• Dear forum visitor,

It looks as though you have not registered for a forum account, or are not signed in. In order to participate in current discussions or create new threads, you will need to register for a forum account by clicking on the link below.

Click here to register for a forum account!

If you already have a forum account, you can simply click on the 'Log in' button at the top right of your forum screen.

Your Elvenar Team

Rune Prizes When Contributing to AWs

DeletedUser

I know that some AWs award runes (or rune shards) to only the top contributor of KPs, while other AWs will award runes (or rune shards) or KP to to the top 3 (or more?) contributors. I'm not certain which ones are which, sorry - I just know some are different than others.

I have been frustrated multiple times to have been the top contributor to another player's AW and I have earned a lousy rune SHARD instead of an actual RUNE for that AW.

I understand that provinces & tournament runes may be random, but when a player actively places huge chunks of KP into a specific AW, I think we should earn a FULL rune for THAT AW, *not* a measly shard.

For example, if I am considered Player A, and I contribute 51 KP to Player B's Mountain Halls AW, and I *earn* the spot as the top contributor when the Mountain Halls is ready to upgrade, then I think that at least, a FULL rune for Mountain Halls should be awarded to me, not one that breaks & gives me one little shard. If you are not already aware, you need 10 shards to forge a full rune.

Sometimes players can 'snipe' the top spot on an AW where other players have contributed lots of KP already, and sometimes slow & steady contribution is the way to win the top spot. But, either way, the KP you contribute can be quite a lot. If I spend 40, 50, 60+ KP on an AW, and I *earn* that top spot, I really feel like the game should automatically reward a FULL RUNE.

I'd love to hear from others what they think about not only my suggestion, but also what they think the "odds" are when a player is the top contributor - how likely are they to get a full rune rather than a rune shard? Is there any way to affect the odds? What have your experiences been - do you feel like you often have won a full rune, or do you feel like the odds are about even (sometimes full rune, sometimes shard, but pretty fair nonetheless), or do you feel like you've mostly won just shards?

Do you think the top contributor prizes could be improved in any other way, or do you think it's fine the way it is?

DeletedUser4671

The odds of a rune breaking into a shard is not affected by how you get the rune. Runes from provinces, tournaments, events and being the top contributor all have the same odds of going into the circle or breaking.

DeletedUser43

Agreed. But I think Travels is saying that if we spend that much kp we should get an unbreakable rune for the trouble. It is so insanely hard to get the runes to build these things once, then we need to do it again for level 5 and again for level 10! It is crazy. I like the idea of unbreakable runes if you get the top spot. That would make it very valuable and people would really compete for that spot.

DeletedUser

Okay, the ODDS of the rune breaking may be the same for all runes that a player can obtain, but I don't think it SHOULD be that way. I am saying that how you get the rune should come into play, and if you get the rune by being the top contributor, it should be a full rune, not one that has the potential for breaking.

DeletedUser3468

I get what you're saying... but since the runes you receive are random, the only time you can be certain it won't break into a shard is if it's the very first rune you have for that building. It would be great if that could be changed so that even if the second rune you collect is identical to the first, it would morph into a different rune, but I'm not sure how you could program for that. I agree that it's incredibly frustrating to have runes break on you (especially when you just need a couple more to finish) especially when you've earned it through contributing to someone AW, but the randomness is a part of the game. :(

turfboss

Are the Rune Shards truly random or do certain provinces generally produce one type of rune over another?? I ask because I have not received a Rune Shard for my Tome of Secrets (not that I care because it is basically a useless AW - just takes up space and does little in the way of help (at least from what I can determine so far.).

By the way, terminology is really important here especially for new players - the Wiki clearly states that the runes which were in the AW were lost and are referred to as Rune Shards (you never get a Rune - you only ever get a Rune Shard) - and if that Rube Shard fits into its predetermined slot in the Rune circle it will fill that slot - else it will break into even smaller shards - called a Broken Rune Shard - and those pieces go into the Broken Shard bar (in each and every researched AW) until 10 such pieces automatically form a Rune Shard for one of the missing slots.

There are three parts to the magic here (1) is that the 10 broken shard pieces from 10 random awarded or won Rune Shards always forms a Rune Shard which will fill a slot in the respective AW circle for which the broken shard is the 10th piece to fill the Broken Shard Bar and (2) the Broken Rune Shards fill the Broken Shard Bar in each and every AW which you have researched up to that point and hence provides multiple chances to form a Rune Shard which will automatically fill a slot in the AW Rune circle for which the last Broken Shard fills the Broken Shard Bar in that respective AW for which the Rune Shard was attempting to be inserted into the circle.

The confusion for new players (based on the questions and comments from our "Newer" Low score fellowship players) is the interchangeable use of the word Rune (or rune shard) as used by travelstovegas above - and the complaint that when one contributes KP to an AW and wins top spot he wants a full Rune not a "Measly Rune Shard" - what he means is that he does not want to be awarded a Rune that breaks (or has the posibility of breaking) when one attempts to insert the awarded Rune Shard into the appropriate AWs Rune Circle. The Wiki clearly states that a Rune slot is activated in the Rune Circle by inserting the appropriate Rune Shard - if the Rune Shard received does not fit into a slot (because it is already filled or is not the appropriate Rune Shard for any of the open slots) it will break (again) and goes into the Broken Rune Shard Bar until the 10 pieces do in fact form a Shard which will fill a slot.

The programming here is pretty sophisticated to begin with and it was obviously not in the devs plans to award these Rune Shards based on how or where you won it. Notwithstanding the fact that the devs design did not (does not) include this type of special award just because you contributed a lot of KP to someone elses AW modifying the software at this point might entail some pretty severe changes. I find that people who complain all the time about what does not work to their desires and satisfaction just might not understand that the way this game is designed forces you to have patience and make decisions about where you want to place your efforts in building and managing your city.

Last edited by a moderator:

mucksterme

Oh Wise One
Didn't read the long posts but
You do realize the shard is the big piece that fits in the wheel, right?
the little pieces that have to add up to ten are broken shards.

Gath Of Baal

Also there is no broken shard line for each wonder.. The line is for all your wonders.. If you are trying to make a golden abyss and break a rune and the broken shard goes into the line, that line is not solely for the runes you broke on the golden abyss but can work on any wonder when you hit 10 broken shards.. To use the broken shards to forge a rune that will be guaranteed to fit any wonder you must first be on the wonder page you want the rune to fit into..

Example:
you break 5 runes on the golden abyss giving you 5 broken shards in the line
then you break 5 more runes on the tome of secrets giving you 10 broken shards in the line and now the ability to forge a rune
you need 1 more rune for your mountain halls to fill the wheel and build it, so you go to the wonders page of the mountain hall and use the broken shards to forge a rune that will finish your mountain halls since is is guaranteed to fit

I think some of the confusion is that people think they have to break 10 runes for that wonder they are trying to build to be able to forge a rune for that wonder, when the case is, any 10 broken shards work that you broke from any wonder.. There is only 1 broken shard line for all your wonders and not 1 broken shard line for each wonder.. which makes the fact now that broken shards are being given out in tournaments makes it a lot easier to forge runes that will fit.

SoggyShorts

Mathematician par Excellence
Are the Rune Shards truly random or do certain provinces generally produce one type of rune over another?
Random, but other than fellowship tournament rewards you will only get runes for wonders you have unlocked.
The confusion for new players (based on the questions and comments from our "Newer" Low score fellowship players) is the interchangeable use of the word Rune (or rune shard)
The terminology is indeed poorly done. We should completely get rid of one word: shards

There are Runes which you can try to put into your wonder wheel, but they may break resulting in Broken Runes.
Much simpler imo.
Maybe it's too late and we need to use the terms Whole Runes and Broken Rune Shards to be clear on which we are discussing.

mucksterme

Oh Wise One
Soggy Panties" said:
The terminology is indeed poorly done. We should completely get rid of one word: shards

Yes I have seen that cause confusion on here many times.
A "newb" asks a question about runes and you get a bunch of people trying to be helpful but using the wrong terms.
And the poor newb is like, "But I do not see that anywhere on my page. :'( "

Yes - reading the long post would have made that abundantly clear -

Except you aren't the person who said they were frustrated and confused are you?
And if I was replying to you in another person's thread I would have quoted you or said, " " @turfboss" wouldn't I?