• Dear forum visitor,

It looks as though you have not registered for a forum account, or are not signed in. In order to participate in current discussions or create new threads, you will need to register for a forum account by clicking on the link below.

Click here to register for a forum account!

If you already have a forum account, you can simply click on the 'Log in' button at the top right of your forum screen.

Your Elvenar Team

NEW PROVINCE REQUIREMENT IN PROVINCES!! UNFAIR

Deleted User - 312108

It's a more balanced approach, and it would be more interesting except that whatever times zero interest in combat is still zero. :rolleyes:

Precisely why so many dislike the province requirements :) I dislike having to battle, it takes more time than I want to devote and I just don't like it...

DeletedUser61

I dislike having to battle, it takes more time than I want to devote and I just don't like it.
It's actually not all that bad if you treat it as a logistics problem, and use autobattle.
If you have the right mix of troops, and your squads are large enough, then you'll win every time. Or not :p.
"My logisticians are a humorless lot ... they know if my campaign fails, they are the first ones I will slay."
- Alexander the Great

Deleted User - 312108

More often than not... treants work quite well when you are playing an elf :) but yes, I use autobattle a lot. I just don't like the mechanics (movement etc.) of how the battle work.

DeletedUser

The issue I am having, is meeting these requirements thru negotiation as what I would prefer. It was what was asked early in chapter 1 and now I am forced to either fight tactically (I was born w/out this gene), or auto fight, or spend resources I don't have/need for advancement. This really is a problem that should be solved. Many people in my FS have quit playing because of this. Really, can't it just be that the treasure chest can just be bypassed? So what? You lose a few free spells. But the game continues and everyone is happy. Period. It's called a compromise.

DeletedUser627

The issue I am having, is meeting these requirements thru negotiation as what I would prefer. It was what was asked early in chapter 1 and now I am forced to either fight tactically (I was born w/out this gene), or auto fight, or spend resources I don't have/need for advancement. This really is a problem that should be solved. Many people in my FS have quit playing because of this. Really, can't it just be that the treasure chest can just be bypassed? So what? You lose a few free spells. But the game continues and everyone is happy. Period. It's called a compromise.

We haven't seen much in the way of compromise, Xyleanne. I was reminded today that European companies expect customers to politely adapt...while we Americans expect "the world to change for us". You're right, compromise would be nice.

It seems the only thing to do is relax and just go slow at the only pace allowed by the game. Perhaps don't spend any money on premiums, so if it gets too boring you can leave without regret? My experience with premiums is that they're like that 10pm ice cream: brilliant at the moment, but regretted too soon.

DeletedUser

Found this. Took a screen shot because I found it funny... But really it isn't funny.

Attachments

• Screenshot (9).png
    Screenshot (9).png
    947 KB · Views: 90

DeletedUser61

now I am forced to either fight tactically
Combat is somewhat less demanding of resources, but you can still negotiate all of the encounters other than a handful of quests where "fight and win" is what's asked for.

DeletedUser

That's kinda a miss-quote, don't you think? I actually said: now I am forced to either fight tactically (I was born w/out this gene), or auto fight, or spend resources I don't have/need for advancement.

DeletedUser43

It's actually not all that bad if you treat it as a logistics problem, and use autobattle.
If you have the right mix of troops, and your squads are large enough, then you'll win every time. Or not :p.

NOT. This is only true if you have advanced terribly far in the tech tree but haven't done any battles. Anyone who knows anything about the battling here knows that the autofighter is a horrible fighter and does the most stupid things. The AI is an idiot and will cost you tons of troops and battles.

I completely agree with xyleanne, that fighting should be optional.

DeletedUser61

The AI is an idiot and will cost you tons of troops and battles.
The combat engine, the AI (artificial intelligence), uses simple tactics.

Troops for both sides are sequenced, in the bar at the bottom of the screen, in accordance with their initiative, which indicates how eager they are to get into the fight.
  1. The current squad looks for the leftmost enemy in the initiative bar
  2. Attacks that unit if it can be reached.
  3. If not, it looks at the next unit (loop)
  4. If none of the units can be attacked, then your squad goes back to step 1 and reduces the distance without attacking
  5. A melee unit will close, and will attack once it's within range
  6. A ranged unit will back off to its maximum range, and will then attack
  7. Obstacles, including your own squads, will make the pathing longer, but more so for melee squads than for ranged squads
  8. Ideally, you'll want to position your high initiative squads (Sword Dancers) so that they'll have a clear path to the enemy
  9. The position of your troops, top to bottom, is 4 2 1 3 5, so DON'T put a ranged unit in slot that blocks a melee fighter
  10. The Cerberus has an impressive first strike capability. Give them a straight path if you possibly can.
The MAJOR weakness of the AI is that if you have 5 Priests/Sorceresses, they'll all attack the same unit, so the AI will "waste" 4 debuffs.

Autobattle is just other puzzle, although you may want to "cheat" just a bit and hold your ranged fighters in place for the first couple of rounds until the melee units have provided a screen. Otherwise your archers/crossbowmen will all die.

AllState Insurance took a survey, see http://www.prnewswire.com/news-rele...-habits-tell-a-different-story-126563103.html, and it turns out that 64% of all drivers think that they are "excellent or better than average" drivers. The same ego bias affects manual combat, in spades. NOBODY will ever admit to being worse than the AI, and they have the credit card bills to prove it.

Don't revive dead troops, ever, because you can't afford it, no matter how rich you are.

CreditCard-Trap480.png

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

I am worse than the AI. I was NOT born w/the tactical gene for this kind of combat. In fact your post reads like another language to me... hahaha No. Really, I don't understand, so auto battle when I have to fight.

DeletedUser43

It took me a while to learn too xyleanne. It gets to be a lot of fun once it stops looking like Greek. You learn which guys go first, which of your guys are best against which of their guys. Then you start winning! After you have learned a bunch you go back and watch the stupid AI make terrible decisions and cost you all kinds of fighters!!

Let me see if I can give you some basic tips:

Each type of province (gems, planks, crystal, etc.) have their own kinds of fighters. So after a while you just know that some types of fighters will be good for some types of provinces. For example....the crystal province. I learned those first...they are my favorite! Take the most advanced treants you have and just hit them silly! You will be up against green orcs and the red doggies. When I hit the doggies, I say "bad doggie" in my head and it is fun! Try to surround the enemy the best you can. You want all the treants hitting them when they get a turn. If you see that one of your treants might kill an enemy the next round, you don't need all your other treants in line to hit the same bad guy. (Since he will already be dead the first time you hit him)

Another easy province, are the ones with archers and cannoneers IF you have sorceresses. Because once a sorceress hits one of those types of enemies, they can't hit you back! Oh, they try, but they hit back and do zero damage!!

Try just those two kinds and get a feel for how your guys move, and how they move. It should help! In the beginning though, I would sit and watch the AI battle. At least that gives you an idea of how things move. :) That is the hardest part!

DeletedUser

It took me a while to learn too xyleanne. It gets to be a lot of fun once it stops looking like Greek. You learn which guys go first, which of your guys are best against which of their guys. Then you start winning! After you have learned a bunch you go back and watch the stupid AI make terrible decisions and cost you all kinds of fighters!!

Let me see if I can give you some basic tips:

Each type of province (gems, planks, crystal, etc.) have their own kinds of fighters. So after a while you just know that some types of fighters will be good for some types of provinces. For example....the crystal province. I learned those first...they are my favorite! Take the most advanced treants you have and just hit them silly! You will be up against green orcs and the red doggies. When I hit the doggies, I say "bad doggie" in my head and it is fun! Try to surround the enemy the best you can. You want all the treants hitting them when they get a turn. If you see that one of your treants might kill an enemy the next round, you don't need all your other treants in line to hit the same bad guy. (Since he will already be dead the first time you hit him)

Another easy province, are the ones with archers and cannoneers IF you have sorceresses. Because once a sorceress hits one of those types of enemies, they can't hit you back! Oh, they try, but they hit back and do zero damage!!

Try just those two kinds and get a feel for how your guys move, and how they move. It should help! In the beginning though, I would sit and watch the AI battle. At least that gives you an idea of how things move. :) That is the hardest part!
BEST ADVICE I HAVE RECEIVED! Thanx for that. I actually understand that. :):cool::rolleyes::)

DeletedUser43

Here is an example of the archers and cannoneers with sorceresses battle I was talking about:

I started with swordsmen which I knew would die right away but that helped save my sorceresses lives. As soon as the sorceresses hit the archers and cannoneers once, you can see that the spell they put on the bad guys prevents the bad guys from hitting the sorceresses with any damage. They get hit...but it says zero damage.

And here is the encounters guide from The Phantom. This helped me a bunch. https://beta.forum.elvenar.com/index.php?threads/encounters-guide.488/

DeletedUser1122

The Cerberus has an impressive first strike capability. Give them a straight path if you possibly can.
This is true in the early rounds but is successful negated with obstacle placements in the later rounds.
you may want to "cheat" just a bit and hold your ranged fighters in place for the first couple of rounds until the melee units have provided a screen
If you can at least make the first move on your own, either first strike or move just enough that keeps your troops out of enemy first strike range and then auto fight, that will help big time. Watching auto fight is enough to make want to learn how to fight.

DeletedUser594

Hitpoints.png
Hitpoints.png Elves_sorceress.png Crushing Canon since Ch.III
I've got a short super basic document with pics of troop types showing who you should use against different types of enemies. I made it for some members who just didn't like the fighting, didn't want to read the battle guide or the wiki so it's a really truncated kind of quick n dirty beginners guide, Ill send you a copy.

DeletedUser43

My first move is often not to move so the enemies get closer and then I can hit them first. Sometimes though, my first move is to run headlong as fast as I can at the enemy.