• Dear forum visitor,

It looks as though you have not registered for a forum account, or are not signed in. In order to participate in current discussions or create new threads, you will need to register for a forum account by clicking on the link below.

Click here to register for a forum account!

If you already have a forum account, you can simply click on the 'Log in' button at the top right of your forum screen.

Your Elvenar Team

Feedback Ads Feedback thread

Lelanya

Scroll-Keeper, Keys to the Gems
If u don't click on the ads you don't have to watch them. Im not quite sure why people have such a problem with this. Would you rather the game not exist? That is where it is headed. If they don't make enough money they will simply end the game but people want to cry about an ad that you don't have to click on if you don't want to.
Apparently the Ads do just open on mobile.

Iyapo

Personal Conductor
Apparently the Ads do just open on mobile.
Not on my mobile. I have to click watch.
If I click on the film real drop, I get this image:
Elvenar_2023-06-19-13-20-51.jpg

If I click on the hobby room, I get this one:
Elvenar_2023-06-19-13-19-55.jpg

Can you give a link to those reporting autoplay?

Yogi Dave

On the browser, it had been that I had to click "Watch" to go to the dialog which told what the ad was about which had a 2nd "Watch" button if you wanted to go to the ad. Or you just had to wait for the 5s timer to end then click X to return and get your reward. Today, a few have gone straight to the ad, especially in the hobby room. With someone getting the horribly dangerous "computer compromised, click this link to fix it" shows how Inno is running with blinders on. But, hey no one representing Inno seems to even acknowledge they are seeing any of this.

Yogi Dave

If u don't click on the ads you don't have to watch them. Im not quite sure why people have such a problem with this. Would you rather the game not exist? That is where it is headed. If they don't make enough money they will simply end the game but people want to cry about an ad that you don't have to click on if you don't want to.
Easy to say, "Don't click on them." But you are more or less preaching to the choir since we are a tiny part of the Inno community. Many players don't have the computer savvy to not click. "After all, it's this game we love. Inno is looking out for us."

And yes, Inno does need to make money, but when the ads can be of the type I mentioned above, they become culpable to any damage done by the ads, regardless of the players interaction with the ads within the game. There needs to be a lot of work on how the ads are being handled or vetted or whatever before the ad feature is released. Given that it's released to some of us, it should be rolled back out of the game until Inno has some control over the ads. "Would you rather the game not exist?" Of course not. "That is where it is headed." So, we should accept the risk to our computer systems? I think not.

It's also strange that you say you don't have to watch them then turn around and say Inno might go away if we don't watch them. It's the clicking count which generates the revenue. If no one clicks, there isn't any revenue. I have to assume you watch them all so you can help keep Inno alive. Does an irresponsible company deserve to continue?

Silly Bubbles

You cant pop them all
Does an irresponsible company deserve to continue?

Do you mean that Google is irresponsible company or any website, game, video etc that has ads? Without ads most of the internet would be dead. It's up to us users to decide what survives and what doesn't. When we decide to keep playing this game and supporting it, it will survive. When we decide to not support it then it won't survive. We do have the power, Inno can do whatever they want, if we won't play and support it,
there won't be a game. So it's mainly up to us not Inno. They have done their bit and gave us a great game that can be played for free, now it's up to us to do our bit and make sure it survives.

Sprite1313

On the browser, it had been that I had to click "Watch" to go to the dialog which told what the ad was about which had a 2nd "Watch" button if you wanted to go to the ad.

I think this is the confusion between browser and mobile. You click the first "watch" on both. But to get the prize on mobile you actually have to sit through the whole ad (which doesn't always allow you to close it), whereas on browser you are taken to an additional window with a five second countdown. You get the prize if you wait the five seconds. That does not exist on mobile.

Yogi Dave

Do you mean that Google is irresponsible company or any website, game, video etc that has ads?
I was a bit depressed when I wrote that. Still am a bit over the direction things seem to be going in the game. I'll get over it. Deserve and gets to continue are different things. Many, many things in life are non-deserving but get to continue. And many things are deserving. ...waxing on philosophically in my brain.
,.. whereas on browser you are taken to an additional window with a five second countdown. You get the prize if you wait the five seconds.
True, on the browser you only have to wait 5s, but sometimes it goes straight to the ad skipping the 1st dialog. The ad still has the 5s timer. at least on the few I've seen, so it can be exited early. Having to watch the whole ad on mobile isn't good.

Deborah M

Oh Wise One
'I am not getting ads yet in my main city. I am getting them in a couple of alts and at least several cities in my FS are getting them. Still no complaints. Actually, the feedback about the reels has been positive. Those who play on PC are glad to get a daily bonus from that since they don't get the one other cities on mobile get daily in the shop. The others are a nice addition if/when we have the time. Everybody likes free stuff :)

SunsetDanar

I have them on app and browser for both of my cities. I don't believe them to be overly intrusive and you have the choice to take it or leave it. I have an ad blocker on my pc so if I choose to view them I must do so on the app which seems to be fairly common with those who have responded so far. I've watched a few that, for me, run from 15 to 30 seconds (no 5 second ones as some seem to be receiving).

For the most part, I don't venture into the dangerous ad jungle. Too many unexpected things can happen and they vary from the inconvenient to the catastrophic. The few that I have watched have completely irrelevant content for me. The 90s style kid games are not the type I play, I don't plan to purchase any female undergarments or panty liners anytime soon and Temu is scary with the baggage it carries. I pay annual premiums to some of my favorite websites not to have ads.

I understand the reasoning. Someone mentioned that Inno has invested 8 years of evolution in Elvenar. It's not all going to be great or even acceptable to all but it will remain as Inno has established it as standard. Everyone here has had an opinion on all of it and none of the opinions have led to change that everyone will accept as agreeable nor will it ever.

The layoffs at Inno are economy driven not game driven. Nothing about how the game of Elvenar has been managed is a contributing factor. It's a worldwide economical situation and not going to get better real soon. I have to chuckle at folks who believe that our respective countries' leaders can just "fix" it when, if fact, it is totally beyond their control.

The new players coming along, and there are many in my neighborhoods, will accept the current situation as their normal and there are a lot of normals within the game. Attrition is normal as well so for those of you who intend to go away because of the ads, or for any other reason...goodbye. For those of you just beginning the wonderful game of Elvenar, and reading all of this...welcome.

Yogi Dave

(no 5 second ones as some seem to be receiving).
The 5 seconds is a count down before you can exit the ad or the dialog telling what the ad will be, is not the length of the ad itself. I don't know how long the ads last since I always click out of them.
The layoffs at Inno are economy driven not game driven. Nothing about how the game of Elvenar has been managed is a contributing factor
Did someone say the layoffs were game driven or that management was a factor? I must have missed that post.

My problem has been that Inno isn't vetting the ads. Yes, you don't have to click, etc. Some would even say, "So what? Everyone gets what they deserve."
For the most part, I don't venture into the dangerous ad jungle. Too many unexpected things can happen and they vary from the inconvenient to the catastrophic.
The possibility of this happening is the problem with not vetting them. As one person said an ad they got said their system had been compromised and to click here to fix it.

Bottom line to me, is it'd unfortunately be very hard for Inno to directly vet them, but when the type of ad saying your system has been compromised gets through, there is a problem. I honestly don't expect there to be a change. After all they need the revenue which is seen by the layoffs.

Anyone who gets that type of ad should report it, but there are thousands of players out there with all different levels of understanding of computers. Those with the greatest understanding probably can deal with such an ad or won't even get it. Those who aren't computer savvy, just might click it to fix it.

I have to chuckle at folks who believe that our respective countries' leaders can just "fix" it when, if fact, it is totally beyond their control.
Politics? You including that line got a chuckle out of me.

SunsetDanar

Thanks Yogi. Just a couple of comments. I don't get the "reward granted" message until the ad has run its course so early exit gets no reward. Any problem with me making a point?

No, no one suggested otherwise, just my belief that layoffs were economy driven so my point and open for argument if deemed warranted.

So considering the hundreds or possibly more of ads available for inclusion here, it seems that a vetting staff would need to be included in the plans for having the ad program initiated to begin with. Possibly poor planning on the part of Inno but a valid point. The horses escaped before the barn door was closed and now perhaps too late for a proper fix. I understand this program to be a test so possibly it doesn't meet expectations...something that doesn't seem to have been considered by some so far?

SunsetDanar

Recent addition is a Tik-Tok ad that runs for 30 seconds and then takes you to a download store. You can't get out of it unless you get out of the game entirely. Once back in, if you click on the reel again, it gives you the same one without granting the so called treasure. I've tried to re-run it as many as 5 times and it just loops back to the same Tik-Tok ad. Don't know if you have to download something in order to satisfy the requirement. I haven't tried that and don't intend to.

Darielle

Chef, Scroll-Keeper, and Buddy Fan Club Member
I always click on the ads because I like the rewards. I've gotten 18 diamonds at least 8 times by now, plus some useful things like a rainbow unicorn, orcs, mana, seeds, etc. Sure, some rewards are garbage, but enough aren't that it's worth it. They never auto play ... I click on the reel, get a popup, and I click out in 5 seconds (one was a 10 second window, but it did give me diamonds.)

The only serious objection I have is when I clicked on an ad for a Buddhist retreat and got the big flashy, annoying "YOUR COMPUTER IS COMPROMISED! CLICK HERE TO FIX!" Ugh. I could not click out of it and had to reload the game. Extremely annoying. But like I say, it's happened once. I started getting the ads before the FA started, so it's been a while. Inno needs to vet the ads and make sure we aren't clicking on viruses. They should be able to do that rather than say "hey, it's not our faults."

I have had a couple ads freeze and then I had to reload the game. Overall, though, I think it's a net positive for me. I'm on PC so many that helps.

Sprite1313

I don't get the "reward granted" message until the ad has run its course so early exit gets no reward. Any problem with me making a point?
That is the difference between mobile and browser. On browser, when you click the first "watch" button you initially open a window that shows you what the ad will be. There is a five second delay before you can close the window, but you get the reward. On mobile, when you click the "watch" button, the ad plays. No initial five second preview.

I think that's why players keep saying the "ad just plays" when they are on mobile - no preview of the ad.

Silly Bubbles

You cant pop them all
The only serious objection I have is when I clicked on an ad for a Buddhist retreat and got the big flashy, annoying "YOUR COMPUTER IS COMPROMISED! CLICK HERE TO FIX!" Ugh. I could not click out of it and had to reload the game. Extremely annoying. But like I say, it's happened once. I started getting the ads before the FA started, so it's been a while. Inno needs to vet the ads and make sure we aren't clicking on viruses. They should be able to do that rather than say "hey, it's not our faults."

Have you reported the ad? There is an option in top left corner to do that (more info here). And yes, Google should be screening their ads, it might be a bit impossible for Inno to do it as the ads are customised to country and user.

I have had a couple ads freeze and then I had to reload the game. Overall, though, I think it's a net positive for me. I'm on PC so many that helps.

I had the same problem with video ads then I remembered that I had autoplay turned off. Once I turned it back on, the video ads worked ok. I haven't had a video ad for a while now so they might've stopped doing them.

Recent addition is a Tik-Tok ad that runs for 30 seconds and then takes you to a download store. You can't get out of it unless you get out of the game entirely. Once back in, if you click on the reel again, it gives you the same one without granting the so called treasure. I've tried to re-run it as many as 5 times and it just loops back to the same Tik-Tok ad. Don't know if you have to download something in order to satisfy the requirement. I haven't tried that and don't intend to.

This might be a screen resolution problem. On phones it's hard to be precise to close the ad, you can try to click outside of the ad for it to disappear.

Darielle

Chef, Scroll-Keeper, and Buddy Fan Club Member
Have you reported the ad? There is an option in top left corner to do that (more info here). And yes, Google should be screening their ads, it might be a bit impossible for Inno to do it as the ads are customised to country and user.
Yes, I reported it. Didn't hear anything back, but hopefully they're doing something about it. I never saw that particular ad again.

I don't (and will not) use autoplay since I detest it. But so far the ads are almost always working well.