• Dear forum visitor,

It looks as though you have not registered for a forum account, or are not signed in. In order to participate in current discussions or create new threads, you will need to register for a forum account by clicking on the link below.

Click here to register for a forum account!

If you already have a forum account, you can simply click on the 'Log in' button at the top right of your forum screen.

Your Elvenar Team

Cities looking like slums now

DeletedUser3432

Muffin,
Thank you for responding. Hopefully the designers are listening.

DeletedUser3038

no worries guys....we are in it together as far as Im concerned
I know in my heart things will get better, we have to try and stay a bit positive I know thats hard....but its a challenge....it'll turn around

faith trust and alil pixie dust ~:p

Maz Mellor

And while you are at it. Could someone please just get them to tweak the language of the orc text? If we aren't slave traders and the orcs are guarding things, then can't they just add a word of text and call them "orc guards" in the provinces? I read the wiki and the breeding grounds aren't us breeding orcs, they are orcs breeding orcs. So maybe Orc's breeding grounds? Just adding a noun and a possessive changes the whole meaning. Instead of us "assembling them" in the rally point...well...that one I still don't get. I haven't gotten to that and I don't know what we are doing there. But if we aren't gods, then we can't "assemble" an orc. That language appears in the tech tree.

Regarding the illicit drug references. I don't know any way to avoid referencing drugs if they are going to call the psychoshrooms and the other ones that do something to your mind. Is that truly appropriate content for a game that kids play? Can they please work on that?

I second all of those suggestions! They may seem like fiddly language issues, but sometimes language really matters....

As for assembling the orcs, I'm guessing what is meant is something like "convene" or "gather together" or "call together"? Or even "summon"...? They've used a normally intransitive verb (to assemble) in a transitive sense, and it just sounds odd. Like suddenly we're putting together Ikea furniture, only instead of uncomfortable chairs, we've got orcs.

(I know, I know, Varron's analogies/metaphors are in a whole other league!)

DeletedUser

I second all of those suggestions! They may seem like fiddly language issues, but sometimes language really matters....

As for assembling the orcs, I'm guessing what is meant is something like "convene" or "gather together" or "call together"? Or even "summon"...? They've used a normally intransitive verb (to assemble) in a transitive sense, and it just sounds odd. Like suddenly we're putting together Ikea furniture, only instead of uncomfortable chairs, we've got orcs.

(I know, I know, Varron's analogies/metaphors are in a whole other league!)
If you guys have nothing better to do than pick apart the game and twist things into meaning something different than what the game developers intended, then why do you play it? Go find or create your own perfect little game. You obviously have sad lives.

DeletedUser43

Got it Maz. Yes of course. I stand corrected! Thank you.

Keri, these forums are for players to provide feedback so that they can help make the game better. Complaints are golden opportunities for companies. Most unhappy people never say a word..they just leave. So anyone letting a company know any issue they have is very helpful. Only 1% or so ever say a word. If anyone is saying anything here, you can bet hundreds of others are thinking the same thing elsewhere. (Except of course for making such a bonehead mistake about the word assemble...that is probably all just me!!)

DeletedUser

Got it Maz. Yes of course. I stand corrected! Thank you.

Keri, these forums are for players to provide feedback so that they can help make the game better. Complaints are golden opportunities for companies. Most unhappy people never say a word..they just leave. So anyone letting a company know any issue they have is very helpful. Only 1% or so ever say a word. If anyone is saying anything here, you can bet hundreds of others are thinking the same thing elsewhere. (Except of course for making such a bonehead mistake about the word assemble...that is probably all just me!!)
Yet it's very noticeable that it's usually the same complainers day after day.

DeletedUser43

It will be great to have you around then for a new perspective! Welcome to the forums! :) I look forward to having you here! We sure need some new blood! What world do you play on?

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser627

And yet, keri, it's common for me to get in-game messages that say, "thanks for taking the time to bring up issues on the forum for us." They follow up with "I just don't have time", "I'm not a good writer" or even "I don't feel that arguing the point will make any difference, since no one listens".

If I were an individual inclined to complain, I'd certainly argue differently. I'd be delighted with all the changes that penalize early players (since it virtually ensures they'll grow more slowly than I did), I'd be in favor or Tournament rank score awards (since it gives me a chance to get points and increase my lead over smaller cities), I'd be tickled at the Orc barriers (since it only affects cities smaller than mine)...you know, I really could go on and on. Many of the developments I "complain" against are not even in my self-interest.

If I had to guess, it would be that you feel frustrated when the Forum is more negative than positive. I agree. But what do we have to write about? Anything great or new or exciting? Shall we have a little celebration over orc dung-colored cities? A red letter day, proclaiming, "hey! if you're in Ring 10 but nowhere near Orc Research, you can celebrate your future non-expansions!!" And my favorite would be, "Let's all give three cheers for the new residences that, for every 3 we upgrade, we lose 5 grids and 742 culture for identical population".

DeletedUser61

If it Bleeds, it Leads -- http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/IfItBleedsItLeads
A basic fact in the news media is that, if a story involves a brutal death or injury of some kind (or the likelihood of it), it is likely to get higher ratings. The more lurid the story, the better its chances of being the ratings leader. Natural disasters, bank robberies, shootouts, rapes, serial killers, Gang Bangers, school violence and animal maulings all draw an army of news vans
Forums aren't much different.

DeletedUser2753

no worries guys....we are in it together as far as Im concerned
I know in my heart things will get better, we have to try and stay a bit positive I know thats hard....but its a challenge....it'll turn around

I wish to award Muffin with the first Virtual Swedish Fish. Thank you for responding.

swedish-fish1.png

http://motherboard.vice.com/read/the-swedish-fish-theory

Maz Mellor

If you guys have nothing better to do than pick apart the game and twist things into meaning something different than what the game developers intended, then why do you play it? Go find or create your own perfect little game. You obviously have sad lives.

Ironically, I didn't think that was a very complain-y post. I was just sharing my theory as to what the devs meant when they talked about assembling orcs. I understand that Elvenar is produced by a German company so sometimes there are little quirks in the language; this is one of them. No big deal.

As for the other language I referred to, I actually do think that matters, and is worth fixing. You may find this difficult to believe, but I basically really like and enjoy this game and I would rather see the player base expand than contract for that reason. If you have something that is offensive to a significant population of players and potential players, and it wouldn't be that difficult to fix, then why not fix it? That's all I'm saying.

But, maybe you would like to offer your own comments or feedback about the new update, rather than picking apart ours?

And, on a different note, let me join the chorus of folks saying thank you to Muffin for being awesome. :cool:

Last edited:

DeletedUser

On a more positive note.... pulling this off the Elvenar FB page...

(name deleted)OK, I need orcs to negotiate in Provinces now, which is a huge problem because I've only just crossed over into Dwarves and have far to long to go before I can start making Orcs! This has effectively stopped my exploration progress. I'm really fed up with this. I fully see the need to add more levels but why would you impose the need to build an item to progress forward that people in the lower levels have no way of doing? Honestly about the throw in the towel on this game.

Elvenar Hi Patricia,
We are looking in to this at the moment as many players are having the same issue.

Yay!

DeletedUser1590

Within the next few weeks, I will have finally unlocked the dwarven ancient wonders. That's probably where my playing this game will wind down. I've never been crazy about the fairy designs bc they make your city look like one big blob of colors with uninteresting, flowery buildings. I was h0ping the orcs were going to offer a great incentive to keep going and get to some cool stuff. Big nope on that one. I'm not a huge spender, but I've put in roughly the equivalent of two console games, hoping to see some interesting evolution and branched options for Elvenar, but it looks like I was wrong. In retrospect, knowing what I know now, I probably wouldn't have spent more than a few bucks for some expansion squares. Going forward, knowing what I know now, I won't be spending anything more unless the devs actually pay attention to the players. The first rule of any good business is don't ignore the people who are keeping your company in business. Silence in the face of an uprising is absolutely the worst possible service a company can provide, and InnoGames is going to wind up losing a lot of business as a result. It's unfortunate they believe otherwise. Word spreads quickly among gaming communities, and the devs' conduct is going to give this game a bad name; and when that happens, new players won't be joining, money won't be coming in, and the game will go the way of Tyrant, which would be a shame.

LOL, troll much?

DeletedUser1987

I personally don't post on the forums much, because the people who are complaining every day are summing up exactly my thoughts, and saying "what they said" normally gets ignored because it isn't adding anything. Why try to explain the problems when there are people who are so much more eloquent about explaining them?

I especially agree about the wording of the orcs. The devs need to understand that even if wherever they're living doesn't have a large number of people who will act like a kicked hornet's nest over the current wording, we DO. They can't just say "we don't see a problem with it" because wherever they live doesn't have the same problematic connotations behind the words they chose. I was playing World of Warcraft the other week, and someone was harassing one of my guild members because the guild member's character name was some inappropriate slang word in the area where the harasser lived. The guild member promptly changed their character name after determining that the person was serious about it being incredibly inappropriate. It didn't matter that that word wasn't slang for anything for the person who was using that as their name, it was slang for someone else. The devs should treat the way the orcs are represented in the game similarly. Maybe the current wording isn't controversial for the devs, but it is for other people living in other places.

DeletedUser1831

I personally don't post on the forums much, because the people who are complaining every day are summing up exactly my thoughts, and saying "what they said" normally gets ignored because it isn't adding anything. Why try to explain the problems when there are people who are so much more eloquent about explaining them?

This tends to be me also - there are those who can explain so much better than I can. I just hope, that by speaking up, the sheer volume will make them aware. And that's an excellent point about the wording...harmless in one location, but not in another - like the "ok" sign, or "thumbs up". It all comes down to context, and here, the orc wording has a terrible context.

DeletedUser43

Welcome to the forums! I am so glad to see some new folks around here!! We all get sick of hearing our own voices. Every voice adds to the discussion!! I completely agree about the context point. Absolutely. Great point! Every culture has a different way of seeing things. Here, in the US, now, we are extremely sensitive to certain concepts. Using words like "manipulating" another race, and "controlling them" and doing experiments on another race with psychotropic mushrooms hit a sore spot with many here. And since this game is marketed to Americans too, one wouldn't think a company would want to offend that many potential customers. Plus, those concepts are gross. Sorry, but they are. And lest you think I am being hyperbolic, I took that language directly from the game.

I quote:

""Goblins are malicious and mischievous and their full purpose is cultivating mysterious mushrooms they can do genius experiments with, to later use on ... the Orcs!"

This hearkens back to some horrific historical times that we certainly do not want to bring into a game! This place is supposed to be fun. But WE will never forget those horrible historic times and we aren't ok with them being brought into a game.

Another quote:

"One thing you must know about the Orcs: they can barely speak ... they mostly grunt, but they are incredibly strong, so you can use their brute force into your advantage to grow your city even further. You just need to find a way to .... let's say ... manipulate them!"

They are sentient yes? They can talk? And we are to find ways to use their strength for our advantage? We have an ugly historical perspective on using another race for their brute strength in order to grow cities. We find this abhorrent.

We are currently fighting to END these kinds of ugly ideas in our society, we sure as heck don't want them brought as part of "fun".

Welcome both of you and thank you for jumping in! I know the forums can seem scary, but we so need your voices!! :)

It sure wouldn't take much to change some text in the game in order not to be so offensive. I can't imagine why anyone would fight it so.