• Dear forum visitor,

It looks as though you have not registered for a forum account, or are not signed in. In order to participate in current discussions or create new threads, you will need to register for a forum account by clicking on the link below.

Click here to register for a forum account!

If you already have a forum account, you can simply click on the 'Log in' button at the top right of your forum screen.

Your Elvenar Team

Speedier Barracks?

Gladiola

My city is new (still in chapter 4 but coming up on 5), and is pretty compact (I just popped in a 21st expansion today because of sale and ... lays potato chip effect). What I've noticed having the biggest effect on the size of my stacks so far is the relic boost and squad size upgrades. I'm not saying other people are wrong about how the formula works, but I'm guessing that different things have more of an effect at different points in the game (either because of math such as maybe a "(# expansions - X)" instead of "# expansions" somewhere in the formula or just because some variables grow faster than others at various points of the game, such as relic boost not growing past 700%).

So for example we just finished the elixir tournament. My boosts are marble, crystal, and elixir. My elixir boost grew substantially to become my highest boost at 592% and I had one squad size upgrade (a 33% increase from 90 to 120) as well as two main hall upgrades (these are not found in the formula, but we don't know for sure there is no effect), but no other substantial changes to my city (this is before I popped on the expansion). I have no AWs yet. I observed that the convince cost in Spire and battle stacks were close to twice as big as they had been the previous week.

Unfortunately I'm doing two more squad size upgrades this week, so we won't be able to determine whether that extra expansion had a significant effect on tourney and Spire costs.

Edit: The ironic thing is that Spire and tournament don't cost t3 goods for me yet, so my Elixir relic boost is only penalizing me without directly helping me. (I could cross tier trade for other goods but I prefer not to.) I've actually passed up some elixir relics in my MA to avoid making my elixir boost even larger in comparison to my t1 and t2 boosts. This is something that the new tournament relic format will help with -- keeping t1, t2, and t3 boosts for a given player more even. I wonder whether that is part of the thinking behind the decision.

Last edited:

crackie

Chef, Scroll-Keeper, Buddy's #1 Fan
Remember, there are mandatory squad size techs in the tech tree as well as optional squad size techs. I believe the mandatory squad size techs WILL increase your stack size because it's part of the tech component of the equation, but the optional squad size techs will most definitely not. I found the video where they explicitly talks about difficulty adjustments in new tourney format where they removed squad sizes from tourney calculations (starts at 3:30). In the old format, squad size played the central role in determining stack size so people who did the optional squad size techs were hurt by it in tourney. Devs decided to give us a break on not having us shoot ourselves in the foot doing optional things. Now squad sizes don't play the central role it once did in influencing stack sizes used.

Bearded Guy from Video said:
...So we moved completely away from player squad size. This means your squad size won't have any effect anymore on how difficult the tournament is.

Iyapo1

as well as two main hall upgrades (these are not found in the formula, but we don't know for sure there is no effect)
We do know this. Minmax's calculator accurately predicts cost changes. City upgrades are not in the formula because they have no effect.

Edit for clarity: when I say city upgrades I mean actual building upgrades in city not tech tree upgrades.

Last edited:

Jikuyin

The formula for spire and tournament are the same. There are no quantities that affect Spire but not Tournament.

Frankly, I think this is poor game design. You reduce player choice by leaving only one parameter to optimize for.