• Dear forum visitor,

It looks as though you have not registered for a forum account, or are not signed in. In order to participate in current discussions or create new threads, you will need to register for a forum account by clicking on the link below.

Click here to register for a forum account!

If you already have a forum account, you can simply click on the 'Log in' button at the top right of your forum screen.

Your Elvenar Team

I'm tired of guest races

MagicPagan

Background: I have four cities - Arendyll, Winyandor, Sinya and Ceravyn. All four are at the beginning of Chapter 14.

I'm tired of guest races. I'm tired of having to study my city to see what can be teleported to help create space for the guest race portals that increase exponentially in size each chapter, having FAs begin when I have not gotten through the Chapter, and having to teleport settlement buildings to help my FS with FA, and trying to power through the remainder of the Chapter with portal profits to be a relevant FA player for my FS.

I'd rather use my resources on upgrades to my military buildings and AWs, as well as upgrading my factories to Chapter appropriate levels.

I top the spire every week in each city. My current tournament average in each city is between 3700 and 4K, occasionally over 4K. Each one of my FS get 10+ chests per week in tournament, so I always have blueprints for upgrades to magic residences and workshops, as well as being able to decide whether to use BPs to craft RRs for event and culture buildings. Upgrades to my military buildings should help me improve my tournament score.

I'm looking for feedback on the pros and cons of stopping progression through the tech tree. If there are players who also stopped that progression, when did you do that, and what made you decide to stop at any particular point?

Iyapo

Personal Conductor
You are in chapter 14, and the FA is important to you so I suggest you finish up 14 and park in 15. It is a better bracelet maker than surrounding chapters(once you get T1 upgrades).

I cater, so this is second hand knowledge only. There are a couple of troop upgrades in 15 that I have heard are worth reaching before parking for a spell(rangers and frogs?).

Darielle

Chef, Scroll-Keeper, and Buddy Fan Club Member
They get much worse as chapters pass. I'm thoroughly sick of guest races too. that's why I was parked for the longest time in 18 and have just started to do them again. (Glutton for punishment, I guess.)

I've never detested a chapter as much as I detested 17. I'm hoping that things will get better ... hope springs eternal.

By the way, portal profits become almost useless (not quite, but almost) once you hit 17.) Powering your way through with PPs will not be an option.

There has to be something they can think of that doesn't make their players hate them. At least they were much better when you could use portal profits ... at least there was an option back then. I even miss chapter 14 and 15 for that very reason. I wasn't prepared to spend 7 months in a chapter just because I didn't have 30 percent more space than the previous chapter required.

As far as the reason I parked right after I hit 18 ... I was just thoroughly exhausted from 17 and needed a break to focus on tourney and spire. There wasn't much more to it than that.

Darielle

Chef, Scroll-Keeper, and Buddy Fan Club Member
You are in chapter 14, and the FA is important to you so I suggest you finish up 14 and park in 15. It is a better bracelet maker than surrounding chapters(once you get T1 upgrades).

I cater, so this is second hand knowledge only. There are a couple of troop upgrades in 15 that I have heard are worth reaching before parking for a spell(rangers and frogs?).

That's true, Lyapo ... if I were intentionally going to park anywhere, it would probably be at the start of 16 so I'd have the frog princes. Looking back now, I could have avoided a lot of hassles since 16 was worse than 15. (In fact, after I did 16, I thought I was through the "horrible" one ... boy was I wrong, lol.)

Alram

Flippers just flip
I would suggest that you stop right where you are. You sound a little burned out and if you push forward now, I suspect the feeling will grow. I lost a great AM to the "soul sucking" chapter 15, (her words.)
A lot of us practice temporary stops for a couple of months every chapter, just to level AWs, catch up on upgrades, and optimize our city layout.

Siorse

I parked at the beginning of 17 simply because it looked pretty size intensive.

Then a couple of FS members were talking about how awful it was while trying to finish it so I stayed there.

Add in that no one on the forum seems exactly thrilled by it so I'm not planning on moving forward any time soon.

As far as tournament/spire go I'm a hybrid player and I don't think it's hurting me/my city to just hang out here indefinitely but I only have one city so I can't judge that accurately.

Plus I want to reorganize and THAT in itself is a daunting task!

crackie

Chef, Scroll-Keeper, Buddy's #1 Fan
I dislike city tetris, settlements, and reading. I do not use portal profits bc I'm never in a hurry to start another new settlement or rearranging my city. I don't do the main story quest except by happenstance so I have no idea why we're building weird buildings in each chapter. I am however, not parked. I just progress as slowly as what no portal profits gets me. I don't have a problem going all out for FA because what's another week in the chapter when it takes a few weeks to unlock a tech anyway.

If I were to stay parked, I imagine I'd get really bored. I can do everything I need to do in terms of tourney and Spire so there wouldn't be a need to acquire any new buildings as there's no new puzzles to solve in terms of land usage or goods balance. I might maybe swap some buildings as upgrades, but the difficulty would stay in stasis. I wouldn't even need to add expansions since I wouldn't have to allot space for settlements anymore. There's no need to bother with events as the city can handle the current chapter as is. The dangling carrot would be removed. To some folks, this is a dream scenario though so it's really up to everyone's own entertainment preferences. The game lets you do whatever you want. I'm mostly here for silly conversations with my fellows, and sometimes that involves barnyard funk. We just all happen to be elf gaming together.

defiantoneks

based on the comments from many it sounds simply like "i'm tired of playing this game". I mean, these are the tasks and always have been.

soooo… perhaps suggest some "minichapters" in the ideas/suggestions. Come up with some good short-build things, that maybe tie together. Format it up, and submit. basically you want a break from the long-haul builds so perhaps if they integrated some fairly do-able, but small scale challenges to drop in between main chapters it would provide a nice break. maybe even make them repeatable if you want to spend that time as restocking or just enjoy those shorter activities.

Lemon Wren

By the way, portal profits become almost useless (not quite, but almost) once you hit 17.) Powering your way through with PPs will not be an option.
That is hugely disappointing to read. I tend to stay parked at the ends of chapters because I detest guest races so. much. My strategy in every GR so far (parked at the beginning of S+D right now in my main city) is use diamonds to upgrade the storage portal to max size then PP through the rest of the GR.

Really, I cannot emphasize how much I hate the GR throttle.

PS. Hi, @MagicPagan!

MagicPagan

That is hugely disappointing to read. I tend to stay parked at the ends of chapters because I detest guest races so. much. My strategy in every GR so far (parked at the beginning of S+D right now in my main city) is use diamonds to upgrade the storage portal to max size then PP through the rest of the GR.

Really, I cannot emphasize how much I hate the GR throttle.

PS. Hi, @MagicPagan!
Hey, Lemon Wren!

Glandeh

if it makes you feel better, they do recover usefulness in 19 and 20. i honestly forget if they were handy in 18.
They are better than in 17. The quests require you to build 6 Welcome Squares (size 3x3 each). These buildings provide the capped guest race goods. So if you sell them after the quest that asks for them (or skip the quests and never build them) you can save some space in your city.

Genefer

I never deconstruct my city for an FA - I squeeze in the level 1s I can fit and focus on other badges.

I also detest the disruption in my city due to Guest Race buildings. I'm going to have to store 2 silk factories to build the GR buildings for chapter 16.

I do not build more than 1 of each GR production building, and I use teleports to swap them in and out of my city as needed for chapters that require GR resources (not GR currency) to upgrade the buildings and/or for research. Once the upgrades & research are complete, I sell off the GR production buildings and finish with PPs.

I strongly recommend building and leveling Elvenar Trade Center, Sunset Tower, the Simia & Time Warp to at least level 10 before beginning Chap 15 Research.

I spent 6 months in Chap 15, and I have been sitting in 16 for 6 months and decided to build the portal when the last FA ended.

There is no reason to rush through the chapters or deconstruct your city for the adventures.

Last edited:

Silly Bubbles

You cant pop them all
I'd stop right where you are, recharge and then maybe start progressing one city at a time. It will make it easier for you to progress other cities once you know how to go about it.

If you want to get through a chapter fast to make it more enjoyable, I'd accumulate resources then clear out as much space as I can (very important) and build a huge settlement.

ajqtrz

Chef - loquacious Old Dog
At some point, I suspect for everyone, moving through the chapters becomes sort of drudgery. It's not so much the time it takes, as that it takes so much time and thus, the amount of drudgery becomes greater the value of the reward that you accomplished something.

In addition, since anybody can do the next chapter if they just keep going, doing what they've always done, there is no real challenge to it. Make a bunch of stuff using the guest race buildings, throw some KP at the research tree (and a lot of other stuff too), and open the researches one by one. Been there, done that. How many "wash, rinse, repeats," can you handle?

Thus, you better come up with some other ways to escape burnout. I put together some ideas on that but I can't find the thread now. But ideas like, concentrating on a different aspect of the game, starting a new city and focusing on doing it differently (like catering vs fighting, playing solo, etc), taking a leadership/teaching role, starting a new fellowship with some kind of strategy for the players/goals etc. All kinds of things other than moving ahead in the chapters. And if you park your city you'll probably have to have something like this to keep you going.

AJ

Siorse

There is no reason to rush through the chapters or deconstruct your city for the adventures.
Unless of course that's how you derive enjoyment from the game.

Some people just want to get to endgame as quickly as possible and enjoy not having to do any set tasks anymore.

I see it a lot in WoW, players rush through content and dungeons/raids to get max gear so they can enjoy solo play doing what they want until the next xpac.

That's not for me but it's there for those that want it.

Flashfyre

I've finally reached that point in my Fely city, in Chap15, where I just want to be done with the tech and can spend my hard-earned S3 goods, KP, and mana/orcs/seeds on improving my city. I have AWs to level, event and evolving buildings to upgrade, and city reorganizing to accomplish. So, I am probably going to stay at the entrance to Chap16 until next year.