• Dear forum visitor,

It looks as though you have not registered for a forum account, or are not signed in. In order to participate in current discussions or create new threads, you will need to register for a forum account by clicking on the link below.

Click here to register for a forum account!

If you already have a forum account, you can simply click on the 'Log in' button at the top right of your forum screen.

Your Elvenar Team

Balance the Battle!

DeletedUser43

There just isn't enough room in these boxes for all this evidence. Players at every single level are stuck now:

Players in the beginning:

" I started playing on the other server and you can win a little in the first areas but I just did one fight maxed out troop capacity and fighting just one type of fighter and yes I did use the right troops to attack and I lost them easily anyway, so yes its completely useless fighting anymore." https://en.forum.elvenar.com/index.php?threads/behind-the-scenes-battle-redesign.3037/page-9

I am new to this game, and I am hoping the battles get easier. Why is it so hard to win? I've done everything I can for my level, and it's still ridiculously hard. Please tell me this part of the game gets easier.

"I still have an open quest... fight and win encounters... a fortnight later - and can't, the odds in all open provinces are far to high against me - meanwhile I have spent so much resources on armouries and units that I don't have tier II goods yet to cater for encounters and I can't expand to upgrade for population and manufactories without buying with diamonds.... if the fights aren't winnable, we beginners will just give up."
https://en.forum.elvenar.com/index.php?threads/behind-the-scenes-battle-redesign.3037/page-9

Players in the middle:

"Out of morbid curiosity, I had a look. I am 151 instead of the 130 I "should" be at. The ratio is 1.8. I have pretty much zero chance, due to the mix of troops of the opponents. Mostly heavies with missile backup. Their missile backup is able to shrug off my missiles, I can't reach them through the heavies. No strategy will get you past that. So yes, Inno has succeeded in reducing the options people have." https://en.forum.elvenar.com/index.php?threads/behind-the-scenes-battle-redesign.3037/page-9

Players further in the middle:
No idea how the new fight system is considered better. Only a modest 267 provinces completed.
Im facing 2297 vs my pathethic 906. taking in over 20k damage at a goal with no way to reduce damage or reach the light melee units, the new combat system is encouraging more players to leave nothing else.
https://en.forum.elvenar.com/index.php?threads/behind-the-scenes-battle-redesign.3037/page-10

Players at the end: Well, you know none of us who have 300+ provinces can win anything.

Tournament fighters:

"Tournament fights wont be impacted by your province scouting (to our knowledge) as the ratio is fixed for each star level. Inno have stated this is the source of fighting designed for those who wish to do this while they wait for provinces."

"If this was the case, why am I now unable to win even more than a couple of first level tournament fights since the update, yet I could win every one I tried before?" https://en.forum.elvenar.com/index.php?threads/behind-the-scenes-battle-redesign.3037/page-9
"Same for me. If this is what the new fighting system is to be like, I will simply no longer bother with it at all. "

" I have turned my focus back to the tournaments, it wasn't like I was high up the ranks for tournaments week after week, but I was hoping to get to round 6 of at least the first 2 provinces. Is that too much to ask? Yes, it is because those fights are unwinnable, I've used the correct units and I've tried over and over again and I can't win, I can't afford to negotiate every single encounter either because "I've scouted too far" and so the costs become astronomical, and I'm only trying to do round 4... forget getting to round 6!"
https://en.forum.elvenar.com/index.php?threads/behind-the-scenes-battle-redesign.3037/page-10

"Also impossible to fight on tourneys after 3rd wave :|" https://en.forum.elvenar.com/index.php?threads/combat-changes.3389/

"When, in the tournament, a squad of 48 Crossbow level 2 now hits a squad of 16 Swamp Monsters ( against which the crossbows should have a 50% attack bonus ), and still only does 1 damage, repeatedly...well, it's seems we are not meant to be fighting this battle at all....especially with an enemy Cannoneer level 2 hiding in a far corner and picking off almost half a squad of my men every turn.
Time to go home, sit by the fire, lock the door against the orcs now wandering freely in my streets..... and wonder why the entire world of enemies suddenly tripled in strength - but I stayed the effectively the same." https://en.forum.elvenar.com/index.php?threads/tournament-fighting.3326/

They aren't happy in the international forums: https://en.forum.elvenar.com/index.php?threads/behind-the-scenes-battle-redesign.3037/page-9.
They aren't happy in France: https://fr.forum.elvenar.com/index.php?threads/refonte-du-système-de-combat-commentaires.5904/
They aren't happy in the Netherlands: https://nl.forum.elvenar.com/index.php?threads/nieuw-vechtsysteem-boycotten.2819/
https://nl.forum.elvenar.com/index....topic-herontwerp-gevechtssysteem.2646/page-20
They aren't happy in beta: https://beta.forum.elvenar.com/index.php?threads/discussion-behind-the-scenes-battle-redesign.5816/

This is not some tiny little issue with a few tiny little players. This is a BIG problem. I got tired of copying and pasting.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser4386

Yes I've given up trying to fight battles and loosing all my troops. I negotiate all the time now and keep the troops for parades and eye candy. It has impacted on my enjoyment of the game. I won't make a formal protest. I just won't be playing as much and will probably get back into tunes on my banjo again for a while

DeletedUser2522

Then please have them do so. Each voice on this subject is valuable and needed if Inno is to make the changes that are needed.
The way to get the battle system "fixed" is to tell those players to post specific examples of what they are facing with all the details that the devs asked for. Inno might not be willing to overhaul the system again, but they aren't beyond tweaks, and the more specific examples they have especially from players in the "acceptable" range of provinces the better.
"Fights are too hard, change them" will not accomplish anything.

Actually, I'm just done with all this bantering nonsense especially with people who are being compensated to disagree with us.

Come on guys the "entire world" is complaining about this being wrong, the Dutch are working on a Battle Boycott and you want to tell me that
the Devs don't understand why? Give me a break.
We need to give specific examples because the entire world of players is wrong and the Devs plus 2-3 people here are
right! Give me a break.
And FYI (well, you already know,) most average players want 'nothing' to do with coming to the forum as they are very aware that their comment
will be attacked and ridiculed which is extremely unfortunate but true.

I know many players that refuse to come here just to read, they ask for important info to be cut and pasted into a group message. You guys want them to come speak and then you drive them away!

DeletedUser4417

Actually, I'm just done with all this bantering nonsense especially with people who are being compensated to disagree with us.

Come on guys the "entire world" is complaining about this being wrong, the Dutch are working on a Battle Boycott and you want to tell me that
We need to give specific examples because the entire world of players is wrong and the Devs plus 2-3 people here are
right! Give me a break.
And FYI (well, you already know,) most average players want 'nothing' to do with coming to the forum as they are very aware that their comment

I know many players that refuse to come here just to read, they ask for important info to be cut and pasted into a group message. You guys want them to come speak and then you drive them away!
Oh lord. The ubiquitous claim of 'people being compensated to disagree.' You know that is heard a lot from people that just cannot fathom the possibility that people ~novelly~ do not agree with their opinion. But please, pray tell just what compensation are these people getting from Inno to disagree? Please, share with us that much.

The Devs are asking for specific examples because they need to know what they need to do to fix it because a complete roll back to the old system ain't happening. So that means they need to know what and where the areas are that need tweaking.

FYI.. you don't speak for most average players princeavery. Noone has been attacked, oh sure that falsehood has been spread by you and a few others that could be easily named but noone has been attacked for their opinions. Their position has been debated vigorously but that is a huge difference in the player being attacked.

DeletedUser4699

right! Give me a break.

You should take the time to read what you've posted. You are accusing people who aren't having the same issues you're having as being 'compensated to disagree with you.' You state the 'entire world' is complaining about the battle system.
I'm not saying you don't have valid issues. This entire thread is filled with valid issues. But by making such untrue blanket statements in an attempt to exaggerate your position does nothing but ridicule and attack those who are not sharing your same viewpoint. I have seen several others in this thread be able to state their problems with the new battle system without needing to resort to that type of sensationalist tactics.

For the record, I have not been compensated for this. My FS (which is part of this world you speak of) has not been immobilized by these changes. Yes, some of the game mechanics have changed. Some of us have adapted to these changes.
I know my post in this thread may be like a fly in a tornado, but I've said what needed to be said.

DeletedUser2963

province count per ring, might be a little off but not hugely, along with current number of provinces needed to get out of a chapter
ring1 6
ring2 12 chp1 10
ring3 24
ring4 42 chp2 30
ring5 60 chp3 50
ring6 84 chp4 70
ring7 114 chp5 100
ring8 144 chp6 130
ring9 180 chp7 160
ring10 222 chp8 190
ring11 264
ring12 312

"Goldilocks Zone" All Chapters. Players out number enemies in province and can win on auto if they
a) Only scout the number of provinces equal to the number on the chest at the end of the chapter they are in
b) Do not Scout outside the ring number they should be in.
Problem- This is not something anyone just playing the game could possibly know. We figured it out in here, but how is a regular player supposed to know it.

@WolfSinger really good idea, still would be a while for the 300+ people, but at least there would be light.

DeletedUser2870

As I stated before (strange, no reaction at all to that post by all the Inno-defenders) there technically is no 'too far ahead' since any province at any distance can be reached by people wanting to spend diamonds on getting there.
If someone wants to get to ring 25, or 35, or 50, by way of using diamonds that is possible. (up to the point where the cost of scouting is greater than the amount of coins that can be stored in the Main Hall, but frankly, I have no idea how far out that is).

So let's just quit the crap about saying to people they 'scouted too far ahead'. Technically they have very deliberately left open that option, meaning the whole point is that Inno wants people to slow down, but only the people who do not pay huge sums of money.

DeletedUser2522

You should take the time to read what you've posted. You are accusing people who aren't having the same issues you're having as being 'compensated to disagree with you.' You state the 'entire world' is complaining about the battle system.
I'm not saying you don't have valid issues. This entire thread is filled with valid issues. But by making such untrue blanket statements in an attempt to exaggerate your position does nothing but ridicule and attack those who are not sharing your same viewpoint. I have seen several others in this thread be able to state their problems with the new battle system without needing to resort to that type of sensationalist tactics.

Sensational? Exaggerated? Lost another fellow an hour ago due to the battle changes. Compensated, you're brand new here how can you comment on something you know zero about!
"the entire world?" why don't you go take a look at all the foreign forums before you open your mouth so that you know what you're talking about. How about that, there is a translator so you can read them!

Newer players are leaving, that's not exaggerated but it is sensational that it's being allowed to happen.

This person was in Chapter 3, we had been trying to get her through battles that at exactly where she should be and they can't be won.
They're frustrated because they came here for fun and found that this situation is anything but fun, no exaggeration!

Attachments

• marikeet2.jpg
    marikeet2.jpg
    421.7 KB · Views: 64

WolfSinger

province count per ring, might be a little off but not hugely, along with current number of provinces needed to get out of a chapter
ring1 6
ring2 12 chp1 10
ring3 24
ring4 42 chp2 30
ring5 60 chp3 50
ring6 84 chp4 70
ring7 114 chp5 100
ring8 144 chp6 130
ring9 180 chp7 160
ring10 222 chp8 190
ring11 264
ring12 312

"Goldilocks Zone" All Chapters. Players out number enemies in province and can win on auto if they
a) Only scout the number of provinces equal to the number on the chest at the end of the chapter they are in
b) Do not Scout outside the ring number they should be in.
Problem- This is not something anyone just playing the game could possibly know. We figured it out in here, but how is a regular player supposed to know it.

@WolfSinger really good idea, still would be a while for the 300+ people, but at least there would be light.

You beat me to it - I'm at work as got interrupted in creating my graph.

Your numbers are correct // although you're off on the chapter requirements - unless you're working from only completing that number during that chapter.

If you use my proposed changes to the requirements to opening the chapters this is what it would look like:

To open Chapter 2 - you have to have completed rings 1 and 2 (or equivalent # of provinces) - 12 provinces (10)
To open Chapter 3 - you have to have completed rings 3 and 4 (or equivalent # of provinces) - 42 provinces (30)
To open Chapter 4 - you have to have completed rings 5 and 6 (or equivalent # of provinces) - 84 provinces (50)
To open Chapter 5 - you have to have completed ring 7 (or equivalent # of provinces) - 114 provinces (70)
To open Chapter 6 - you have to have completed ring 8 (or equivalent # of provinces) - 144 provinces (100)
To open Chapter 7 - you have to have completed ring 9 (or equivalent # of provinces) - 180 provinces (130)
To open Chapter 8 (THE ORC CHAPTER) - you have to have completed ring 10 (or equivalent # of provinces) - 222 provinces (160)
(Ring 11 is where you are required to have orcs to do negotiations)
To open Chapter 9 - you have to have completed ring 11 (or equivalent # of provinces) 264 provinces (190)

Looking forward to future chapters

To open Chapter 10 - Ring 12 or equivalent - 312 provinces
To open Chapter 11 - Ring 13 or equivalent - 362 provinces

To figure further - you can do what I did - grab some hexagonal graph paper, markers and pens and find the rings.

However for those better at seeing patterns in numbers you can see the pattern here

Ring 1 - 6 Provinces
Ring 2 - 6 Provinces + 6 Cities = 12 total hexes
Ring 3 - 12 Provinces + 6 Cities = 18 total hexes
Ring 4 - 18 Provinces + 6 Cities = 24 total hexes
Ring 5 - 18 Provinces + 12 Cities = 30 total hexes
Ring 6 - 24 Provinces + 12 Cities = 36 total hexes
Ring 7 - 30 Provinces + 12 Cities = 42 total hexes
Ring 8 - 30 Provinces + 18 Cities = 48 total hexes
Ring 9 - 36 Provinces + 18 Cities = 54 total hexes
Ring 10 - 42 Provinces + 18 Cities = 60 total hexes
Ring 11 - 42 Provinces + 24 Cities = 66 total hexes
Ring 12 - 48 Provinces + 24 Cities = 72 total hexes
Ring 13 - 54 Provinces + 24 Cities = 78 total hexes

Each rings adds 6 additional hexes to the total number. Starting with ring 2 you'll that you have 3 rings in a row with the same number of cities in the ring itself. So add that 6 additional to the city count in Ring 14 - then add them to the Province count for Rings 15 and 16. (Rinse repeat for the next 3)

Last edited:

DeletedUser4417

Sensational? Exaggerated? Lost another fellow an hour ago due to the battle changes. Compensated, you're brand new here how can you comment on something you know zero about!
"the entire world?" why don't you go take a look at all the foreign forums before you open your mouth so that you know what you're talking about. How about that, there is a translator so you can read them!

Newer players are leaving, that's not exaggerated but it is sensational that it's being allowed to happen.

This person was in Chapter 3, we had been trying to get her through battles that at exactly where she should be and they can't be won.
They're frustrated because they came here for fun and found that this situation is anything but fun, no exaggeration!
Physician heal thyself. You know nothing about what you speak. You speak of people being compensated, yet you have nothing at all to back up the claim and you have the gall to ask someone how they can comment on the same thing? No one.. let me put it in BIG BOLD letters for you NO ONE is getting compensated in any way to come into these forums and speak truth as some of us have. Poof goes your narrative.

Yes, your entire post was sensation and exaggerated. Your ENTIRE post.

DeletedUser2870

@princeavery
You are right. We lost another player for that reason yesterday as well, and another one on the dutch server.
And one on the belgian one. And all of those were relatively new players who were not 'too far ahead' and were accepted because our fellowship has been loosing more members for this reason, so we started drawing in newer, lower ranked players.
They were not 'too far out' and yet found the fighting impossible with the units available to them.

DeletedUser4699

Easy there, princess Avery. I only quoted what you said. You were the one who mentioned the 'entire world.' I simply offered a counterpoint. To re-state a fact that you undoubtedly will neither read nor comprehend, the 'entire world' does not feel the way you do.
As for being 'brand new here,' I have been playing this game for quite some time now, did not join the forums from day 1. I am the Arch Mage of my fellowship, and we have lost no-one since the battle changes. We continue to grow and ascend in ranking. I am not as ignorant as you naively hope.
Good day.

DeletedUser4195

There just isn't enough room in these boxes for all this evidence. Players at every single level are stuck now:
Can you tell me why am I able to win battles? I lose a lot of troops fighting, sure, but I win. I don't believe I'm the exception. I'm still having trouble figuring out what forces beat what, and I win by manual battles, never automatic, although auto battle used to be my preferred method of fighting.

most average players want 'nothing' to do with coming to the forum
Most average players don't take the game seriously enough to WANT to visit the forums. I've been playing FoE for over a year now and have not been to their forums yet. Couldn't be bothered quite honestly, now that, is the actual fact sir.

you're brand new here how can you comment on something you know zero about!
Because a person is new to the forums it doesn't mean they are new to the game...take a second and give it some thought sir.

DeletedUser4417

Most average players don't take the game seriously enough to WANT to visit the forums. I've been playing FoE for over a year now and have not been to their forums yet. Couldn't be bothered quite honestly, now that, is the actual fact sir.

Ding. In fact I will go you one further. MOST players, average, exceptional or underachieving don't visit the forum on MOST games. Why? They prefer to spend their time playing the game not sitting a reading. Most only went there in the first place for tips and tricks and to see if there was free stuff being given away or special codes and/or hidden levels that were available. Most people don't play a game to be sociable. That is what they have Facebook, Twitter and a host of other apps for.

Because a person is new to the forums it doesn't mean they are new to the game...take a second and give it some thought sir.
Ding. This is something that CONSTANTLY has to be pointed out to those that assume just like PrinceAvery. New to the forum does not mean new to the playing the game.

DeletedUser2870

@Breann
Just the fact that you can still win battles also doesn't mean that every player can. Players who have been playing by the rules as the game was understood are stuck. Simple as that. Newer players in my fellowship have quit because they are unable to win fights with the units available to them.
There really is a huge number of players walking out and that IS a problem, and the main cause IS the new battle-system.

I mean, I/m steadily rising in rank, almost daily, on 3 different worlds where I only come online once every other day and where I can't build new stuff due to lack of space. So if I'm not gaining points, how am I rising in rank?
Only one explanation for that: higher ranked players are quitting.

If this is happening is several different countries you can be sure you have a serious problem with your product (game). That doesn't mean it affects every player, but apparently more than enough to make a big impact

As for the forum: sorry, but the fact you need to have a different password, and several players, including myself, have had huge problems actually getting here (telling me my username didn't exist, lack of support on it etc) is very definitely making it less likely that people will take the trouble getting here.
Not to mention that some who did get here were pretty much burned hard and fast by some of the regular defenders of whatever decision inno makes, and therefor do no longer see any use of coming here.
And then there are some who have issues with the mods (I myself among those too) and feel that's not being adressed/handled either.
All in all, not exactly a way of encouraging people to come, nor to come again after being treated like that.

So only a small group of pretty active players get to the forum. And an old truth is that for every complaint filed, there are at least another 10 that are not being filed because of either the trouble of doing so or the lack of belief in any knd of solution. And with Inno, I think it's pretty safe to state that the ratio of 1:10 is a very conservative estimate.
keeping all that in mind: they have called down upon themselves a serious problem. And I predict that this game will be headed for the graveyard unless there is at least a serious response within a short time. Not necessarily a fix, but at least some kind of official response that shows they do take this seriously.

Buttrflwr

I have not been able to battle in the provinces for a month, since the first battle update. That being said, I am FINALLY closing in on where Inno "says" I should be. I have had to finish some of the opened provinces I had for various reasons, thru negotiation, which, for me, has been VERY expensive. I am now on the 2nd tier of Chap 4 with 69 provinces completed. Chapter 5 requires 70. I have a squad upgrade ahead of me in the next tier of 4, and then 2 more, in the 5th and 6th tiers before I get to chap 5. I am currently outnumbered anywhere from 2.5 to 1 and UP on the encounters with 5 or less enemy squads, and 1.5 to 1 and up on the ones with 6 and more enemy squads, which is still suicide. I say this to say, it has been almost a MONTH since I could win a battle, and because I can only negotiate for KP, and gather one.per.hour, it's still going to be a WHILE before I can get those squad upgrades. AND, if I do negotiate for them, that will once again put me above where Inno "says" I should be. Come on guys, I want to do more in the mornings/evenings when I log in to play before/after work, and on the weekends, than just start productions, put trades up, and apply hourly kp to research. Can you say BORING! My fellowship and the HOPE that I can return to actually playing the game is all that has kept me going.

DeletedUser43

When discussing issues, facts are useful. I have provided a mountain of evidence that there are a great deal of very unhappy players. Those players need to have something done or they will eventually leave the game and then more people will end up in their shoes and those people will leave the game. Lion already has stated numerous times that he knows that the newbies are getting trounced. Without new people coming in all the time, the game will quickly whither and yet, the devs dumped this on the live servers knowing that it had these problems. They knew the AI didn't work. We discussed it on beta. They discussed it on the live facebook feed. Why would anyone change the battle system if they know that new players can't use it and the AI is broken?

It honestly doesn't matter what any of us say, people ARE very unhappy, from all over the world.

Just the fact that you can still win battles also doesn't mean that every player can.

Rather than post the entire thing, I'll just say I agree with nearly every single thing Dhurrin has said. And while princeavery may have used a touch of hyperbole to make his point, his point was extremely clear and quibbling over said hyperbole does nothing to add to the discussion. It is funny that not one of the apologists has addressed the EVIDENCE. In that case, they are just like the devs. Nothing to see here. What complaints? This only affects a tiny few! Demanding that the entire game send in examples of fights that are too hard? Funny. Demand away and while you do that more newbies will walk away from this game they see as stupid and pointless, top players will slam the door in your face rather than buy your new culture buildings, middle players will get fed up as they can't do squat and the apologists can all join hands and sing kumbaya. I'm sure Lion and Kat will be very happy in a fellowship together. They already have the theme going. Just know that I won't be joining you.

Did anyone watch that video on facebook? It is amazing to watch them lie and lie and lie and lie. The whole last few minutes of the video Timon repeats that you can always just negotiate provinces if you don't want to fight. Did no one tell him about the orc requirement?

And if that utter bs is true then the part about us being too far ahead and breaking the game and pushing the envelope and we should know better and we are getting what we deserve etc etc is utter bs because none of us will stop negotiating so nothing has been changed at all...except they broke the game for so many people.

The only thing I disagreed with what you said Dhurrin, is it isn't 10 people for every one who complain, it is 26. http://cxm.co.uk/1-26-unhappy-customers-complain-rest-churn/

I don't think Lion works for the company. He would be a horrible company man. His customer service skills are abysmal. The apologists here are actually hurting Inno. It is us who are welcoming dissent and supporting people who are coming here to leave feedback who are helping Inno.

Here is what a smart company knows:

"Complaints can make or break a relationship between you and the customer. While experiences elsewhere in your business, with your products and services or with your helpdesk for example, will help form a customer’s impression of you; a single poor experience with their complaint, and a customer can leave, vowing never to come back.

It’s also the perfect place to start winning back the hearts and minds of the silent majority of customers who do not complain when they have had a bad experience. Esteban Kolsky, CEO of ThinkJar and former Gartner analyst, conducted a customer experience survey and shared 50 of his findings, one of which states

“Only 1 out of 26 unhappy customers complain. The rest churn. A lesson here is that companies should not view absence of feedback as a sign of satisfaction. The true enemy is indifference.

Making sure you are accessible and welcoming to all types of feedback will ensure customer loyalty and also improve other parts of your business in the process through insight you may not otherwise be capturing."

Complaints are opportunities for companies to make more money, to address problems, to find a way to make a salable product. When the forums are loud that is a good sign not to squelched. It means people still care. When they go quiet is the time to worry. Stop silencing our unhappy players. WE want this game to get better. WE want Inno to succeed. WE want this game better. WE want them to get feedback. WE want them to have the opportunity to keep those people here before they walk out the door. It is SIX times more expensive to acquire a new customer than it is to keep a current one. The marketing department knows that. Heck, they give people DIAMONDS to come back if they haven't signed in for a while.