• Dear forum visitor,

It looks as though you have not registered for a forum account, or are not signed in. In order to participate in current discussions or create new threads, you will need to register for a forum account by clicking on the link below.

Click here to register for a forum account!

If you already have a forum account, you can simply click on the 'Log in' button at the top right of your forum screen.

Your Elvenar Team

Tired of everything getting bigger and bigger

I have just started Halflings and I think this will be my last chapter as I hear that the upcoming Elementals want me to build more kinds of factories...I don't have room for what I have, let alone what I want...I don't get why every upgrade has to make them bigger and bigger...it is to the point that almost every building is taking up an entire expansion....not to mention how much space the guest races take up...like I seriously don't have 18 square expansions with nothing else to do with them.... I am tired of having to delete stuff I want to keep in order to make room for these ever growing residences, workshops and manufactories....same goes for the barracks, armories, mercenary camp and training camp.....I would love to have more ancient wonders out, but again, they are too big !!..............EVERYTHING DOESN'T NEED TO BE THAT FREAKING BIG !!

DeletedUser3507

Tell me about it I am 5 techs into Elementals, and had to do alot of reorganizing. And working on 6th.

DeletedUser

If they totally revamp the game, and make everything smaller...say, nothing larger than 3x3, we could have micro-cities. Imagine how much space we'd all have then. :eek: Maybe they could do that with the next guest race... We could have ant-people. Myrmekes...yeah, Ant People. So everything would have to be smaller. When you upgrade a building once it has hit 3x3, you build up, rather than out. At the end of the chapter, you get to decide whether or not you want to go back to full size, or remain small.

Just an idea.
Meh.png

DeletedUser

As @SoggyShorts would say there goes the challenge of the game.

In my scenario (if it were a serious suggestion) there would still be an element of challenge figured into the game. Really, I was pointing out that smaller is not necessarily better. Sure you'd have more space, more space to screw up in.

Can't have it all. Sorry.

And I'd like to add one vote into the tally for "prefer bigger buildings." Imagine workshops were still 2x2. Do you want to set 30 productions? Or set 5?

I prefer bigger buildings as well, I was actually just being a snot I guess. Having a rough week and I didn't come back and delete my post.

Xelenia

Ex-Team Member
:::Mod Hat Off::: :eek:

I can understand your frustration! You do have to remember though...one can always down size their city to meet the requirement of the welcoming guest races (I realize this is not your desire). The game does not necessarily require, for example, six of each Tier one manufacturing. As each building get bigger, you can typically drop down in numbers of some buildings. With each new guest race, I have outlined my needs versus my wants. I have found down sizing my wants made the game more enjoyable, even though less challenging, but my needs were met. For the worlds I require more challenges, I have kept my wants and accommodated my needs for a more challenging game play :) Essentially, it all comes down to your playing style. You can get through the chapters with significant culture event buildings (Sunshine anyone?) but that will have to come with the sacrifice of some other buildings. Unless you are like me, making it through the chapters with bare minimal culture because you enjoy doing significantly well in tournaments, and looking at your pretty wonders :) :oops:

~Xelenia

SoggyShorts

Mathematician par Excellence
I've thought quite a bit about why players feel there isn't enough space, and here's how I see it:
1. The player mentality of being a hoarder.
  • If a player has 5 Level 19 Gem factories, when they unlock level 23 the buildings produce 78% more gems. Yet many players attempt to keep and upgrade all 5 of them despite the fact that the need for gems does not increase by anywhere even close to 78%.
  • As an example, in chapter 12 the entire tech tree costs under 1 million of each tier, and yet some players have 9 million of each tier in the bank. We all like having a little extra cushion so that we can help our fellows, or in case of "emergency", but many take it to extremes.
2. The Magic building trap.
  • A premium player in the situation above may be getting a significant portion of their population from magic residences, and supplies from magic workshops. Those support the Gem factories. Often that player will upgrade magic residences and workshops the moment they unlock a chapter, giving them a nice push in ranking(more on this later), preparing them for everything they think they need in the new chapter. This is a trap though, as now they must keep and upgrade all 5 of those Gem factories or else have 1,000s of excess population and supplies. Reducing the number of magic buildings you have would feel like throwing away money, hence the "trap".
  • The same thing goes for premium culture buildings. These can greatly reduce your flexibility. When an event comes up, it is very easy for a player to nuke 2-3 willows and free up an equal number of expansions for a temporary turd town to help with quests. If you have a city with culture/mana buildings that you paid for, you will understandably be reluctant to remove them. The same goes for event buildings. Players work hard for these unique buildings, and since they often can never be replaced, we are again reluctant to remove them. This bring us to the next point: Artwork.
3. The Artwork
  • Something that drew many players to this game is the well designed pretty buildings. This can be an issue because players want to keep them forever, even once they progress and the efficiency of new buildings greatly outstrips the old. Event buildings are very often 3x4, 4x3, or 3x3, and with the frequency of events, replacing the old with the new should be fairly simple, but it isn't as we like to hold onto the old buildings for their looks, and the sense of accomplishment that they give us. The proof of this is in the 30+ threads asking for a storage feature over the last 18 months.
4. Culture
  • This is one of least well understood mechanics in the game. There is a cap of 170% on culture bonus not counting spells.
  • Where players often go wrong is that they will place culture buildings to reach that 170%, and then cast EE spells and ask for culture buffs from their FS. This leads to a massive waste of culture and efficiency.
  • If you are "naturally" already at 170% culture, and go over with buffs on Ensorcelled buildings you are getting the 5% bonus, but totally wasting the X,XXX culture that the visit is giving you. In that scenario you would be better of sitting at 160% culture and using the visits from your fellows to bring you up to 170% plus the 5% per visit. If you are still going well over 170%(not counting the 5%per visit), it would be better to start at 150% and use the visits to bring you up and just slightly over again.
  • This is sometimes compounded by the same players reaching the coin and supply capacity of their Mainhall, and then using the excess in the very inefficient wholesaler.
5. The Tournament
  • Late game players have access to 40+ provinces of each type, so there is almost no cap on how many goods you could spend each week. This gives the illusion that more goods production is always a lot better. The thing is that 20-60 more KP from doing extra provinces in the tournament won't necessarily help your city progress faster than having more space to devote to guest race buildings would.
  • If you are already getting 150-200 KP from the tournament, plus your hourly KP, province clearing KP, and any KP you might buy with coins, there's almost no way you can be putting it all into the tech tree consistently. This means you are using the excess KP on wonders. Wonders are obviously good, but other than the BTG, they don't help you avoid the bottleneck in your progress which is eventually guest race goods.
  • If you had 2 players with an equal number of expansions, the one who has 25% more guest race buildings can often move faster along the tech tree than the one who uses that space for more goods instead. Despite this, the guest race focused player would always have a lower score than the goods producing player, which brings us to Rankings.
6. Ranking Points
  • It has long been my opinion that the ranking system is flawed mostly because buildings that are more efficient don't give as many points as others.
  • Wonders like the EE, ToS, and PT can often produce far more supplies than a workshop, and yet having workshops instead will give you a higher score since the AW do not affect working population or required culture.
  • Event buildings that produce goods or supplies can also be better for your city than their normal counterparts, and yet they give zero ranking points.
  • Most of all, guest race buildings give zero score. This means that a player who has just a handful of settlement buildings and takes 4 months to finish a chapter is considered "better" than a city that is filled with them and is capable of completing the chapter in half the time.
  • Some players realize this early on and are able to ignore the ranking system, but it isn't easy as we naturally see a scoring system and assume it is a useful measurement of how well we are doing.

Last edited:

DeletedUser6368

I started Orcs about a month ago, I am sick on how long it takes for production. I have so many empty squares I screwed up my spacing somehow. I almost quit playing. Come on 40hrs to upgrade MH give me a break. I know of one player who left cause it takes too long build something, INNO/Elvenar has to take a look at this and change it, and or during weekly tourneys implement time boosts and no petty 30min, 5-8-14 hr time boosts is better, they are not thinking about players in higher chapters. I have a full list of changes that would benefit both parties.

DeletedUser3507

Wait to you hit Elementals
Screenshot_31.png

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser3468

If they totally revamp the game, and make everything smaller...say, nothing larger than 3x3, we could have micro-cities. Imagine how much space we'd all have then. :eek: Maybe they could do that with the next guest race... We could have ant-people. Myrmekes...yeah, Ant People. So everything would have to be smaller. When you upgrade a building once it has hit 3x3, you build up, rather than out. At the end of the chapter, you get to decide whether or not you want to go back to full size, or remain small.

Just an idea. View attachment 3535

:p Totally got that you were joking but still a part of me loves the idea! (Must be because we just rewatched AntMan and Captain America: Civil War) Hilarious idea! "Myrmekes"!!! Perfect!!! (look it up if you don't get why it's perfect!)

DeletedUser3507

Too much culture bah, I am down to 217k excess from 255k.
And @SoggyShorts I have stayed maxed for the past 3 chapter due to Magic Stuff.
And Oh I like it that way.

And with instants lol it even easier.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser3507

Oh but I want more, more, and more....:D:p:eek:

As we say it's a building game buildings take space

Besides what am I to do with the 5 expansions past my current maxed out city size?

DeletedUser5521

I started Orcs about a month ago, I am sick on how long it takes for production. I have so many empty squares I screwed up my spacing somehow. I almost quit playing. Come on 40hrs to upgrade MH give me a break. I know of one player who left cause it takes too long build something, INNO/Elvenar has to take a look at this and change it, and or during weekly tourneys implement time boosts and no petty 30min, 5-8-14 hr time boosts is better, they are not thinking about players in higher chapters. I have a full list of changes that would benefit both parties.
What may seem crazy to you is that in all 4 of my cities (3 in Elementals, 1 in Orcs), I have several 14-hour and 5-hour Time Instants left from the Winter Event, but I have used up ALL of my smaller Instants, and I really miss having them. I use them much more frequently than I do the bigger ones, and would love to receive more of them (the smaller ones). It seems to me a player really can't use a 14-hour Instant as often as he/she could use a smaller Time Instant, unless he/she really doesn't care about literally "wasting" time.. (pun intended :p )

DeletedUser3507

Megapolis maybe?
My total pop is close to 200k, 199,441 currently. that's no clearing in the forest..

DeletedUser

:p Totally got that you were joking but still a part of me loves the idea! (Must be because we just rewatched AntMan and Captain America: Civil War) Hilarious idea! "Myrmekes"!!! Perfect!!! (look it up if you don't get why it's perfect!)

Mythology is part of me blood and bone. You should see me on Beta. :D (I love both of those movies, by the way. Can't wait for Ant-Man & The Wasp.) I was going to go with Myrmidons, but I didn't want to be obvious. :p