• Dear forum visitor,

It looks as though you have not registered for a forum account, or are not signed in. In order to participate in current discussions or create new threads, you will need to register for a forum account by clicking on the link below.

Click here to register for a forum account!

If you already have a forum account, you can simply click on the 'Log in' button at the top right of your forum screen.

Your Elvenar Team

Best AWs with new tournament changes

Deleted User - 1178646

This is why this AW issue is so confusing for me. I haven't heard anyone else say do not build GA or MH.
This was from the point of a negotiator, galden abyss has been an awesome wonder for years, but it no longer is the beauty is once was thanks to the new formula.
Golden abyss was like fine wine, it was mediocre at start but as your city evolved it became only better and better.

It thrives when you have a huge town with a massive population, but the new tournament format favors small and efficient towns.
Every expansion you could skip is a big win. and if you can replace much needed expansions with premium once thats even better.

If you can reach chapter 15, with the bare minimum of expansions which are mostly (free) premium. with only a few combat oriented wonders, the 3 unit producers, and just enough space for the needed armouries and premium workshops (+ accompanying pop/cult)
You will have the ultimate combat town that destroys any tournament. you do not need space for a single factory as you will not need to negotiate.

It's a stupid design, but thats what it currently is.
All those goodies and sweets of past few years just turned sour, and now feels like are infected with a strange disease instead of fun and delicious.

Iyapo1

You will have the ultimate combat town that destroys any tournament. you do not need space for a single factory as you will not need to negotiate.
And at some point you will no longer need goods to advance in the tech tree? Or you are halting all advancement for 30+ tourney tents?
Not knocking your priorities, just saying they are not universally shared.

Dew Spinner

This was from the point of a negotiator, galden abyss has been an awesome wonder for years, but it no longer is the beauty is once was thanks to the new formula.
Golden abyss was like fine wine, it was mediocre at start but as your city evolved it became only better and better.

It thrives when you have a huge town with a massive population, but the new tournament format favors small and efficient towns.
Every expansion you could skip is a big win. and if you can replace much needed expansions with premium once thats even better.

If you can reach chapter 15, with the bare minimum of expansions which are mostly (free) premium. with only a few combat oriented wonders, the 3 unit producers, and just enough space for the needed armouries and premium workshops (+ accompanying pop/cult)

It's a stupid design, but thats what it currently is.
All those goodies and sweets of past few years just turned sour, and now feels like are infected with a strange disease instead of fun and delicious.
Spire would still need goods, I don't think it is viable to fight every single Spire encounter.

Dew Spinner

Can you save up research expansions in your inventory, some you have to complete to progress farther through the tech tree.

Deleted User - 1178646

Spire would still need goods, I don't think it is viable to fight every single Spire encounter.

it should be at least by the time you unlocked frog prince.

What would you assume the perfect number of expansions to have at chapter 15?
the formula is in a crude form relics bonus * research * expansions * wonders.

Any numbers you can keep low wiill have a huge impact as they multiply.

• Relic bonus you can't really do much about unless you are willing to skip 3 out of 9 tournaments.
  • Research you can "fix" by stopping to do that, for a fighter the optimal point is unlocking frog prince and then stop progressing. there are some other key points you can (ab)use with different strategies.
  • Expansions is a big factor you can influence, it's base value per expansion is relatively big. do not build anything that is not absolutely nessesary this is why wonders have a double negative impact not only are they wonders they also need space (read an expansion). If you can replace a normal expansion with a premium that is preferred as a premium has a decently reduced impact compared to regular ones. tho both hit hard. this might force you to take long routes instead of the quick route as limiting space use is key. can you get away with just a portal and PP, then do this.
  • Wonderlevels are double painfull as explained above because they require an extra expansion to place in your city, then the influence of a single level is valuewise low, but it's very easy to accumulate a lot of wonderlevels (which you need for seeds) and many times a low number becomes a big one eventually. a value of only 2 (333 wonderlevels) for example doubles your difficulty level.

Dew Spinner

Would it be wise to level some AWs from the ones I build to 30 and some to a lesser amount and if so which ones? Or should they all be leveled to 30?

Dew Spinner

25 was a number grabbed that was decently possible, I am sure you can make it more crazy if you wanted.
Well, that's out, I already have more expansions then that and you can't put them back. Or can you? Do you have a rough estimate of how many expansions to stay under and how many AW levels to stay under to keep your penalty optimal?

Iyapo1

@Dew Spinner what is your goal?

Difficulty is progressive. Difficulty increases with every boost relic gained, every AW level added, every tech unlocked, and every expansion placed.

If you want to dominate the tournaments the answer is 25 or less expansions and zero wonders or zero boosted relics and zero techs unlocked in whatever chapter you sit in....and in a couple of years you will be on top of the leaderboards. Maybe.

Heymrdiedier

Do not build golden abyss, it ain't worth it. similar with mountain halls.

Btw catering (on a decent level aka way more than 8 provinces) is only possible if you go for a low relic bonus.
Once you get a relic bonus it outpaces your production improvements very very fast.
I disagree with you on that. If you cater, you need more manufactories, so that abyss and mountain halls gives you lots of population that saves you space (= less expansions needed). Also the mountain hall bonus doesnt affect the costs, so that way you can at least get 60% bonus instead of 0? :)

Deleted User - 1178646

I disagree with you on that. If you cater, you need more manufactories, so that abyss and mountain halls gives you lots of population that saves you space (= less expansions needed). Also the mountain hall bonus doesnt affect the costs, so that way you can at least get 60% bonus instead of 0? :)

You need to much of a big city for breaking even. remember how people complained that in the first chapter after unlocking it, it's benefit was "smaller than a house"? you need to seriously level it to make an impact thats beneficial. and those levels also have a small drawback.

if you need production you'll probebely better off by limiting space / culture use by trying to use non factory production, like for example the dreaded spire set. it's way more efficient and does not require workers and culture.

but again catering really is only possible if you can keep relic bonus at 0, otherwise it does not matter what strategy you use, you won't be able to really make a dent in the tournament results anyway.

Dew Spinner

@Dew Spinner what is your goal?

Difficulty is progressive. Difficulty increases with every boost relic gained, every AW level added, every tech unlocked, and every expansion placed.

If you want to dominate the tournaments the answer is 25 or less expansions and zero wonders or zero boosted relics and zero techs unlocked in whatever chapter you sit in....and in a couple of years you will be on top of the leaderboards. Maybe.
Well, that example is of course out of the question, it's not realistic. I want to find some middle ground where I can have x amount of things and the penalty from x amount of things is manageable and not a severe hinderance on the game. For Instance is 150 expansions pretty ok but once you hit 200 watch out. Does anyone have an idea where the tipping point lies.

Iyapo1

if you need production you'll probebely better off by limiting space / culture use by trying to use non factory production, like for example the dreaded spire set. it's way more efficient and does not require workers and culture.

but again catering really is only possible if you can keep relic bonus at 0, otherwise it does not matter what strategy you use, you won't be able to really make a dent in the tournament results anyway.
This is relevant only if the goal is to dominate in the tournaments. That is a niche game play style. There is nothing wrong with it, it is simply not the dominate playstyle. My focus is also niche. My focus is on the MA. Most players do not share my obsession.

There are opportunities in this game for personalizing your city to suit your style and your focus. Knowing your goal determines everything else.

Iyapo1

Well, that example is of course out of the question, it's not realistic. I want to find some middle ground where I can have x amount of things and the penalty from x amount of things is manageable and not a severe hinderance on the game. For Instance is 150 expansions pretty ok but once you hit 200 watch out. Does anyone have an idea where the tipping point lies.

The tipping point happens at around 5k in the tournaments. If you are happy with a score below that you will stay on middle ground.

Dew Spinner

The tipping point happens at around 5k in the tournaments. If you are happy with a score below that you will stay on middle ground.
The tipping point in tournaments is determined by your penalty amount. If you keep your penalty amount low I'm sure a lot more than 5k is very doable. So it is the point at which the penalty starts to exponentially spiral out of control that determines where the tipping point lies.

Dew Spinner

I figure there are around 19 AWs I am not going to build, that should drop my total AW levels and total expansions down quite a bit and therefore keep my penalty at a reasonable amount.