• Dear forum visitor,

It looks as though you have not registered for a forum account, or are not signed in. In order to participate in current discussions or create new threads, you will need to register for a forum account by clicking on the link below.

Click here to register for a forum account!

If you already have a forum account, you can simply click on the 'Log in' button at the top right of your forum screen.

Your Elvenar Team

Gripe and Bemoan the Horrors of (BAD) Cross-tier (ALWAYS)

• Thread starter DeletedUser20951
  • Start date

DeletedUser20951

Did someone suggest a 2nd Trader just for Sentient Goods in the past?
I'm pretty sure it's been suggested a few times, but I, too, am too lazy to look. XD

Don't think I've seen the other suggestion, though. I believe... it could help? Undecided; I'll have to consider it more.

Risen Malchiah

I dont feel a need for a 2nd trader for sentients, but I'd LOVE sentients to be filterable or on a separate tab. It is stupid to go through 20-40 pages of trades searching for the trades worth taking. (Even worse on mobile where you dont have a fellowship filter and just have to keep scrolling & scanning for names of people you want to help.)

Enevhar Aldarion

Oh Wise One
if there's a good reason to "hate" big trades, I'd like to hear it

I'm now in Constructs and I have been posting trades of 50 - 100k from as far back as S&D. Let me break down what my goods situation looks like

atm I have 4.3 million T1 goods, 4 million T2 goods and 5.8 million T3 goods. they are atm roughly balanced. I have 6/6/4 factories and Mountain Halls at level 21.

Wow.... *sarcastic golf clap*

I am most of the way through Constructs and have right around 1 million each of the nine normal goods and maybe 100k each of my three boosted sentient goods. I have one manufactory of each type and my Mountain Halls is level 7. I do not think I ever post trades bigger than 5k per trade, mainly because I just do not need to. I will accept trades bigger than that when I need to, or more often if I am helping someone else out, but generally not bigger than 10k-20k per trade.

DeletedUser12171

I am most of the way through Constructs and have right around 1 million each of the nine normal goods and maybe 100k each of my three boosted sentient goods. I have one manufactory of each type and my Mountain Halls is level 7. I do not think I ever post trades bigger than 5k per trade, mainly because I just do not need to. I will accept trades bigger than that when I need to, or more often if I am helping someone else out, but generally not bigger than 10k-20k per trade.
Yeah and so you perfectly proved my point - we all post trades that we need. You need 10 - 20 k per trade. I need 100s k weekly. Why do you hate my trades?

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser20951

Hey now, while I am pleased with your usage of an asterisk action, I can't say I approve of the insult. Most of us like to brag a little about our possession of a significant amount of fictional items, but I didn't really see @RandomNo.'s comment as braggy, just a statement of fact.

DeletedUser12171

I didn't really see @RandomNo.'s comment as braggy, just a statement of fact.
I'd just like to point out that the fact in question is that a big output requires big volume of trades to balance

If you make 100k goods a week, to balance 60% of that you could just post 6 x 10 k trades. I make 1 million a week, to balance 60% of that in lots of 10k means I need to put 60 trades just for 1 tier. Now why would I do that if I could put out the same number of trades (6) at 100k each? Is my time less valuable than a smaller player? Do my fingers deserve more punishment than the small producer?

Oh and, apart from the slight, which I'll overlook, I still haven't seen what exactly are the problems big trades are causing that they should be hated against. I do not discriminate among big or small when trading so please just because @Enevhar Aldarion you are not a big producer, don't hate on those who are.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser20951

Now why would I do that if I could put out the same number of trades (6) at 100k each? Is my time less valuable than a smaller player?
It also saves a ton of clicking for those accepting the trades. Doesn't take me long to start ignoring page after page after page of identical small trades from an advanced player, no matter whether I need the goods posted. Luckily, since the Trader groups 'em all together and I don't have to analyze the amounts of same-tier (haven't been able to break the habit of automatically doing this with cross-tier, because my brain hates me), it is easier to jump over to different trades, and I am not irritated near as much as I am with cross-tier. "Near as much" is the keyword phrase, though, as the practice does bug me.

Deleted User - 3932582

How much time do you guys spend in the trader? Serious question.

I personally don't see a number of trades posted as a significant issue at all. I probably only look in the trader every 2-3 days, and even if I have 50 pages of trades there, it takes me about 1 second per page to assess if there is anything of interest. So I would spend 1 minute every 2-3 days. I don't even use filters, though I could if I would be really annoyed with page flipping. I pick what I want, if it's not sufficient I post my own. Done.

Comparing to some other things in Elvenar, this is far from being a major time sink / grind. For me.

NightshadeCS

I don't have anything against smaller players. As I've said elsewhere, if anyone needs a trade, post it and someone will take it. I take small trades too. I don't see the necessity of me posting numerous trades of 1,000 each for a small guy that I don't even know exists, when said small guy, if he needs, can post trades of 1,000 each whereby I would pick up. In fact I pick up small trades all the time, even for my non-boosted goods, as long as they are even and non-cross tier, because I can certainly spare some non-boosted for a smaller player. I need big flow of goods, therefore I post big trades. Someone who needs small flow, can post small trades. If anyone has a mindset against that, well, that's just too bad! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Yes, THIS! Post trades for what you need. If it's not working out for you, let's see what other problems may exist and address those. Complaints from players that they can never find what they want in the trader never make sense to me. Maybe if they are posting fair trades (within tier) and they sit around for 2 or more days, I can sympathize.

DeletedUser20255

I personally don't see a number of trades posted as a significant issue at all. I probably only look in the trader every 2-3 days, and even if I have 50 pages of trades there, it takes me about 1 second per page to assess if there is anything of interest. So I would spend 1 minute every 2-3 days. I don't even use filters, though I could if I would be really annoyed with page flipping. I pick what I want, if it's not sufficient I post my own. Done.

Comparing to some other things in Elvenar, this is far from being a major time sink / grind. For me.
If I were only interested in myself I would probably limit my trader visits to one per day. Mostly to balance my inventory and fishing for goods I'm short on. Since I'm also interested in my FS members I visit at least 4 times per day to see what my members need and to pick up trades they are offering to help out the FS as a whole before they are snapped up by outsiders.
Filtering to FS only usually limits it to about 4 pages so it doesn't take long.

DeletedUser20255

Yes, THIS! Post trades for what you need. If it's not working out for you, let's see what other problems may exist and address those. Complaints from players that they can never find what they want in the trader never make sense to me. Maybe if they are posting fair trades (within tier) and they sit around for 2 or more days, I can sympathize.
We're worlds apart. The shortage of T2 goods is real and posting for them (both big and small) doesn't make that go away. 2 or more days? How about expiring after a week.

NightshadeCS

I personally don't see a number of trades posted as a significant issue at all. I probably only look in the trader every 2-3 days, and even if I have 50 pages of trades there, it takes me about 1 second per page to assess if there is anything of interest.

I think this can definitely come down to play style. Being a min-maxer, can I assume that you keep your excess goods levels fairly low so as to maximize efficiency?

Some players take on the role of providing a lot of goods for their fellowship, which can come about a few different ways.

Some make a choice. They maybe don't like fighting in tournies, so they concentrate on productions and funnel them out to their FS.

Others just like to have those big bank balances and then find themselves in the position to funnel goods. That has happened to me, since I am not in any great rush to get to the end of the game. I take my time between chapters, upgrading buildings and building up buffers of goods and troops.

I, therefore, check the trader every time I log on (which is often) and clear what I can for my FS and even some of my neighbors.

NightshadeCS

We're worlds apart. The shortage of T2 goods is real and posting for them (both big and small) doesn't make that go away. 2 or more days? How about expiring after a week.

I do indeed feel for you, then, @Count Mein . That is an excessive wait for in-tier trades, no matter which tier we are talking about. There are many factors that may be contributing to that for you, including world, spot on the map, fellowship makeup, and the nature of the trades you are posting.

May I ask, are you making your trades 3-star and still having them expire after a week?

DeletedUser20951

That is an excessive wait for in-tier trades, no matter which tier we are talking about.
Yes, that is quite excessive. Think the longest wait I have personally experienced, when my neighborhood was deader (it has since picked up with a few big players becoming active again), was a couple days. There is something curious I have noticed, though, which is that those who keep, and have kept for months, a bunch of cross-tier posted at all times appear to be having their regular in-tier trades ignored. *squints*

DeletedUser20255

I do indeed feel for you, then, @Count Mein . That is an excessive wait for in-tier trades, no matter which tier we are talking about. There are many factors that may be contributing to that for you, including world, spot on the map, fellowship makeup, and the nature of the trades you are posting.

May I ask, are you making your trades 3-star and still having them expire after a week?
I refuse to make in-tier trades 3 star. Just stubborn I guess. But cross-tier I have offered 10K T3 for 10K T2 and they have expired.

Enevhar Aldarion

Oh Wise One
I refuse to make in-tier trades 3 star. Just stubborn I guess. But cross-tier I have offered 10K T3 for 10K T2 and they have expired.

I don't know how other players feel when they see these types of trades, but they show so rarely for me that I do not touch them. I always worry that the player posted them by accident and I do not want to be the one who takes them. I am not a greedy player.

DeletedUser20951

I refuse to make in-tier trades 3 star.
I don't make mine three star, either, but it's not really a refusal, it's due to a lack of necessity. If I were having trouble with my trades being taken, I would bump 'em up to this, so they are bumped up on the Trader, as well, and more likely to be accepted.
I don't know how other players feel when they see these types of trades, but they show so rarely for me that I do not touch them.
They're relatively common for me, but I grab them only if I need the goods offered, since I don't want to profit off of it and trading is fairly robust in my areas.

DeletedUser20255

I don't know how other players feel when they see these types of trades, but they show so rarely for me that I do not touch them. I always worry that the player posted them by accident and I do not want to be the one who takes them. I am not a greedy player.
I have sometimes worried about that too. But not lately. Not in the downward direction. I'm not greedy but I would take that trade in a heartbeat if I wasn't worried about my own imbalance. When I see 3 star CT trades in an upward direction (rare) I take them because why not me. If the offeror is in my FS I try to educate them. The response is usually a pat-on-the-head type thank you.

Deleted User - 3932582

Being a min-maxer, can I assume that you keep your excess goods levels fairly low so as to maximize efficiency?
Not specifically, no. Goods are just not a constraining factor (haven't been in a long time), so I don't pay too much attention to balances. And there are limits to how low I can go in terms of production. If I only have 2 manufactories per tier, I can't effectively reduce production by 10% - I can only reduce it by 50%, and that's too much. As is, I am running 3:2:2 setup so there is not much to cut on production.

Incidentally, my goods balances are relatively consistent over longer term, at 300-500K per good. So it seems that this is an equilibrium setup for my play.