• Dear forum visitor,

It looks as though you have not registered for a forum account, or are not signed in. In order to participate in current discussions or create new threads, you will need to register for a forum account by clicking on the link below.

Click here to register for a forum account!

If you already have a forum account, you can simply click on the 'Log in' button at the top right of your forum screen.

Your Elvenar Team

Need help with space management

DeletedUser22383

struggling with space and would appreciate any help on how many buildings for iron, wood etc is really needed and what old buildings do I need to get rid off. Trying to keep to much I think

Thank you

DeletedUser21589

Count a building square that touches a road as one point. Lay out your city so the number of points is as low as possible. I saw a web page that says the best way to lay out a city is to put the Main Hall in the corner. That is not correct. Best is to put it in the center, so you can minimize total road distance of the city.

Whether you keep steel, planks manufactories depends on how you want to play the game. Do you want to be active in Fellowship Adventures? Then you probably need space for (small) sets of those manufactories. Are you in an active fellowship that will trade with you? Then you might not need any manufactories except what you are boosted in.

Ashrem

Oh Wise One
It's tough to give that kind of advice, because it depends if you enjoy fighting in the provinces and/or tournaments, whether you have good trading partners, whether you care about rank, if you like casting spells, if you've reached the magical Manufacturing spell, and how active you are.

In general, your current (at this writing) city layout is bpretty well done. but some of your phoenix buildings, plus the Nexus and Altar are using way too much road. Have you played with the elven architect city planner yet? Here's your city: https://www.elvenarchitect.com/city/planner/832fd0c5c5c34e84bf58694011f1f1ce/

shimmerfly

Trying to keep to much I think

If that's what you think, you probably are.
As stated so well by Ari and Ash above it depends a lot on your way of playing, what level, how much you fight and/or cater.
If your keeping non boosted factories it's better to trade for those goods if your in an active FS or neighborhood....etc,etc.
Enjoying the game and your city is the most important.

Ashrem

Oh Wise One
Yeah, you definitely shouldn't be making your non boosted goods in anything but a level one factory for quests, unless you are way up in the high chapters where you need sentient boosts. At the moment, those factories are draining your space. if you can't trade for the ones you need, you're always going to be short of space.

Eight of the ten members of your Fellowship are inactive. Your Archmage's city hasn't changed in a year-next-week. Besides that, your only two active members have the same T3 boost. And your entire membership has one silk boost and no Gem boosts. All of those things are crippling you badly for obtaining goods. You and Tams63 should find a new group quickly.

Last edited:

DeletedUser20941

It's tough to give that kind of advice, because it depends if you enjoy fighting in the provinces and/or tournaments, whether you have good trading partners, whether you care about rank, if you like casting spells, if you've reached the magical Manufacturing spell, and how active you are.

In general, your current (at this writing) city layout is bpretty well done. but some of your phoenix buildings, plus the Nexus and Altar are using way too much road. Have you played with the elven architect city planner yet? Here's your city: https://www.elvenarchitect.com/city/planner/832fd0c5c5c34e84bf58694011f1f1ce/

Ashrem
How did you get the city into the elven architect city planner? I'd like to try out mine, but haven't been able to figure out the directions.
Thank you

Ashrem

Oh Wise One
Start at elvenstats.com. At the top right, you can pick the server language, set who's city you want info for click once to bring up change player, then click that. (Search box in the centre, enter your name, pick the right world).
upload_2019-4-4_21-41-2.png

Then just below that is a "ME" that shows you some info about your city
upload_2019-4-4_21-41-28.png

link to "you": https://www.elvenstats.com/player/us6/3818417

then below the top two graphs is a bick box with ElvenArchitect in it:
upload_2019-4-4_21-40-3.png

Click the words in blue "View City On ElvenArchitect" and it will say "obtaining link" then present the link, along with when it was last updated.
upload_2019-4-4_21-42-54.png

If you know you've made changes more recently than that, click the refresh wheel and it will update to now
Then that link will draw your city in the architect Voila: https://www.elvenarchitect.com/city/planner/815ad5611b004cdd945aaaed19f6d473/
Once in a while, things glitch, but usually a refresh fixes it.

Last edited:

DeletedUser23031

Three tips that helped me.
  1. Only make boosted goods. Only. Only. Only.
  2. Use elven architect to design city and check resources
  3. join an active fellowship.

DeletedUser9601

Count a building square that touches a road as one point. Lay out your city so the number of points is as low as possible. I saw a web page that says the best way to lay out a city is to put the Main Hall in the corner. That is not correct. Best is to put it in the center, so you can minimize total road distance of the city.

It is correct to put the Main Hall in the corner. Your advice is bad. Putting it in the center does not appreciably reduce the number of roads, and it makes fitting buildings in tightly significantly more challenging. It also means that every time you reorganize your city, you have a massive building that HAS to get moved.

DeletedUser9601

More advice.
Build your city (meaning place your expansions) in a square as much as possible. Your current city is too rectangular, and will pose problems as you get to later chapters.
Focus on getting boosted factories to max level. Get rid of everything else, and get rid of un-maxed factories. Better to have 1 level 15 factory than 2 level 8s.
Easiest way to maximize space is to have a residential district and a workshop district, and work everything around that. See my city (https://www.elvenarchitect.com/city/planner/e4b7953a5a08486aad222a3a6e148943/). Not claiming its perfect, but I run residences alllll the way north to south for two columns. It fits cleanly, uses the bare minimum of roads, and guess what, next chapter it won't need to be moved (residences and workshops only change shape every other chapter). So for 9+ months, those residences are "set it and forget it."
Following on this, directly below your MH - run all your workshops until you run out of space. Then tuck any other buildings that are also 5-wide (armory, dust, EE). Directly east of your MH, run all your residences in 2+ columns. Then build everything else in a branching tree structure.
This rebuild will be hard to do now, so maybe once you wrap up dwarves, and have tons of empty space. The best part of guest races is that you will frequently have a ton of empty expansions for a few weeks in between chapters.
You've got a lot of old buildings. Ch III - V. Delete that stuff. Its not that good, and you can either replace it with current event buildings, or build a few more residences.
Try to make use of the road benefits from set buildings. Only 1 of the set needs to touch a road. Your cornucopia set is wasting 15+ squares with extra roads. Tuck it into a corner or something.

samidodamage

Buddy Fan Club member
It is correct to put the Main Hall in the corner.
Totally agree. But I also had good luck in my 2nd city with setting it one expansion from the corner, putting the Magic Academy in the exact corner and catching it, the Barracks and now Training Grounds with one road square. Next upgrade the Training Grounds will be long enough to touch the road on the other side of the main hall, so may reassess then and exchange it with the Merc Camp...maybe...

Ashrem

Oh Wise One
I can't think of any advantage to putting the MH in the centre, but whether to put it in the corner or not depends on the number and size of culture you have that don't need roads. It can easily fit along any point of one side of the city as longs as you don't have more than one or two road squares (or any empty squares) touching it.

Enevhar Aldarion

Oh Wise One
But in the end, take whatever advice works for you and makes the game fun for you. If being an efficiency expert with the game is fun, go for it. If having non-boosted goods buildings and older event buildings makes your city look the way you want it to look, regardless of efficiency, then do it. Plus sometimes it is fun to see the melting of the brains of the efficiency types when they see a city that is not designed in the "most efficient and proper" way. ;)

shimmerfly

But in the end, take whatever advice works for you and makes the game fun for you. If being an efficiency expert with the game is fun, go for it. If having non-boosted goods buildings and older event buildings makes your city look the way you want it to look, regardless of efficiency, then do it.

Yep I agree a little with everyone but mostly @Enevhar Aldarion . But I'm not good at rules and I play for pleasure.
I suggest you do what makes you happy not what will drive you nuts trying to "keep up".
I've seen some very structured cities which are fine but also some knock your eyes out beautifully creative ones. So have fun and don't worry too much. Nothing is written in stone unless or until you sell something.

Ashrem

Oh Wise One
Nothing is written in stone unless or until you sell something.
Even that is only written in the cold, wet, clay of how long it takes you to pay for a new one or win something better in the next event.

I used to agonize for weeks over getting rid of event buildings. The Wonka tent I won a few years back stuck around way longer than it should have. Now I sometimes tear down buildings down shortly after building them. As in a few minutes later.

Last edited:

shimmerfly

Yea I can't get rid of my Windmill of Evil from what...maybe 2 years ago halloween? I agonized today to dump some Christmas stuff but I'm almost happy again. waiting to upgrade stuff is the hardest for me..so I can rearrange again.

DeletedUser9601

I can't think of any advantage to putting the MH in the centre, but whether to put it in the corner or not depends on the number and size of culture you have that don't need roads. It can easily fit along any point of one side of the city as longs as you don't have more than one or two road squares (or any empty squares) touching it.
Sure. And I recall I had my MH with something like that in whatever chapter the Cyclone of Culture or whatever its called was the culture building of the chapter (Ch 3 or 4?). But you're just delaying the inevitable, IMO. Because in one chapter you go from Cyclones at 3 across, to the next chapter of Ancient Temples at 5 across, to Ponds of Recreation at 6 across. And every time you switch to new culture buildings, you're moving the majority of your north-south or east-west buildings a few squares over.
Because all those culture buildings that easily fit along the edge will just as easily fit along the bottom corner of your city.
So I agree with you, but I'd also say that eventually you probably want to get it into a corner, because sooner or later in guest race chapters, you won't have 7-10 of the same culture building size to make a "culture building border."