• Dear forum visitor,

It looks as though you have not registered for a forum account, or are not signed in. In order to participate in current discussions or create new threads, you will need to register for a forum account by clicking on the link below.

Click here to register for a forum account!

If you already have a forum account, you can simply click on the 'Log in' button at the top right of your forum screen.

Your Elvenar Team

Speedier Barracks?

Dew Spinner

Again, compared to your zero contributions? You haven't a leg to stand on.
Wasn't saying I did, just putting some actual facts out there. I know the old timers like to look the other way when other old timers are involved. Thats how a nice hostile envioronment on the forum is maintained by the old timers!

shimmerfly

@Dew Spinner Why so defensive?
And Who are you callling old?
Me thinks you complain a lot about those that have gone before you?
If you are rude to anyone you will get called out. We've all kept this forum free from that.
I hope you can enjoy yourself a bit more.

ajqtrz

Chef - loquacious Old Dog
I have seen the opposite, sorry.

And thus we have the crux of the matter. People's memories of their experiences are usually "summarized" in some sort of feeling or attitude. Often that's what's being expressed and who is to say they shouldn't feel that way? Maybe they should, maybe they shouldn't. In the world of decision making that's called and intuitive understanding while those who actually track things with numbers are using a more deductive approach. Both are useful, but, in the long run, deductive approaches usually offer a more accurate, though often more narrow, answer. Intuition is what you use when you say, "I'm not a numbers person," so there's always a bit of slippage between one persons intuition and another persons.

So, in the end, Lelanya might be totally right in what she says, or totally wrong. Dew's intuition says the opposite of others, but who is to know? That's why, in the interest of keeping things out of the realm of conflict and thus making thing easier on all, it's probably best to ignore such intuitive judgements about others, and stick to the subject at hand, with or without all the math, as you please.

Just my (intuitive) thoughts. And they could be wrong.

AJ

Iyapo1

All personal attacks and intuition aside adding 4 AW levels and 1 expansion did not cause this:
1 week ago I was Tournying up to 24 to 30 provinces. Since then I upgraded 4 AW levels and added 1 expansion and now I cannot even get to province 13.

Which makes the comment below wrong as the comment below was a response to the comment above!

Oh hon it's the expansion that's killing you. Shoulda stuck by me, I'd have told you that :p
I am not sure why @Dew Spinner has an expectation of perfection from @Lelanya but givin everyone's occasional wrongness it is unreasonable.

Lelanya

Scroll-Keeper, Keys to the Gems
So Gkyr and I were fellowshipping together, and the remark is a follow up to a conversation we'd been having over time. Some of Gkyr's issue is a response to the change in damage calculations that was mentioned in my thread Battle Changes, some of it stems from the clear issue that expansions cause the greatest increase in opposition. I am not going to chase down references, but I suspect my data comes primarily from the EN server in one fashion or another - ie, their tournament feedback thread, tedious to read if you haven't kept up, and a couple whales I'm friends with there.

I have Dew Spinner on ignore for very good reasons. Every dialog gets dragged out, no opinion ever seems to serve ... Forums are supposed to be a place to exchange ideas or give feedback in a positive fashion, and I just wasn't feeling the love in certain conversations. Rather than be hounded off like @Ashrem was, I have chosen a different path, one where I can continue to guide without regular infusions of bile. RL is stressful enough (although it appears I will be getting 2nd Vax soon!). Anything else I say will not be positive, and that would be against Forum rules.

Iyapo1

some of it stems from the clear issue that expansions cause the greatest increase in opposition.

I thought this was correct until a recent post sent me back to Minmax's calculator.
Related.... SoggyShorts do you still have your Golden Abyss?
I finally got around to calculating the cost of both GA and residences in terms of spire/tourney difficulty, and I find that the GA wonder is a more expensive source of population than residences (let alone hybrid buildings), so now I'm probably going to destroy my (albeit only level 6) GA. I imagine you've made the same calculation - do you come to the same conclusion?
Sure!
I'm using MinMax Gamer 's Spire/Tournament difficulty calculator with my city inputs (Ch 11, 92 AW levels, 105 expansions and 5k gems for next premium). I also make a mock city with one more expansion, and another with one more AW, to find the rate of change of difficulty with respect to these two variables. This tells me:
Each additional AW level increases difficulty by 0.235%
Each additional expansion increases difficulty by 1.04%, so a single square is worth 0.0415%

My GA (9 squares, level 6) therefore increases difficulty by 1.78%. It provides 3865 population, for 0.46% difficulty increase per 1k pop.
A residence (15 + 4.2 culture tiles) increases difficulty by 0.797%, and provides 2200 population, for 0.36% difficulty increase per 1k pop.

A few comments:
  1. I don't count roads in the size. This is typically an oversight, but probably represents optimal play for residences.
  2. As above, event buildings are considerably more space-efficient than residences, which makes the GA look even worse
  3. At level 1, GA is maximally-efficient and is just slightly worse than a residence. At level 30 it's twice as bad.
  4. I haven't thought at all about how GA scaling could improve at later chapters, but would happy plug some numbers into my spreadsheet if you'd like.

Not posting to encourage expansion placement, as that can never be undone and they do increase costs.

Edit: Basically boils down to 1:6.... 1 regular expansion will increase costs almost as much as 6 AW levels. Expansions clearly cost more than 1 AW level. But AW levels are like lays potato chips.

Last edited:

Gkyr

Chef
@crackie , I am the lowest ranking member in the highest ranking FS in our server. Comparing me to players who have played three times as long with a point spread of 1.7 Mil is probably comparing apples to carrots (I'm in Halflings). Brown and Polar Bear and timewarps likely compensate for a lot of expansions.

I mislead you, I'm afraid. It seems that there is not a linear progression of difficulty in rounds per province or in provinces per round for me, anyway. I would be interested to know if you or any other player has this experience regularly: I hit a sound defeat (I surrender early - remember, I am risk averse) that is likely due to a limitation in my battle style.

Regarding province 13, I got wiped out using Golems and Archers (I had an ELR but no MMM) but I went back with Blossoms, Sorceresses and a Golem and soundly won - only to find the rest of the provinces were easy with Golems alone or with Archers, so I'm back up to prov. 23 (round one) but falling back to prov. 20, now. That is more a difference in keeping with the supposed effect of the expansion. Perhaps?
Even so, I just diamonded another premium expansion because they had the special going on - also like potato chips, but I need it to start my Bear Phase (fanfare).

crackie

Chef, Scroll-Keeper, Buddy's #1 Fan
That is more a difference in keeping with the supposed effect of the expansion. Perhaps?
Remember, the expansions, techs, wonder levels, etc. are affecting stack size required to go into battle with. It will create an overall larger dead body pile, but it wouldn't affect the "difficulty" within fighting the encounter itself. The battle algo change you referenced would though bc it requires more whacks to kill an enemy under certain combos (and therefore, adds to the dead body count if the enemy lives longer). If you suddenly can't fight prov 14 bc you ran out of troops before you get there, that would be an indicative symptom of CAL kicking your ass. If it suddenly feels like you're fighting with foam sticks, that's more indicative of a battle algo change.

Dew Spinner

Came through with a broom and swept away some of the personal attacks. Please stay on topic and refrain from being jerks to each other.
Too bad that wasn't done more often, lots of "personal attacks' either missed or ignored!