• Dear forum visitor,

It looks as though you have not registered for a forum account, or are not signed in. In order to participate in current discussions or create new threads, you will need to register for a forum account by clicking on the link below.

Click here to register for a forum account!

If you already have a forum account, you can simply click on the 'Log in' button at the top right of your forum screen.

Your Elvenar Team

Gripe and Bemoan the Horrors of (BAD) Cross-tier (ALWAYS)

• Thread starter DeletedUser20951
  • Start date

DeletedUser23187

Thanks for the feedback and the suggestions. Putting KP in some else's wonder is a good and obvious idea. Doh!
I also like the cooperative nature of this game.

Early on one of my fellows asked me how much marble I had. I proudly told him I had almost 2700. I was doing good on marble at the time.
He explained that he had well over a million and asked me to put up some zero star trades so he could give me a boost.
I was a bit reluctant, but I put them up. Before he could take them they were taken by a neighbor, who was just paying it forward.

I will certainly pay it forward when I have the chance.

DeletedUser20951

has looking ahead and recognizing patterns died? Is that no longer a thing now?
You fool! It has nothing to do with that. What is wrong with society, even the limited form that exists in the online realm, can be boiled down to the, "Get yours, screw everybody else" mentality, risen from the depths of our ids and given free reign. Glad we've sorted that out, selves. *nods sagely, and then lights burnt offerings to further the antitrust investigations against Google*

Ashrem

Oh Wise One
You fool! It has nothing to do with that. What is wrong with society, even the limited form that exists in the online realm, can be boiled down to the, "Get yours, screw everybody else" mentality, risen from the depths of our ids and given free reign. Glad we've sorted that out, selves. *nods sagely, and then lights burnt offerings to further the antitrust investigations against Google*
Just remember, it's okay to talk to yourself, as long as you don't answer back.

DeletedUser20951

Just remember, it's okay to talk to yourself, as long as you don't answer back.

It's been proven that talking to yourself helps with working out kinks in your thought process and problem solving, and we do it all the time in our heads. Since I'm fairly quiet in person and often observe people without saying a word, usually while smoking in some out of the way spot, I've been apologized to countless times when they realize I have been listening to them talking to themselves, and it never fails to confuse me, as the habit doesn't give me pause. "THIS IS NORMAL. Why do you say you are sorry?!" XD

DeletedUser20255

Early on one of my fellows asked me how much marble I had. I proudly told him I had almost 2700. I was doing good on marble at the time.
He explained that he had well over a million and asked me to put up some zero star trades so he could give me a boost.
I was a bit reluctant, but I put them up. Before he could take them they were taken by a neighbor, who was just paying it forward.
Nice story. Re. being reluctant. I understand. It feels like a handout. Pride comes into play. But, like you. I took the help too and now I'm bigger and stronger (not in the millionaire class!) I give back. Because i'm digital I cut it off at 20K points. After that it's time to fly, little birdie. I think that's good for both of us.

DeletedUser20255

Can I have like a one hour pass into your head to be taken in 5 second increments?

Sir Squirrel

Artist EXTRAORDINAIRE and Buddy Fan Club member
lol @Count Mein !!
I dislike cross-tier trades too, but like you I don't ban them in my fellowship. When my smaller fellows need extra goods though (and when they first join and I give them some goods) I will tell them that I would prefer a 0 star trade in the same tier better then a cross-tier trade of tier 3 for tier 1, because I don't want to see them get into the habit of using cross-tier trades.
This is the message I send my fellows to try and make them understand why I don't like cross tier trades :
As the arch mage I try to recruit members to balance the goods boosts so everyone's trades through all tiers will be needed. Because of this if to many cross-tier trades are posted (tier 3 for tier 1) it will throw the balance off and will eventually cause a shortage of certain goods. For example, a player that has marble for a boosted tier 1 good should trade that marble for steel and planks. If said player takes too many trades for tier 3 goods, they will be short marble for trading for steel and planks. They will then have to use cross-tier trades to get them goods and before long there is shortages of tier 1 goods throughout the FS. So cross-tier trades are fine in moderation if you are really short on goods, but are not sustainable if posted all the time. If you are always low on tier one goods, you might want to build another of your tier one boosted factories!
Thanks for your understanding in this matter.

If anyone wants to use this for their FS you are more then welcome to copy it!

Last edited:

DeletedUser20255

lol @Count Mein
As the arch mage I try to recruit members to balance the goods boosts so everyone's trades through all tiers will be needed. Because of this if to many cross-tier trades are posted (tier 3 for tier 1) it will throw the balance off and will eventually cause a shortage of certain goods. For example, a player that has marble for a boosted tier 1 good should trade that marble for steel and planks. If said player takes too many trades for tier 3 goods, they will be short marble for trading for steel and planks. They will then have to use cross-tier trades to get them goods and before long there is shortages of tier 1 goods throughout the FS.
You have given excellent reasons in support of sharing inventory levels as I proposed earlier. A couple of players said they were uncomfortable with this. It made them feel "icky". Everything is relative so let me put this in terms relative to me. I have approx 53K points. I'm the AM of a FS ranked slightly over 100. My inventory levels are between 100K and 220K for all goods except scrolls and silk (under 50K) and Elixir (over 500K).
Have I given away information that would leave me at a competitive disadvantage? I don't think so. But if a significant number of my FS would share their inventory levels we could develop a plan to level our inventories maximizing each's competitive advantages.
Or so it seems to me. Possibly I've strayed off-topic. Forgive me.

Risen Malchiah

Silk is my boosted T1 and I thought I could trade silk for scrolls, 1 to 1. Not really, as it turns out. Eventually I got enough space to make some scrolls manufacturing and I will make the 700 scrolls I need. The 1 to 1 silk to scroll trades are still up, but I am not hopeful.
I understand the temptation to do this, but remember your boosted silk yields so much more that you can practically give it away at a 2:1 trade and still come out ahead. And eventually when you get your boosts to max, you'll make 7x more silk than you could ever make of the others. ;)

In your example, try offering 800 silk for 700 scrolls and see if it's taken quickly.

Yeah, at some point, we make and use so many goods that sometimes it actually helps *both* of us if we pass on goods to newer players. A single encounter in my tournament might pay for your *entire* week. That can be really helpful for a fellowship trying to get further in the tourney.

Sir Squirrel

Artist EXTRAORDINAIRE and Buddy Fan Club member
You have given excellent reasons in support of sharing inventory levels as I proposed earlier. A couple of players said they were uncomfortable with this. It made them feel "icky". Everything is relative so let me put this in terms relative to me. I have approx 53K points. I'm the AM of a FS ranked slightly over 100. My inventory levels are between 100K and 220K for all goods except scrolls and silk (under 50K) and Elixir (over 500K).
Have I given away information that would leave me at a competitive disadvantage? I don't think so. But if a significant number of my FS would share their inventory levels we could develop a plan to level our inventories maximizing each's competitive advantages.
Or so it seems to me. Possibly I've strayed off-topic. Forgive me.

The only time I would ask a member what their good levels are at is when I am helping them build up goods with trades when they are small or if they had a problem that I could only answer knowing that info. If you are taking most (or even a lot of the trades posted by your members) you will be able to see what you are short on, as it will reflect on what goods you have and don't have. Sounds like your FS is short on almost all tier two goods. The best option you have in my opinion (at least until your smaller members get their tier 2 goods happening) is to try and get yourself and at least a couple of your more active higher level members (or Mages) to add another of their tier 2 boosted factories and trade with their neighbours to help get your tier two goods built back up again.

Last edited:

Crowella

My boosted tier 3 good is elixir, of which there seems to be a gracious plenty. After reading the details on the various event buildings, I think I understand why.

So far I haven't even bothered to build an elixir manufactory (I unlocked the boost technology a couple days ago.) Part of that is because my city is full of level 1 steel manufactories for the event, but another part is because so far I've been fine using my travelling merchant III to produce dust and gems and then trading some of them for elixir. That's not going to meet my needs long terms, but probably for the rest of chapter 3 and the beginning of chapter 4 it will work fine. (I have around 800 of each magical good in inventory right now and make around 100 a day.)

So I'm doing my small part to not only not contribute to the elixir glut but also reduce it, for the moment.

My eventual plan, looking ahead, is to build about an 8:4:1 ratio of tier 1:tier2:tier3 goods factories. In my initial build, that will give me 8 steel manufactories, 4 crystal manufactories and 1 elixir manufactory. (Currently I have 2 crystal, no elixir and a bazillion steel, but with 6 higher-level "permanent" steel factories.) I take a pretty deliberate pace through the game, so the demand for goods for building, research and province negotiation is not very high, but I anticipate increased demands to cater in tournaments in the future.

DeletedUser20951

Can I have like a one hour pass into your head to be taken in 5 second increments?
Of course you can! I definitely wouldn't recommend it, due to the likely possibility of long-term mental scarring and trauma, but having even more visitors up in my headspace for my entertainment is always welcome. :)
Possibly I've strayed off-topic.
The mods don't tend to approve, but I do, and this is my thread and my word is law, so stray away.
I anticipate increased demands to cater in tournaments in the future.
Oh yes, it becomes very demanding, especially when you are in that tricky middle ground of the game, where you've yet to unlock the best version of all troops and upgrade military Wonders to decent levels. I struggle to win fights in the later stages of the tournament at my current evolution (not liking to mess around with the battle-buffing stuff doesn't help, either), and this is forcing me to cater much more than I'd like to.

mucksterme

Oh Wise One
It's been proven that talking to yourself helps with working out kinks in your thought process and problem solving, and we do it all the time in our heads.

Why is it people always say "we"?
They think whatever it is they do then everybody does it.
People say things like, "Everyone cheats on their taxes."
"We all lie to our spouses."
"Who hasn't killed a hobo just to hear the screams?"
"We all take office supplies from work."

Well Mr Antipathy
I'll have you know that I do not talk to myself.
I haven't for years.
And I never will again unless I apologize.
I know why :mad:

DeletedUser20951

Why is it people always say "we"?
I have a fetish for cattle prodding out of the woodwork those who can't stand to remain quiet if it's insinuated that they might fit in with the common rabble. ;D
And I never will again unless I apologize.
Don't fall for that trap! You know any apology issued would be insincere, so don't be fooled by your lies!

DeletedUser20951

I feel like I should post something "BURN CROSS-TIER TRADING TO THE GROUND"ish, but while I am concerned with the economic woes of the fictional worlds, what is of the utmost importance to me is that I am not constantly triggered by opening up the Trader.

A humble check to mark to block (or unblock, I don't care which is default, as long as I can make the cross-tiers disappear from view) cross-tier trades, PLEASE (it does what it's told!).