• Dear forum visitor,

It looks as though you have not registered for a forum account, or are not signed in. In order to participate in current discussions or create new threads, you will need to register for a forum account by clicking on the link below.

Click here to register for a forum account!

If you already have a forum account, you can simply click on the 'Log in' button at the top right of your forum screen.

Your Elvenar Team

Should winning FA prizes be a competition?

Should winning FA prizes be a competition?

• Yes, competition is a good thing.

Votes: 12 12.6%
  • Yes, it's something new and I like this direction.

Votes: 5 5.3%
  • Yes. (other reason)

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • No, I don't want other fellowships to effect my success rate.

Votes: 35 36.8%
  • No, I didn't come to Elvenar for competition.

Votes: 32 33.7%
  • No. (other reason.)

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • I was told there'd be cake.

Votes: 9 9.5%

• Total voters

SoggyShorts

Mathematician par Excellence
You mean the top prizes that were previously available to 100% individual content / events?
Yes. Previously there was individual effort and rewards, then group effort rewards were added in the tournaments. The FA brings something entirely different to Elvenar:

In every other aspect of the game the formula has been
If I do this, I get that.
The massive change in the FA is that now the formula is
If I do this, I get that, but only if no one else does this better.

Last edited:

DeletedUser7370

Maybe I'm biased in different areas as well, but I also believe that not everyone is entitled to get every prize, and I'm fine with not every FS getting the top reward. If you want a better rank next time, plan better in your FS or find a different FS that also wants it more.
I will try to spell it out for you in another way.

Everyone can get the 10th chest in the tournaments every week.
Not everyone does because of their personal and their fellowship wide effort.
Each fellowship must work to earn the reward, and many fellowships do achieve the 10th chest in the same tournament.
This structure is fine and non-competitive.

In the Fellowship Adventure:
Only 1 group could get the Rise of the Phoenix reward.
Only 1 group could get the Purple Phoenix Egg reward.
Only 1 group could get the Mysterious Magic egg reward.

If a single player in a 1 man FS were the only person to participate in the FA, then he would get the Rise of Phoenix with just 100 points and never have completed a single stage. The structure does not reward personal or fellowship effort it is based on competition.

Risen Malchiah

And if your FS is not in the running to achieve rank 1-3, then there is even less incentive to push further. My FS ranked 15 this week and felt that a single booster was not worth the effort and will likely do 1 path each stage next time unless the rewards improve.

But since comparisons have been made between FA and tournaments, one of the things that bothers me about FA is the lack of individual incentive. In the tournament, I can do really well and if the fellowship doesnt participate, I still earn relics, KP, runes and spells based on how I did. In FA, the person who puts in 500k goods and 80 badges earns the same reward as the person who puts in 1 marble.

I realize this wasn't entirely on topic, but it was on my mind all week.

DeletedUser10859

I would definitely like to see rewards based on reaching accomplishments as a fellowship. It is after all suppose to be fellowship adventures, not fellowship competitions! While we did have a good time chatting and learning how to best coordinate, it would get old pretty fast to keep watching the top fellowships on each server continually winning the big prizes. If it is changed to more of an adventure style, these fellowships would still get their prizes, but the rest of us would also have a chance to get some prizes too!

DeletedUser5776

I will try to spell it out for you in another way.

Everyone can get the 10th chest in the tournaments every week.
Not everyone does because of their personal and their fellowship wide effort.
Each fellowship must work to earn the reward, and many fellowships do achieve the 10th chest in the same tournament.
This structure is fine and non-competitive.

In the Fellowship Adventure:
Only 1 group could get the Rise of the Phoenix reward.
Only 1 group could get the Purple Phoenix Egg reward.
Only 1 group could get the Mysterious Magic egg reward.

If a single player in a 1 man FS were the only person to participate in the FA, then he would get the Rise of Phoenix with just 100 points and never have completed a single stage. The structure does not reward personal or fellowship effort it is based on competition.

Against my better judgement I'm going to reply again, even thought I told myself I wasn't going to ... I'll probably regret it, but oh well.

Sorry, I'll try to clearer as well -- so what? What is it about human nature that when someone gets something, other people have to say "I want one too! It wasn't easy enough for me to get!".

I do actually truly understand what you and others are saying, but I'm saying "I'm fine with that".
  • The three items listed were NOT exclusive to this event, so there was a previous opportunity for others to get the items.
  • There WERE rewards broken out by tier for ALL FS to get if they passed the threshold that Soggy was mentioning ... if any and all FS finished all three stages they got the exclusive Mana hut, plus other items for the previous two stages.
I understand this is a competitive aspect that is new to the game, but its completely optional, and the rewards given to the top FS were previously available via other non-competitive means.

Yes, my FS did well, but you can believe me or not when I say I would be happy for whichever FS took the first three spots and think "Great job for them! I hope our FS does better next time. I had fun with the event".

DeletedUser1016

Does anyone know where to find the final results? Have the developers provided this feature yet?

This is also true for my FS, and I enjoyed the event. The fact is though we can clearly see that regardless of our efforts, there will always be at least 3 fellowships that have larger cities with more room for buildings that will always beat us.
And if your FS is not in the running to achieve rank 1-3, then there is even less incentive to push further. My FS ranked 15 this week and felt that a single booster was not worth the effort and will likely do 1 path each stage next time unless the rewards improve.
it would get old pretty fast to keep watching the top fellowships on each server continually winning the big prizes.
I agree with the above assessments, after playing I can see that, ever getting the top 3 prizes is futile unless you are in the top, say 10 fellowships. They spend the most diamonds and have the largest cities to work with & make hundreds of lvl 1 buildings. No way to compete with that type of "skewed" situation and imbalance.

its an additional content that is completely optional to participate in. All that other content people played for 2 years is still there.
I think this too is correct. It's just another distraction to the game, just like all the other events. It's really not a "significant" contribution to our city's development or even to our place in ranking. As with all the other events, you get some extra stuff [i.e instants, specialty buildings, spells, KP, etc] to make your city "prettier" a bit more efficient with better buildings. The difference is that with all the other events I could determine what effort to exert to achieve some or ALL the prizes [I usually get lots], but with the FA, I need to compete against the top 10 fellowships to get the top prizes, and for a none cash player - that IS impossible. So I'll play the easiest path to get the 3 stages done, but why do more then that?

You know - the 3 reward buildings, to me, where just "Okay" - but I would really like to get the 3 - 14hour instants...now those are good prizes!!!

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser5776

Does anyone know where to find the final results? Have the developers provided this feature yet?
I think this too is correct. It's just another distraction to the game, just like all the other events. It's really not a "significant" contribution to our city's development or even to our place in ranking. As will all the other events, you get some extra stuff [i.e instants, specialty buildings, spells, KP, etc] to make your city "prettier" a bit more efficient with better buildings. The difference is that with all the other events I could determine what effort to exert to achieve some or ALL the prizes [I usually get lots], but with the FA, I need to compete against the top 10 fellowships to get the top prizes, and for a none cash player - that IS impossible. So I'll play the easiest path to get the 3 stages done, but why do more then that?

I will say that I agree with almost everything, but our FS did NOT spend diamonds as a rule. Just lots and lots and lots of WS and T1s ... members had > 50 extra WSs, and it wasn't unusual. Yes, some is about timing, because I didn't have a lot of extra space ... but big spending IS NOT necessary. Good planning is, however, if you don't spend.

DeletedUser9718

FA rewards are too puny and take up too much game time to reach. I am the ArchMage of a full 25 member fellowship. We may chose to not participate in the next one. How you you find out where your FS ranked?

DeletedUser1016

How you you find out where your FS ranked?
No ideas anyone? I've sent a ticket in asking the same question, no response yet.

EDIT: Just got this from Support: Please be aware that the first three Fellowships will receive a notification that they have placed within the Fellowship Adventure. At the moment, there is no "cumulative" ranking list showing all Fellowships. This is in the works, and we are hoping to have something similar in the future for the top ranking Fellowships to view their progress.

DeletedUser7370

I understand this is a competitive aspect
Thank you. That is all we are saying is the potential problem. Nearly everything else in this game is non-competitive. That brings in a certain type of player and player retention is already hard for this game. Adding a competitive aspect turns off players that are not interested in that style of play.

As for saying it is optional, that is completely irrelevant. It also is not about how well a person does. I played another game that similarly was similarly non-competitive. The was little to no player interaction, a Pokemon style combat system, and mostly you grew your space. Then the devs added a PvP race to the game. I still played and I won first place in 12 out of 13 races I participated in. Real life was too busy for me to win the 11th race. The whole time the player base was shrinking because the race demand a play style that did not fit with the player base.

The race demanded a highly active style when the rest of the game was very casual often with long timers. The race was competitive when nothing else in the game had been. People complained constantly about it being impossible for them to beat "pay to win" players. I never spent a penny on that game, but I still won. And every time I won I felt bad about it. Those 7 other players in those races were unlucky enough to be pitted against me, but I wasn't willing to play at less than my fullest ability. You see it is about empathy and understanding. The devs of that game had none of either and so I stopped playing.

My FS finished in 12 spot this time, but right before the end I looked farther down the list. The FS at 51st place and therefor getting no additional rewards for their efforts beyond the shortest path was 50 points behind the 50th placed. I shed a tear for them and all the wasted effort they did. In 56th place was the FS that ran the shortest path through the 3 rewards and 8 hours into the event had a score of 5050; which means they already started doing the pit. All their coordination to fly through the event so fast and numerous rounds through the pit was worthless.

Perhaps now you can understand why adding adding a competitive system in a non-competitive game is bad.

nightrider1

That's exactly right! The three fellowships that work the hardest win. Even the Olympic Games has only three prizes. Gold, Silver and Bronze. If you want to be in one of the top three spots you can. How? Work harder than everyone else. We did.
wrong those with the biggest pocketbook won it was impossable to obtain the levels early in the game without diamonds that I observed

SoggyShorts

our FS did NOT spend diamonds as a rule. Just lots and lots and lots of WS and T1s ... members had > 50 extra WSs, and it wasn't unusual.
How many of those members would you say have premium expansions? While they may not have bought badges with diamonds directly, if they bought space with diamonds, and used that space for extra level 1 workshops, it's still an advantage.
I understand this is a competitive aspect that is new to the game, but its completely optional
I'm sorry but this is a lazy irrelevant argument. Our position is not that we do not wish to do the event, actually it is the opposite-- we want to do it, therefore it being "optional" is meaningless. What is stopping us from enjoying the event to it's fullest is the knowledge that no matter how hard we work, we will not all get rewards for our score. If there is no change, then only 50 out of 1,000 fellowships will get the prize no matter how hard they try.

Yes, my FS did well, but you can believe me or not when I say I would be happy for whichever FS took the first three spots and think "Great job for them! I hope our FS does better next time. I had fun with the event".
Yes, my FS did ok, but you can believe me or not when I say that I would feel bad for whichever FS got less than us and think "So sad for them! I wish everyone got rewarded for their effort."

DeletedUser2824

I'm not one of those, "give every kid a medal" kind of person, but I agree with the original sentiments of this thread. A PvP element isn't what appeals to a large portion of Elvanar's player base. There are plenty of other games for that. A lot of us play this game because we don't have to compete for everything. Even the tournaments, though an effort to achieve, isn't really competitive because you get what you put in, no more, no less. We aren't getting something for nothing, but we also aren't getting nothing for something. For the FA, we aren't worried about what the top fellowships are getting for their efforts, we're worried for what we aren't getting for our effort. That kind of competition isn't why most of us play Elvanar. When I want my butt kicked I go play LoL. ;)

My fellowships had fun with the event. I may have words for the devs on some of their choices, but I rather like the basics of the FA and want to see it improve and come back. But spending so much time and effort not only to try and organize some kind of system we could work with to accomplish what we could (Inno's lack of in game tools doesn't help my crappy organization skills), but also actually working on trying to accomplish those things, only to receive a few instants and a building or two, doesn't really feel like a worthwhile reward for the effort expended. I don't like to work hard for something unless I feel it's worth my time to do so. My fellowship caters to those who enjoy playing, but have a lot going on, which means they aren't always available for coo-op events such as the tournaments, and now the FA. No big deal for the tournaments. Those who have the means and the will put in what they can and we get rewarded for it in the end, whatever we put in. Not so with the FA. We did well under the circumstances, but there's no way we can compete with the top fellowships, which is no big deal, we never do. Except now since we don't compete fiercely enough, we get stuck with minimal prizes, and that's after putting our best foot forward. There is no getting more, even with more effort, because there is simply no way we can compete like that. Again, that isn't what I'm looking for in this game. I've got plenty of other games to fulfill the competitive need when I feel it, that are made just for that.

SoggyShorts

I was amazed that so many people put in so much effort for such crap prizes. On my server the number one slot was literately bought. So not only has competition been introduced to the game but so has Pay To Win which most likely was the point.
I suspect that this may change. There is always some extra enthusiasm for something new. If the prizes don't get better, and the extra prizes remain 100% impossible for all but 50 fellowships I can only see a decrease in participation.