• Dear forum visitor,

It looks as though you have not registered for a forum account, or are not signed in. In order to participate in current discussions or create new threads, you will need to register for a forum account by clicking on the link below.

Click here to register for a forum account!

If you already have a forum account, you can simply click on the 'Log in' button at the top right of your forum screen.

Your Elvenar Team

Optimizing Space Usage in Your City

DeletedUser3312

This is my human city. It works well for me at this time.

Attachments

• my city.png
    my city.png
    922.1 KB · Views: 173

DeletedUser2870

The Latest!

Pretty much as good as it can get, right now.
I replaced the Taverns with Harvest Festivals when I unlocked the Tech - much more Culture per block.

I have lost all the extra population though - now I am in the red by 860. But that doesn't matter - I am not using any pop now and once I have upgraded the houses I will have plenty.

Then I can start worrying how to upgrade the warehouses from 5x3 to 3x6!

The Level 19 houses are really pretty!View attachment 740

Lovely city. Though for the life of me I have no clue why you would need that many factories.

DeletedUser594

Lovely city. Though for the life of me I have no clue why you would need that many factories.
I have roughly that many with one of them being a magic workshop and it's still a struggle to run everything at full bore 24 hours a day without cycling quests (which I hate doing).

DeletedUser2870

@varron
No, the workshops I can understand. I tend to have about 11 of them to be able to keep up with the demand and yes, 1 or 2 magical ones. I was wondering about the factories. I work with 7-4-4 and I already am accused by some of hoarding too many goods that way.

DeletedUser3696

@varron
No, the workshops I can understand. I tend to have about 11 of them to be able to keep up with the demand and yes, 1 or 2 magical ones. I was wondering about the factories. I work with 7-4-4 and I already am accused by some of hoarding too many goods that way.
Define hoarding too many goods?

I'm at roughly 10k total goods per cater, with some being as low as 7k and others at 13k+ (not including orcs!!).

DeletedUser2870

LOL...don't ask me, I'm at the same position you are.
I have at anytime something like 500K of each good at hand (300K at my smaller city).
But some people seem to object to that and call it hoarding goods

SoggyShorts

Mathematician par Excellence
. Place your main hall in one of the corners of the board
Here's a trick I've developed for getting more out of your MH.
All of my cities have the MainHall just a little inside the city so that I can use 1 road square for 3 big buildings
a1703b.png
2. Place all your culture buildings and builder's hut down the outside of the board.
Usually a great idea, unless you want your builder buffed, then you may want to keep it close to your MH so visitors can find it

Thistleknot

Here's my take on an Elven city in the Wood Elves age. I squeezed in a bunch of wonders to boot. I think I have a fairly efficient city. The lower right corner has a lot of culture that I will get rid of as I get deeper into the Wood Elves. And any buildings that I get from the Snow Flurry Event will find their way in. I also have two saved expansions to fill in when I need them.

[
upload_2016-12-6_23-2-21.png
]

DeletedUser2870

I'm reasonably deep into the woodelf chapter and am getting seriously worried for space.

I've got 10 Willows producing mana (and some of the small buildings) but am wondering whether that will be enough. That's already about 11 expansions if one includes the roads needed for them. I sold pretty much all other cultural buildings (except a few premium ones) to place these.

The gate (forest glade) will eventually take another 4x4 chunk+forest trails, and I've placed 5 forest fabrications so far. That leaves me some room to place 9 fabrication sites (3 of each). Since there is a quest stating "build 3 marble fabrication-sites" it's pretty safe to assume that is going to be the minimum amount needed to progress.
Up to the moment I unlocked the forest fabrication I had stored something like 400K in mana. Since then I've set up 5 of those and started the marble sites (still only got 2 of them, since the 5 forestfabrication sites aren't fast enough to produce the manatears to build the 3rd yet)...and now am down to 14K and having trouble to gather enough mana to keep going. I completed the wood-site, but can't unlock it for lack of mana so far.
This is getting to be pretty annoying

DeletedUser3696

I'm reasonably deep into the woodelf chapter and am getting seriously worried for space.

I've got 10 Willows producing mana (and some of the small buildings) but am wondering whether that will be enough. That's already about 11 expansions if one includes the roads needed for them. I sold pretty much all other cultural buildings (except a few premium ones) to place these.

The gate (forest glade) will eventually take another 4x4 chunk+forest trails, and I've placed 5 forest fabrications so far. That leaves me some room to place 9 fabrication sites (3 of each). Since there is a quest stating "build 3 marble fabrication-sites" it's pretty safe to assume that is going to be the minimum amount needed to progress.
Up to the moment I unlocked the forest fabrication I had stored something like 400K in mana. Since then I've set up 5 of those and started the marble sites (still only got 2 of them, since the 5 forestfabrication sites aren't fast enough to produce the manatears to build the 3rd yet)...and now am down to 14K and having trouble to gather enough mana to keep going. I completed the wood-site, but can't unlock it for lack of mana so far.
This is getting to be pretty annoying
Looks like my culture bonus will be going back to 100%

I just unlocked the forest fabrication tech and I'm about to build some, but already I know I need more space and I only have 1 expansion left to buy (I need forest fabrication to get the fee first) and I'm too far ahead and will probably only get one more expansion from provinces.

DeletedUser2870

Yes, I've brought my culture down as well, but it's getting to be hard to fit it all in.
Can't sell residences, since I'm pretty close to only 200 pop.
Can't sell the factories, since I'm facing such ridiculous negotiation fees I need them to be able to cope.
Can't sell any more military buildings, as I only have the barracks and 1 armory now, I sold the rest a while ago since they didn't do me any good. And the 1 armory I need for the orcs.

Only things left to sell are some premium-culture buildings, for which I won't get anything in return, or some event-buildings, which are a combination of pop and culture, so that would leave me negative on pop.

(Edit)
And that wouldn't be so bad, except I can't unlock the expansion since I need all that special stuff for that.
Same goes for province expansions...far and few between, since scouting takes very long and the battles are impossible anyway, so I need to negotiate at exorbitant prices but it takes about a month to get one, so that's no real help.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser2228

Related note here - I keep thinking I have plenty of wood elves production with no use for any more buildings. But then I get yet ANOTHER quest to add even more wood elf production on. (Reminds me of forcing people who were slow on the tech tree to build 3 rally points).

Is there a way to find out (up front!) how many of these things we will be forced to build?

mikeledo

Has anybody tried using the Main Hall in the middle rather than pushed to a corner? It seems to be a consensus that the optimum space utilization is with the hall in the corner. I was just wondering why that was true or if it was true. I am thinking about a middle move next time I get a few more expansions. I feel like I am playing with my Soma blocks again.

SoggyShorts

Mathematician par Excellence
Has anybody tried using the Main Hall in the middle rather than pushed to a corner? It seems to be a consensus that the optimum space utilization is with the hall in the corner. I was just wondering why that was true or if it was true.
Putting your MH in a corner is a somewhat novice strategy imo. It wastes a lot of the MH ability to replace roads. for example:

1447k9l.jpg
See how with just one square of road you can service the trader, MA, and Barracks?

It would be hard to place it in the very center of your map, but if you had some large buildings pressed right against it, you could do quite well with it.

The goals is always to use as few roads as possible since they give the worst returns per square, so I always try to think of my MH as an alternative to roads.