• Dear forum visitor,

It looks as though you have not registered for a forum account, or are not signed in. In order to participate in current discussions or create new threads, you will need to register for a forum account by clicking on the link below.

Click here to register for a forum account!

If you already have a forum account, you can simply click on the 'Log in' button at the top right of your forum screen.

Your Elvenar Team

How do you feel about the March of Herds Event

• 1. It was poorly designed - I did not like it

Votes: 93 62.8%
  • 2. I liked it

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • 3. I finished the Event

Votes: 17 11.5%
  • 4. I gave it up - it was impossible to finish

Votes: 92 62.2%
  • 5. It was interesting

Votes: 14 9.5%
  • 6. It was boring

Votes: 47 31.8%

• Total voters

DeletedUser8779

1. Why not give away some really big mystery prizes?
    A couple of expansions, a blue print or two...
    ... most of us would not win them - but it would add the spice to the Event that is at present sadly lacking.....

2. Overall consensus was that the ‘Pay xxx of yyy’ quests asked for ridiculously large amounts of materials - and players resented having to part with those, and see their city growth and Tournament play grind to a halt...
    ... the design team extracting their 'pound of flesh'! :)

Way cool, Jackluyt. This makes a bunch of sense to me. (Of course, assuming I'm ever cured of Noob-itis, I'm sure I'll say..."Way cool, Jackluyt! " :p)

There are rewards that are both rare and/or pretty much unavailable to the great unwashed. Your suggestion regarding blueprints is a winner (and I wouldn't turn my noobie nose up at an expansion or two, either).

There are a bunch of singleton FSs and lots of understaffed ones, as well, that would benefit from the availability of Blueprints at some point other than the 10th Chest.

On top of that, it makes sense from Inno's point to do that, too. Rather than look down their corporate nose at those who aren't voluntarily spending a few bucks, they could actively induce folks to open their wallets. "What's this? A blueprint? How do I use THAT?" Voila! A nice 'thank you' for folks that have invested in Magic this or that (and been driven to homicidal tendencies by virtue of interminable grinds that yield only a chance, deternimed by RNGeebus, to gain a semi-useful reward :mad: ), on top of which they compel folks that haven't parted with pennies a reason to do so.

I think your suggestion is brilliant. :)

DeletedUser7978

i finished this event, and I hated it. The tasks were absurd and greedy and the rewards were not worth the cost. And finishing the daily events was especially mean as it cost players beets to try for the final prizes. I will look at the prizes before I play another one, believe me. In both my worlds, fs members hated it and many quit playing it.

Buttrflwr

Rather than look down their corporate nose at those who aren't voluntarily spending a few bucks, they could actively induce folks to open their wallets.

They look down their corporate noses at us all, open wallets and closed wallets. We ALL suffer. I voluntarily have purchased diamonds, several times, as I believe in supporting games I like. I have not done so in quite a while. They refuse to listen to their player base, unless we pitch a wall eyed booger fit, as we did on beta over the "dynamic" (STUPID) trader they almost shoved down our throat. We actually had to explain, AND show data on why it was such a STUPID idea, AFTER they released it. So they will listen, but rarely. There have been SOOOO SOOOO many ideas that were polled, by @innogames moderators themselves, and supposedly sent on to the devs, that we never saw, or heard of again. Ideas that would help game play, like a numbered grid to show us what province we were in BEFORE we scouted it, instead of this now hard/easy nonsense they have given us instead. Meh, I have never really been involved in a beta game that didn't listen to the beta players like this one. Only one time have I seen them listen, and that was the trader. But it really was such a disaster, they had no choice but to pull it. There may have been others, but I don't know of them. Anyway, I just didn't want you to think that it was just the FTP players that suffer, we ALL do. :p </endrant ;)

DeletedUser1016

I finished this event, and I hated it. The tasks were absurd and greedy and the rewards were not worth the cost. And finishing the daily events was especially mean as it cost players beets to try for the final prizes. I will look at the prizes before I play another one, believe me. In both my worlds, fs members hated it and many quit playing it.
I finished as well, I was done in 10 days, so it's not really a terribly difficult event compared to all the previous. I rushed thru just get it done and stop the senseless waste of goods and time; and doing the "Pay" & "Gain" quests were painful. Now I've got almost 20 new buildings that are just sitting in my inventory, unable to use many because they don't have mana or are just not as valuable as previous prizes [ugh]. Perhaps I can switch some out later just for a change of scenery.

.............like yourself "SmilingWhimsy"...not again!

Last edited by a moderator:

SoggyShorts

Mathematician par Excellence
Some quest change suggestions:

Aside from a general reduction of the number, a change to
"Spend a good amount of supplies" at least this way it doesn't feel like a total loss.

The supplies amount should be no more than 3x what 40 max workshops make in an hour. Then apply the same principal to Advanced tools and Groceries quests.

I think these should be scaled to actually encourage/reward progress. Almost every advanced player builds a few tiny buildings and upgrades them only to delete them later. That is not progress.
Better would be
"Have 2 residences at level 25"
The scaling would be based on the last residence tech you unlocked.
To make the build times fair across various chapters, earlier chapters would need more than later chapters

Many players have loads of these already, and would rather produce other spells. A simple change to
"Gain 2 spells" would be an improvement.

These just need to go. "Provide Neighborly Help 10x per chapter" would be a great replacement.

Last edited:

DeletedUser3821

Honestly, I'm very relieved that it's over because it wasn't enjoyable at all, and was even "painful" at times. :( As I stated in an earlier post, if future events have the "pay a good amount of whatever" goods,:eek: I won't be participating. It's more enjoyable to use those goods in tournaments and building my city. :rolleyes:

DeletedUser3312

Every post above spoke volumes about the overall impression by everyone I have spoken with regarding this Event. No one in my FS finished. It was simply not worth bankrupting our inventory. The prizes were not anything I would use. The few I got, stay in storage. I did put out the herd as it was 11,000 something culture and I needed it as I'm selling willows and building libraries (which I am not convinced is a good idea as my culture dropped so critically and went into the negative by several thousand) A bit more thought needs to go into things. The programmers need to actually play the game as the players do and not use their unlimited diamond option to speed through things they don't want to wait on.) This will help them get a better idea of what they put us through. Anyway... suffice it to say... I strongly agree with each and every post above!

DeletedUser738

How did i felt about the March of Herds Events. I didn't enjoy it...they were asking for so much goods and giving not much in return for it. Anddd the prizes..i am so tired to see always the same prizes coming each time a new event show up. They are maybe good for a player who just start to play but for someone who been playing for awhile and is far in the game not so good!..we need smaller building with lots of pops, cults and manas! The devs should think to please not only new players but the ones who been there for so long, before they get bored of the game! What not giving in prize some expansions :)~

DeletedUser4930

The number of beets given as prizes was discouraging. After bankrupting myself on materials to get a piddly amount of beets in return it seemed crazy. The daily task was doable and the rewards adequate. The regular tasks should have been as well. The prizes themselves were often undesirable. I liked the Mother Dragon, wish the graphics had been stronger. Also liked the Chicken Glade because it gave pop and culture. I quit after the 2nd grand prize, but hadn't planned to go that far. I'm OCD enough if the task is there I feel compelled to work on it.

DeletedUser8847

I gave up middle of the event.
Too much to ask for supplies!
And, I didn't like so much of too big things that were around. Got herbs gathering, and it's mostly in the way taking too much room plus quest was too long

Jackluyt

Platinum Leaf -FB
I am noticing that quite a few people have left our Facebook group in the last week - and most of those who I contacted have stopped playing entirely.
No way to prove it - but I am wondering if this unprecedented exodus is related to dissatisfaction with the Event?

Last edited:

dikke ikke

This is the first time since the introduction of orcs in negotiations and the complete overhaul of the battle system, that there are so many complains and people quitting. It would be wise if inno would take this into account, and make the next big event (probably in the fall) much better. I think there are enough suggestions given to do so.

DeletedUser7320

That was very well said. I want to add on the new servers --- a player in CHAPTER II has NO ACCESS to tier 3. To set the bar at 100 Tier 3 of each type stopped me dead. The cost to buy tier 3 from the Wholesaler is ridiculous at Chapter 2 and you buy them in increments of 16 at a time -- cost climbs fast. Would have to buy it 7 times -I doubt my Town Hall could have even held that much coins at one time. Not to mention there was no one to trade with to get YOUR boosted tier 3 cause you CAN't Build it yet. It might sound small to developers but setting it at 25 would have been hard but not destructively hard. ( I am in top 500 on the new server. I now have tier 3 and still can't get trades taken up.)

The mine supplies quest was horrible and tedious. I was DWARF level and had to mine over 400k for one quest. Scared what higher levels had to reach. That was boring, tedious, time-consuming, and I won't do it again. There is life outside the game.

3 accounts - only one finished -- with no fireworks - no pithy comment - just ended - flat. BLEH - big let down - Across my 3 fellowships I have only heard of 1 other person who finished all Events.

With only 165 sugar candies towards final reward = BLAH - should be really close if finish all - not so far off.

Dwarf level - give 30k tier I is reasonable - 30K tier 3 is ridiculous and NOT WORTH THE REWARDS

Quest ideas -
go visit FS
go visit neighbors
Trade X amount of resources
Get X # of AW runes
get X # of relics

My baby account on new server Stopped on Quest #30 - could not complete
My Mid Account got stuck on #90 - had nowhere near the ability to pay 33k Tier 3 resources 3 times !

And I did buy some diamonds - to upgrade my Academy for future quests. Still wasn't enough.

=================
PLEASE MAKE BUILDING YOU BUY WITH DIAMONDS LEVEL WITH YOU ! OR make it clear in the description that it won't.

===================

Post-Event Impressions

The Event is over now.
Here is the feedback I have received from the EPL Facebook group - you are free to add comments!

1. Timon says that they try to ‘balance’ the quests - so that some favor newcomers, and some favor advanced players.
Nice in theory - but they did not succeed entirely this time!

2. What I like is that some of the Quest awards offer useful materials: Goods, KP Supplies, and Coins - which will be invaluable to a ‘Newbie’!
Sadly this falls away later after quest 14.

3. Daily Feeding quests
It is difficult to fault these!
Perfect for a newcomer - the amounts of materials required are quite do-able, even for an entrance level player.

4. The Consecutive Quests

Sadly, there have been many complaints about these!
Some were virtually impossible for newcomers, and some were equally undo-able for Advanced players - because the massive amounts of goods required are so expensive that many (most?) advanced players abandoned the Event,..

5. Here is a reply from Support to one of my players:

“Thank you for contacting Elvenar support. We are sorry to hear that you are experiencing difficulties with the game. Unfortunately, the events will not necessarily be able to be completed by everyone. It is just not possible to create an event that every player can complete. That is one of the reasons that there are multiple events per year, and why the quests within the events change as well.
“We will be happy to forward your feedback to the developers to take into consideration as they work on planning future events.
“Please let us know if you have any further questions, and have a lovely day!
“Kind regards...”

The highlighting is mine - and I do not agree with this statement at all!
They will lose players with that attitude...

Issues and thoughts:
  1. These event buildings are GREAT for ‘newbies’ - giving access to levels of Culture that you cannot buy in the shop. When you chapter up and outgrow the buildings, you sell them and buy replacements in the next Event.
    They are NOT much use for advanced players, above Orcs & Goblins - where you need to fill your city with Culture buildings that produce Mana.
    (Timon said in Q & A that this is planned for future Events.)
  2. The special fighting abilities buildings that boost troops’ strength are a good idea.
    One can collect a few and place them the week your fellowship goes for the Tenth Chest.

3. The stand-alone Orc’s Nest Building which produces Orcs for players in Chapter VIII is a great idea!
    It allows you to perhaps delete an Armory - and its support buildings too: Residences, Culture and Workshops that you need to build it and keep it producing

4. The stand-alone buildings that produce fighting units (Vallorian Guards, Orc Strategist) are very useful for beginners who do not have access to troops like this.
    The one that produces Orc Strategist is great for all Human players below Orcs chapter, who do not have a comparable unit.
    (Elves have Golem which is roughly similar).

5. It is worth doing the Event just for the Knowledge Points!
    You can throw the buildings away, if you don’t want them.

6. Boring, repetitive and irrelevant Quests are not good!
  • This is a golden opportunity to teach the ‘newbie’ - each quest could be used to teach new skills that he / she has not yet discovered!!

Examples might be:

i. Use a Shortcut HotKey;

ii. Zoom your city in once and out again

iii. Change your City Name and your Avatar

iv. Upgrade 6 blocks of street (the reward window would tell the ‘newbie’ that he / she gained Culture, and so they should do all the rest!)

v. Sell a Culture building (Easy one! - one could build and sell a 1 x 1 Signpost.
    The reward window would tell the ‘newbie’ that he / she could gain Culture by selling & replacing obsolete buildings!)

vi. Whisper with a friend in the Chat window

vii. Collect Three Treasure Chests from Neighborhood visits

viii. Find and visit a Character called ‘Mystery Jackpot’ (teaching the player search function) and polish his Mystery Building.
    This would spin a wheel to generates a random mystery prize, varying from a few supplies to something very special!
    This city open for the whole of the event for a daily Mystery Spin.
    Wouldn't that be FUN?

ix. This list took me 5 minutes to dream up - there are obviously many, many more possibilities!

• Timon wants us to trade more - so let’s have trading Quests like ‘trade with someone on the map 10 times’; ‘trade with someone in your fellowship 20 times’; ‘place 10 trades for your first boosted material’,etc etc.

• Co-operation with Fellowships is part of Timon’s plan - so what about ‘visit fellowship members 24 times?”
    To encourage us to have bigger fellowships!

• Forging trading- and visiting friendships on the Map is desirable - so how about ‘visit x number of people on the Map’?

• The Design Team want us to use the Magic Academy more - so how about ‘Cast 5 Spells’?

DeletedUser7320

Very good point - and more true when considering that finishing did not give you the points needed to earn the final grand prize reward

The final 9 quests didn't have a reasonable cost:reward at all.
Even ignoring the gruelling tedium of the supplies quests, the goods costs alone were a huge turnoff, and just made no sense compared to spending those goods in the tournament instead.

Those quests would get you enough beets to win on average:
  • 25 KP
  • 24 relics
  • 5 runes
  • 1 building
Compare that to how many extra provinces you could cater for the same price, and what those rewards would be.
For myself, I could easily complete an extra 4 provinces with far far fewer goods, and the rewards would be
  • 44 KP
  • 108 relics
  • 8 runes
  • 4 PoP spells
  • 4 EE spells
And as a bonus I wouldn't have to spend 4-7 days doing the boring as heck supplies quests.

Honestly if you went past quest #90 I think you may have made the wrong choice.

DeletedUser188

considering that finishing did not give you the points needed to earn the final grand prize reward
This is true and its been true for every event since last years Summer Solstice event
None of the 3rd grand prizes, for any of the events, have been obtainable by finishing the 99+ quest list alone
Unless the player was lucky and earned a ton of extra beets, by opening chests , to gain enough rock candy for 3rd prize
The chances of that happening are less than 1%

DeletedUser7320

Exactly my point - people will stop playing if they can't win. No one likes to strive and fail

Basic psychology - action - reward - repeat action

action - no reward - why bother

This is true and its been true for every event since last years Summer Solstice event
None of the 3rd grand prizes, for any of the events, have been obtainable by finishing the 99+ quest list alone
Unless the player was lucky and earned a ton of extra beets, by opening chests , to gain enough rock candy for 3rd prize
The chances of that happening are less than 1%