• Dear forum visitor,

It looks as though you have not registered for a forum account, or are not signed in. In order to participate in current discussions or create new threads, you will need to register for a forum account by clicking on the link below.

Click here to register for a forum account!

If you already have a forum account, you can simply click on the 'Log in' button at the top right of your forum screen.

Your Elvenar Team

Cross Tier Trades

DeletedUser19723

@SherG26 you can have a low level non boosted just for the looks (I always liked the wiggly trees) but it's easier when your city is much larger as it hurts less as a %

For the residence, If selling a house brings you down to negative population then you won't be able to add more buildings or upgrades that require pop until you get it back up. Buildings will still function normally though.

Let me see if I am understanding this - If I have 46 available population and I sell a level 7 residence of 100 population, then my available population becomes -54? If I then need 90 population to build something I have to come up with 144 population to build it?

mucksterme

Oh Wise One
@SherG26 or anyone else new
Another basic tip that we often forget to mention, because once you're around for a while you take it for granted

Collect the relics in your boosts. You need other relics also. But early on get as many in your boosts as you can. That increases your production.
The best way to do that is tournies
Early on you can't go hard in every week's tourny. But you should always participate.
But on the week when the tourny is in your boost. make that your priority for the week.

mucksterme

Oh Wise One
Let me see if I am understanding this - If I have 46 available population and I sell a level 7 residence of 100 population, then my available population becomes -54? If I then need 90 population to build something I have to come up with 144 population to build it?

Yep

Something I would do when I was low level and needed some Pop to continue but the only place available to build a House was also needed for a factory or workshop..
I would build the residence then move it into my culture ( no path ) area
Even disconnected I would keep the Pop
Then I could build what I really needed
Of course that is just a temporary fix and eventually you need to pay the piper

DeletedUser19723

There is no wrong approach to town design as long as you stay true to yourself. We can give lots of advice based on certain things, like efficiency, but you still need to add your own flavour to the information.

I know optimal efficiency is a plus, but I'm a "stop and smell the roses" type. I have to come up with a middle of the road solution for myself because I really want to stick with the game. It's fun and a great challenge. I also think this forum is awesome, and I've been in a few that were anything but.

Much later in the game you get to sentient goods, these use a different factory to your normal goods. So by the end of the next chapter to be implemented in the game you will have 6 of the 9 goods in your town with appropriate boosts. We are also often given quests in events that require goods production from each factory type, normally basic goods. So it is also common to see people with level 1 factories of their non-boosted type to cover these options.

So, If I'm reading right, after Chapter 1, I have boosted steel, Chapter 2, boosted scrolls, and Chapter 3, boosted elixir, and 6 non-boosted goods?

Space is tight at the start but it does get easier. The most common "mistakes" is overbuilding factories or keeping old inefficient culture buildings. When you delete a building you get back the invested population and culture and some coins/supplies. However deleting a diamond building or wonder gets you nothing so be very careful selling things around those.

I'm assuming getting back population from selling does not apply to residences, as per what Soggy Shorts said?

DeletedUser19723

@SherG26 or anyone else new
Another basic tip that we often forget to mention, because once you're around for a while you take it for granted

Collect the relics in your boosts. You need other relics also. But early on get as many in your boosts as you can. That increases your production.
The best way to do that is tournies
Early on you can't go hard in every week's tourny. But you should always participate.
But on the week when the tourny is in your boost. make that your priority for the week.

Okay, then I'm on target with all this. Is there a max boost? Currently I have boosted steel @ 156% and boosted scrolls @ 186%
I am doing the tournaments, not well, but doing them anyway. It will be better when my troops learn to fight :p

DeletedUser19723

4. I consider an "active" player to be one who logs in twice a day.
I'm sure I'm forgetting a few, but basically, yeah I'm totally biased(but try to realize it :D )

Well then, I guess I'm an overactive player. I log on.....well, let's just say - a lot. And I'd like to move through the tech tree fast, but I can only go as fast as my coins, supplies and goods allow. I have Treant and City Expansion 5 left for Chapter 2. It took exactly a month to get to this point. Is that fast, slow, or somewhere in the middle?
BTW: I've been working toward Treant the entire Chapter 2. I'm hoping they will help in battles. I'd sure like to see "Victory" more and "Defeat" less.

And the Treants are so cute!

SoggyShorts

Mathematician par Excellence
Honestly I'm not sure that is old timers would be a great judge of how fast you are playing, since the game has changed so much, but if I had to guess I'd say it's pretty quick. A pretty major factor is how the events hit when you start too.
Getting a major (30 day) event too early won't help most players unless they are game savvy or have guidance.
You hitting the winter event at this point could be a huge boost for you since you are asking all the right questions.

Last edited:

DeletedUser19905

Truly, @SherG26, you do ask all the right questions. I've been playing just over 2 weeks, I'm in the 2nd column of tech on the Ch 2 tree, and I've found this forum invaluable, mostly because every time I have a question, you've already asked it! Big thanks to all the forum members with the ready knowledge! Now to go sell off some extra factories...

DeletedUser19723

Honestly I'm not sure that is old timers would be a great judge of how fast you are playing, since the game has changed so much, but if I had to guess I'd say it's pretty quick. A pretty major factor is how the events hit when you start too.
Getting a major (30 day) event too early won't help most players unless they are game savvy or have guidance.
You hitting the winter event at this point could be a huge boost for you since you are asking all the right questions.

If you think back, when I started was midway through the Headless Halloween event. That's when I started posting questions on the forum. And I still am full of questions that hit me as I develop my city. I sincerely hope that I'm not driving anyone crazy with all them. Anyway, back to events - I really wanted to get to the end of that event, but realized pretty soon that it was way beyond me. I did do as many quests as I could and got a bunch of Instants that I've never used, but it was not very satisfying. I'm looking forward to the winter event but understand that I most likely will not be able to get to the end. I just want to get further than I did on the Halloween event. I'm ready!

DeletedUser19723

Truly, @SherG26, you do ask all the right questions. I've been playing just over 2 weeks, I'm in the 2nd column of tech on the Ch 2 tree, and I've found this forum invaluable, mostly because every time I have a question, you've already asked it! Big thanks to all the forum members with the ready knowledge! Now to go sell off some extra factories...

Too funny. :) I'm always asking questions. In the non-Elvenar world, too. My friends sometimes roll their eyes or shake their heads, but they love me anyway. They know that I have a passion for information and learning. I read, I research, and I ask those that know way more than me. You will find this forum to be a huge help as you discover Elvenar. I personally am looking forward to the day that someone asks a question that I can answer. I do believe in pay it forward.

Welcome to Elvenar, Aelathia.

Mykan

Oh Wise One
I'm assuming getting back population from selling does not apply to residences, as per what Soggy Shorts said?

You can still build houses when you have negative population, from memory they only require culture to build.

Regarding the factories you are correct after chapter 3 you will have 3 of the 9 factory types. When you get to elementals the next set of 3 begin, I know it is a long way away.

Regarding combat check out my guide or the combat 101, combat 201 guides. Basically treants are the key unit in 2 of the 9 provinces so they will help you a lot, you would have key units for 5 of the 9 provinces. Mages cover 2 provinces and golems the other 2, tournaments get easier from chapter 3 as you have all the basic units.

mucksterme

Oh Wise One
Okay, then I'm on target with all this. Is there a max boost? Currently I have boosted steel @ 156% and boosted scrolls @ 186%

Max boost is 700% which takes 500 relics
There is also an AW ( Mountain Hall) that gives a bonus to boost. I'm currently at 796% but I'm something of an AW freak and upgrade them more than most.

I sincerely hope that I'm not driving anyone crazy with all them.

Don't worry. For most people here it is just a short walk, no driving necessary. And some *coughshimmerflycough* have already arrived.

hvariidh gwendrot

the abuse of cross tier trades is valid point...best advice for cross tiers = prearrange them to be taken if you need help with resources, so all the someone might get upset is taken out of the equation as they are taken quickly and do not sit in trade, then if anyone gets upset that you're helping with a "special trade" you know you're in the wrong fellowship :cool: i build for production and to have extras so i can help my fellowship when it's needed .. then a cross tier trade is a good thing as it helps players progress when newer and if someone needs a bump to get that last province in a tournament do a cross tier and HELP your team mate..then if it is abused you know your abusing lol

DeletedUser6834

While the game ranks goods at about the same value within a tier and X4 for the next tier and X16 for the last, this seems about right. The downside is the time to create T1 goods is 4 X T2 time and 16X T3 time. So if your giving up T1 stuff for T2 or T3 stuff your time costs are 4 or 16 times more. Therein lies the inequity. When dealing with a noob (I go look), I do try and take their stuff to help them along. The big killer are the players who offer 0 to 1 star trades thinking to make a bundle while under cutting the wholesaler. That's where I see most of the clutter worth ignoring.

DeletedUser20255

I was taken to this thread after doing a search for Cross-Tier Trading. I "didn't get it." Having just read through the 2 pages of comments, I have a better understanding of what it is. I also know what the stars mean now. :) So thank you to all who have posted.
I've been playing exactly one month and, quite frankly, trading can be rather intimidating. I've accepted about a dozen trades. I've only offered what quests have required. I've just joined a Fellowship that is, to me, good for where I am in the game. There is no pressure and no trading rules.
That being said, should I put up trades, even if small ones, daily to sort of keep my hand in it?
I'm in Chapter 2. I have lots of steel (boosted). I desperately need crystal and silk but can't produce scrolls (boosted) in large enough quantity to trade effectively with it. As I see it, my only options would be to offer trades that are cross-tier or be more willing to slow down my city's development. The later would be hard because I'm having so much fun building it. :D
Here's what I do, usually several times a day (i'm retiresd and have the time), first make sure my own untaken trades aren't causing my goods shortage, second filter for the goods I'm looking for and take trades if they are "fair" (see discussion above), third filter for my FS and help out my fellows as much as I can afford trying to keep a few K of each for myself, fourth post "fair" trades for what I need. I keep the quantities smaller in T2 and T3 but post one or two big ones if I can for the people that like big trades, fifth balance out my inventory with a few K of my non=boosted goods in each tier but keeping a high amount of my boosted since my FS depends on me for them.
Like the others I avoid cross-tier trades (having recently been convinced 16:4:1 is unfair. But I will offer "downward" cross-tier trades at 5:2:1 and make sure my FS knows in case they want the action first.
I don't think i've ever offered a trade that wasn't taken in 24 hours

DeletedUser20255

Funny how your view of the game changes as you grow. You talk of having a "few k"
I get worried if any goods drop below 100K
Yes... I'm new enough to remember dealing in hundreds..and I still do for Tier 2 and 3. The smaller players can't always handle thousands. And sometimes a key research step or build may depend on literally a few.
Sometimes I feel like you big guys don't take my trades because its not worth the click lol. Or is it because of the trade fee which tbh I don'y pay much attention to?
I guess its all relative. I've just started Dwarves and I rarely need more than 5K of any good at any one time. guess that is different as you progress.. but still, like I said, relative.

DeletedUser5521

Sometimes I feel like you big guys don't take my trades because its not worth the click lol.
I don't know how others feel about this, but for myself I usually don't take small trades, simply because I always think there is someone who will come along and need that trade, and I'd rather leave it there for them. If someone in my FS posts in chat that they need someone to take their trades, I will definitely help out, no matter what size the trade. If I have time and see an unfamiliar name posting a tiny trade I will go check them out and if they are just getting started I will take their trades to keep them going, but really I most often don't even look at the trades that are on those last few pages of the trader.. :oops::confused::rolleyes:

DeletedUser20255

I don't know how others feel about this, but for myself I usually don't take small trades, simply because I always think there is someone who will come along and need that trade, and I'd rather leave it there for them. If someone in my FS posts in chat that they need someone to take their trades, I will definitely help out, no matter what size the trade. If I have time and see an unfamiliar name posting a tiny trade I will go check them out and if they are just getting started I will take their trades to keep them going, but really I most often don't even look at the trades that are on those last few pages of the trader.. :oops::confused::rolleyes:
Again the difference is size is emphasized. I get the impression that some of you see too many trades to consider them all. At my size, i currently have 9 pages of offers total. If I limit the selection to my FS there is currently zero. If i limit it to to the particular goods I'm interested in the hits are often zero, never more than a page. I only have three pages of 2 or three star trades (I never accept less)
I don't understand "someone else needing the trade". If they need the trade why wouldnt they post it themself? Then I would see it and accept instead of having to post my own.