• Dear forum visitor,

It looks as though you have not registered for a forum account, or are not signed in. In order to participate in current discussions or create new threads, you will need to register for a forum account by clicking on the link below.

Click here to register for a forum account!

If you already have a forum account, you can simply click on the 'Log in' button at the top right of your forum screen.

Your Elvenar Team

Storm or Aureate? Decisions, decisions.

Enevhar Aldarion

Oh Wise One
Is the fire part of the rotation in the MA? I've never seen it, but that's great if it is. I have the complete chess set in inventory as well as the phx, but not the may tree base. I should have been able to see it at least once, I think, but I could be wrong.

Yes, all four Phoenix are. I forgot to include the Coldfire in my list above. If you are sure you never see one of them, are you also sure it is not already hiding in your inventory?

Darielle

Chef, Scroll-Keeper, and Buddy Fan Club Member
Yes, all four Phoenix are. I forgot to include the Coldfire in my list above. If you are sure you never see one of them, are you also sure it is not already hiding in your inventory?
I don't have it now, (I only have 7 pages of inventory so not too much to go through), but I'll certainly keep looking for the fire in the future. Thanks!

Fayeanne

I don't have it now, (I only have 7 pages of inventory so not too much to go through), but I'll certainly keep looking for the fire in the future. Thanks!

Didn't you say you have already placed and leveled a Fire Phoenix? It won't show up in crafting if you already have one built.

Darielle

Didn't you say you have already placed and leveled a Fire Phoenix? It won't show up in crafting if you already have one built.
Ah, so THAT's why I don't get another fire in crafting. I thought someone suggested I get a second fire. I didn't have one in inventory, so that's why I thought they meant it would show up in crafting, but yes, I have one down. Okay, thanks for clearing that up.

Kekune

I have a Storm Phoenix in addition to my fire. I rarely feed it, but it's helpful during FAs and when I need sentient goods in a pinch. I like that it boosts anything I can put an MM spell on. Plus, it looks cool. The aureate looks like a big yellow duck.

Fayeanne

Ah, so THAT's why I don't get another fire in crafting.

Yeah, this is the developers' attempt at making sure everyone has only one of each Phoenix. The reason some cities have more is because during the original event, it was possible to get multiple bases by cycling through the quest line.

I'm not a big fan of the Aureate's appearance either, which is a shame (it looks awesome as an egg--you have to watch it animate). But I have one in one city, and it's even a chapter behind, and a single collection from it is sufficient to fulfill one of those "Standard Goods" quests in the events. For what it's worth. This is one of the pet buildings where its normal production is arguably more useful than its feeding effect. Which is fine by me as it saves Pet Food.

So I guess if you don't intend to feed them, the question between Storm or Aureate becomes whether you need supplies or T1 goods more...

Enevhar Aldarion

Oh Wise One
Yeah, this is the developers' attempt at making sure everyone has only one of each Phoenix. The reason some cities have more is because during the original event, it was possible to get multiple bases by cycling through the quest line.

That was actually during the Bears, with the never-ending quests. I think for the Phoenix, people had to actually buy the event currency to keep opening chests and getting the artifacts/grand prizes.

Darielle

I'm not a big fan of the Aureate's appearance either, which is a shame (it looks awesome as an egg--you have to watch it animate). But I have one in one city, and it's even a chapter behind, and a single collection from it is sufficient to fulfill one of those "Standard Goods" quests in the events. For what it's worth. This is one of the pet buildings where its normal production is arguably more useful than its feeding effect. Which is fine by me as it saves Pet Food.

So I guess if you don't intend to feed them, the question between Storm or Aureate becomes whether you need supplies or T1 goods more...
With a high level Prosperity and 3 magic workshops, I think supply shortages are a thing of the past. I do like the standard goods more, and it seems to me that if people need help in the FA, the aureate would help with the bracelets just as much as the storm, especially if you have very few MMs. I tend to make CCs all the time and just rely on getting the MMs from tourneys. It's still a tough decision though.

samidodamage

Buddy Fan Club member
especially if you have very few MMs. I tend to make CCs all the time and just rely on getting the MMs from tourneys.
I had not thought of this part of the equation, but you're absolutely right; having a surplus of MM's is a must. Like you, I also make only CC's in my MA, but being in a 10chest/wk FS in both cities means I get loads of MM's from tourneys every single week for a long time now. Playing slowly through chapters also means that I had a stockpile of them before entering Sentient chapters where I tend to use more of them, but that is in spurts, not consistently putting MM spells on sentient factories. I have 900+MM's in one city and 1100+ in the other, so that's also why the Storm was more appealing to me. It would also depend on availability of pet food for crafting. As someone who has also developed a good supply of those, the Storm works for me. If pet food was a challenge, I'd also look more at the base rewards of an unfed bldg.

Darielle

I had not thought of this part of the equation, but you're absolutely right; having a surplus of MM's is a must. Like you, I also make only CC's in my MA, but being in a 10chest/wk FS in both cities means I get loads of MM's from tourneys every single week for a long time now. Playing slowly through chapters also means that I had a stockpile of them before entering Sentient chapters where I tend to use more of them, but that is in spurts, not consistently putting MM spells on sentient factories. I have 900+MM's in one city and 1100+ in the other, so that's also why the Storm was more appealing to me. It would also depend on availability of pet food for crafting. As someone who has also developed a good supply of those, the Storm works for me. If pet food was a challenge, I'd also look more at the base rewards of an unfed bldg.
I currently have 11 MMs (edit: 11 plus whatever I got from the tourney today; haven't checked yet) so I guess I'm at a disadvantage there. I have a lot more pet food, but I like to save it for my fire and brown bear. Still, I'd probably feed either a storm or aureate during the FA. I am leaning toward the aureate.

Enevhar Aldarion

Oh Wise One
I currently have 11 MMs (edit: 11 plus whatever I got from the tourney today; haven't checked yet) so I guess I'm at a disadvantage there. I have a lot more pet food, but I like to save it for my fire and brown bear. Still, I'd probably feed either a storm or aureate during the FA. I am leaning toward the aureate.

To put my Phoenix into more context. After the 2019 Phoenix event and the following FA, I had enough artifacts to max the Fire and put out the Storm at level 6. During the 2020 Phoenix event, I got enough artifacts to max the Storm and have 3 left over. I do not think I even fed the Storm once until I was into chapter 14, and it was still level 6 at that time. That 30% boost to the MM bonus, especially when I applied it to productions I collected and used right before the nightly decay, saved me many days of sentient production. The funny thing is that I have fed it less often after getting it to level 10 because the last couple of chapters had other things to slow you down than waiting to get sentient goods. I also don't need to use it during FAs because my fellowship only worries about completing one path per stage, so the new version of the bracelet is not an issue for us. Going back to the comparison, if you only look at the 48 hour collections, a level 10 Aureate is good for one bracelet badge per collection, for me in chapter 17, but not enough on it's own to complete any of the event goods collection quests. And since I am loaded with tier 1 goods, the mana and 2 KP from a level 10 Storm is worth more to me. But having to choose does not matter to me any more, as I only need one more artifact from the Spire to have all three at max level.

And now that I have my Aureate out, I can more easily compare the feeding bonuses.

Screenshot (32).png

The AW boost is a level 11 MH, the pet boost is the 250% from a level 9 Aureate and the enchantment bonus is the 125% total from MM, level 13 ETC, and level 10 Storm. The Aureate only gives bonus goods using the regular production, as 3225 is 250% of 1290. The MM/ETC/Storm combo gives a bonus on all other sources of goods. That 18,093 is 125% of the other four numbers added together. So the MM and fed Storm will always give a lot more goods than just the fed Aureate. Also, the Aureate does not give extra boosted sentient goods when fed, only normal boosted goods, while the Storm works on any goods you place an MM on. That makes Storm easily the winner when making sentient goods.

And yes, I burned two pet food and two MMs to check all the numbers. :)

Edit: made a small correction. ETC for this is level 13, not level 11.

Last edited:

SoggyShorts

Mathematician par Excellence
@Enevhar Aldarion
So if I've go this right:

11,249 no MM no pet
19,404 with MM no pet
25,310 with MM with Storm (30% increase over just the MM)
22,629 with MM with Auerate (16% over just the MM)

S, the level 10 storm is almost twice as good as the level 9 Auerate, BUT only when an MM spell is active, so the question is somewhat straight forward:

"Do you have an MM spell active on ALL of your factories at least HALF of the time?" (or half of your factories all of the time etc)
If yes, Storm gives more goods
If no, Aureate gives more goods.

Not counting Sentients, which is a significant factor as you said.

For secondary consideration the KP vs T1 is situational I suppose. I don't buy a lot of KP with goods so my next one costs 12,000 and if I used the T1 from the Auerate to buy 900 KP my cost would go up to 30K per at which point the storm becomes better with 2 free KP.
Now obviously there is some advantage to KP now vs in a year since the Auerate would start off at 5 KP every 48h vs 2 from Storm.

and finally some mana and supplies from storm again pretty situational.

Enevhar Aldarion

Oh Wise One
Not counting Sentients, which is a significant factor as you said.

This was a big part of the reason I went for Storm over Aureate, since I was already into sentient goods when we first got the Phoenix. I think the description of the Aureate that was used on the forums for it was it was a good bird for new players, because of the tier 1 and bonus normal goods when fed, and the Storm was for the advanced players who did not need the tier 1, but who could really use the extra sentient goods.

Darielle

To put my Phoenix into more context. After the 2019 Phoenix event and the following FA, I had enough artifacts to max the Fire and put out the Storm at level 6. During the 2020 Phoenix event, I got enough artifacts to max the Storm and have 3 left over. I do not think I even fed the Storm once until I was into chapter 14, and it was still level 6 at that time. That 30% boost to the MM bonus, especially when I applied it to productions I collected and used right before the nightly decay, saved me many days of sentient production. The funny thing is that I have fed it less often after getting it to level 10 because the last couple of chapters had other things to slow you down than waiting to get sentient goods. I also don't need to use it during FAs because my fellowship only worries about completing one path per stage, so the new version of the bracelet is not an issue for us. Going back to the comparison, if you only look at the 48 hour collections, a level 10 Aureate is good for one bracelet badge per collection, for me in chapter 17, but not enough on it's own to complete any of the event goods collection quests. And since I am loaded with tier 1 goods, the mana and 2 KP from a level 10 Storm is worth more to me. But having to choose does not matter to me any more, as I only need one more artifact from the Spire to have all three at max level.

And now that I have my Aureate out, I can more easily compare the feeding bonuses.

View attachment 9174

The AW boost is a level 11 MH, the pet boost is the 250% from a level 9 Aureate and the enchantment bonus is the 125% total from MM, level 11 ETC, and level 10 Storm. The Aureate only gives bonus goods using the regular production, as 3225 is 250% of 1290. The MM/ETC/Storm combo gives a bonus on all other sources of goods. That 18,093 is 125% of the other four numbers added together. So the MM and fed Storm will always give a lot more goods than just the fed Aureate. Also, the Aureate does not give extra boosted sentient goods when fed, only normal boosted goods, while the Storm works on any goods you place an MM on. That makes Storm easily the winner when making sentient goods.

Hmm ... yes, your argument is compelling, but I keep going back and forth. I would like to figure out how much those numbers would change if you took away the ETC, which I'm not planning to get anytime soon. But yes, the sentients are a factor. I've just started trading in sentients this chapter, so that's a consideration.

So I'm back where I started, lol. I'm going to have to do a comparison chart for elementals for each phoenix without a pet food boost, just the normal things. Since storm gives kp and mana and? ... And aureate gives t1 and? ... I'd probably go with the best one there. I guess I have some research to do.

AtaguS

I have a little baby storm phoenix, after much of the same deliberation you are doing...and thanks to the spire. Neither were really all that useful to be honest, so I went for the mana and kp...and may just keep him at level 6 because he's adorable at that level and gives enough mana to earn his keep.
Screenshot 2021-02-20 090019.png

Alpha Lyrae

View attachment 9174

The AW boost is a level 11 MH, the pet boost is the 250% from a level 9 Aureate and the enchantment bonus is the 125% total from MM, level 11 ETC, and level 10 Storm. The Aureate only gives bonus goods using the regular production, as 3225 is 250% of 1290. The MM/ETC/Storm combo gives a bonus on all other sources of goods. That 18,093 is 125% of the other four numbers added together. So the MM and fed Storm will always give a lot more goods than just the fed Aureate. Also, the Aureate does not give extra boosted sentient goods when fed, only normal boosted goods, while the Storm works on any goods you place an MM on. That makes Storm easily the winner when making sentient goods.

Thank you for giving me everything I need to place the pretty blue one. ;)

Enevhar Aldarion

Oh Wise One
Hmm ... yes, your argument is compelling, but I keep going back and forth. I would like to figure out how much those numbers would change if you took away the ETC, which I'm not planning to get anytime soon. But yes, the sentients are a factor. I've just started trading in sentients this chapter, so that's a consideration.

The ETC at level 13 is adding 25% to the bonus from the MM and the MM now lasts 19 1/2 hours. But yeah, a low level ETC will not do much. It is one of the AWs that need to be leveled a decent amount before you really see the benefit.

SoggyShorts

Mathematician par Excellence
But yeah, a low level ETC will not do much. It is one of the AWs that need to be leveled a decent amount before you really see the benefit.
I think it was great even at level 4.
The change from 13h MM spells to 16 is quite significant.
Assuming 8h a day of AFK time it means that your MM spell lasts from when you wake up right until you go to sleep, effectively an entire day.
This was a big part of the reason I went for Storm over Aureate, since I was already into sentient goods when we first got the Phoenix.
Understandable, and it's still weird for me to think that has zero impact on my city now. For the super rare occasion that I need to convince in my city my 1 of each sentient factory build is more than enough, and I have no need to use MM on them.
If I did decide to go through the last chapter it would help for a little while, but then I'd catch up and it would again have no impact for several months until the next chapter was released.

So at some point, for any end-game player the only thing that producing extra sentient goods does is get you to the point where it does nothing sooner:p