• Dear forum visitor,

It looks as though you have not registered for a forum account, or are not signed in. In order to participate in current discussions or create new threads, you will need to register for a forum account by clicking on the link below.

Click here to register for a forum account!

If you already have a forum account, you can simply click on the 'Log in' button at the top right of your forum screen.

Your Elvenar Team

Release Notes version 1.96 discussion

The Unbeliever

So what's the point of even bothering with this new so-called, "Spire Ranking" when it's 100% meaningless?

Hmmmm... it's almost as if we need a 'Fellowship Leveling System' to make some actual use of this new 'feature', alongside things like the FA ranking pts et all?!;)

Deborah M

Oh Wise One
And what's the point of the player ranking system - it's also meaningless

Thing is that it is not meaningless to top ranking players. It is a competitive element to a lot of players. It is also not meaningless to a lot of lower level players who get a sense of accomplishment as they move up in ranking score. Not directed at WolfSinger! It gets old hearing how meaningless ranking is spoken as if it is a "fact". It is mostly only "fact" to those who think every conclusion Soggy came to was gospel. Not true to many, many players with different play styles.

Ashrem

Oh Wise One
It's as meaningful as the player wants it to be, and it is meaningful to fellowships, as it affects their ability to recruit like-minded players and your ability to be accepted into like-minded fellowships. It does not affect your city in any way so is meaningless to the city. I'm not sure Soggy really considered a lot of the former, because he was lucky enough to be in a highly ranked, well structured, fellowship already, and brought a lot of assets to the team besides his score. His notoriety and organizational skills probably effectively allowed him to punch above his score-centric weight class. If he'd been a more typical player, it's possible he might have had different feelings.

DeletedUser2768

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE!!!!!!! Can you make AW donations to ANYONE else a top priority? I'm 98% mobile and cannot participate in my FS's AW program because I can't donate to anyone else. This game crashes and lags big time every time I try to play on my laptop.

DeletedUser4194

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE!!!!!!! Can you make AW donations to ANYONE else a top priority? I'm 98% mobile and cannot participate in my FS's AW program because I can't donate to anyone else. This game crashes and lags big time every time I try to play on my laptop.

Thank you for adding this to the list. We have asked about the status for this feature and will keep doing so. We do know that it is definitely something that is being considered very seriously.

DeletedUser2768

Thank you for adding this to the list. We have asked about the status for this feature and will keep doing so. We do know that it is definitely something that is being considered very seriously.

If it helps, I can continue to be the squeaky wheel about this subject. :) I know you're just the messenger, so I'm trying to aim elsewhere, but the lack of ability to donate to AW's is really shortsighted on the part of whoever is in charge. It's creating all kids of headaches for fellowships, especially archmages. Allowing it on the browser version, but not the mobile sounds ridiculous.....but what do I know? :D :D :D

The Unbeliever

It's as meaningful as the player wants it to be, and it is meaningful to fellowships, as it affects their ability to recruit like-minded players and your ability to be accepted into like-minded fellowships. It does not affect your city in any way so is meaningless to the city. I'm not sure Soggy really considered a lot of the former, because he was lucky enough to be in a highly ranked, well structured, fellowship already, and brought a lot of assets to the team besides his score. His notoriety and organizational skills probably effectively allowed him to punch above his score-centric weight class. If he'd been a more typical player, it's possible he might have had different feelings.
IIRC, Soggy's main issue was with how the ranking pts system is applied vs. it simply being there.
For example, it kinda makes 0 sense why event buildings seemingly give 0 ranking pts, yet a city that focused on some of the more, well, hyper-efficient/busted as all gak Set Buildings, pop-culture hybrids, and/or now Evo buildings, etc... would be ranked lower than a far less efficient city that had say, half a dozen magic ressies+workshops & a couple max Lv'd factories...
The Former example would produce absolute gak-tons more goods & troops than the latter, and be overall a much more 'powerful' city, yet, due to using event buildings would be ranked well below it, because... "Reasons."

Deborah M

Oh Wise One
IIRC, Soggy's main issue was with how the ranking pts system is applied vs. it simply being there.
For example, it kinda makes 0 sense why event buildings seemingly give 0 ranking pts, yet a city that focused on some of the more, well, hyper-efficient/busted as all gak Set Buildings, pop-culture hybrids, and/or now Evo buildings, etc... would be ranked lower than a far less efficient city that had say, half a dozen magic ressies+workshops & a couple max Lv'd factories...
The Former example would produce absolute gak-tons more goods & troops than the latter, and be overall a much more 'powerful' city, yet, due to using event buildings would be ranked well below it, because... "Reasons."

Just putting it out there. It has seemed to me that Elvenar has been systematically reducing the ability of players to exclusively use the "exploits" that Soggy touted all the time. I know they were not technically exploits since they were honestly gained but I think they undermined the basic foundation of Elvenar. I know that I have had to add back some of the buildings, etc that I had eliminated in my limited application of Soggy's style of play. Maybe the ranking system is exactly what Elvenar intended??

Ashrem

Oh Wise One
For example, it kinda makes 0 sense why event buildings seemingly give 0 ranking pts,
It makes 100% sense. Ranking is based on very simple formulas. Map progress, KPs invested in AWs, required culture, working population, and fixed bonuses for tournament placement. The only way buildings affect ranking is if they consume population or culture. No event buildings consume any population or culture.

For them to affect ranking, the developers would have redesign the ranking system in some other way, or arbitrarily assign ranking points to every culture building and then put up with thousands of forum posts about why they got it wrong and this event building ought to have more ranking points than that event building because it's not only bigger, but also makes seeds instead of marble but this other one should have even more because it's blue and people like it more so they deserve more points.

They are free buildings that do not fit any of the established criteria for ranking, and no-one is obliged to use them.

qaccy

It makes 100% sense. Ranking is based on very simple formulas. Map progress, KPs invested in AWs, required culture, working population, and fixed bonuses for tournament placement. The only way buildings affect ranking is if they consume population or culture. No event buildings consume any population or culture.

For them to affect ranking, the developers would have redesign the ranking system in some other way, or arbitrarily assign ranking points to every culture building and then put up with thousands of forum posts about why they got it wrong and this event building ought to have more ranking points than that event building because it's not only bigger, but also makes seeds instead of marble but this other one should have even more because it's blue and people like it more so they deserve more points.

They are free buildings that do not fit any of the established criteria for ranking, and no-one is obliged to use them.

Perhaps all of this means that the ranking system needs an overhaul. However you wanna slice it, it doesn't make sense that there are buildings that don't contribute to ranking in any way. They consume space, they (presumably) help the player in some way, so they should all contribute to a player's score.

To be clear, I'm not trying to argue that the ranking system does or doesn't 'matter'. Just that the current system is antiquated and could use updating to account for how the game's changed since it first released.

On the topic of the update, thank you for improving the speed of battle results on mobile. I can actually do tournaments on my phone now!

Ashrem

Oh Wise One
Perhaps all of this means that the ranking system needs an overhaul. However you wanna slice it, it doesn't make sense that there are buildings that don't contribute to ranking in any way. They consume space, they (presumably) help the player in some way, so they should all contribute to a player's score.

To be clear, I'm not trying to argue that the ranking system does or doesn't 'matter'. Just that the current system is antiquated and could use updating to account for how the game's changed since it first released.

On the topic of the update, thank you for improving the speed of battle results on mobile. I can actually do tournaments on my phone now!
I think most of the game could use an overhaul. the question is where do they get the most bang for their coding efforts. If they really want the average person not to be driven away by realizing how daunting it would be to try to get a top rank, then they have to be careful about appearing too interested in it.

I'm comfortable with us disagreeing. Personally, I like it that event buildings are a consequential choice. I can use them extensively, because I don't care what my score is. Someone who wants a high score has to choose to forgo most event buildings. I can play an entirely different game from them. From my point of view, decisions should always have consequences in a game, or they aren't really a decision.

I don't fight on mobile enough to have noticed the difference in combat there, but if it keeps people around, it's got to be a good thing.

Risen Malchiah

Battle - Made adjustments to lower waiting times in the results screen after a battle has finished by improving the speed of the server response.
I thought my eyes were deceiving me. Believe it or not, it actually took 3 or 4 encounters before I realized this since I was waiting for a bus and kept looking up after hitting "Fight". I was so pleased and was on a roll that I almost didn't notice when the bus finally arrived. :p

So I am truly happy about this! It will save a lot of time and I won't dread using mobile for the times when I do 30-40 provinces. :cool:

DeletedUser24305

There is a very bright florescent green text color on mobile now that is challenging to read.

20200127_155915.jpg

20200127_155940.jpg