• Dear forum visitor,

It looks as though you have not registered for a forum account, or are not signed in. In order to participate in current discussions or create new threads, you will need to register for a forum account by clicking on the link below.

Click here to register for a forum account!

If you already have a forum account, you can simply click on the 'Log in' button at the top right of your forum screen.

Your Elvenar Team

Optimizing Space Usage in Your City

DeletedUser2479

@allorah The city looks great. On a friendly note, it's probably time to find a compatible fellowship and convert to boosted-goods-only production. You'll love the visits and trading!

Thank you for the feedback! I appreciate it very much. I just now returned from posting in the "Members seeking fellowship" forums! Funny to return here & find that I was being urged to move in that direction. I've never been a member of a fellowship before, so I'll start looking now. Thanks again.

Jackluyt

Platinum Leaf -FB
If anyone sees a way to improve my layout, I'd appreciate the feedback!

You are doing just great!
You are dead right - bulky buildings should be placed at the corners - so they do not interfere with the neat rows of smaller buildings in the heart of your city.
It is difficult to build around bulky buildings!

Jackluyt

Platinum Leaf -FB
I will be interested to see what you do when you upgrade your silk factories and the workshops and the culture to the Ponds.

Well I did the workshops!
Now I have no more space, and nothing more to do that I can think of.
I have 4 builders sitting around idle all day long; they have taken to drinking cheap wine and playing dominoes.
I cannot lay them off, because I have a contract with the Fairies Union, and if I renege on that, they will turn me into a daffodil.
:)

PS: Ooooh!
I just noticed - I DO have room to upgrade a few of the silk factories!

049b.jpg

Jackluyt

Platinum Leaf -FB
I will be interested to see what you do when you upgrade your silk factories and the workshops and the culture to the Ponds. As an Elf, I find the extra space on the bottom not so useful when all the buildings got wider, not longer.

049d.jpg

Latest!
I don't think it gets much better than that; I have finished my city until the Next Guest Race arrives...

Now just a matter of upgrading the rest of the roads to Blossom Streets, and then tidying up the bottom left corner...
I'll probably move a Workshop down there and build 2 more Plankeries.
And the Mountain Halls...

DeletedUser1122

Excellent! Nice tight city layout. All expansions used.
No AW? Are you going to try to build some of the 12 ancient wonders?
No Mercenary Camp? - What is your plan?
No Fairy Portal? Risky
I wonder how my human town will look after I get the next 16 expansions:)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Edit
I see you do have a AW.
Is this layout on your facebook page? I'd like to make the layout location available for the fellowship to look at.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser61

No way Jose. Not until the <next race> quests activate, and suggest doing so.

DeletedUser594

I'm still getting Dwarven quests. When does that end?

DeletedUser61

As I recall, the quest for deleting the Dwarven Portal is the end of the Dwarven quests,
but I've never given quests anything more than casual attention.

DeletedUser627

@6pac Since we did have that "Delete Dwarven Portal" at the beginning of Fairy, we'll probably have a similar Quest at the beginning of our next race.

What to do probably depends on each game. If you finish Fairy with 1) expansions already available and 2) a preference to reach a specific score or appearance goal - then delete the Portal at will. The opening of the next race will allow ample time during the interminable initial Research to build a little Level 1 Portal on new expansion.

But if you don't needs the space, it's a nice-looking building!

DeletedUser43

I also figure I won't have many expansions at the beginning of a new race. I don't buy expansions, so it takes me a long time to get them. I might get one at the beginning of a new race. I then need to build a new portal and new farms or mines or whatever and for that I will need that space again. If I fill that space now with buildings, I just have to unbuild them, so I might as well leave those farms now and delete them when the new race comes.

DeletedUser3086

Well I did the workshops!
Now I have no more space, and nothing more to do that I can think of.
I have 4 builders sitting around idle all day long; they have taken to drinking cheap wine and playing dominoes.
I cannot lay them off, because I have a contract with the Fairies Union, and if I renege on that, they will turn me into a daffodil.

PS: Ooooh!
I just noticed - I DO have room to upgrade a few of the silk factories!

View attachment 795
Woah thats crazy!! Wish they would give us more freedom to place the buildings where we want like in a circle formation. Its so lmited.......

DeletedUser

Woah thats crazy!! Wish they would give us more freedom to place the buildings where we want like in a circle formation. Its so lmited.......
I agree with you. I also think we should be allowed to rotate the buildings and the culture if we want to. Especially the culture because of the size of the flowers, they get in the way and end up having to be removed because they won't fit in anymore.
Will we get a response from someone as to why we can't and/or when they will fix it so we can have these options available?

DeletedUser61

DeletedUser3297

I remember looking at you city months ago and have followed you model Jackluyt, thank you, you have some great ideas!

How would you fix this??
My city is perfectly square, so the next expansion I get will be placed next to the builders hut. That will give me the room to move the Glossy garden out of where it is and move 2 houses up from the elixir block into the glossy garden spot. My crystal manufactories have the required room to upgrade to the next size, so do all my steel at the southern border. The problem is, I have planned everything to upgrade easily except for those 4 steel manufactories next to the elixir. I am wondering when I upgrade those other 6 to level 9, should I just delete those 4 that can't be upgraded? Or is there a better layout I could use?
2rmaatw.png

SoggyShorts

Mathematician par Excellence
While rule #1 (place mainhall in corner) might be useful in some situations, I'd hesitate to call it a rule.
If you are clever about it, you can use your mainhall to replace several roads.
mago60.png
[/IMG]
mago60.png
[/IMG]
mago60.png
[/IMG]
mago60.png
See how I'm using the MH instead of 6 roads?