• Dear forum visitor,

It looks as though you have not registered for a forum account, or are not signed in. In order to participate in current discussions or create new threads, you will need to register for a forum account by clicking on the link below.

Click here to register for a forum account!

If you already have a forum account, you can simply click on the 'Log in' button at the top right of your forum screen.

Your Elvenar Team

Orcs - surviving them with less pain

Thistleknot

I'm jumping in a bit late in the conversation, but here's my opinion on things. Let me say that I have done a lot of exploring, so I probably have more space than some people that are just reaching the Orc chapter.

Jewess - I had the orc portal at level 4, 20 shroom farms at level 4 each, and 3 rally points at level 3 each. I did not sell off any residencies or culture. I tend to plod along at a steady pace. As I started upgrading buildings, especially my residencies, I had to completely restructure my city.

Draconomicon - The Barracks size is not a factor as far as getting through research or other factors in the orc chapter. As always, upgrading effects the speed that you train troops, but that is the only thing it effects.

I have 4 armories upgraded to the max (level 23). I am still fighting the good fight, but I am negotiating more. I did build a bunch of orc troops, but this is in hopes that they get an upgrade and become more useful. Bobbykitty is correct when she said that you can burn through the orcs quickly when you start upgrading buildings. The armories produce a varying amount of orcs based on the level of the armory. Check the Other Resources button directly to the left of the Coins Storage information at the top of the screen to see how many orcs that you have stockpiled.

I've used a combination of the Elvenarchitect and Excel spreadsheets to plan my city. Both work for me, but I think the Elvenarchitect would be easier for most people.

As far as the pace of the game, I just want to remind everyone that city builders are not really known for speed. There is a lot of collect, reset, and wait, but city builders tend to be a hurry-up-and-wait style of game. As dikke ikke said, you have to play on with the consequences of your decisions. You can choose to speed through a chapter, but I think you miss out on the game when you do so. I am making my way through the wood elves currently and know that I am about to hit a huge wall because of mana. I need a lot of it for research. It is produced at a slow rate. And it degrades every 24 hours by 10%. These are just challenges that you have to face. The events do throw a wrench in things as well and you must exercise your ability to make choices and decide how much time and space you want to devote to the events versus your regular city building.

Regardless of the changes, and there are some I definitely have not liked even though they have effected me minimally, I still have a growing city. I am looking forward to the challenges of finishing the wood elves and whatever else Inno throws at me.

dikke ikke

@SoggyShorts : The only reason for having all 9 type of factories was diversity, but now in orc level I am running low on supplies most of the time and the only solution is more efficiency by removing the non booted factories and replace them by booted factories + trying to get to 12 t1, 6 t2 and 3 t3 factories to keep them all balanced. At the moment my boosts are t1 693%, t2 670%, t3 maxed out at 700%, so by then end of January they will all max out at 700%

DeletedUser2191

@SoggyShorts : The only reason for having all 9 type of factories was diversity, but now in orc level I am running low on supplies most of the time and the only solution is more efficiency by removing the non booted factories and replace them by booted factories + trying to get to 12 t1, 6 t2 and 3 t3 factories to keep them all balanced. At the moment my boosts are t1 693%, t2 670%, t3 maxed out at 700%, so by then end of January they will all max out at 700%

I don't know how your city is for space. I'm in fairy chapter, just getting the fairy production under way. When I took my t1 goods from level 15 to 16, I had 5 marble factories. When the first 4 got to level 16, I had enough of a gain to equal the production of the level 15 factory and around 150 extra on top for a 3 hour cycle, I'm sitting around 400 or 500% boost for marble. I am able to maintain 500k plus inventory daily with the remaining 4 marble factories at level 19 I have (sold the level 15 factory). This is with regular trading, upgrading, inventory drops below 500k when I need to negotiate provinces, but is quickly built back up.

If you are not in a FS even 12 t1 factories seems too much, probably could manage with 6 as a solo player. If you are in a FS, I think 4 should be enough. As for t2 factories, if a similar pattern repeats after the first level of upgrade, I will be going from 4 t2's down to 3. Likewise with t3's, I'll be going from 3 down to 2.

Other factor could be amount of time you are available to collect production cycles in a day, maybe that is why you are choosing to carry soo many of each. However from a space point of view, it seems like a waste considering how crucial space is to everyone.

Just my thoughts, maybe something you have already considered or a fresh idea for you to look into.

dikke ikke

Thanks for your advice, I will considerate it. I am member of an FS, I have a good neighborhood, I guess. But I play heavy on the tournaments, I hope that with the same amount of supplies or even less I get more goods, the boosted goods I can divide then over the non boosted ones giving me more goods in total to cater (always needed for the last levels of the tournament) and for occasional negotiations

DeletedUser4778

Thanks so much for the detailed and well-thought-out answer, @Thistleknot. I was really wondering about a minimum barracks level requirement but figured there wasn't one since I don't recall reading anything about it. And, yes, I'm impatient and this game is a waiting game. I can be patient if the rewards are satisfying so I'll see how much more or less I enjoy the game and how busy I'll be in the new year with a new job and hunting for and moving to a new apartment.

DeletedUser4778

Have you tried padmapper? google it
Sadly very few results for Manila. My city and country suck. :(

Btw, just realized why I've been dragging my feet about city planning. It's because it will all depend on the # of Winter Stars I get but I finally got a good revised layout for my first orc city plan (entirely dependent on getting 12 Winter Stars which I highly doubt I'll get but one can hope). With quite a bit of redesigning and plotting to maximize space, the results are actually good. I can fit 66 mushroom farms in the beginning without selling anything. It's later on that space becomes really tight but I was prepared to sell some factories for orcs. I'll put it up in my FS spreadsheet later since I have problems with saving in Elven Architect.

EDIT: Just realized I haven't tried saving a city in Chrome and it works where it doesn't in Firefox due to whatever Flash settings that I'm too lazy to figure out. Here's the link to Phase I of my Orc city:
http://www.elvenarchitect.com/city/planner/

Hm. I saved the city and reloaded it but this link only takes me to the basic city setup. What am I doing wrong?

Ah, figured it out. Created link:
http://www.elvenarchitect.com/city/planner/0e5fc57fdcc345ce870cdfed65c8d01b/

For anyone else who might be interested, as I mentioned in my e-mail to SoggyShorts, I plan to sell a minimum of the ff factories down the road: 1 gems, 1 silk (to be replaced with a 3rd armory when I can upgrade them to 5x5), and 1-3 marble. I will hate doing it because my FS needs my goods but they'll understand. I need to upgrade the workshops and plan to do so in Fairies but I'll wait until I see how many Winter Stars I get because all my city plans are dependent on that so I can better maximize space.

If I don't get the Blooming Trader's Guild in Phase I which I suspect will be the case, only a slight readjustment is necessary to fill up the space with more mushroom farms or a workshop. The 3 MF farms to the left will initially be filled with Lv19 residences which will then be moved up to the 3 spaces above allotted for Lv20-Lv21 residences.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser3312

Bobby, I too am getting bored. It's do visits, collect goods, reset, come back a few hours later, collect goods, reset, repeat. sigh... The fun has withered and died... now I stay because I feel obligated to help the FS as they have become friends.

DeletedUser3696

Bobby, I too am getting bored. It's do visits, collect goods, reset, come back a few hours later, collect goods, reset, repeat. sigh... The fun has withered and died... now I stay because I feel obligated to help the FS as they have become friends.
The game has always been a little like this - the challenge for me is to plow thru as fast as possible without tearing my whole city down!!

DeletedUser61

I was a project manager for more that 30 years.
Bid Price minus Costs = Profit

I play a "minimalist" game because "Just enough Just in time" requires the most logistical skill, and that's the part of the game that I like the most.
"Leaders win through logistics. Vision, sure. Strategy, yes. But when you go to war, you need to have both toilet paper and bullets at the right place at the right time. In other words, you must win through superior logistics."
- Tom Peters - Rule #3: Leadership Is Confusing As Hell, Fast Company, March 2001

DeletedUser2870

Everybody has to play on with the consequences of decisions they made before. If you don't want to have no Magic Academy because you find it to big or to ugly, then don't complain about lack of supplies or goods because you choose not to be able to create spells to boost your work shops or factories. If you don't join tournaments for whatever reason, don't complain you run out of relics. If you stick to the bare minimum of provinces requested by the chests, don't complain about having space problems ... Every decision earlier in the game has consequences for the rest of the game and most of the time it takes space to fix the problem. My problem is that I wanted to have every type of factory, also the non boosted ones, now at orc level I will finally drop the non boosted ones and hope I can get 3 tier 3, 6 tier 2 and 12 tier 1 factories, for tier 3 and 2 the space can easily be found, for tier 1 there is only space for 6 at the moment. That are my consequences for decisions made earlier in the game, for the rest I feel like I am still in the goldie locks zone :) even if it takes more and more effort

Im nearing the end of the woodelfchapter and wouldnt have a clue how ld fit that many factories in my city at ANY point in the game. Let alone the needed residences and workshops to support them. And I already am going light on military buildings since they are pretty useless to me.
I have 8 tier 1, 4 tier 2 and 4 tier 3 factories, all maxed out, 11 workshops to support them and am pretty much out of pop and definitely out of space with 8 marble sites, 6 Steel sites and 4 woodsites to keep my 6 forestfactories going.
All the rest of my space is used up with residences and culture/manabuildings and some pop-providing event buildings. And even so, my culture is below 125% and my unused pop is at about 200.
There just isnt enough space to put anything more up. And pretty much no way to get more either.

Last edited by a moderator:

dikke ikke

My culture also rarely goes above 125, and at the moment I have 5 tier 3 factories, 4 tier 2 factories and 6 tier 1 factories, the transition has started but it takes time to build up factories from level 1 to at least 15. My population is 38574, with only 10 'being unemployed' and as usual space is very limited. But I thought because orcs level is a waiting game, I have time to reorganize my city so it uses less supplies for the same amount of goods

Mykan

Oh Wise One
What about armories (breeding grounds) though? Is there any interaction between orcs and farms/rally points (basically techs), or they are used just for negotiation? How many armories would you recommend?

You will need armouries to produce orcs for the rally points to function. Be sure to have the armouries in play before you build a rally point, I made that mistake and it just sat there while I played catch-up.

I found 20 farms and 3 rally points eventually the farms just sat idle worse with the town with 30 farms. You need to find a balance between farms and rally points. Bobbykittys comment about more farms at start and more rally points at end is a good one, you could plan some lvl 1 farms to be replaced by rally points later allowing you to be flexible during the era and shift gears as needed.

Deleted User - 1178646

The quickest way I know to get trought the orcs chapter is to focus all recources on the portal first and get it up to level 4.
Makes you have a really slowwwwwwwww star, but you got like a bolt of lightning trough the chapter.

Difference betweeen normal and portal first was over 2 weeks faster.

Used the same trick at the woodelves and was way faster than anyone else in my guild. (or anyone I have seen that is not a diamond player buyig off there research tree)

njoy

I hope you can pass orcs asap. woodelves chapter is a lot more fun.