• Dear forum visitor,

It looks as though you have not registered for a forum account, or are not signed in. In order to participate in current discussions or create new threads, you will need to register for a forum account by clicking on the link below.

Click here to register for a forum account!

If you already have a forum account, you can simply click on the 'Log in' button at the top right of your forum screen.

Your Elvenar Team

Are you happy with battling in Map and Tournaments?

• Yes

Votes: 4 22.2%
  • No

Votes: 14 77.8%

• Total voters

DeletedUser7002

I am a new member. I love this game! One of the biggest struggles I have had is with battles. I have read and seen the number of complaints about inability to win a battle. I have complained about it myself. Now, I read how you made tournaments better, 4 instead of 8 (great idea) and a little less lopsidedness in squads and fighters.

I have read everything I can find about strategies. I have watched battle strategies by letting the fight occur but computer finish the battle. I have learned a lot. I love battling, much more fun than negotiating. You say I am out of the "golden area" and too far ahead but by my chapter and opening the next chapter, I am not.

Today, I am highly upset. I got into tournaments, thinking I would be fighting alot. Blood Thirsty Wench that I am. Lo and Behold, what do I come up to? I'll tell you:
Battle: My squad of 69 theirs of 139 and they have 5 fighters, me too. No win possible. I had to negotiate. Why is that bad, well, you have an event going and it takes and gobbles up supplies like candy. I am Archmage in one city and made tournaments a requirement to participate in. 25 Ladies Laughing is a brand new group and as such has little resources. You want us to tournament more, read in forums. You want fellowships to be fun and close knit, not a problem there. If you don't allow us to win in battle, what fun is that? I had to negotiate that entire tournament and it cost plenty!

Some things are good, some things are bad. Your strategy with battling is not working. Give us a way to win battles. It is a great part of this game and I don't want to quit battling but it is no fun to spend all the tools to negotiate and then sometimes not have tools to negotiate because you spent them all on the last tournament.

Your strategy is wrong. If you want us to fight, give us a way to fight. Anyone enjoys winning rather than losing and your top ranked players are complaining out loud. Devs, please listen to all the people. If an idea doesn't work, scrap it and try again. I was having a great time doing the battles for the tournament, chair dances, whooping, hollering when I fought and won against some tough odds. In our FS we have bragging rights until the next tournament and I hope you come up with a way for Archmage and Mages to reward winners and people that play everyday. I will give of my own stuff, just allow me to do so. Encourage team work, friendship and fun. Gifts of coin or tools, other stuff that is available to us so that we can reward people and keep them interested in the battles.

Please fix this. This is a problem. Let us fight to win and battle another day. Please. If you read all this, Thank you, Sincerely, The Wizard McKinley

Mykan

Oh Wise One
Battle: My squad of 69 theirs of 139 and they have 5 fighters, me too.
How many stars had you completed in that province? I didn't think tournaments went to 200% squad size, and certainly not at 3 or 4 stars. Did you use diamonds to speed up the timer?

Unless it is a bug it can't be squad size for a tournament, most likely actual troop numbers so it is hard to tell unless you know what troops and their weight in each squad.

Fights are boringly easy to win in the right conditions. 5 of the same troop plus auto combat equals auto win. However there are several things that are common for people to lose and are not the right conditions:
  • Outside the expected zone (GZ) - possibly the most common complaint
  • Not provided with correct unit type - Era 1-3 towns and probably the next most common complaint
  • Poor troop selection - often combined with auto combat
  • Bad map
  • Bad AI - depends on certain things
  • Easy squad sizes (lets say for tournaments generally round 1-3)
Most of those are minor and/or within the players control/decision making. The second issue to me is the worst as it is completely beyond a persons ability to control in anyway. Any of the other issues without specific examples so they can rule out the player factor are not going to be fixed except perhaps the bad maps as they acknowledge that one.

SimplyNoble

Nothing about the tournaments is worth the effort. Negotiations are far too expensive for most players to negotiate and battles are too difficult to be effective either. To be honest I may start advocating for my fellowship to just abstain from participating. We have a wonderful group and having things we can achieve together is nice but not when it is costing us so much in goods that the lower ranking members can't make any headway.

DeletedUser3507

This is the first tourney I fought successfully in quite awhile took 5 stars at 9 provinces to almost wipe me out of Rock Golems.
So yes its getting better. lost 32 squads.

As for map I am so far past GZ that I ge4 nose bleed
Don't even try 10 to 1...

Last edited by a moderator:

mucksterme

Oh Wise One
Nothing about the tournaments is worth the effort. Negotiations are far too expensive for most players to negotiate and battles are too difficult to be effective either. To be honest I may start advocating for my fellowship to just abstain from participating. We have a wonderful group and having things we can achieve together is nice but not when it is costing us so much in goods that the lower ranking members can't make any headway.

I never understand this theory.
Does your FS require a level 1 player to match the participation of a level 8?
I am in two FS, and between them I am in opposite position for tournies.
In one I am always one of the top tourny participants. And I am constantly preaching at the newer players to at least do one province so they can get a piece of the prize pot.
In the other I just hit level 2 and feel no guilt doing the minimum and benefiting from the older cities.
They made the tourny a team effort.
If you play it as a team it is not onerous for any member.

SoggyShorts

Mathematician par Excellence
In one I am always one of the top tourny participants. And I am constantly preaching at the newer players to at least do one province so they can get a piece of the prize pot.
In the other I just hit level 2 and feel no guilt doing the minimum and benefiting from the older cities.

I'll give you three guesess as to which city joined my FS:rolleyes:
hehehe.

SimplyNoble

I never understand this theory.
Does your FS require a level 1 player to match the participation of a level 8?
They made the tourny a team effort.
If you play it as a team it is not onerous for any member.

Actually until today I didn't realise that the tourney has gotten a lot easier for lower level players. So now I do have to wonder what keeps them from joining in. Of course we don't expect level 1 players to do as much as level 8. But maybe we should even ask them to do more because for them it turns out to be much cheaper and easier.

In my FS we generally have 15-20/25 participating. We don't require it but do encourage everyone to do at least one province so they can get the rewards. And yet still we have those who consistently don't join in. These are otherwise fine players and good members so it isn't as if they are just inactive and disinterested.

My fellowship is now in the process of rethinking how those of us at higer chapters take part. The recent tourney had me flat out of the T1 goods required by day 3 and I was only doing 3 provinces. And I started out with a healthy stockpile.

Our chapter 4 and up players are considering doing less and just supporting those lower level players who want to and can. do more. In the long run it would be less expensive.

SoggyShorts

Mathematician par Excellence
Actually until today I didn't realise that the tourney has gotten a lot easier for lower level players. So now I do have to wonder what keeps them from joining in. Of course we don't expect level 1 players to do as much as level 8. But maybe we should even ask them to do more because for them it turns out to be much cheaper and easier.
Actually while the squad sizes went way down for low level players, catering increased by over 1000%, so I wouldn't expect much from your non-fighters.
We don't require it but do encourage everyone to do at least one province so they can get the rewards. And yet still we have those who consistently don't join in.
I sent an email to a FS member on the Beta server who is very small reminding them to clear 1 province. I told them we don't need the points, and I will supply all the goods for catering it.

Their reply? "I'm an AM in another server, I know how tournaments work."
Then the tournament ended a few hours later, and guess who got zero rewards?

There's just no cure for stupid.