

New people will desperately need those portal profits starting in chapter 6. Those are the last things I would disenchant I'm still kicking myself for disenchanting those when I was new, lol.

Sorry, I was intrigued by Crackie's method of acquiring Spell fragments, so was actually a bit off topic, because I was thinking about my city not a new player's city.

Who in the low chapters has enough relics to afford to make enchantments? In my baby cities (chap 3) I desperately need relics for my production boosts to make enough goods.

Exactly! The player cannot climb the Spire, so they do not have the opportunity to acquire Spell Frags or Catalysts, without the MA, but to enchant requires relics, which requires tournament participation, which requires completed provinces.

The MA requires Relics to enchant and Spell Fragments and Catalysts to craft, and none of these are available until the Spire is unlocked and/or the player has acquired enough provinces and resources to take advantage of the Tournament's resources.

I def would still get it down. I am not fighting with that city yet, but getting a head start on hoarding buff buildings and pet food.

How? The materials for crafting are not available. There are not even relics to create Enchantments to disenchant for Spell Fragments.

Building the MA without th ability to put it to work is just wasting space that could be used for functional buildings.