• Dear forum visitor,

It looks as though you have not registered for a forum account, or are not signed in. In order to participate in current discussions or create new threads, you will need to register for a forum account by clicking on the link below.

Click here to register for a forum account!

If you already have a forum account, you can simply click on the 'Log in' button at the top right of your forum screen.

Your Elvenar Team

Optimizing Space Usage in Your City

DeletedUser3507

Yup as you would say optimized space...

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser9723

My view on this is as in many builder games the developers fail to consider one may wish to re-design their town without selling/disbanding units.

I like those games where theres an editor like in one game Your allowed to clear the map within the editor

That removes everything off map leaving you a clear map.

You CANNOT leave out anything when place back things in the editor, its like dumping everything into a Temp "warehouse" then putting things back in on map and when done putting all back in you can save it and exit editor.

In that game I can easy reset way I have my city...Elvenar, Forge should have had that type of thing at the very beginning... but Developers dont seem to really understand player needs, otherwise they if played their games would realize the need.

Its a thing that prevents me from ever rating these games as 5 stars..
I discount any builder game by 2 stars if it doesnt include a way to resert/redo your city without having to sell off buildings to re arrange a town.
On any of the mmorg sites that rate games.

DeletedUser6455

Sorry for bumping this post up again, but I'd love some opinions on this, as I spent way too much time trying to figure this out.

Great news - I powered through the Orc chapter. I don't think I was held up at all, probably because I put so much space towards their production. I'm officially in Woodelves, woohoo! Time for a much needed redesign.

This is what I'm working on. This is what my goal is (including the chapter expansions, and one from opening provinces). I can't fit my level 9 training grounds anywhere (does it get smaller if I keep upgrading? haha), so obviously this will not work LOL.

http://www.elvenarchitect.com/city/planner/be949e9781844189884214d1cacd315b/

I don't really find myself battling much if at all - probably a holdover from those earlier chapters when I would get obliterated. I know I need armories for orcs. I'd also like to put up some more AWs, but space is ridiculous now. Are any of the ones I have useless, and I should just get rid of them. I actually just sold off my Martial Monastery (goodbye cliff graphic). Any ideas? Should I get rid of training grounds or any of that, or is it too short sighted, as battling might actually be better these days?

DeletedUser3602

I changed your lay out and now your Training Grounds lv 9 fits, :)

http://www.elvenarchitect.com/city/planner/de3e8b634e1c4ff88d67dbb4034fd534/

Your gem factories aren't together anymore though, so if you can't stand that I think you're going to have to delete something. If I were you I'd delete the endless excavation. Here's a discussion you can read about the best ancient wonders, on page 1 Reiq made a list of good & bad AW's: https://us.forum.elvenar.com/index.php?threads/best-ancient-wonders.13605/

Oh, and if you have "very easy" and/or "easy" provinces on your map, it's definitely worth it to (auto-)fight instead of negotiating. If you choose the right units you will win for sure. The same goes for the first few rounds of the tournaments.

DeletedUser7370

@RadicalDreamer I rearranged your city. The only building removed was 1 house since you have enough population, and it no longer fit the residential district. I added the L9 training grounds you specified. It is not as pretty to look at, but it does have some left over space for temporary event buildings. I eliminated 28 road tiles and few settlement roads, and there are a few out of the way spots to cram in small culture if you want.
http://www.elvenarchitect.com/city/planner/a042ea8afb534cc9b007c51e97b6e3a9/

juniperknome

i put my city across the back of the board 5 wide I am planning on 20 granite mines to start when I can do dwarves I am now on scouts at the start on dwarves . I it took 2 weeks of arm twisting by the alliance to get me to take out all the unboosted but I so ran out of space now I am glad I did . 6 tier 1 3 each tier 2 and 3 I have something over 700k goods now. so I am way over producing. I have saved vacant space only so I can fast track the contests.

Mykan

Oh Wise One
@RadicalDreamer Firstly note any suggestions made will always have my own interpretation so may not be exactly what you want. our tournament play has a big impact on what you might need in terms of combat. If ou do minimal combat as suggested you could save a lot of space by dropping the 3rd armory and not using a training ground or merc camp. Troops can be way cheaper then negotiate/cater on occasion but what you have is likely to be enough for those situations. Here is a suggested town based on that
http://www.elvenarchitect.com/city/planner/1a489a6ee1bb422d93685c229da95f7c/

Objects that could be removed are on the side of the town, the report still includes them so you would have to delete them to see the impact. I dropped an marble factory as it was producing double your other factories and they get a production gain in wood elves. Either way this creates a bunch of space for you to put things back in or to add in wonders.

Be careful with advice on wonders as most people typically base this on their own strategy preference which may or may not align with yours. So filter that advice through your strategy. Some of the recent posts in my guide on wonders provide some analysis of certain wonders that you can consider as you decide which wonders will work best for you.

DeletedUser12423

My view on this is as in many builder games the developers fail to consider one may wish to re-design their town without selling/disbanding units.

Well said, and a great suggestion. Your idea would help both veterans and new players, and I really hope Inno considers something like that ^ ^

iamthouth

Tetris Master
Minimising roads is so crucial. They are the least efficient tile in the game. I am currently at 6.8% streets of total tiles, with 118 expansions totalling 2950 tiles, and 202 streets, in chapter 15. I was at 197 streets until my most recent building upgrade. If you are at more than 10% streets there is usually a more efficient layout.

mikeledo

I have been thinking long and hard about space optimization. With all the evolve and set buildings, it would seem an older city that has accumulated millions of goods doesn't need manufacturing buildings that grow with upgrades except for events and FA, they come in handy. You reduce them, you can reduce the amount of WS needed. with the size staying the same, city design is easy with all 4x4 and 3x3 with a set building at the end of the streets. You would still need sentient and ascended buildings of course, at least for now.

Yogi Dave

I put my Main Hall off the corner by one building, surrounding it with AWs taking minimal roads for them. A good bit of my city is not optimal at the moment since it hasn't needed to be while waiting to expand my ch 19 guest race region.
MHandAW.png