• Dear forum visitor,

It looks as though you have not registered for a forum account, or are not signed in. In order to participate in current discussions or create new threads, you will need to register for a forum account by clicking on the link below.

Click here to register for a forum account!

If you already have a forum account, you can simply click on the 'Log in' button at the top right of your forum screen.

Your Elvenar Team

Feedback Official Elvenar Discord server

Yavimaya

Scroll-Keeper
But all this has less than nothing to do with Discord. It is turning into a discussion on what system is best. I'm not going there again; the best system is what you are comfy with and works for you. For us that's the threads, for you it is something else, end of discussion.

I have stated this before;
I have no issues with people using Discord if they feel like it.
I have no issues with Discord being added by Inno as a way of communicating.

However, I do have major issues with being forced to use something outside the game itself. Even these forums one can read without having to make an account; an account is only needed for posting. Even searching can be done without logging in. For Discord however I need to have an account to even be able to read anything.

I also have major issues with a CHAT-server replacing an actual forum, as that will quickly become a cluttered and unorganized mess of messages. And retrieving older topics/posts is just a real pain.
I also absolutely abhor the fact that strangers messaged me about different things, just because they saw me being online.

So, also as stated before; I have been there, done that, not interested, deleted my account, not going there again for this. Inno can go screw themselves.
To add onto that you cannot pm anybody unless you send a friend request first and look like some creeper and other person recieving the friend request doesn't know why you are sending them one unless they see a tag in discord.

Yavimaya

Scroll-Keeper
So, in other words, we have to use a markdown language to format things nicely, unlike here where there are at least some icons to do things like make headings, tables and lists. Oh and bold, italic, etc. Bold in discord is **this is bold** Gee, discord is sooo much better than what the forum offers.
BTW, how do I change font size or color? I don't see that listed in the markdown page. The page does mention that other markdown languages have this.

Phone call for Discord. 1990 calling. They want their advanced tech back.
Ty for making me smile and laugh lol!

Yavimaya

Scroll-Keeper
I realise the decision has already been made so feedback is basically irrelevant, but just in case any of this feedback is ever passed on and informs future decisions, I’m going to throw my two cents in after mulling it over a while.
But we still have time to try to get them to keep the forums as well! Not irrelvenant just yet!

crackie

Chef, Scroll-Keeper, Buddy's #1 Fan
Here's another use of forum...
A player from old FS just asked me a question. I can't send him links in-game because we're not in the same fellowship. I can send clickable links to him as a DM on the forum though. On discord, I'd have to add him as a friend to send DMs. I get random DMs from strangers asking random questions. I don't want to add everyone as a friend. If it's a question I can answer, I try to answer them and help, but I'd like to leave them on the forum when I exit and not have follow me home like stray dogs.

Yogi Dave

Here's another use of forum...
A player from old FS just asked me a question. I can't send him links in-game because we're not in the same fellowship.
For people in my FS, I send links in an in-game message or put in chat to info in the forum that they might be interested in or I've been asked a question that would have a long, long answer, but it is in the forum. This won't be effective with discord since they have to have an account. Again, loss of information to players due to using discord. Fav links I give them are to post by Karvest in the beta forum, especially his animations for the upcoming event's new buildings.

Assume that all the people who are members of the forum join discord, which won't happen, and others who just want to see info join, Inno will have a larger count of people using the system. That number will be used to 'prove' it was a good move.

I feel like @mucksterme. I keep being drawn back to the thread and still don't see an upside to the move. :( But expressing that doesn't matter. It's a done deal. As I see it, we lose much more than we gain.

quin629

I see the Elvenar Discord as a (sad) repeat of the official FaceBook page. A few knowledgeable voices drowned out by endless repetitions of the same two dozen new player questions and complaints, repeated endlessly because there is no good way for those folks to find the existing answers. And then a fair number of bad answers to those questions as well, from other new players.

The membership numbers may be higher (since players can't lurk & read). I suspect that the number of members who return to the Discord more than twice will show a big drop. And the added value of the Discord, in my opinion, is very low indeed.

crackie

Chef, Scroll-Keeper, Buddy's #1 Fan
so no DMs are allowed.
Well the good news is I fiddled around and it seems accepting of DMs or requests is a user-level setting, but that does also mean it's not a server level setting. Hence, there is no way for mods to know if someone is DMing you unless you report it yourself. So while it may be a rule, it's not really enforceable in preventing people from DMing you. The default discord setting is set to allow DMs and friend requests in case anybody needs to go in their settings and change that.

Yogi Dave

I broke down and joined the Elvenar discord server. Right off the bat I have a question since it's impacting a feature I use in my FS's discord server. I ask about this on their server, but don't think there is much of a chance to get an answer with all the noise. So, I'm hoping someone in this saner environment will be able to help me.

When someone post a message in my FS's discord server a red dot appears on the icon in my Window's taskbar. That is great since it alerts me to a new message there. As a mage, I like to see there are new messages ASAP since it may be a question. There are at most a few each day. However, the Elvenar server has people posting and joining it seems like every few minutes. It also put the red dot on the icon. That is an annoyance since I'm not interested in jumping into it whenever someone post a message there.

So, the question is, does anyone here know how to turn the 'red dot' feature off per server?

C-Nymph

So, the question is, does anyone here know how to turn the 'red dot' feature off per server?
You can mute specific channels, but you can also mute the entire server if that's what you wish.
Click on the down-arrow next to the server name to expand the menu:
1695317401643.png

Then click Notification Settings to open this screen and toggle Mute on:
1695317468179.png

Edit: on mobile it's the three dots next to the server name, then at the bottom right click Notifications, then click Mute.

Last edited: